Author Topic: Daydreaming about FIRE  (Read 9151 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Daydreaming about FIRE
« on: September 10, 2017, 07:12:24 AM »
Is there already a thread for this?  What is your post-FIRE plan?

Here's what I'd like to do:

-travel regularly to my home country to bond with my niece and nephew and hang out with my sibling and parents.  This would probably have to be over summer vacations as I have kids in school.
-get involved in the local food coop.  I really like the coop but I don't have time to drive around picking up stuff from organic farmers like they require.  There seems to be a lot of work involved in the one near here.
-travel a lot over weekends
-take up pottery again - there's a cool pottery student near where I live but I can't find the time to devote to it now with ft work.
-exercise - I exercise during lunch at work but I'd love to do more
-volunteer at the kids' school
-teach some English.  I live in a European country where people don't speak very good English.  When I first moved here I taught English and really enjoyed it but it paid badly.  I'd love to go back to it just a few hours a week with students who I like as it was a lot of fun.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
Re: Daydreaming about FIRE
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
I built a detailed vision in my mind in the years leading up to my eventual FIRE in terms of what my days would consist of ...that was three years ago now. There are many tales (see the "I'm bored in FIRE" threads) on this forum of people who FIRE'd with no real plan. Just leaving a (potentially stressful) career is not always some magic elixir.

HH, the planning you are doing here is a very smart move. People should be well prepared for FIRE when it finally happens...many are not.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:39:32 AM »
Sounds like a lovely plan! Mine is:

--Teach English online 2-3 hours a day.
--Write children's stories.
--Do yoga everyday.
--Hang out with my kids. Take them to parks and the lake by our house. Join the YMCA down the street, and teach my kids to swim.
--Get into awesome shape (this will involve yoga and the YCMA).
--Travel to lots of national parks (Zion, Arches, and Acadia are currently top of the list).
--Spend 2-3 months in Europe at some point (maybe Portugal or Spain)--probably a few years off.
--Spend at least 3 weeks a year with parents, so my kids can get to know them.

Firehazard

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 01:52:07 PM »
Build a beautiful, productive food and flower garden
Daily adventures with my dog
Finish decorating my house, DIY
Flip old furniture for fun
Insource our lawn care
Improve my cooking skills
Read books
Camping vacations to stat and national parks
Volunteer at local animal shelter
Take naps on a blanket at the park
Daily bike rides
I could keep going......

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 02:16:40 PM »
I'm going to do All The Things :-) But not straight away. First, I'm going to make myself spend six months doing nothing at all, because I've never experienced doing nothing at all for a long period of time and I'd like to find out what it feels like. If DH continues to work for a while so that I can have my first-ever experience of being the stay-at-home spouse of a working person, that will be even better.

And then I'm going to train and compete properly at a sport for a while, because I've never discovered what I can do when sport is my priority.
And go to the local library, and read lots of books about all sorts of things.
And go hiking and bikepacking, especially after DH has retired too (I don't think he'll be far behind me).
And visit older relatives who live at a distance.
And cook proper meals.
And go on day courses to learn useful or fun practical skills.
And scan the local job advertisements to see if anything appeals.
And join a leisure centre for a while, and become an exercise class junkie until I get bored with them.
And occasionally get drunk, because it doesn't matter if the next day has to be written off.
And go somewhere Spanish for the whole of January and February.
And say, "No, I'm not doing that, because I don't want to," and know that the only consequence will be that the person will not ask me to do the thing I don't want to do again in future. But never have to say, "No, I can't do that because of work."

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 05:29:51 PM »
Spend summers doing the PCT, and AT.  Smaller backpacking trips once those itches are scratched.
Spend spring/fall going up El Cap big walls without a nasty job commitment weighing on my head.
Spend winter time hanging out around campfires in Joshua Tree.
Make portaledges and russian aiders down in my sewing room to keep my "make stuff" groove going.
Spend spare mornings working out.

Trudie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 12:38:02 PM »
- Grow a beautiful, productive kitchen and flower garden
- Donate flower bouquets from my garden to homebound people/people in Hospice
- Stay active in a faith community
- Eat less, move more
- Train for another marathon before I'm 50 using the run-walk-run method
- Regular cross-training work outs:  yoga, biking, walking, running, weight-lifting, and take swim lessons to swim laps
- Mentor international and/or first-generation college students
- Read lots and join interest and book groups at my public library
- Take at least two semesters of college Spanish and work on my language skills
- Slow travel, particularly in Central and South America
- Find at least one non-profit or community foundation to share my professional (CPA) skills with and where I can spend time with interesting people with humanitarian ideals
- Take the bus and walk places I used to drive
- Learn to make more good soups and breads; eat a more simple whole foods diet
- Splurge on the good concert tickets for all the great bands!

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »
Phase I

Sleep
Travel in my homemade camper van around the country for as long as it is fun
Get caught up playing my handheld video games
Read an enormous amount of books, reread my favorites
Practice my french and improve it, pick up another language or two for fun
Pick a subject I never went to school for but that interests me and self school
Hike and walk everywhere
Enjoy being out of doors as much as possible
Study up on the things I want to do in Phase II

Phase II
Buy some land
Garden, build a greenhouse, compost, etc
Putter on a daily basis on said items
Do many of things I did in Phase I though with less travel (I think)

jo552006

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 02:00:59 AM »
I once went to a financial advisor to make sure we were on track in a general sense.  He asked us what we'd really do with our time if we actually retired early like we want.  My DW was surprised and did not have a good answer.  He literally had to tell me to stop listing things and that he believed me when I told him I'd have no issues filling my time.

1. Family & Friends.  We already prioritize this, but just had to cancel a trip due to DW's job, so will be prioritizing these even more after retirement.

2. Restoration of things, antique Bolens tractors, and Cars/Trucks is my current hobby.  Probably restoration and sale of some things.

3. Probably flip a house for rent or sale.  Why, because our hobbies will be expensive.

4. Travel!  Lots of places, both domestic and international.

5. Garden, a lot

6. Start a charity organization or 4h or whatever, something that allows me to produce food for the local food pantries.

7.  Build a year round (or nearly) year round greenhouse for norther US climates.  Likely install a few if DW's prototype works well.

8. Really make exercise a priority.

9. Probably start a consulting business (if you don't have to be a PE to do so)

10. Help family and friends with projects

11. Be a great uncle to my nephew even if he is thousands of miles away.  Granted this falls under family, but important enough to note twice.

12. Build a Mame Cabinet

13. Learn French

14.  Bicycle... far.  Maybe across the US? For fun, but also possibly for health, depending on how fit I am when we retire.

There's so many things I want to do in my life, I can't think of everything right now, but these are some of the big ones.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 02:13:39 PM »

I started typing this and the list kept growing.... I don't understand how anyone can be bored in retirement.

1. Sleep. Last time I went on vacation/went travelling, I was sleeping 9-11 hrs a night, well working, I get 5-7 on average over a week(w/ weekends bringing that number up), so safe to say I am running perpetually on a deficit and need to have some recovery time from work.
2. Travel.
3. Read lots.
4. Draw/sketching.
5. Writing- I have a scifi/fantasy book I have been working on and off on for a few years(currently over 300 pages), plus beginning portions of sequels. I want to work more on that.
6. Learn a new language.
7. learn an instrument(DW may put a cabash on this to avoid bleeding ears/ dogs howling.........)
8. Buy acreage somewhere (pacific nw?)- Travelling will help w/ deciding an area.
9. Build a greenhouse/hugel beds/keyhole garden.
10. Learn to weld.
11. Build a motorcycle.

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 08:04:44 AM »
Here's my list:

1. Sleep - Longer over night and daily naps.
2. Exercise - 11 years of over 10 hours a day sitting have had an impact.  I hope daily Yoga and dancing will undo the damage
3. Dancing - I plan to dance several hours a day to train professionally in a formal partnership.  Also, dancing in Sao Paulo for Carnaval
4. Travel - Washington, Canada, Spain, and Argentina are on the list for 2018. Antarctica and Mendoza, AR are on the list for 2019
5. Sewing- I have too much fabric and too many patterns to work through
6. Languages - I want to improve my French and Chinese and learn Portuguese
7. Reading - I don't read enough and it makes me feel like a dunce.  I just don't have the mental space for it now
8. Trailer - I want to buy and renovate a vintage trailer for the Great Canadian Road Trip in 2018
9. Blogging - Maybe start a travel blog
10. On-line Business - I want to look into making money through affiliate websites or something similar.

There are a million more things that I can think of, but those are the big ideas.

SnufferBottle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • RetiredinFive
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 11:16:49 PM »
1) Ski October through April each year
2) Thru-hike in the spring/summer
3) Gold prospect whenever I'm not doing 1 or 2 (filing a new claim tomorrow!)
4) Rinse/repeat. Occasionally buy more properties as deals come up.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 05:28:25 AM »
We have some loose plans, in no specific order.

- Sell our current house because we need the stash it represents and invest it in index funds. Use spare time/FIRE time to make it attractive for sale to get a so high as possible price. The sales process might take some time, because it not an easy to sell house (steep roads, difficult in winter). We also think it is a house that for those reasons is not easy to rent out and would have a very high rental cost. So we would prefer to just sell it. We could even do this before FIRE, or when working part time for a year and then rent a house in the vicinity until full FIRE.

- Live a whole year in the very far north of Norway (70-71 degrees north). We have been there many times during summer, but not during winter. DH wants to try this as an experience, living through the dark time. We want to combine living there with outdoor activities, summer and winter. In the summer it is great for hiking and fishing for trout, grayling and char (salmon fishing is very expensive). DH has caught red king crab when free diving in the sea. That is delicious food. In the winter there is a snow scooter culture there. We'll might have to get one as well just to get you into the mountains for cross country skiing, but we'll see. We should rent a house there during that time.

- Make (a) long active journey(s). On the list is a long cycling tour (2 months?) through Europe, while sleeping on campsites or cheap airBnBs. Maybe also make a long mountain hike (Norway in the length or something like that) while camping in the wild. Having some place at home to return to. This could be a very small place.

- Figuring out what to do with our mountain cabin. It has an actual cost per year: property taxes, garbage, electricity fee, snow cleaning, private road. And it doesn't generate any money. As long as we haven't decided where to settle and want to spend time travelling, it is good to have some place to return to and where can can store our essentials. But this cabin does not have water. Waters needs to be carried in in tanks. Clothes must be washed be hand. This is doable in the summer, as there is a river close by, but would be a pain in the winter. We have been talking about selling it and renting a small apartment somewhere to have as a home base during travel period. But this is all not decided.

- Stay for a longer time (a month or more?) in the south of Europe in some place with dark sky, close to nice snorkeling/diving site. Bring along telescope. Live some place cheap, not in a hotel.

- When my mother or FIL wants to sell each of their houses (in the Netherlands), we could move in with them for some time and help make the house look representative. Both houses could use some refreshing.

- Move out into the country and find a cheap place where we want to live in the future. Some place where you can do cross country skiing, fishing in sea and lakes/rivers, hiking in mountains and forest. Close to national parks. Shop on cycle distance with safe roads. It should be close enough to a larger city to have short distance to a hospital and to potential customers for consulting jobs. I want to live some place where it is dark at night (in the winter), as I do astronomy. There should also be enough clubs to join (in various fields) to make new acquaintances, as we are both a bit introvert.

- Becoming more of a mushroom expert. Doing guided tours. Being able to pick mushrooms often during season, study a lot and have contact with experts. Largest community for this is in Oslo. But there are some other places out in the country with good local communities.

- Foraging food, especially fish to eat healthily and cheaply. Also growing food in the garden. Continue to brew beer, but that is something we have been doing for decades.

- Live in New Zealand for some months? DH has been here once for 2 weeks and would like to go back. Difficult with parents still living. MIL has very frail health. We wouldn't want to have to fly back from the other side of the world for some emergency. But I think she will not make it until we FIRE (December of 2019 in best case scenario). FIL is 76 or so and healthy but is getting notably old. My mother is 67 and healthy. Maybe this will have to wait until parents are gone. But we might be getting old by then.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 12:18:07 PM by Linda_Norway »

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »
All the lists so far sound really nice!  Sometimes I wonder if I have too much to do, but I think it'll be fine spread over many years :)

Here's mine:
- Travel the US - hopefully find a place to settle
- Build a small house
- Grow a garden
- Get better at cooking
- Learn to preserve foods
- Read more, including subjects I won't normally read like philosophy
- Get better at knitting
- Learn to sew and/or weave
- Adopt a dog
- Go hiking/camping
- Maintain a yoga practice (not a studio, just my own daily practice)
- Long term travelling in Europe
- Raise chickens and possibly a goat
- Learn Japanese
- Learn to play violin, alternatively might pick up piano again but not sure I want a large piano in my house.
- Start a family
- Make a video game (I'm already a software dev)
- Play through my backlog of video games
- Volunteer? might be as simple as giving the neighborhood kids a place to hang out after school or tutoring for free or as involved like an actual organization
- ...? I'm sure there's more

Obviously some of these things are incompatible with the others, but since I'm currently 28 I'm hoping I can have phases of life where I pick pieces of this.  Also I'm pretty sure I won't love doing 100% of this list, so I guess I want to figure out which subset of these hobbies/things I really enjoy doing.  We'll see!

NorthernDreamer

• Stubble
  • Canada
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »
I love to think about this - it gets me through slow days at work :) If we can retire in about 9-10 years, our children will be 12 and 14 (ish). We won't be moving or selling our house until they are well out of high school though. For now, I imagine early retirement including:
- exercising and walking more
- travel hacking some cool family trips
- reading
- being around for my kids' extracurriculars (and not feeling super rushed by fitting them in with work)
- learning to weave on a floor loom
- baking more
- working on a green thumb/gardening more
- volunteering in the community

We were chatting about this last night and my husband mentioned he thought helping coach high school sports would be so neat (here in Canada all coaches are voluntary, we have no "paid' sports coaches). He's quite into a few sports but I had no idea he had an interest in that. I thought that was so cool since he seemed excited by the idea.

Once the children have flown the nest, things would be different. We would eventually downsize into a smaller house or apartment. Do some slow travel. And as we age, it would be nice to spend time with any grandchildren if they happen and be able to help out our children if needed, if we live in the same region.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 03:17:36 PM »
Oh man, I have SO.MANY.THINGS. that I want to do, I can't possibly hope to do them all:

-Thru-hike the PCT (possibly CDT and AT as well, but PCT first)
-Hike the Wonderland Trail if we haven't already done it by then
-Everest Base Camp and Macchu Picchu, although we may get to them before FIRE
-regular day hikes/small backpacking trips between the longer ones
-maintain daily yoga and other exercise
-regularly practice the piano and actually get "good" again
-read ALL the books (so many I want to read)
-become fluent in multiple languages (I already have a running start in French, and some basics in Spanish and Italian, with some exposure to German and Swedish. Would like to add Dutch and possibly Japanese or Chinese)
-cross stitch regularly
-lots of travel, domestic and international, as I want to go everywhere and see everything
-get involved in something meaningful in the community without feeling stretched so thin, where I can actually make a real difference
-healthier cooking from scratch and better meal planning with fewer convenience foods

If we manage to reach FIRE before the kids are grown (the younger two would be 12 and 14 if we hit our stretch target in 7 years), I would like to be more involved in the supporting their school(s) and extracurricular activities

I definitely can't fathom being bored in retirement. I have so many things I want to do!

rachaelandthegoose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 12:07:41 PM »
This seemed like a good place for a first post on the MMM Forum! :) I've been thinking about this a ton lately because my post-FI vision has been getting a little more specific...

- Move north to a very cute town that we've now visited several times and are in love with
- Have 2+ dogs and take them everywhere
- Have a super-cool garden with lots of edibles and plants that we can use to decorate with and cut bouquets for the house
- Take lots of hikes, canoe and swim at the local state park
- Walk everywhere we possibly can for errands/entertainment
- Spend lots of time on the grounds of the local historical society, reading and writing
- Play piano much more and try to improve my skills
- Work a part-time job (preferably somewhere walkable in town)
- Join a local writer's group
- Volunteer at the local humane society
- Attend local concerts and cultural events
- Cook everything from scratch
- Sleep in lots
- Read several books per month
- Play in the snow
- Work on small building projects - pieces of homemade furniture, cold boxes, etc.
- Keep an "astronomical events" calendar and stay out to watch all meteor showers, eclipses, etc.
- Work on perfecting my Spanish

I'm at a place right now where I'm very excited for the next phase of my career, but strangely that just makes me all the more excited for FI, too! :)

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »
This seemed like a good place for a first post on the MMM Forum! :) I've been thinking about this a ton lately because my post-FI vision has been getting a little more specific...

- Move north to a very cute town that we've now visited several times and are in love with
- Have 2+ dogs and take them everywhere
- Have a super-cool garden with lots of edibles and plants that we can use to decorate with and cut bouquets for the house
- Take lots of hikes, canoe and swim at the local state park
- Walk everywhere we possibly can for errands/entertainment
- Spend lots of time on the grounds of the local historical society, reading and writing
- Play piano much more and try to improve my skills
- Work a part-time job (preferably somewhere walkable in town)
- Join a local writer's group
- Volunteer at the local humane society
- Attend local concerts and cultural events
- Cook everything from scratch
- Sleep in lots
- Read several books per month
- Play in the snow
- Work on small building projects - pieces of homemade furniture, cold boxes, etc.
- Keep an "astronomical events" calendar and stay out to watch all meteor showers, eclipses, etc.
- Work on perfecting my Spanish

I'm at a place right now where I'm very excited for the next phase of my career, but strangely that just makes me all the more excited for FI, too! :)

I love your list! If you replace the 2 dogs with two kids, it sounds perfect. :)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2017, 03:46:39 AM »

What about buying a proper telescope so that you can start watching planets, galaxies and the rest? Astronomy is a great hobby, especially when you don't have to get up early the next day.

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2017, 05:59:39 AM »
I sold off all my telescope gear last year, to pay off debt.  I was into serious equipment.
After I FIR, I'll get back into it with a modest scope.
Night-time hobbies are hard as you get older!    : )

Fish Sweet

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »
FIRE is a long ways off for me (10-12 years, give or take), but I spend a lot of time daydreaming about it and thinking

- Like many others, growing and maintaining a garden full of fruits, veggies, and beautiful flowers.
- Stretch my cooking chops even more now that I have the free time to sink into cooking whatever fabulous dishes I want for pretty much any and every meal.  Perhaps become the popular neighborhood lady that goes around with muffins and casseroles to people to share my food (if my friends don't eat it all up first...)
- Read the huge stack of unread books I have somehow managed to accumulate in my room with the promise that I would get around to them someday.  After I finish up with those, start going regularly to the library and take the time to read anything that catches my fancy.  Learn to appreciate nonfiction, now that I have the time to do so.
- The above, just with videogames (work through my collection, start some new ones)
- Polish up my Mandarin (speaking and writing), and see if I can learn me some Spanish and Japanese on the side.
- Crafting and Costuming-- keep on doing it on the side as a hobby, and also keep running a little shop that sells the occasional costume/crafting bits and bobs, as I really enjoy having a small business on the side (that i'm just starting to get into now)
- Travel abroad and live in Japan, Taiwan, and a few other countries for a few months at a time.  Vacationing is fine, but it always felt like we were hurry from place to place, trying to take in as much as we can at any given moment, like drinking from a firehose because you're gonna be starved for water for the next few weeks.  I want to make and take the time to soak in and enjoy new and foreign environs and scenery-- and probably spend a lot less doing it this way too.
- Learn to code, maybe make a small word-based videogame (or maybe I'll even do this pre-FIRE)
- Get back into yoga & other exercising options (biking, weight lifting, just taking some long long walks whenever I want)
- SLEEP A BUNCH-- I'm currently averaging about 5-6 hours a night, which is not great but there's too much stuff I want to do.
- Volunteer-- park cleanup, visiting and chat with old folks in hospice and convalescent homes, maybe volunteer with underprivileged kids, or at animal shelters-- it'll be nice to finally find the time for that too.
- And then some more out-there ideas-- aquaponics? owning property? cute dogs? who knows, there's a lot that the future can bring.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 04:47:06 PM »

I started typing this and the list kept growing.... I don't understand how anyone can be bored in retirement.

1. Sleep. Last time I went on vacation/went travelling, I was sleeping 9-11 hrs a night, well working, I get 5-7 on average over a week(w/ weekends bringing that number up), so safe to say I am running perpetually on a deficit and need to have some recovery time from work.
2. Travel.
3. Read lots.
4. Draw/sketching.
5. Writing- I have a scifi/fantasy book I have been working on and off on for a few years(currently over 300 pages), plus beginning portions of sequels. I want to work more on that.
6. Learn a new language.
7. learn an instrument(DW may put a cabash on this to avoid bleeding ears/ dogs howling.........)
8. Buy acreage somewhere (pacific nw?)- Travelling will help w/ deciding an area.
10. Learn to weld.
11. Build a motorcycle.

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread but today I made completely unexpected progress towards number 7. One of the things DW and me have been doing this year after FIRE-ing is visiting family (2 Grandfather's in their 90's and a third who well in his 70's is on year 24 of a triple organ transplant). Today we visited her Grandfather and I mentioned wanting to learn an instrument. He asked what instrument and I said guitar. Cue Grandpa giving me a guitar, case and a few learn to play guitar books. 😎. So I am currently reading Guitar for Dummies. I hadn't known before that he played guitar and had given a few away to people. Grandma has told me she expects to hear me play the next time they see me so I have my marching orders. 😁

LifePhaseTwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
Awesome! My DH just started learning to play drums. He worried about whether the noise would bother me, but it doesn’t - the look of happiness on his face when he’s playing makes me very happy. Play on!

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »
1. Go for more walks.
2. Get a dog at some point. No rush as they are expensive.
3. Do Jiu-Jitsu more regularly.
4. Surf. I'm hopeful we get a quality wavepool right near where I live. Otherwise it's an hour drive each way and that will cost too much and it's not practical. I'll do it but less often,
5. Eat better.
6. Cook more.
7. Stretch more often. You could call this Yoga.
8. Play guitar more often.
9. Read. I already do this a lot.
10. Work on the garden.
11. Do more housework.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2018, 01:49:56 PM »
I think about this a lot, and am also planning a sabbatical, so have been looking at my list more closely.

1. Lots of working out. Yoga, running, walking.
2. Join a gym & take group fitness classes.
3. Eat better/cook more. Learn to make more challenging recipes.
4. Volunteer, perhaps at the kids school, or with another non-profit.
5. Travel. My husband will be working, & the kids will be in school, but long weekends with my friends, sister, parents, etc.
6. Garden
7. Play tennis again
8. Lots of reading
9. Keep the house clean & uncluttered
10. Find a fun, part-time side job

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache

Altons Bobs

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 11:48:01 AM »

2. Travel.
3. Read lots.
4. Draw/sketching.
6. Learn a new language.
10. Learn to weld.
11. Build a motorcycle.

I know this is a bit of a zombie thread but today I made completely unexpected progress towards number 7. One of the things DW and me have been doing this year after FIRE-ing is visiting family (2 Grandfather's in their 90's and a third who well in his 70's is on year 24 of a triple organ transplant). Today we visited her Grandfather and I mentioned wanting to learn an instrument. He asked what instrument and I said guitar. Cue Grandpa giving me a guitar, case and a few learn to play guitar books. 😎. So I am currently reading Guitar for Dummies. I hadn't known before that he played guitar and had given a few away to people. Grandma has told me she expects to hear me play the next time they see me so I have my marching orders. 😁

OMG, I want to learn how to play guitar too! Dd has one that we bought for her when she was wanting to learn but she gave up very quickly but would not let me use it. So now I'm in search of one. I want to relearn piano too, that we already have.