Poll

Compared to pre-FIRE, how much happier are you post-FIRE?

Much less happy
4 (3.1%)
Somewhat less happy
0 (0%)
About the same
11 (8.4%)
Somewhat happier
30 (22.9%)
Much happier!
86 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author Topic: Compared to pre-FIRE, how much happier are you post-FIRE?  (Read 47857 times)

Metta

• Pencil Stache
Re: Compared to pre-FIRE, how much happier are you post-FIRE?
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2017, 11:28:22 PM »
There is another thread going on about whether FIRE is subject to hedonic adaptation:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/if-hedonic-adaptation-exists-what's-the-point-of-early-retirement/

For those who indicated that they are happier after FIRE, do you feel like it is something you will eventually adapt to, or do you feel like it has resulted in a real, permanent change to your happiness level?

It has almost been a year for me now (January 1 will be one year since I freed myself from the veal fattening pen.) I didn't want to comment earlier because I thought it had been too soon, but now I can say that I am definitely happier than I was. And here's the thing, I thought I was happy at my job, but clearly I wasn't. I didn't know what happiness felt like. As this FIRE year has progressed I find myself happier every month. Perhaps there will come a point where it tapers off, but I doubt it.

I have always believed that our happiness is in our own hands and that if we are unhappy we must take steps to resolve that for ourselves. What I didn't realize was that without freedom, I was limited in what steps I could take to improve my happiness. Freedom is the cure for hedonic adaptation.

So, so happy. I am so glad I FIREd. It was worth much more than what I paid for it.

gerardc

• Bristles
Re: Compared to pre-FIRE, how much happier are you post-FIRE?
« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2017, 12:07:03 AM »
I have always believed that our happiness is in our own hands and that if we are unhappy we must take steps to resolve that for ourselves. What I didn't realize was that without freedom, I was limited in what steps I could take to improve my happiness. Freedom is the cure for hedonic adaptation.

So, so happy. I am so glad I FIREd. It was worth much more than what I paid for it.

Too much real life.