Author Topic: Hola!  (Read 5599 times)

dude

• Handlebar Stache
Hola!
« on: June 21, 2019, 07:46:28 AM »
Posted briefly in the 2019 Fire Cohort thread, but figured I'd check in over here. 41 days since I was emancipated from the working life, and it's been every bit as good as I expected it would be. Spent two weeks in Hawaii chilling, surfing, diving and snorkeling. Our oceanfront Airbnb place on Maui was spectacular, with dozens of sea turtles swimming and feeding in the ocean right out front, and coming ashore to rest in the sun. I snorkeled with them every day. It was sublime.  On the Big Island, I went night diving with manta rays, and it was easily one of the most amazing and beautiful things I've ever witnessed. I've watched my video highlights on YouTube dozens of times since.

Back here at home I've been waking up each morning without the sound of an alarm. Since retirement, I took up something I've wanted to do but never had the time for -- daily meditation and yoga. It has been so fulfilling already! It's an amazing way to start each day! Other activities include climbing, trail running, working out, and jiu jitsu. I love all the free time I have to engage in these pursuits that I love.

Upcoming plans include a 3-week climbing trip to the intermountain west (CO/UT/WY) next month, and a 3-4 week trip back out west in August (WY & Vegas for jiu jitsu, then SoCal for a surfing tour). Beyond that, I don't know yet. Taking it one day at a time.

Bottom line is, FIRE freedom is amazing!

LifePhaseTwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Hola!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 08:57:12 PM »
Congrats! Yep, FIRE freedom is amazing! It’s been 7 months for me, and every day I feel so fortunate to wake up without an alarm and no work pressures. I still kind of feel like I’m playing hooky  - ha ha
Enjoy!

FIREstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 09:06:42 PM »
dude, it seems like you should be in the decompression stage.  It sounds like you are killing it.   Maybe I can join the party in about 9 months.

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 12:07:34 PM »
Dude,  sounds like you are really enjoying yourself!  I agree, FIRE is great!  I didn't retire real early (61), but have plenty of 'stache" to enjoy a lot of travelling, hobbies and projects around the house.  It's been 4 years for me, and each year has been better than the last!

Miss Prim

SimpleLifer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 11:01:48 PM »
congrats!  Can't wait to be posting something similar! 

herbgeek

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2019, 04:41:00 AM »
I'm on my 4th week of retirement, and while I'm not off doing exotic travel, I am enjoying every minute.  Nap at lunchtime?  Sure, why not.  Don't feel like finishing this project  today?  Sure, there's plenty of time tomorrow or the next day to finish it.  I'm still working to find my footing/a new routine- it still feels like just a few days off (now weeks), but IT IS ALL AWESOME.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 06:12:26 PM »
Well done!  I'm just a week away from my Independence Day.  I hope I experience half the cool stuff you have in such a short period of time.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 06:54:34 AM »
Big congrats on the FIRE @dude. Sounds like you're living it up. BTW Mammoth is open until Aug this year...just saying ;-).

"After receiving a record amount of snow for May, Mammoth Mountain on Friday announced it would be extending its ski and snowboard season into August"

@spartana -- I saw that! It's nuts!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 07:01:48 AM »
If I wasn't such a Luddite, I might be able to figure out how to upload some pictures, but alas . . .

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 07:03:10 AM »
Hmm, let me see . . .

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 07:04:46 AM »
I think it's working.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 07:06:52 AM »
Petit Grepon, RMNP

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 07:08:17 AM »
Symmetry Spire, GTNP

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 07:09:33 AM »
Symmetry Spire, GTNP

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 07:10:28 AM »
Grand Teton, GTNP

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 07:12:55 AM »
Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone Nat'l Park

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 07:15:18 AM »
Anyway, you get the gist. Heading back out for Leg 2 in a few days, with many more adventures to come, including a SoCal surfari (camping and surfing down the coast for a week).

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 10:24:09 AM »
dude!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 07:17:44 AM »
Hey I recognize some of those places (and that dude too ;-)). I'm headed out this weekend for Grand Teton myself and then north and east eventually.  I broke my hand and tore my MCL a bit ago so Ill just be limping along the trails enjoying the scenery for now. Glad you are enjoying your FIRE. It just gets better and better!

ETA: Glad you posted photos of your FIRE live as it seems everyone makes the assumption that if you retire early (or even normal age)  you're going to plop down on the couch eating bon-bons and watching Dr. Phill all day for the rest of your life. Glad to see so many inspirational and very fit and active FIREd types in their 40s, 50s and beyond here. PM me if you get to SoCal in case I'm still around.

@spartana -- I'll be back in Jackson Hole again late next week, and in SoCal from the 25th to the 7th.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 07:18:48 AM »

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 12:17:16 PM »
It's fun for me to see poster's I've seen around for several years end up in FIRE.

:)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2019, 12:00:48 PM »
Love the pics and the update.

Sorry about the injuries, @spartana. Hope you're well on the way to recovery.

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 12:57:08 PM »
The dude abides.