Author Topic: Biggest surprise/best advice Post-FIRE  (Read 4025 times)

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
Biggest surprise/best advice Post-FIRE
« on: January 28, 2018, 10:29:06 AM »
(Sorry if there is a thread like this already.  I didn't see one.)

It looks like I will be post-FIRE in June, and I have been trying to read up and make sure I know as much as possible before then.

My question(s) for those of you who are Post-FIRE:  what has been the biggest surprise since you did it?  What were you not really prepared for?  What is your best advice for those of us who are within months of being post-FIRE?

TIA!

Cassie

• Magnum Stache
Re: Biggest surprise/best advice Post-FIRE
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 11:08:13 AM »
Even though our work related costs went down our fun and travel costs went way up because we now had the time and energy to do things.  Obviously we look for deals on things that we like to do.

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:59:00 PM »
Eight months in, I can't think of any surprise to report.  I made a plan, triple checked the numbers, pulled the plug, then everything pretty much fell in line with what I was expecting.  Here is a checklist that should help you during your last few months: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/post-fire/pre-fire-checklist/ .  Seriously, it can really be that easy.

kei te pai

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 01:28:04 AM »
My biggest surprise was my own lack of regret or even interest at the end of my career. I thought my identity was quite attached to my profession, but actually it wasnt/isnt. Its over, a new life has begun, and I am very happy.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 11:56:14 AM »
My biggest surprise was my own lack of regret or even interest at the end of my career. I thought my identity was quite attached to my profession, but actually it wasnt/isnt. Its over, a new life has begun, and I am very happy.

I am already finding it very difficult to go in to work.

Mr. Green

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 02:59:17 PM »
Despite my strong dislike of work (would take off as much as I could most years) I was not prepared for all the change that came as a result of divorcing myself from that part of my identity. It'll be two years in June since I first walked away and I'm still not 100% in the post-FIRE world. After years of being laser focused on building up savings with the driving force behind my life being to reach this magical point, it's become very difficult for me to shift from the accumulation of wealth mindset to the draw down mindset. I hope the transition will come easy for you but be prepared to have A LOT of patience with yourself.

Woodshark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 05:12:53 PM »
Two big surprises for us.

1. We are not spending NEAR what I thought we would on everyday living and/or travel.  We still do one big and several small trips a year but since we have retired, we're just happy to "be-here-now" wherever that may be, if that makes sense. A combo of loving life outside of work and the realization that more $$ spent does not equal more enjoyment naturally keeps our expenses down.

2. We both had professionally rewarding careers. One in education. One in more of a creative field. After almost 30 years of working you would think you would miss it.
 We. Do. Not. Miss. It. At. All. 

Moustachienne

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 07:01:38 PM »
I enjoyed my career and co-workers and thought I'd stay connected to some extent through professional listservs and associations.  I still get email announcements about conferences and hot topics but was surprised to find that I was very quickly Not. Interested.  Not even a bit!  I wish everyone well but my mind and time are filled with other things now and I don't have the bandwidth to care about anything from my former profession. I unsubscribed from almost every list and think I will let my professional association membership lapse at renewal time.  How much and how quickly I moved on really surprised me.

I was also surprised to find how much I've enjoyed reconnecting with already retired colleagues and how little I'm interested in meeting up with still working colleagues.  I like members of both groups equally as individuals but enjoy hearing what the retirees are up to much more than the latest workplace issue or drama.  The retirees have  a much broader spectrum of interests!