Author Topic: Did you ever have that feeling?  (Read 4203 times)

flyingaway

• Bristles
Did you ever have that feeling?
« on: August 20, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »
After you become financially independent, you may lose interest in working as hard as you used to.
Did you ever have that feeling in a morning that you don't want to go to work any more, even your work is not very stressful? Was there any event that triggered that feeling?

Padonak

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Did you ever have that feeling?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 08:55:33 PM »
After you become financially independent, you may lose interest in working as hard as you used to.
Did you ever have that feeling in a morning that you don't want to go to work any more, even your work is not very stressful? Was there any event that triggered that feeling?

I have always had that feeling.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 09:39:14 PM »
FI enabled me to have a little more perspective.  I no longer had to value everything I did at work purely on the income it provided.  This is a little bit scary, but also incredibly invigorating!  FI doesn't necessarily imply you need to RE, but if it's not encouraging you to optimise your life, you're missing out (on something).  Work can be very satisfying, but if the work you're doing isn't floating your boat, FI gives you more choices than most to change that up.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 05:31:21 AM »
Once you reach FI it becomes so hard to put up with BS when you know you could just walk.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 10:13:09 AM »

HAHA!  Ditto!

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 12:36:48 PM »

I have never been excited to work for money. Not one day of my life. I was born to FIRE.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »
Think this question is in the wrong sub section of the forum. This is the POST fire... so that means folks that are not working or if they work, it's doing exactly what they feel like doing.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 11:13:50 AM »
I guess its a Post FI (only) question.

I'm there now.  My work is definitely not stressful.

Yes, every day I struggle a little coming to work.  My motivation is greatly diminished.  I continue because while we might be FI at a strong confidence level, we would still like to reach an even stronger one.  I suppose it really is just OMY syndrome.

I pep talk myself each day that I'll be doing really easy work while collecting a paycheck.

I find I accidentally get interested in some new daily work matter when I'm here.  That helps too.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:16:03 AM by Slee_stack »

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 04:33:40 PM »

I have never been excited to work for money. Not one day of my life. I was born to FIRE.
I'll second that. Anything I want to do I'd gladly do for free. Anything I don't want to do, well, money only made it tolerable. Once FI, I gave them the deuces. Peace (out)!

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 07:27:11 PM »
I'm still working. I work in a good job - the pay is decent and I really like the people I work with on a daily basis.

I would rather not work at all though. I'd rather do other things and turning up to work regularly always gives me that feeling. As soon as I'm FI I'm out of here.

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 04:59:17 AM »

This! I will add the company itself added to that feeling as it morphed from a mom and pop type business into a full blown corporate shit show. Employees became expendable, benefits were cut and hours were expanded. When I went back for a short contract stint, they had lost their best Engineer and he came back and took their best electrician.

flyingaway

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 07:35:47 PM »
I guess its a Post FI (only) question.

I'm there now.  My work is definitely not stressful.

Yes, every day I struggle a little coming to work.  My motivation is greatly diminished.  I continue because while we might be FI at a strong confidence level, we would still like to reach an even stronger one.  I suppose it really is just OMY syndrome.

I pep talk myself each day that I'll be doing really easy work while collecting a paycheck.

I find I accidentally get interested in some new daily work matter when I'm here.  That helps too.

I think I started my OMY(s) this year. With so many unknows in the future, I just cannot quit. But I certainly feel that I do not have any motivations to go to work.