Author Topic: Escape from Alcatraz :)  (Read 3836 times)

JN2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • FIRE notice
Escape from Alcatraz :)
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »
"Welcome to Alcatraz". So said the (unofficial) sign above the door of the foundry I used to work at in South Yorkshire. Well, as of September 18th 2015 I am FIRED!

When I was in my 30's I'd hoped to retire at age 55. Well, due to a seven year "career break" I assumed I'd be working until age 65. Then two years ago (having reached 55) I stumbled across MMM (maybe thanks to The OilDrum?). In the course of a weekend I created a spreadsheet that reduced my retirement age by over 3 years. Amazing. Selling the (extra) Alfa Romeo brought it closer by 6 months (monthly savings) and then another 3 months (for increased capital).

Thanks to some additional capital inflows (thanks Mum!) I was able to retire at age 57 1/2. The cheese and wine retirement party was held on the same day, watching the sun go down overlooking Cardigan Bay (Wales). Wonderful :)

My plans are to spend more time in Italy and learn more Italian, to be a bon vivant and a gentleman of leisure. Not sure how this fits in with the Mustachian work ethic :) I'm writing this from Piazza Santa Croce in Florence...

My financial style is based on a book I read almost 20 years ago, Die Broke. Unlike MMM, my plan is to live off capital, not income. At least until all my 5 pensions have kicked in (age 66) and then I'll be set for life (at around $2500 per month, today's money). I am currently renting and the plans allow for that (and inflation). I may buy a place in Italy; the UK is too expensive for me.

So thank you MMM. You have given me back years of my life! I am very grateful.

John

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
Re: Escape from Alcatraz :)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 11:51:18 AM »
Congratulations!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 12:44:41 PM »
Fantastic!

I'm an expat to the US from the UK. We took a trip back to Blighty this Summer. I was amazed at how expensive things have become!

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 02:38:39 PM »
Nice!

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 02:53:28 PM »
Nice to see another retired Brit here - welcome.

Florence shows great taste in retirement travel.

rob in cal

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 09:30:25 AM »
   JN2, exciting story.  Please keep us updated about your life in Italy.  Have you visited Umbria and the Perugia region? I still have fond memories of my visit there when my sister was at the university for Foreigners in the 1980's.

tomita

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 06:29:24 PM »
good move !

we enjoyed a very short visit to Rome and found that the weather was very pleasant, the food tastes better and it seems like a good destination to enjoy life,

keep us updated !