Author Topic: A Push Over the Edge  (Read 4411 times)

pdxbator

• Stubble
A Push Over the Edge
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:42:08 PM »
Right now I'm working 2-10 hour days in health care. It's not a bad gig since I get healthcare benefits and $50 an hour. I'm 45 and could FIRE easily but I keep doing this job to sort of keep withdrawal rate zero for a bit longer and keep me active. I honestly don't need the money.

Some days I come to the clinic and just want to throw in the towel. I get tired of the people I work with and the politics of the office. I just want to come in, do my job well, and get out. Some day I think I might snap and just give my two week notice. Has anyone here in post FIRE done that? Did something finally push you over the edge into FIRE?

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
Re: A Push Over the Edge
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 12:46:03 PM »
I haven't personally first off..

You are in an excellent position, FI, but not RE. If I were you I would just sit down and make a plan.

What do you want to do with your life? Does continuing to work help you reach any goals?

It sounds like you are just floating along a bit aimlessly. You don't have to be there so things get under your skin easier. This is understandable!

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 01:32:44 PM »
Do you work two 10 hour days each week or do you work between 2 and 10 hours everyday?

You have OMY syndrome (so do I!) but I would I might suck up the two days a week as that to me would be pretty sweet.  Afterall, thats part time...and a pretty nice part time gig hours wise (20!!)

I would be more inclined to quit if I were working everyday Monday thru Friday for an average of 6 hours a day.  That's not as sweet as that's 30 hours committed, plus the extra commuting.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »
When the BS needle goes over the toleration point it is time to leave.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 02:53:26 PM »
I just work 2 days a week, 10 hours a day. I couldn't find better hours honestly. It's just the political BS sometimes I'm so over.

foghorn

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 05:39:44 AM »
I completely understand and often think of doing the same thing. 

I believe that I am FI, but I do not have the willpower to RE (yet).  I am a classic case of OMY Syndrome. 

Like you, the political and corporate bullshit gets to me many days and I have fantasies of handing over my badge and company property and simply walking out the door. 

I think those of us that can walk away have a weird thing happening in our heads.  Because we are FI, we are in a position to think about such things, which creates its own kind of stress and anxiety.  If we were not FI, we would simply show up everyday and do our jobs and not (seriously) think about leaving - because it would not really be an option.

One thing that helps me (at least a little) is the saying "NO" to stupid things.  I also try really hard to stay away from the politics in the office. 

But yeah - I am with you.  I always assume that someday I will simply have had too much and walk... 

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »
An old supervisor of my who retired at the traditional age told me about the "give-a-shit-o-meter".  Basically, as you discover you don't need the money, you recognize you don't need the bullshit either.  The trick is to use it to your advantage.  Which in some respects means becoming a little bit of an office asshole.  You learn to say NO and make it stick.  If someone pushes, you push back.  You take no disrespect.  You live the life of an employee who is 100% unafraid of being fired or a note in your HR file.  It is liberating.

Every FI but still working person I know has discovered the GASOM is a real thing and yes, your needle starts to bounce off the little peg next to the big red "E".  Own the GASOM and turn it to your advantage.  The worst they can do is do you favor of firing you. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 07:09:28 PM »
I'm with Velociraptor on this, you can afford an 'I don't care' mode.
You can change your attitude and have fun with the office politics,
because 'you don't care'. If you do become "a little bit of an office asshole",
and you can keep track of the politics and do happen to get fired,
you might use them as a tool to get a package
for the firing or 6 months of unemployment.
 Change the way you mentally process it and take joy out of it,
you're probably only there because of the people you are with,
whether coworker or patient, so enjoy them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 08:16:23 AM »
I agree with the two responses above. You need to own this situation, sister! Let the bullshit wash right by you while you do this good work, based only on your own motivations. You have the upper hand. If you can't see/feel your own might, I'd strongly suggest working on it until you do. Being a total badass is an amazing feeling and you are so close!

If the actual physical work isn't the problem, I'd keep that sweet deal for as long as I wanted it.

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
    • Sweet designs for your outside lifestyle
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 03:30:32 AM »
We're in a very similar situation, I'm about your age and also work two 10 hour days a week, mainly to keep health care benefits.  I love the idea of flipping the week on it's head - 2 days of work, 5 days off.  I've been doing this for over a year now and it's allowed me to expand my side hustles that I enjoy and focus on other things in life.

I haven't snapped yet at work, and I'm balancing the crap/politics at my job.  At least I'm not a manager anymore, can't do that 20 hours a week.  But I took a hit to my ego and my colleagues have essentially marginalized me and consider me "less important" than before since I'm only there sporadically.  I'm mostly okay with that, but after 24 years of work it does create complex feelings. Guess that's just human nature

fatcow240

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 08:20:50 AM »
One thing that helps me (at least a little) is the saying "NO" to stupid things.  I also try really hard to stay away from the politics in the office. 

I'm trending toward this policy.  I'm not FI yet, but I don't need this job.  Saying "NO" to stupid things and skipping pointless meetings is a good way to go.  I've found that there have been no consequences for skipping mandatory meetings.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 08:10:37 AM »
Can you take a leave of absence?  Take off 3-6 months and see how you feel.  I FIRE-d 6 months ago and was planning to start work a few days a week in September.  I'm enjoying not working so much I decided not to work part-time after all.