Author Topic: But what will you do with your time?  (Read 13924 times)

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
But what will you do with your time?
« on: August 15, 2018, 08:07:19 AM »
Isn't that what they ask us?

I'm taking all of July and August off this year, some vacation and some unpaid leave.  As you can imagine, I must be bored stiff without an employer filling up my hours with paid work, right?

Or not.  So far:
1. A family camping trip
2. A train ride to visit family
3. A long visit from some more family
4. Two doors fixed
5. Math taught to children
6. A re-imagining of the 1980s Atari Game "Swordquest"
http://www.greenfoot.org/scenarios/21994
(Sorry about the art, I was drinking when I wrote it)
7. DM'ing a D&D 4th edition adventure for family and friends

Still to do:
1. Many more bike rides
2. More weightlifting and running
3. A play structure to repaint
4. A partial roof repair

So, no, I'm not running out of things to do.

Toque.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 08:09:24 AM by FrugalToque »

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
Re: But what will you do with your time?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »
Last year I only worked 4.5ish months, and took the last 6 weeks of 2016 off.

We spent:

1. 8 weeks backpacking 5 countries in Asia
2. 3 weeks riding a motorcycle 3000 miles through Baja, camping on the beach every other night
3. 8 weeks camping during an 8000 mile road trip in our 4Runner and off-road camping trailer (camped every night but 3) spanning from SC, to the northern MI peninsula, to Black Hills, Banff, Jasper, Yellowstone, the continental divide south, hopping off to Ouray, CO, and the Grand Canyon.

One of our months camping was our “cheapest” month of the entire 2017.

I have no concerns of staying active and busy once I FIRE. I’ll probably bump down to 5-10 years of 3-4 months a year of contract work before full FIRE.

Oh yeah - even with all the travel and only working 4.5 months in 2017, my NW still increased about $20k.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »

We spent:

2. 3 weeks riding a motorcycle 3000 miles through Baja, camping on the beach every other night
3. 8 weeks camping during an 8000 mile road trip in our 4Runner and off-road camping trailer (camped every night but 3) spanning from SC, to the northern MI peninsula, to Black Hills, Banff, Jasper, Yellowstone, the continental divide south, hopping off to Ouray, CO, and the Grand Canyon.

I have no concerns of staying active and busy once I FIRE. I’ll probably bump down to 5-10 years of 3-4 months a year of contract work before full FIRE.

Oh yeah - even with all the travel and only working 4.5 months in 2017, my NW still increased about $20k.

Nice.

I noticed the money thing, too.  Despite the train ride, July and August are the two cheapest months in a long time.  Part of that is definitely the total lack of vehicle usage, but another part is just not spending money on dumb shit because there's so much creative stuff to do instead of buying things.

Toque.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2018, 11:10:00 AM »

We spent:

Nice.

I noticed the money thing, too.  Despite the train ride, July and August are the two cheapest months in a long time.  Part of that is definitely the total lack of vehicle usage, but another part is just not spending money on dumb shit because there's so much creative stuff to do instead of buying things.

Toque.

Yep! Exactly! That cheap month of traveling is better than any month I’ve ever had working lol.

When I work, we spend more as we don’t live somewhere that I find “free” enjoyment. We like our weekend date nights, going to see movies, out for drinks, etc. when camping, we instead went hiking, sightseeing, etc.

We also found ways to be frugal. Every night for dinner, my wife cooked enough food for lunch the next day, then also cooked breakfast at the camp site. We started off going to Dairy Queen a lot for blizzards (which was easily burnt off hiking) but eventually found that we could spend 1/3 as much just going to the grocery store and getting a tub of ice cream and enjoying it equally as much.

Our off-road trailer had a rooftop tent, so on long periods of travel we would simply pull over in a wal mart parking lot, pop the tent, and sleep for the night for free! Did that countless time with zero issues.

On a funny note to that, one of my greatest memories the whole trip was sitting on the bumper of our car in a wal mart parking lot, tent popped up, night time, eating a tub of ice cream with my wife. It just struck me how fortunate I am to be where I’m at in life with all of those experiences.

We also did the entire trip with a 4 month old German Shepherd, which added a whole new twist to the experience as we couldn’t leave him at the campground so he had to come everywhere that we did.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2018, 01:06:46 PM »
Yep! Exactly! That cheap month of traveling is better than any month I’ve ever had working lol.

When I work, we spend more as we don’t live somewhere that I find “free” enjoyment. We like our weekend date nights, going to see movies, out for drinks, etc. when camping, we instead went hiking, sightseeing, etc.

We also found ways to be frugal. Every night for dinner, my wife cooked enough food for lunch the next day, then also cooked breakfast at the camp site. We started off going to Dairy Queen a lot for blizzards (which was easily burnt off hiking) but eventually found that we could spend 1/3 as much just going to the grocery store and getting a tub of ice cream and enjoying it equally as much.

We have always cooked enough for lunch the next day.  And when my in-laws were here, it was food for days.  As for ice cream, I developed a test for really, really good ice cream, so we bought an ice breaker maker for $85 about 15 years back.  It's still going strong and makes ice cream so delicious you'd think the Sweet Sky Goddess sent the milk down from heaven herself.  It makes you really pretentious about all other ice cream, though.

Our off-road trailer had a rooftop tent, so on long periods of travel we would simply pull over in a wal mart parking lot, pop the tent, and sleep for the night for free! Did that countless time with zero issues.

On a funny note to that, one of my greatest memories the whole trip was sitting on the bumper of our car in a wal mart parking lot, tent popped up, night time, eating a tub of ice cream with my wife. It just struck me how fortunate I am to be where I’m at in life with all of those experiences.

We also did the entire trip with a 4 month old German Shepherd, which added a whole new twist to the experience as we couldn’t leave him at the campground so he had to come everywhere that we did.

We haven't tried travel camping yet.  Generally, we stay within a four hour ride at home, since that's all the kids can take, but maybe next year we'll actually try to get somewhere.  It's a little difficult because I'm the only driver and I don't care for 10 hour driving days.  That's why we take the train, really, just for the 6-hour jaunts to see my family.

Toque.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2018, 02:07:43 PM »
The biggest thing I think most working people don't understand is that everything slows down. We're no longer harried with schedules so the simple fact that the pace of our lives is slower is a time "stealer." The stuff we used to cram into a work day we'd never get done anymore because we do things more liesurely. I bet a good 2 hours of our day is taken up by the time that is spent living life at a slower pace, and it's a wonderful feeling because there's never any negativity involved, unlike being rushed which is often accompanied by negativity.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 02:09:15 PM by Mr. Green »

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2018, 03:17:40 PM »
The biggest thing I think most working people don't understand is that everything slows down. We're no longer harried with schedules so the simple fact that the pace of our lives is slower is a time "stealer." The stuff we used to cram into a work day we'd never get done anymore because we do things more liesurely. I bet a good 2 hours of our day is taken up by the time that is spent living life at a slower pace, and it's a wonderful feeling because there's never any negativity involved, unlike being rushed which is often accompanied by negativity.

You nailed it bro.  I've actually come to value my rare episodes of boredom.  If you embrace and just be still for awhile, it turns into creativity.  The working class just doesn't have the time to be bored for two hours while they wait on inspiration.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »

I'm not retired yet but this is me on holidays.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
I'm busier now that I've retired from my day job than I was going to my day job!

(To be fair, we're renovating a series of rental properties full time now, so it's keeping us busy!)

But each property should bring in almost $5,000 a year in profit, so they are worth a couple month's work apiece!

By the end of the year our normal non-portfolio income will keep us from having to dip into our stocks and bonds to live on.    Seems worth it to me!

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 04:59:52 PM »
Hey @FrugalToque - when is your full FIRE date?  May I ask, can you share?

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »
I feel like this is the question anytime someone talks about not working. What to do is the least of my worries.

My husband and I plan to road trip and camp around the USA for...a while. See how we like it. Travel in Asia, spend a month in Germany, another in Spain. I want to learn Italian and maybe Spanish. Read books. Sleep until I wake up naturally. Keep my house clean. Make duck confit, homemade pasta and other time consuming culinary delights.

Why doesn't anyone ask if I'm worried I'll run out of money? That's at least a good question.

Also,  Toque, I'm jealous of your July and August. It sounds amazing.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 05:44:13 PM »

I'm thinking next summer, honestly.  There's no particular rush, as long as the kids are still in school, but I basically just have to be willing to take the plunge.

Toque.

BigMoneyJim

• Bristles
    • Jim's Personal Finance Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »
A lot of people seem to worry about that. When I was younger, my memories of summers off from school was my vision of retirement, and that mostly holds true.

I've actually had two stints of a year off of working, and a third of 6 months. The third ended 6 months ago and boy am I ready for some more.

I'm very un-scheduled, but I just don't really do bored. Whenever I'm not working I marvel at how people have time for work, much less kids.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »

Yes! In a typical work day, everyone is rushing; alarm clock early morning, drive fast to work, drink coffee to do stuff faster with more energy, rush to meetings, sprint to meet deadlines, then rush back home, walk fast to go to yoga class so that you can "relax" there, get home quickly so you can have "quality time" with kids and you have time to cram a 10-min express meditation, before being a zombie for 4 hours in front of the TV/computer because you're so burned out. Rather, if you took your time, you'd end the day at midnight, exhausted, ready to go to bed and you'd skip the TV and feel better.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 12:21:36 AM »

Yes! In a typical work day, everyone is rushing; alarm clock early morning, drive fast to work, drink coffee to do stuff faster with more energy, rush to meetings, sprint to meet deadlines, then rush back home, walk fast to go to yoga class so that you can "relax" there, get home quickly so you can have "quality time" with kids and you have time to cram a 10-min express meditation, before being a zombie for 4 hours in front of the TV/computer because you're so burned out. Rather, if you took your time, you'd end the day at midnight, exhausted, ready to go to bed and you'd skip the TV and feel better.

Indeed. My FIL who has been a pensioner for decades commented that I always walk so fast, even on my days off. That is based on being in a constant mode of stress and a lot to do at work.

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 07:14:10 AM »
4th?  Pfft!

(Sorry to edition war on you.)

MasterStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2018, 06:10:00 AM »
Yeah I don't get the whole boredom aspect in retirement. It boggles my mind. The world is your oyster, there is so much to explore and do. I took the summer off of side work. We've been to Florida (my daughter had her Gymnastics national competition) where we ran across stingrays and dolphins in the ocean. We explored the everglades as we have never seen alligators outside of a zoo. We just went hiking with friends down in the Red River Gorge last weekend. And the wife and I are  headed back out to hike and explore more parts of the Daniel Boone forest next weekend. I've taken up ultra long walks (5-6 miles), which is like meditation for me.  Once the kids are back in school in a couple weeks I'll be slipping in some side carpentry work and hoping to hike some longer trails around my neck of the woods.

For anyone that is able to long slow travel the US, I envy you. That's our ultimate goal. Would love to head out west for a couple/few weeks.

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2018, 09:24:35 AM »

+1 Mr. Green.

I took a couple of FU days off this past week to help work on a relatives house and then some projects around our house. However, it was at my own pace and time schedule. I could get done as much (or as little) as I chose to. No rush, those projects won't matter if they get done this week or next. Negativity and stress were kept to a minimum and oddly enough, I felt that I accomplished far more than I thought I would.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2018, 10:11:40 PM »

+1 Mr. Green.

I took a couple of FU days off this past week to help work on a relatives house and then some projects around our house. However, it was at my own pace and time schedule. I could get done as much (or as little) as I chose to. No rush, those projects won't matter if they get done this week or next. Negativity and stress were kept to a minimum and oddly enough, I felt that I accomplished far more than I thought I would.

Helps you see the glass half-full instead of half-empty? It's true when I rush I always feel like something is missing (the next goal). When I take my time, I'm always surprised at what I have already

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2018, 08:07:34 AM »
My youngest daughter asked me this question. I told her I'd be landing on her doorstep at least once a week pestering her to go out sightseeing and lunching with me. I was surprised when she called my bluff and declared herself delighted rather than horrified by this prospect. But then, there are few things she likes more than driving her car, talking, and eating :-)

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »
occasional SO

isn't that an oxymoron? It's either occasional or significant :P

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2018, 10:25:28 PM »
occasional SO

Well he's occasionally significant so....;-).

At least you always have the barkinator to keep you company.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2018, 03:58:09 PM »
occasional SO

Well he's occasionally significant so....;-).

At least you always have the barkinator to keep you company.
haha. Well I think The Barkinator is currently my SO (in a platonic non romantic kind of way). At least she's FIREd and can go off an do all the fun early retiree stuff with me unlike the occasional SO who still works. Which is why he's an OSO ;-). Currently dealing with what direction, if any, that relationship should go.

Its funny because this morning (a Sunday) when I was walking the dog someone made a comment about how nice the weekends are so that we can do long walks or runs with our dogs. I said something about how nice it would be to be early retired (they don't know I am) and you could do that everyday. Their face scrunched up and they said " yeah but what would you do after that? You'd be so bored!". Um...no.

Ha!  Those comments from people are too funny.  Well before I thought much about retiring personally, I never thought that retirement meant boredom for others.  I've always known people who were retired, and even those that lived pretty simple lives, still never seemed to be bored in their retirement.  I would like to have more of a sample of that type of feedback regarding my own early retirement expected in 9 months, which isn't all that early in life compared to many on this forum, yet still earlier than pretty much any primary breadwinners that I know IRL and 15 years before I'll get SS benefits.  I'm mostly keeping it a secret from about everyone until it's a sure thing and I put in my notice at work in 8 months plus work out any remaining potential PT work.  The reasons for keeping my FIRE plan mostly to myself are:

1) Circumstances out of my control could delay my retirement.  While the odds look good, I don't want to put out the word that I'll FIRE in early June only to have to cancel for some reason by the time it gets here and look like a idiot.
2) I don't want my employer to catch early word and have me start documenting every little thing and cross-training someone and otherwise making my last year a PITA, whereas now I have my own quiet office and plenty of flexibility.
3) I might end up staying on part time, at least till year-end or until the following spring, so then not fully retired at my target date.  I will probably offer to work PT 1-3 days per week, which is one reason I won't feel bad about not giving them more than a month notice.  If they value my skills as they should, they will accept my part time offer.
4) I could simply change my mind and decide to work OMY full time, looking like an idiot if I had said I was retiring.
5) I don't want to jinx my FIRE plans in general.

I've leaked some general retirement comments (usually no specific timelines) to some family members and friends and have received comments like, "don't rush it", and "you're too young to retire" (including from two ladies who are about 10 years younger than me, one who is a SAHM), and "what will you do?" (ironically, from my retired BIL, who seems to stay busy).  When I've made the same general comments to a couple guys I know well (age 53 to 65), they didn't really comment about me and just turned it around on themselves to say that they like working or have to work longer.  Most recently, when I texted about it to a friend in his 50's who lives 80 miles away, he responded, "are you getting lazy?"  I actually have one coworker who I've been pretty open about the specifics, and he seems to relate and is wanting to do the same thing, except he's 10 years older than me.  It will be a lot more interesting (entertaining?) to get the reactions from more fiends, family, coworkers, and others when I can announce that I've already given notice along with a specific date or that I've already retired!

One

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2018, 11:58:03 PM »
Could reply, "Same things you do on weekends, only everyday."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 12:15:46 AM by One »

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2018, 12:21:47 AM »
Could reply, "Same things you do on weekends, only everyday."

My weekends are often way too short. Same for summer vacations and Easter skiing vacations.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2018, 12:29:50 AM »
<...> I'm mostly keeping it a secret from about everyone until it's a sure thing and I put in my notice at work in 8 months plus work out any remaining potential PT work.  The reasons for keeping my FIRE plan mostly to myself are:

1) Circumstances out of my control could delay my retirement.  While the odds look good, I don't want to put out the word that I'll FIRE in early June only to have to cancel for some reason by the time it gets here and look like a idiot.
2) I don't want my employer to catch early word and have me start documenting every little thing and cross-training someone and otherwise making my last year a PITA, whereas now I have my own quiet office and plenty of flexibility.
3) I might end up staying on part time, at least till year-end or until the following spring, so then not fully retired at my target date.  I will probably offer to work PT 1-3 days per week, which is one reason I won't feel bad about not giving them more than a month notice.  If they value my skills as they should, they will accept my part time offer.
4) I could simply change my mind and decide to work OMY full time, looking like an idiot if I had said I was retiring.
5) I don't want to jinx my FIRE plans in general.

I've leaked some general retirement comments (usually no specific timelines) to some family members and friends and have received comments like, "don't rush it", and "you're too young to retire" (including from two ladies who are about 10 years younger than me, one who is a SAHM), and "what will you do?" (ironically, from my retired BIL, who seems to stay busy).  When I've made the same general comments to a couple guys I know well (age 53 to 65), they didn't really comment about me and just turned it around on themselves to say that they like working or have to work longer.  Most recently, when I texted about it to a friend in his 50's who lives 80 miles away, he responded, "are you getting lazy?"  I actually have one coworker who I've been pretty open about the specifics, and he seems to relate and is wanting to do the same thing, except he's 10 years older than me.  It will be a lot more interesting (entertaining?) to get the reactions from more fiends, family, coworkers, and others when I can announce that I've already given notice along with a specific date or that I've already retired!

People seem very judgemental about your FIRE plans.

My DH also wants to keep the FIRE thing secret. He wants to tell his boss we will just take a sabbatical for a year, with the intention of maybe coming back. One of the reasons is that the future can change and politics can change suddenly (tax levels, being able to buy a house as a foreigner, being allowed to live in a country without working).

I have already told 4 colleagues about the concept of FIRE and that I am working on it. I didn't mention a date, but I said "within 5 years". When I quit my job without starting somewhere else, I think they will understand I've reached my goal.

I still think I could do some occasional consultancy work for my current employer, maybe at another location. But the question is, do I need to? I'd rather not do it at all, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 07:15:26 AM by Linda_Norway »

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2018, 03:09:28 AM »
The funny thing is since really settling in to FIRE I rarely ever want to stop moving, in the purely physical sense. There's always something wonderful to enjoy. A walk through the neighborhood, a bike ride down to the Intracoastal Waterway, lifting weights to get stronger, sweating buckets in the summer heat, enjoying breezes, sitting on the beach just before dusk when the light makes everything orange and the shadow contrasts really pop. I feel like I'm trying to suck the marrow out of all these days, like I'm making up for the ones I lost sitting in a climate controlled box, in artificial light.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2018, 06:29:25 AM »
What will I do? You mean besides sit in the recliner all day watching Dr. Phil and eating bon-bons? Isn't that what retirement is? Well maybe some rants at the young uns to get off my damn lawn occasionally.

Ok otherwise I do a lot of physical recreation stuff and sports. Travel to places I can do more of that kind of thing in different or unique settings. Get involved in some charity work. Hang out with my dog (that's a biggie), friends, family, an occasional SO. Life is pretty good and a few bon-bons in the recliner can be a good thing at the end of the day (after a long hike to the top of some mountain ;-)).

Thought of you, @spartana, last week when I was in SoCal. Visited my old regular beach volleyball haunt (Belmont Shores in Long Beach), as well as OB in SD, Huntington, Seal Beach, Oceanside. Goddamn, I miss that area so friggin' much. Can't for the life of me figure out why I ever left.

Dances With Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 07:13:28 AM »
The funny thing is since really settling in to FIRE I rarely ever want to stop moving, in the purely physical sense. There's always something wonderful to enjoy. A walk through the neighborhood, a bike ride down to the Intracoastal Waterway, lifting weights to get stronger, sweating buckets in the summer heat, enjoying breezes, sitting on the beach just before dusk when the light makes everything orange and the shadow contrasts really pop. I feel like I'm trying to suck the marrow out of all these days, like I'm making up for the ones I lost sitting in a climate controlled box, in artificial light.

Sounds wonderful, enjoy... Walk in Thoreau's footsteps and you will find beauty and things to do all around you. Cheers!

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
    • Sweet designs for your outside lifestyle
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 05:36:33 PM »
Ha I spent 2 weeks in July finishing the Colorado 14ers, then just did another week in California to climb Mt. Whitney.  I have so many things to do with my time I could fill a century!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 07:23:38 AM »
Nice!  Whitney's on my tick list, but it's gotten SO popular, and the permitting process . . . 

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 08:06:02 AM »
Nice!  Whitney's on my tick list, but it's gotten SO popular, and the permitting process . . .

Yeah, it's become a bit of a circus but the Mountaineers Route is better. We took that to Iceberg Lake then did a rock route to the summit!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 11:04:39 AM »

Yeah, it's become a bit of a circus but the Mountaineers Route is better. We took that to Iceberg Lake then did a rock route to the summit!

Nice. I've done several routes in the Palisades and nearby (Swiss Arete, Sun Ribbon Arete, Venusian Blind Arete, S. Face Charlotte Dome). Love the Sierra and have been dying to go back for a while now. Plan to spend a good amount of time there next summer on my post-retirement road trip.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 06:19:34 AM »
What do I do all day?  Watch Jerry, Jerry, Jerry.  Then go to Walmart and ride in those carts for the fatties to get my bon-bons.

Kakanui

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2018, 05:45:58 AM »
Volunteering on a small remote, densely populated atoll in the middle of the Pacific (Tarawa) for a year. Is refreshing to be in a place with lots of other people with a similar ethos even if not FIRED they are still taking time out from the regular 9-5 grind to use their skills out here.

Get accommodation paid, airfares, all medical insurance etc, and a small living allowance. As this is considered one of the most remote spots the organisation I'm volunteering for operate in in the Pacific (little in the way of fruit and vegies available for example) we also get airfares to return home or travel to other less remote locations every four months (off to Fiji for a week soon).

Kakanui

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2018, 03:52:26 PM »
One of the guys I play sports with is a bit older and just retired. Every time I see him I ask him, so hows it going? He’s got a response that I love: “Every day is like Christmas!”

thriftyc

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2018, 09:30:37 AM »

I'm thinking next summer, honestly.  There's no particular rush, as long as the kids are still in school, but I basically just have to be willing to take the plunge.

Toque.

I am in the same boat as you.  Close to calling it quits - and now taking it a day at a time.  Could hand in my notice at any point but was thinking of waiting it out till Jan1.  Originally planned to resign this month, but a little bit extra coin is not a bad thing.

In terms of what to do with time: 
Gym, biking, kayaking, saving money through having more time to shop for deals, credit card offers etc. Hobbies, volunteering, being available to my kids, starting some online fun micro businesses, home renovation projects, spending time nurturing relationships in the local community and volunteering.  The list is endless!

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2018, 04:31:02 PM »
Wow!

I love reading these posts.  You're all so filled with the zest of life.  None of you will get bored.  I think even Jim555 will do well.

I had pondered this question.  This Summer I had a month off not by choice.  I'm close to FIRE so I wasn't too disturbed.  I pulled out my electric guitar that I used to play many years ago.  You know, I never lost the desire for it.  If things continue to go per plan, I'll be making some noise when the real time comes.

Oatmeal Stout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Music
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 07:10:34 AM »
I was more bored at work.
I can sit around and have a cup or tea looking out the window and not be bored.
I quit my job 2.5 years ago. Other than some cabin fever in the winter, no boredom - and I really don't do too much (I think) .

My wife, she became bored before a year was up, so she went back to work. However she says she has completely different attitude now that she is financially independent. She actually enjoys her work now.

One difference between us is that I have way more interests and hobbies than she has. I suppose that might make a difference for people retiring early.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 07:34:17 AM »
One difference between us is that I have way more interests and hobbies than she has. I suppose that might make a difference for people retiring early.

Yes, I definitely invested time in encouraging Mrs. Toque's hobbies: painting, piano playing, etc.   I want us both to enjoy our collective retirement, probably starting next summer when the kids finish their current year of school.

Toque.

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 09:31:40 AM »
I also was more bored at work. My job required me to sit in a small grey cubicle for 8 hours a day typing at a computer.

Now that I am retired, every day is in FULL COLOR! I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, when she left her black and white shack in Kansas for the glorious Technicolor land of Oz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6D8PAGelN8

What I do:

Exercise. Very strenuously.
Yoga (subset of exercise, but not as strenuous).
Home maintenance.
Eat long luxurious meals at home, instead of gulping down stale scones at my desk.
Eat long luxurious meals out, with groups from Meetup.
Take Coursera courses.
Take art courses.
Do puzzles in puzzles books (analog not digital).

And I haven't even started traveling yet!

NorthernDreamer

• Stubble
  • Canada
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 10:53:05 AM »
I also was more bored at work. My job required me to sit in a small grey cubicle for 8 hours a day typing at a computer.

Now that I am retired, every day is in FULL COLOR! I feel like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, when she left her black and white shack in Kansas for the glorious Technicolor land of Oz:

What I do:

Home maintenance.
Eat long luxurious meals at home, instead of gulping down stale scones at my desk.
Take Coursera courses.
Take art courses.

Gyosho, that all sounds incredible! Congrats on living in technicolor!

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 09:30:34 PM »
I enjoyed my career but feel the same way - my days are much, much more satisfying now.  I feel that I'm back to the "real me", aged about 10 or 12, full of curiosity and energy.

My days/weeks include:

* daily walks; Aquafit and /or length swimming 3-4 times a week (at off peak pool times!)
* weekly meet ups with a small group and the language tutor we hired
* twice weekly volunteer reading sessions with primary school kids, once in English, once in my second language
* at least once a week outing with DH somewhere fun in our city
* at least one meet up with a friend
* one literature/history/art appreciation class at local university per week
* home improvement at a leisurely pace
* good home cooking (always did that but can be more leisurely now)
* read 3-4 books a week (always did that but can tackle longer books now)
* work through NYT crossword book with DH :)  Analog all the way.
* etc., etc

And we haven't started to travel yet either.  I do not understand how people can be bored but I'll admit that I worried a bit about it before I retired.  Would I just watch mindless tv/web surf?  Um, yes, unless I figured out and scheduled all the other fun stuff to do. I need a fair bit of extrinsic motivation and so I created it.

I'm with Mrs.MM on this - http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/05/24/mrs-money-mustache-routine-will-oil-the-machine/

What I do:

Home maintenance.
Take Coursera courses.
Take art courses.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2018, 04:56:18 AM »
My biggest challenge Post FIRE is ensuring I don't try to do too many things on the weekends when the poor working schmucks are trying to get errands done.

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2018, 07:19:12 AM »
My biggest challenge Post FIRE is ensuring I don't try to do too many things on the weekends when the poor working schmucks are trying to get errands done.

This, so much!

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2018, 11:52:18 AM »

Even working part-time I find this to be true. I no longer have to block off weekend time for laundry or other things that I can do on my two weekdays off, and that leaves plenty of time to do fun things on the weekends.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2018, 01:23:06 PM »
Same for me. Now working 80% and I hardly have time for the things I like to do. I am working several hours a day on my evenings and more on whole days free.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2018, 11:10:16 AM »

One of the aspects of FIREing I much enjoy is the luxury of procrastination.

Turnbull

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2018, 07:26:58 PM »
Volunteering on a small remote, densely populated atoll in the middle of the Pacific (Tarawa) for a year. Is refreshing to be in a place with lots of other people with a similar ethos even if not FIRED they are still taking time out from the regular 9-5 grind to use their skills out here.

Get accommodation paid, airfares, all medical insurance etc, and a small living allowance. As this is considered one of the most remote spots the organisation I'm volunteering for operate in in the Pacific (little in the way of fruit and vegies available for example) we also get airfares to return home or travel to other less remote locations every four months (off to Fiji for a week soon).

Kakanui

Kakanui, I assume you've read The Sex Lives of Cannibals. I just finished it the other day and it's about a couple who live on Tarawa for a couple of years. Very interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Sex-Lives-Cannibals-Equatorial-Pacific/dp/0767915305

Kakanui

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2018, 05:20:40 PM »
I started it, read about a couple of chapters and found his writing style extremely annoying and not really that funny. I also despise the title as it is degrading to the i-Kiribati people, typical neo-colonialist bullshit as far as I'm concerned, so no didn't make it though.

Kakanui