Poll

Compared to pre-FIRE, how much happier are you post-FIRE?

Much less happy
4 (2.9%)
Somewhat less happy
0 (0%)
About the same
11 (8.1%)
Somewhat happier
32 (23.5%)
Much happier!
89 (65.4%)

Total Members Voted: 136

Author Topic: Compared to pre-FIRE, how much happier are you post-FIRE?  (Read 48538 times)

Metta

• Pencil Stache
Re: Compared to pre-FIRE, how much happier are you post-FIRE?
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2017, 11:28:22 PM »
There is another thread going on about whether FIRE is subject to hedonic adaptation:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/if-hedonic-adaptation-exists-what's-the-point-of-early-retirement/

For those who indicated that they are happier after FIRE, do you feel like it is something you will eventually adapt to, or do you feel like it has resulted in a real, permanent change to your happiness level?

It has almost been a year for me now (January 1 will be one year since I freed myself from the veal fattening pen.) I didn't want to comment earlier because I thought it had been too soon, but now I can say that I am definitely happier than I was. And here's the thing, I thought I was happy at my job, but clearly I wasn't. I didn't know what happiness felt like. As this FIRE year has progressed I find myself happier every month. Perhaps there will come a point where it tapers off, but I doubt it.

I have always believed that our happiness is in our own hands and that if we are unhappy we must take steps to resolve that for ourselves. What I didn't realize was that without freedom, I was limited in what steps I could take to improve my happiness. Freedom is the cure for hedonic adaptation.

So, so happy. I am so glad I FIREd. It was worth much more than what I paid for it.

gerardc

• Bristles
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2017, 12:07:03 AM »
I have always believed that our happiness is in our own hands and that if we are unhappy we must take steps to resolve that for ourselves. What I didn't realize was that without freedom, I was limited in what steps I could take to improve my happiness. Freedom is the cure for hedonic adaptation.

So, so happy. I am so glad I FIREd. It was worth much more than what I paid for it.

Too much real life.

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »
I was just commenting to DH how fun it is for us to plan each leg of our travels. Part of the enjoyment of FIRE is that we sold our home and now travel full time. We live in permanent 'vacation' mode. When I call to make reservations at campgrounds, I always talk to happy park managers and rangers, they have no idea we do this full time, they assume we are planning our vacation.

We had a very high maintenance home and now just take care of our truck and trailer. Neither are totally care-free mind you but I still associate them with 'vacation'. and their needs are minor compared to a home.

I have always loved sleeping in whatever RV we have, and I have now slept in this setup full time for a year and a half. I am not tired of it yet. Waking up to birds and slow moving diesel trucks coming and going never gets old.

I get to stay up late and sleep in almost every day! Like most folks, I'd gone to school or worked an early morning job my whole life. As soon as I was old enough, I worked summers, so was up early all year round. That means 40 or so years of early to bed early to rise. And now... I can do what I want! Pure Heaven:)

We get to spend time planning our next day's/week's/month's activities well in advance, so we don't feel rushed all the time.

Just last night I woke up at 3:30am wide awake. So I got up for an hour and worked on a blog article for my website. Never, ever would that have happened when I worked! If I had got up in the middle of the night while working, it would be only for work, and I would be fixing a broken web server!

I teach card making classes now and was chatting with a couple of students and their husbands. One couple both worked at the same company, he in IT (CRM Manager) and she was his customer. He asked me if I had gotten hired back on as a contractor for 3x the pay. I said No WAY, I am done working! I teach card classes now and it is a heck of alot more fun! I already earned my money... He was likely shocked at that, but it is true. I am totally done doing stressful work and being on call 7 x 24.

I am much, much more happy post FIRE!

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: Today at 07:51:02 AM »
4 months in. I'm happier for sure, but I still have a few stressy loose ends to tie up before I will feel the sense freedom I desire. Also I still don't have near enough time to do all the things I want to do, and I guess I haven't decompressed enough yet to convince myself that there's no rush.

I'm curios to hear from more people who commented before when they had recently FIREd with any updates regarding:

For those who indicated that they are happier after FIRE, do you feel like it is something you will eventually adapt to, or do you feel like it has resulted in a real, permanent change to your happiness level?

My 2-year FIRE anniversary is in two days.  It really has been "a real, permanent change to my happiness level." 

I remember four days after my last day, so December 22, 2015, I was sitting on my couch next to my boyfriend and I felt like I had taken Ativan.  And I have remained that relaxed the vast majority of the time since.  I don't feel stoned though, just relaxed.

I had such bad anxiety related to work that impacted my entire life.  Not anymore.  Even when stressful things do happen (like the work and consideration it took before and during the process of selling my home), I wasn't anxious like I would have been before.

I sleep well.  I often catch myself smiling like I didn't do before.  I can do the things I want to do when I want to do them.

Every day I am happy that my time is my own and I don't have to deal with the bullshit of having a job. 

Apple_Tango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: Today at 08:40:24 AM »
I have some FU money and Iím in a career transition now. Iím not even close to fired, but right now am only sporadically consulting. I am finding that I need a project, structure, or a plan for the day to be happy. Otherwise I just sit down all day and waste my time. And maybe thatís because Iím in ďdecompressĒ mode still, but itís been 4 weeks and Iím realizing that I need to get out of the house and talk to more people!!! Iím applying for jobs, catching up on doctor and dentist appointments, and taking time to actually cook good meals, as well as going to the gym a few times a week. But Iím craving some more social stuff.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: Today at 10:32:08 AM »
I have some FU money and Iím in a career transition now. Iím not even close to fired, but right now am only sporadically consulting. I am finding that I need a project, structure, or a plan for the day to be happy. Otherwise I just sit down all day and waste my time. And maybe thatís because Iím in ďdecompressĒ mode still, but itís been 4 weeks and Iím realizing that I need to get out of the house and talk to more people!!! Iím applying for jobs, catching up on doctor and dentist appointments, and taking time to actually cook good meals, as well as going to the gym a few times a week. But Iím craving some more social stuff.

I understand what you are saying that you feel you would be bored not working and are happier working (which is totally okay...SWAMI status is an enviable status to have), but you live with your mom and have a negative net worth right now, so honestly, your experiences to date so far are nowhere close to FIRE.

I am an extrovert and have found enough social stimulation without having a job luckily.

Apple_Tango

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: Today at 11:49:34 AM »
Oh for sure!. But I think my point still stands. When I have something planned for the day (either related to making money, or something social, or a project)  my day is much better! Right now Iím able to work whenever I want. Iím working a lot at the moment but I can chose to work with only the clients that interest me. Even though my total account balance is not anywhere close to firing, I imagine the attitude of  ďworking only when I chooseĒ is similar since I plan to keep my professional license until I die. Itís making me excited to experience the real thing! (In at least a decade lol)