Author Topic: Do you really have to retire 'to' something??  (Read 10888 times)

John Doe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Do you really have to retire 'to' something??
« on: January 09, 2017, 12:35:03 PM »
I am currently FI and am moving to part time status at work for one year (maybe two) to ease the transition into full retirement (I am currently 50 years old).  When I told my employer of my desire to change my status with them, I was quite prepared to simply leave if the part time arrangement could not be made to work.  When I made this decision, it was not because I had something specific in mind to retire 'to', but rather it was because I no longer saw any reason to stay in my current employment capacity: 1) I no longer required the money, 2) the work while interesting, if I never did it again there would not be a void in my life 3) the people with whom I work are quite nice and I enjoy interacting with them but with the exception of perhaps two persons, my personal relationship with the people with whom I work is not going to prevent me from wanting to leave, and 4) while the organization has treated me well over the years, lets just say that some things have occurred that have bothered me to the point that I don't feel I 'owe' the company anything that would require me to stay.

So in short, while I don't have concrete plans on what to retire 'to', I don't see that as a reason not to make a change and start the retirement process.  I view the lack of a plan to be part of the challenge and something I would rather face at age 50 than 8-12 years later just because I could not figure out what that next phase will actually look like ahead of time.

So what do you think?  Am I nuts? Will I find the transition difficult?  Will boredom quickly become a concern?

All thoughts are most welcome.

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
Re: Do you really have to retire 'to' something??
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 12:56:02 PM »
I did not retire to anything. I'm only about 6 months into it, so I might not be the best case study. But there's no void in my life. I didn't hate my job or coworkers or anything dramatic, I just prefer not going there.

An outsider observing my life might think it's boring - but I don't find it boring and that's what matters. I'm pretty happy riding my bike for a couple hours a day, doing a bit of neglected home maintenance. Having a relaxed pot of coffee at home and watching the birds in the morning. When spring comes, I'm excited to get my vegetable garden under control again - it used to be awesome, then got neglected. I volunteered for a couple short term nonprofit projects, but they were day projects, not months or an eternity.

The retirement police aren't going to come and arrest you if you aren't "doing it right."

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 01:15:27 PM »
I can identify strongly with your situation.

I am a step behind you though and really need to make the part time discussion occur.

I have interests that I'd like to commit more time to and less work would allow for that, but they are not life encompassing.  Even my most passionate pursuits will likely ebb and flow or even change entirely.

Even if you ended up well and truly bored, you could seek re-employment elsewhere.

What is the worst that happens?  You make less money in the end?  Money you don't need.   

You end up in a job you like even less?  Can you not quit again?

You are retiring 'to' more freedom of choice.

Libertea

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
I would say it depends on the person.  Some people are content to basically "do nothing" in particular.  Those people probably were never all that emotionally vested in their careers.  To them, their job was a way for them to earn a living.  It sounds like you might fit into that category.  But other people are much more goal-oriented and career-driven.  Their careers are an intrinsic part of their identity and often their sense of self-worth.  A lot of Type A professional types fall into this category.  For someone like this, to go from a profession to doing nothing is akin to dying slowly.  That's why you see certain people continuing to work into their 70s and 80s even though they clearly don't need the money.

You know yourself and your personality and needs better than anyone else.  Are you someone who lives to work, or who works to live?  If it's the former, then yes, you probably do need something to retire to, even if it's unremunerated.  But if it's the latter, then you'll probably be fine without a Grand Plan of Retirement.

Gunny

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 01:29:02 PM »
I did not retire to something.  As a matter of fact, I made the decision to retire quite suddenly when I realized I could. Having said the, I wanted a full life as free of stress as possible and I no longer wanted the control over my life that work represented.  I have this life now and keep busy doing what I want.  I love the things that fill my life now. coaching youth sports, subbing at the local HighSchool where I mentor kids, play more guitar, work around the house, fish and hunt as much as I want...there is plenty to do without actually retiring to something.  BUT, I could not have retired to nothing.  I retired to my life, I guess one could say. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:33:28 PM by Gunny »

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 04:41:14 PM »
Ernie Zelinski wrote several books on retiring early and in one of them he talks about a way to brainstorm all sorts of ideas for post retirement.   Exercise ideas, travel ideas, self actualization goals (all those things you always wanted to to), etc etc.  Its a great way to come up with fun things to do after retirement.  They can be as grandiose (or not) as you want.

FIRE should mean doing whatever you want to do, whatever that happens to be.

momcpa

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 06:48:20 PM »
JohnDoe.............your entire 1st paragraph is totally identical to where I'm at right now.  Starting one year pt-time, relationships to co-workers, I like it but a few things have changed, etc. etc. etc.  (I'm a couple years older.)

I'm quite an introvert and I think that will play into my retirement plans.  Read, watch movies, visit close family members, go for walks, go on modest vacations, visit museums, gardens, and monuments  Nothing big or grand.  Just doing things that make me happy and comfortable.  On my schedule, at my pace.

Good luck finding what you want to do, what makes you happy.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:03:00 AM »
You mean you're not going to buy an RV and roam North America, blogging about your travels and experiences (please, name your RV; you have to name your RV) before jet setting off around the world burning massive amounts of carbon to 'slow travel' to all the selfie-inducing tourist traps?  You're clearly not doing it right; one has to retire to something like this. :D

But seriously, sounds like you've got it all figured out. Enjoy your retirement!

twell1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »
This message struck cord.  I believe I'm FI.  At 48, I have most of my non-mortgage and taxes paid by dividend income from investments.  My biggest concern, aside from explaining to everyone why I retired early, is a lack of outside interests.  I think it would be very easy to never get off the couch.  Perhaps seeking part time status is a way to dip a toe into FIRE.  Any posts on volunteering or getting on boards of charities?

John Doe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 10:42:24 AM »
Thanks to all for your comments to date.  The reason I posted the question was that pretty much everyone I have told my plans too, of course the first question is always 'what are you going to do with your time?'.  When I reply that while I have some ideas, I don't really know for certainty what I will be doing, but I look forward to trying to figure it, I usually get a response of 'you'll be so bored'.  Also, I recall seeing a thread or two on this forum about how important it is to have something to retire to.  I don't think I agree with that sentiment, but nevertheless I am very interested in the views and experiences of others.

Bolshevik Artizan

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »
Lots of interesting comments on this thread. Two observations; firstly - a big factor for me in stepping away from work at the age of 45 was seeing people 60+ who were working not for the money but for the ego satisfaction that having an "important position" gave them. This was not a place I wished to be in. That said, (second observation here) I do believe it's crucial for our physical health and our sanity to have something to do.

I've retired, but in reality I've just changed career from being a corporate person to being a freelance writer. And I have a son, a dog and 1.5 unruly acres of wilderness to tame, as well as a big house to manage. All of that is plenty- more than enough. Family and friends keep asking me if I'm bored: I say I don't have the time to be bored!

In summary - as other posters have said here - I think having things to occupy you will be essential. Without them, one may as well stay at work; though please see my first observation above.

Bolshewik A.

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 12:10:24 PM »
JP at the Money Habit just posted a good round up of various blog posts on this topic.

http://themoneyhabit.org/22-early-retirees-describe-life-cubicle/

I think it is important to "retire to something" but the "something" really differs from person to person.  One person's "something" might look like another person's "not much" and that's OK.  And interests will change over time.

If possible boredom is a worry, that should be addressed now, i.e. paid, enforced work shouldn't be the only source of interest or meaning in our lives at any stage.

I'm retiring this summer, "early" at 60 (haha) and I get this question a lot!  I say "I have a few things I'd like to pursue but am not rushing into any commitments", then I throw out a few general ideas, e.g. brushing up/learning new languages, literacy work, and that seems to hold 'em.  As long as I seem confident and satisfied, the questions die off.  :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »
I have dozens of things that I want to retire to . . . playing and writing more music, bike touring, gardening, renovating our home, volunteering at some local charities, spending more quality time wiht my son, catching up on my reading, etc.  Personally, if I had no ideas of things to do I'd be worried about the concept of retirement.  Boredom leads to depression and my motivation to retire is to increase net happiness, not reduce it.

thebattlewalrus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »
I'm still about 10 years from retiring but ever person that has retired that I talk to says their lives are busier now than when they worked full time. They travel more, do more things around the house, visit friends/family, etc... Each person is different but I think it ultimately depends what a persons idea of retiring "to" is. I plan on retiring "to" more mountain biking, volunteering, and some more traveling.

John Doe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »
I would say it depends on the person.  Some people are content to basically "do nothing" in particular.  Those people probably were never all that emotionally vested in their careers.  To them, their job was a way for them to earn a living.  It sounds like you might fit into that category.  But other people are much more goal-oriented and career-driven.  Their careers are an intrinsic part of their identity and often their sense of self-worth.  A lot of Type A professional types fall into this category.  For someone like this, to go from a profession to doing nothing is akin to dying slowly.  That's why you see certain people continuing to work into their 70s and 80s even though they clearly don't need the money.

I think the quote above may be the reason for the reaction I am getting from most of my peers.  I do work in a professional field where many of my colleagues and our clients are high achievers.  They love what they do for a living and for many it really is a strong part of their identity.  When I say that I want to have the time to simply ride my bike, actually read a book for pleasure, try out some volunteer opportunities to see if I have a passion for any of them, perhaps work in our electoral process etc., some of them look at me like I have two heads.  To each his own I guess.

Txtriathlete

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 03:58:28 PM »
I "retired" about three years ago although I have continued to work occasionally as a consultant. One thing I was not prepared for was not having anyone to interact with during the day (other than my spouse who is also "retired" but still puttering). All my friends work. I'm ok on my own for the most part but it would be nice to have someone to hang out with or do stuff with during the day. I've considered taking a part time job at a bike or motorcycle shop (my interests) but not really that motivated yet.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 07:23:01 AM »
I retired a year ago after knowing for about a year before that, that I could if I wanted to. A crisis came up at work that would require more than I felt I had to give, and I quit on the spot.

I found most of the first year of retirement very disorienting. Not sure if pre-planning would have helped or not. The biggest help for me came in really taking to heart that I did not have to do anything I was supposed to do in retirement. I took on activities at the beginning simply to fend off judgement by others. That was a mistake. I'm happier now doing a lot of what appears to be nothing to the outside world.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 08:52:28 AM »
Been ER for almost four years, and was much like you.  No matter what ER would bring, it was going to be on my terms, and in and of itself, that's the magic.  Unlike many folks who are always busy, doing something, always wanting to travel, be on the move, etc in ER, I am the exact opposite.  Being an introvert, there is little I love more than to simply have a calm, quiet, peaceful surrounding to do as I please, many times seeming nothing from the outside.  Sure won't make for an exciting Facebook page, or snappy blog, but then again that is not my style.  The joy I continue to get from seemingly doing nothing works well for me.  Now when there is a big snow storm coming, I can stay cozy in bed, and enjoy the kind of silence, vibe only it can bring - not dread for another trip to work on crazy roads, then more stress returning home. 

This time of year also means I get to enjoy feeding birds, watching them while I enjoy a peaceful cup of tea, then go out for my brisk walk, where I interact with people, many strangers, looking for ways to help them out.  Later in the eve, I get to do my exercises, and this helps with my physical and mental fitness.  No more weekend have to go shopping trips = much less stress, etc.  Not having a schedule is the best thing ever.  It's freedom, true freedom.  I can choose to do about anything I please, or sit back and think, enjoying that as well.  I also like the aspect that ER challenges who you really are, what you stand for, that you maintain integrity.  I have enough $$$ and time now to put on one hell of a show/sucka/clown show, but as always, even when I could not, I maintain.  I love living way below my means, living a very non-luxury lifestyle, austere, but solid and honest.  Like many here, we were very Mustachian before we had a word for it.  All of this, is a "something" to retire to IMO.

Lastly, I did mention at first how much I generally dislike travel - it's the process anymore for me, but I will say I took a trip to Denver a few months ago, and wow, what  place.  It feels absolutely booming, and I hope it does not destroy what it seems folks are flocking to and for.  Gotta say the weed scene was too surreal, and simply amazing.  Good for you Colorado!  Good luck John Doe - even if you fly by the seat of your non office suitable pants in ER, you will enjoy the ride.  Look forward to you joining us!

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 09:39:25 AM »
Any posts on volunteering or getting on boards of charities?

Are you a Veteran Twell?  Let me a share my ER volunteer story if I may.  Being a vet, and seeing first hand at times how they are poorly treated, used as political pawns, you name it, I felt a need to help, but not sure exactly where.  A website I visited, mentioned an opening for a vet rep hospice position, and somehow it clicked.  I was accepted, did my training, medical exam passed, and on to my first assignment.  Before this, folks I would tell would say "my God, that's so depressing", "why not drive them around, plan a parade", etc.  I came to find out, it is perhaps the greatest gift you can give these folks.  Some of these people, were dropped off at facilities by family, as if an unwanted pet at a shelter, never to return.  I'm a big advocate of dignity, and this position afford it in spades to those who needed it most.

Think about it, you know you are going to pass, many times with no one, or with well meaning non-military surrounding you, and you just want to go out like a soldier...  With dignity.  I also came to discover, many of these folks had incredibly painful war time experiences never shared with anyone, and in a way, afforded them a way to offload a terrible burden to a non-judging confessional, allowing them peace before passing.  I also heard stories of great compassion, sacrifice, reflection on what it means to be human, and what true hardship meant.  It was an absolutely humbling, amazing experience, and completely the opposite of depressing.  I tell my story, because ER affords us a very great gift of time, to do work in the service of others, a duty I highly recommend.  Not that good work is not, or can not be done at a food bank, library, whatever; only that what may seem out of your area of comfort, perhaps is where you can best serve.  Sharp salute rendered, to all who give back to others in need. 

Racer X

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 10:01:41 AM »
One of the things I've found I have really enjoyed during the past 8 months of retirement is the ability to do whatever happens to strike my fancy at the moment.  I have a long list of to-dos, special projects, hobbies, and general chores from which to chose, and depending upon my mood, I can do almost anything I want.  It's kind of fun to wake up, have a cup of coffee, and consider what the day's plan should be. 

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 10:06:13 AM »

Are you a Veteran Twell?  Let me a share my ER volunteer story if I may.  Being a vet, and seeing first hand at times how they are poorly treated, used as political pawns, you name it, I felt a need to help, but not sure exactly where.  A website I visited, mentioned an opening for a vet rep hospice position, and somehow it clicked.  I was accepted, did my training, medical exam passed, and on to my first assignment.  Before this, folks I would tell would say "my God, that's so depressing", "why not drive them around, plan a parade", etc.  I came to find out, it is perhaps the greatest gift you can give these folks.  Some of these people, were dropped off at facilities by family, as if an unwanted pet at a shelter, never to return.  I'm a big advocate of dignity, and this position afford it in spades to those who needed it most.

Think about it, you know you are going to pass, many times with no one, or with well meaning non-military surrounding you, and you just want to go out like a soldier...  With dignity.  I also came to discover, many of these folks had incredibly painful war time experiences never shared with anyone, and in a way, afforded them a way to offload a terrible burden to a non-judging confessional, allowing them peace before passing.  I also heard stories of great compassion, sacrifice, reflection on what it means to be human, and what true hardship meant.  It was an absolutely humbling, amazing experience, and completely the opposite of depressing.  I tell my story, because ER affords us a very great gift of time, to do work in the service of others, a duty I highly recommend.  Not that good work is not, or can not be done at a food bank, library, whatever; only that what may seem out of your area of comfort, perhaps is where you can best serve.  Sharp salute rendered, to all who give back to others in need.

Bravo to you. Truly inspiring. I'm in the process of going more and more part-time, and don't have anything specific in mind to "retire to" either. I have several areas of interest, and hope to find something that just clicks, and provides a service with personal impact, as you have.

Thank you so much for sharing your story.

pudding

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 12:17:57 PM »
I have this handyman business and I can jump in and out of working or not working quite easily.

That works for me.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »
I fire'd to nothing 1 year and 9 months ago also at 50 and just now am figuring out some more concrete things to do. For everyone its different. I needed sometime to just decompress and read and look at things I might want or not want to do.

SuperMex

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 02:54:58 AM »
When my father retired he started working harder than ever building homes on his empty lots and renting them out or selling them.

When I call it a day I have so much work lined up I may never finish it.

I have 8 empty lots I would like to build homes on to rent out. I have 50 acres that I plan on planting mahogany, teak, and coconuts on. I plan on doing simple projects to my rentals and fishing at least twice a week.

I may also start a small business that doesn't require a lot of work. 

My idea of being retired is to work when and how you want not to never work.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 03:04:50 AM »
When I retire I will do nothing or better put exactly what I normally do but I'll just get more relaxation time and probably do more of the things I like to do. To me it just means not going to work.

I can't wait.

twell1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 06:17:54 AM »

I'm not a veteran, but thanks for the ideas.  I've been looking at volunteer websites in my area and should add veteran activities to my list before I pull the plug.  For me, being single and hearing people mention the lack of human interaction has me concerned.  I think having a volunteer activity or two lined up would help alleviate becoming a hermit.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2017, 02:19:39 AM »
Nope.

I don't think you have to.

I think it would behoove many to have some ideas of what to do after ER, because otherwise it can be disorienting to suddenly be adrift.  But if that's not you, great!  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2017, 04:21:40 AM »
I have dozens of things that I want to retire to . . . playing and writing more music, bike touring, gardening, renovating our home, volunteering at some local charities, spending more quality time wiht my son, catching up on my reading, etc.  Personally, if I had no ideas of things to do I'd be worried about the concept of retirement.  Boredom leads to depression and my motivation to retire is to increase net happiness, not reduce it.

I am a new SAHM, but DH is super close to retiring. He feels like he needs to retire to something. Me, I am content to do nothing. I have so many interests that I don't have enough time. I am chomping at the bit in 3.5 years when both kids  will be in school full-time. I am sure it depends on your personality.

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 06:17:31 AM »
Not retiring to something is perfectly fine. Once you find yourself bored you can figure out a solution for that. Perhaps a different solution than you would at the normal retirement age (when very few people retire 'to' something, yet nobody seems to worry about them)...

Personally I have a few bigger plans after FIRE but most likely am going to take 6-18 months just to wind down, socialize with people I've met far to little when working, get in the best shape of my life etc. Even if I don't realize any of my big plans I don't think I'd ever be bored.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 06:57:05 AM »
  I retired a few weeks ago to nothing, but I find I'm working harder then when I was working.
Most of what I'm doing is delayed maintanence for the business and home, so
I hope the time on repairs will reduce over the next couple months.
   I did join Planet Fitness 3 days ago and have started working out.
Yesterday I had a project going, and for the first time, said to myself,
"I can do this tomorrow" so I stopped and went to the gym! :-)

My wife is still running our business so I can work any time I want, I don't want.
I have filled in for her, just to give her some time off a couple of times.
Working at the business is easier than what I have been doing, but I can do
what I have been doing, on MY schedule.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »
FIRE'd since 6/2015 here.

Did not FIRE "to" anything.

I think it is so personal, you really have to know yourself.

For example, when you vacation, are you a planner, or a "let's see how the day goes" person? How you answer might help you decide how much you want to plan ahead of time. Or maybe you love to try new things, AND you love to plan things. Then maybe planning nothing can be that new adventure.

As far as being "bored", I must admit I love "doing nothing", so no big plans worked out well for me.

I just noticed that when I use these "", I imagine myself doing the hand quote thing. I use them a lot sometimes.

What a great day :)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »

HEYYO!  The wife and I ER'd 6/2015 too!  :D

It boggles us how amazing everything is.  It sure hasn't gotten old.

I think it is so personal, you really have to know yourself.

For example, when you vacation, are you a planner, or a "let's see how the day goes" person? How you answer might help you decide how much you want to plan ahead of time. Or maybe you love to try new things, AND you love to plan things. Then maybe planning nothing can be that new adventure.

Also it might change.

I was a huge planner to get to FIRE.  Now we don't plan much at all.

I don't know where we'll be staying a few weeks from now, or how we'll get there.  We'll see. 

Be flexible and enjoying yourself.  That's all.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 10:29:19 PM »

HEYYO!  The wife and I ER'd 6/2015 too!  :D

It boggles us how amazing everything is.  It sure hasn't gotten old.

You were teaching in WI, right? Me too:)

It sure is fantastic. For me, not interesting enough to blog about, but exactly what I want right now. Talk to you later.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2017, 12:59:25 AM »
We taught in NV. Close enough. :)

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2017, 06:16:58 AM »
We taught in NV. Close enough. :)

At least the weather is the same.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2017, 10:42:24 PM »

I have a stack of projects that are piling up for very similar reasons. "I can do that tomorrow... or next month... or whenever." Isn't it great?

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2017, 07:17:19 AM »

I have a stack of projects that are piling up for very similar reasons. "I can do that tomorrow... or next month... or whenever." Isn't it great?

Yes it is!
It's  8:15 am, and I'm off to the gym, bye.

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2017, 07:53:55 AM »
One of the things I've found I have really enjoyed during the past 8 months of retirement is the ability to do whatever happens to strike my fancy at the moment.  I have a long list of to-dos, special projects, hobbies, and general chores from which to chose, and depending upon my mood, I can do almost anything I want.  It's kind of fun to wake up, have a cup of coffee, and consider what the day's plan should be.

I want to do the same with the addition of slow travel here and there. :-) I can't wait for ER/FI.

I believe I am 4 years away if everything goes as planned. I am not defined by my work. It seems like though last several years of mandatory work will be tough. I guess when it gets tough I will have to keep telling myself "stick with the plan, stick with the plan.". :-) 

DailyGrindFree

• Stubble
    • Daily Grind Free
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 08:23:09 AM »
BTW, I am off work today. My morning coffee and view from my window beats any day I spend in a cubicle.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 08:40:42 AM »
BTW, I am off work today. My morning coffee and view from my window beats any day I spend in a cubicle.
Straight up awesome.