Author Topic: Feeling proud of our FIRE accomplishment  (Read 5401 times)

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
Feeling proud of our FIRE accomplishment
« on: May 07, 2018, 08:32:01 AM »
An Edward Jones advisor just stopped by the house. She was moving to the local office and was going door-to-door to meet some of the people in the neighborhoods around where she lives.

EJ: How did I catch you at home on a Monday?
Me: Well...I'm unemployed.
EJ: Oh....are you looking for work?
Me: No, not really.
EJ: Are you early retired?
Me: I am!
EJ: Do you use anyone for investing?
Me: No, I've always self managed. I just use index funds. I want to set it and forget it since I've going to be invested for a long time and I don't want to pay attention to all the up and downs along the way.
EJ: It's so nice to hear someone say that!
Me: Yeah, I know I'm the oddball.
EJ: Well if you'd ever like me to review what you're doing I be happy to do that at no charge.
Me: Ok, thanks!
EJ: Have a nice day!

Oh the gratification I got from that conversation! Not in a vindictive kind of way, but in a proud-of-our-accomplishment kind of way. I was quite surprised that she made the leap from not looking for work to early retired as her first question. Either that or I look way older than I am (I hope not!). There is some affluence in this area so maybe it's more common around here than I know.

I just had to share with someone and I've become acutely aware of the tension that begins to build when we have a conversation with pretty much anyone in real life that involves an aspect of us not working so I couldn't think of one person I know that I wanted to share this proud moment with (other than my wife).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:35:31 AM by Mr. Green »

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
Re: Feeling proud of our FIRE accomplishment
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 08:42:11 AM »
Sweet!

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 03:49:55 PM »
Heh. I've had variations of these folks coming by. Ameriprise etc. "I'm new in the area etc etc".

I shut them down in about 7 seconds with " I have a Masters in Wealth and Trust Management" (of hard knocks, YMOYL, ERE and MMM).

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 05:36:46 PM »
That sounds like a good adviser.

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 05:45:18 PM »
Awesome.  Does sound like a good advisor in fact, she certainly had a good read on the situation.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:50:19 PM »
Way to be home on a Monday Mr. Green! 

Agreee, but Edward Jones!  So conflicted. 

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 04:33:29 AM »
Nothing freaks me out more than strangers coming to my front door. If I’m not expecting you or you’re not bringing food, stay away from my house!

Vegasgirl

• Stubble
  • Never have a battle of wits with an unarmed person
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 05:03:54 AM »
Sweet !!

Tiff

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 09:14:43 AM »
Something to aspire to! Can't wait to be home during the week!

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 07:31:49 AM »
Awesome Mr. Green!

Nothing freaks me out more than strangers coming to my front door. If I’m not expecting you or you’re not bringing food, stay away from my house!

Since I'm not good with snappy answers at the front door, I've typed a list of key phrases to ward off the door pounders.    The two main local  proselytizing religions are included.  Members of those religions have verified that the phrases would be effective in warding off the door pounders.

Unfortunately, I've yet to have to use them, but with FIRE, there is hope. 

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »

Agreee, but Edward Jones!  So conflicted. 

I've dealt with a LOT of financial advisors in my line of work, and not all Edward Jones advisors are awful.  Not all Northwestern insurance people are awful, either (although the bulk are not very good, IME).

Since I'm not good with snappy answers at the front door, I've typed a list of key phrases to ward off the door pounders.    The two main local  proselytizing religions are included.  Members of those religions have verified that the phrases would be effective in warding off the door pounders.

Please share these key phrases.  Inquiring minds want to know.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 02:29:54 PM »
I love it!  One of my fears is how frequently I'll have to explain myself to people who don't get ER.  To have someone guess so quickly and treat it like it's normal (well, exceptional, but within the bounds of normal human activity)...I imagine is a real treat!  And extra good on her for movin' on.  Very perceptive. 

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 03:30:21 PM »
I love it!  One of my fears is how frequently I'll have to explain myself to people who don't get ER.  To have someone guess so quickly and treat it like it's normal (well, exceptional, but within the bounds of normal human activity)...I imagine is a real treat!  And extra good on her for movin' on.  Very perceptive.
My standard response is that I'm unemployed. I say it happily as to not invite pity but most people immediately think it's bad so that usually ends the inquiry into what I do and the conversation moves on to other topics. It's been an effective response so far.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2018, 06:00:32 PM »
Glad the exchange went well!  Another sign that early retirement is slowly creeping into the minds of the general public (even if she was a financial advisor). 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2018, 10:05:01 PM »
My standard response is that I'm unemployed. I say it happily as to not invite pity but most people immediately think it's bad so that usually ends the inquiry into what I do and the conversation moves on to other topics. It's been an effective response so far.

That's very brave.  I'm sort of afraid of the pity, but mostly afraid (whether I say unemployed or RE) that they'll just assume I'm living off the largesse of my partner (who is not retiring early).  But definitely a good tactic I'll use for people whose judgment I don't care about.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2018, 10:15:08 PM »
This is off topic, but I have never once seen an Edward Jones office where I live (HCOL, tech central), but I have seen scores of them in what I will call un-affluent states when I am on travel. Do they prey on a certain type of person? Do people in high tech/high income areas invest differently on average?

EndlessJourney

• Stubble
  • Nomad? Yes, Mad!
    • 7 Years Round the World by Motorcycle
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 02:44:32 AM »

I use the term, "funemployed"!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 04:11:22 AM »
This is off topic, but I have never once seen an Edward Jones office where I live (HCOL, tech central), but I have seen scores of them in what I will call un-affluent states when I am on travel. Do they prey on a certain type of person? Do people in high tech/high income areas invest differently on average?
I'm across the Bay, and I've seen a couple of small EJ signs around, but not many. I think your theory is very plausible. Also, I suspect that there is far less "door-to-door" solicitation in our corner of the world than occurs elsewhere.

Thanks for sharing this great post-FIRE tale, @Mr. Green!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 05:08:47 AM »
Thanks for brightening my morning.

Please share these key phrases.  Inquiring minds want to know.
+1

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
That's such an awesome story! Even when you don't care about others' reactions, it still feels good to have some validation. I was chatting with my Dad the other day and he is just thrilled that we're ~2 years out from RE, so I share your pleasure at positive feedback!

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2018, 11:09:43 AM »
I actually feel kinda sorry for those Edwards Jones guys.  I live fairly near an EJ office and they've dropped by three times (over a few year period), most recently just about a week or so ago.  I just said something like "Index investor, happy as a clam! Bye!"  He took the time to send a hand-written note thanking me for telling him to get off my lawn.  Gotta be a tough job. 

Hikester

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2018, 08:46:10 PM »
Happy to hear your story Mr. Green. You should be proud of your accomplishment.

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2018, 12:15:32 AM »
Awesome Mr. Green!

I have invited a few of the religious folks in for a discussion, or had one on the deck. They have all thanked me for posing them challenging questions and "representing atheism in a way different than they had heard" ( I paraphrase). Different members of those groups now always skip our door.

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2018, 12:20:17 AM »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Back when I was skiing my brains out day after day year after year and just working enough for bare bones survival ( early, early barely funded retirement in my 20's and 30's, lol) we called it Funemployed.
"I'm funemployed" is just fun to say and goes for employment or unemployment.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!