Author Topic: Are You Healthier Now?  (Read 5333 times)

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
Are You Healthier Now?
« on: January 24, 2018, 07:27:14 PM »
This may seem odd to some, but I think being retired will be more healthy.  Please tell me if I am right or wrong.  I realize there will be variations from person to person.

I work long hours out of town.  I find it hard to simply take long walks in the daylight hours.  I like to bike.  My bicycle has sat in the shed with flat tires for the past two Summers.  The lack of time prompts one to get quick food from fast food places, gas stations and grocery delis. 

Limited time produces stress.  There simply isn't the time to get stuff done.  This can be simple things like cleaning.  It can also mean things like enjoying good books.

I see FIRE as being a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.  This is not to mean money, but to mean the time to have a better quality of life.  Is my viewpoint overly optimistic or will I have the time to "smell the roses?"

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Are You Healthier Now?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 12:50:38 AM »
I'm not FIRE'd yet but I'm finishing up 6 weeks of holidays right now. I eat better and I am more consistent with my exercise. I feel great. I intend to work for say 2-3 years full time and then go part time for a couple of years primarily because part time work will enable me to spend more time living like I am right now.

NAVRESLDO

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 06:00:38 AM »
Yes.  For me exercise has become a daily routine .  I leave for the gym about 8 (after traffic) exercise for an hour, enjoy yoga class for an hour and then an afternoon walk with the dog (which might include a craft beer). 

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 06:56:49 AM »
Yes.  Lost 25 lbs. and get much more exercise.  Less colds/flu also since I am not exposed to people at work/commuting

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 07:07:34 AM »
Lost 60lbs when I first fire'd about 3 years ago and have had no problem keeping off as exercise had become part of my daily routine. I just had labs and my numbers have been the last two years all in the good range but steadily still are improving. So yes! so far.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 05:54:02 AM »
I also expect to become healthier in FIRE. During my vacations and weekends I am usually active every day. Although during some weekends I can be lazy, usually related to hopeless weather and lack of good skiing circumstances.

Currently DH and I are struggling a bit to go do something active on weekday evenings, like swimming. The pool is a bit far driving and you need to eat in a hurry. It's just too much hassle. So we wait until the weekends to do some activity, usually something outside to see daylight. I could spend long periods in places with good cross country skiing. I also much prefer to do that in daylight, rather than in the evening with a headlight. Job comes in the way big time.

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 07:58:57 AM »
Eights months into FIRE, I have no doubt that I am way healthier.  Each week, I do three or four fulls days of outdoor activity, I cook healthier meals, and I sleep really well.  I probably drink more beer than I used to, but my athletic performance increased nonetheless. 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:22:28 AM »
This is an inspiration.  I am still working, thinking of FIRE (have the funds) and in the worst shape of my life.  :(

That being said, I decided last week I need to lose some weight and exercise more and happy to say I've been eating healthy for 1 week and taken off a few pounds already.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:56:19 AM »
6 months in surprisingly and I'm feeling quite a bit less well. Sleep is great, getting exercise, but spending way more time with my brother's kids and may be catching germs from them. Also winter season and northern climate may be a factor. I just always seem to be stuffy and headache at one level or another.

risky4me

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 12:37:10 PM »
Much healthier now. During my last year of work I was unable to get loosened up with mid day stretches. Even sitting on a ball at my desk was bothering me more and more. Since retired I have much greater range of movement and never get seized up. Living and scheduling on my own terms is very pleasurable- I have very little of that nasty "stress".

Gimesalot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 04:21:43 PM »
I have only been fire for a few weeks but I can already tell a difference.  I am sleeping a lot more and better.  I wake up rested instead of dreaming of more sleep.  I wish I were exercising more, but I am so busy with home improvement projects, that there isn't enough time.  However, I have still managed to lose weight and slim down just from moving more and not snacking out of boredom.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
These are good answers and in general seem to confirm my suspicion that FIRE would be good for physical health.  I suspect it is also good for mental health.

Note:  I queried my doctor with this very same question twice.  the second time he told me that only about a third improve their health when they retire.  However, upon reflection I guess he would say that when the retired people he sees are the sick ones.

Note to Linda_Norway - I looked it up for Oslo.  You only have about 6 hours of daylight for much of December.  You have it difficult to exercise in the daylight.  for some of the Winter, I think you will be stuck using the headlamp.

Thanks for your responses.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 07:31:06 AM »
6 months in surprisingly and I'm feeling quite a bit less well. Sleep is great, getting exercise, but spending way more time with my brother's kids and may be catching germs from them. Also winter season and northern climate may be a factor. I just always seem to be stuffy and headache at one level or another.

Are you getting enough vitamin D? We who live up north often need to take a supplement. In Norway they add it to the milk.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 02:30:35 AM by Linda_Norway »

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 08:28:35 AM »
Note:  I queried my doctor with this very same question twice.  the second time he told me that only about a third improve their health when they retire.  However, upon reflection I guess he would say that when the retired people he sees are the sick ones.

This is true. I also imagine traditional retirees have a different experience than early retirees because 1) many retire because their health is deteriorating or 2) they are less intentional than FIRE folks about their retired lives (so they watch TV, snack, don't keep up relationship or exercise). People who FIRE spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about their post-retirement lives and are optimizers by nature. People who retire at a a traditional age but haven't spent a lot of time thinking about what they would do post-FIRE (or are just worn down by 4-5 decades of working) are probably less intentional about it.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 05:21:39 PM »
People who retire at a a traditional age but haven't spent a lot of time thinking about what they would do post-FIRE (or are just worn down by 4-5 decades of working) are probably less intentional about it.

Maybe - Maybe not.  I'm at the traditional age and I'm fired up about it.  In fact, maybe some of us are even more fired up than those that are younger because of less time.  Retiring at a later age gives one less time for dreams to be accomplished.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 01:40:45 AM »

Are you getting enough vitamin D? We who luve up north often need to take a supplement. In Norway they add it to the milk.

It's not a bad idea at all. Just found out today I'm headed to Dominica for a few weeks to help with hurricane recovery. Hopefully I can top up on vitamin D while there. :p

fidreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2018, 02:38:24 PM »
I am so much healthier.  I used to be one of those people having a hard time fitting exercising in.  I commuted 80 mins. a day.  Now I play pickleball 4 days a week and strength train 2x/ week.  I am baking my own bread (thanks to post by Go Curry Cracker).  I feel like a different person.  Happier and healthier!  Feel like I'm on another planet than everyone else.

Mrs. Rocker

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Off Our Rocker RV
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2018, 03:21:57 PM »
We are much healthier post FIRE. More time to exercise, less stress, better sleep, and more time to prepare good food.

peabody58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • FIRE 04/2015 @ 57
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 06:11:00 PM »
FIRE'd for 3 years, 60 now.  BP still moderately high (Dr says DNA).   Recovering from back surgery I should have had decades ago.  We've gained a few pounds.  Stress level way down.  Wife has had a shoulder surgery and self caused foot injury.  Overdue dental issues coming to light and being addressed.

Believe next year will be a lot better as we are getting more active and 'trying' to eat better.

Good news don't need no little blue pills and wife is very very happy!  Your mileage may vary.

thepuglife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 10:48:54 PM »
I am so much healthier since FIRE. I have time to get more sleep, do yoga and work out videos (I recommend fitnessblender -- it is excellent and free), hike in the woods and walk my dog. I also have time to grow some of my own food and cook -- and eliminated a lot of processed food. As a working parent, I had no time to do those things before FIRE.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!