Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611860 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #850 on: March 26, 2019, 07:56:32 AM »
I don't hate it as much as the use of their/them as singular non-gendered pronouns but it's close.

I'm with you. I mentioned this to arebelspy once, and they said I just needed to get used to it.

There's a lot of truth to what @arebelspy said. Everyone just evolve a tiny bit.

i fully support the evolution of language and the use of non-gender pronouns if that's what people want.  no objection to that, but we need a new conjugation, not the appropriation of a conjugation that already has a well established meaning.

i use words like 'complexify' and other verbifications so i'd like to hear some new word for the pronouns.  :)

We have these. Ze and zir, for example.

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #851 on: March 26, 2019, 08:36:37 AM »
I don't hate it as much as the use of their/them as singular non-gendered pronouns but it's close.

I'm with you. I mentioned this to arebelspy once, and they said I just needed to get used to it.

There's a lot of truth to what @arebelspy said. Everyone just evolve a tiny bit.
I agree.  They is right.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #852 on: March 28, 2019, 08:09:49 AM »
It bugs me when people add a word because they don't understand that one of the words they're using already contains the meaning of the word they're adding, as in:

"inhale in" (yoga instructor)
"revert back"
"repeat again"

Or, oddly enough, when they do the opposite:

"very sort of"

Well, is it "very" or is it "sort of"? It can't be both.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #853 on: March 28, 2019, 08:53:47 AM »
It bugs me when people add a word because they don't understand that one of the words they're using already contains the meaning of the word they're adding, as in:

"revert back"
"repeat again"

"very sort of"

I'm sure this is somewhere in this thread already, but "very unique" seems to fall in this general category too.  If something is unique, there is nothing like it, so how can it be "very"?  Very special, very unusual, sure, but very unique?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #854 on: March 28, 2019, 09:05:28 AM »

"revert back"
"repeat again"

"very sort of"

I'm sure this is somewhere in this thread already, but "very unique" seems to fall in this general category too.  If something is unique, there is nothing like it, so how can it be "very"?  Very special, very unusual, sure, but very unique?

On this point, one thing I particularly hate is that there are certain expressions like this that I've heard so often, it's very hard to eradicate them from my own vocabulary. Certainly, I never write "very unique." But when I'm speaking, the expression is so oft-heard that I find myself starting to say it, then stopping myself.

Same with "I could care less" and incorrect use of "hopefully." Hate all three of those expressions, and I wish there was some control panel I could access in my brain where I could switch them off permanently.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #855 on: March 28, 2019, 03:08:00 PM »
Same with "I could care less" and incorrect use of "hopefully." Hate all three of those expressions, and I wish there was some control panel I could access in my brain where I could switch them off permanently.

The easy fix for finding yourself saying "I could care less" is to end it with a question mark, as in "I could care less?".  The implication then is that no, you could not care less.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #856 on: March 29, 2019, 07:11:49 PM »

"revert back"
"repeat again"

"very sort of"

In my profession we’re often asked to “share out.” Ugh.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #857 on: March 30, 2019, 01:04:05 AM »

"revert back"
"repeat again"

"very sort of"

In my profession we’re often asked to “share out.” Ugh.
Ugh. That is a good reason to race to FIRE. Soon, no more "sharing out" for you!

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #858 on: April 03, 2019, 04:00:01 PM »
Thoughts?

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #859 on: April 03, 2019, 04:16:27 PM »

i fully support the evolution of language and the use of non-gender pronouns if that's what people want.  no objection to that, but we need a new conjugation, not the appropriation of a conjugation that already has a well established meaning.

But they has a long and illustrious history as a single pronoun. Chaucer used it. Shakespeare used it. And the King James Bible. And Jane Austen and Lewis Carroll and on and on.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #860 on: April 03, 2019, 04:23:54 PM »
Someone referred to a certain percentage of the populace as a certain percentage of the "populous."

^

I read this a few days ago.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 04:25:52 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #861 on: April 03, 2019, 04:31:28 PM »

"revert back"
"repeat again"

"very sort of"

I have said "up forward' and "back aft."

But only a few times.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #862 on: April 03, 2019, 05:37:42 PM »
I frequently see people write that someone "eeks" out a living.

UGH....

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #863 on: April 04, 2019, 09:41:20 AM »
I frequently see people write that someone "eeks" out a living.

UGH....

Must be a lot of mice at that job.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #864 on: April 10, 2019, 10:43:29 AM »
I wish there were a way to see all my posts on just this topic.  Because I have more I want to contribute, but I think I may have already said them.  :(

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #865 on: April 10, 2019, 01:49:19 PM »
I wish there were a way to see all my posts on just this topic.  Because I have more I want to contribute, but I think I may have already said them.  :(

Well, when you have lots of free time  you could start at page 1 and just skim through looking for your name.   ;-(

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #866 on: April 10, 2019, 02:24:18 PM »

Use the print view: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/wordsphrases-i-wish-would-go-away/?action=printpage

And then hit control+f and search for "Post by: BlueHouse"

I see 22 of them.

10-20 seconds per post, I estimate it'll take you 5-10 minutes to read through them all.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #867 on: April 10, 2019, 04:06:39 PM »
People who say they "built" a house when they really mean they hired a builder and picked out a design. It's up there with saying you "rescued" a dog (George Carlin had a bit on that one.

I was once asked if I had adopted my dog. It's not like I could have given birth to it, so....

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #868 on: April 10, 2019, 05:37:52 PM »
People who say they "built" a house when they really mean they hired a builder and picked out a design. It's up there with saying you "rescued" a dog (George Carlin had a bit on that one.

I was once asked if I had adopted my dog. It's not like I could have given birth to it, so....

I had my tires changed.  Yes, I had the tires on my car changed, I don't personally have tires.  We all do that all the time, I suppose we assume others will understand what we mean.  Shorthand, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

You might have bought your dog (from a reputable breeder, preferably) instead of adopting from a shelter.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #869 on: April 10, 2019, 06:03:47 PM »
Someone recommending a product said "I  recomand it."

This morning I read this misspelling  of "recommend."
« Last Edit: April 10, 2019, 06:10:14 PM by John Galt incarnate! »

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #870 on: May 06, 2019, 01:38:25 PM »
I've got one!

"Loving on."

Example: 

"Danny's having a rough time -- let's all just love on him and let his heart be filled with the Holy Spirit!"

I associate the phrase with religious people, especially in the South, but it appears in secular contexts, like "loving on your kids." 

I don't like the phrase, because it calls to mind some sort of forced group hug in a church basement.  You could just say "love," but the preposition "on" suggests physical contact (even if the speakers don't mean it that way). It just gives me an icky sensation whenever I hear it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 01:41:10 PM by marble_faun »

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #871 on: May 06, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »
Trump's gross overuse of "frankly" has caused me to hate it.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: May 06, 2019, 02:54:00 PM »
I've got one!

"Loving on."

Example: 

"Danny's having a rough time -- let's all just love on him and let his heart be filled with the Holy Spirit!"

I associate the phrase with religious people, especially in the South, but it appears in secular contexts, like "loving on your kids." 

I don't like the phrase, because it calls to mind some sort of forced group hug in a church basement.  You could just say "love," but the preposition "on" suggests physical contact (even if the speakers don't mean it that way). It just gives me an icky sensation whenever I hear it.

I think I've heard a song with the phrase  "lovin' on you."

In any case I've always  associated the phrase with physical affection between two people, kissing, hugging, caressing, etc.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #873 on: May 06, 2019, 08:31:28 PM »
I watch some of the Judge shows and it really irks me when people say that money given to them was a GIFF.

It was a giff. They said I didn't have to pay it back cuz it was a giff!  ARG!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #874 on: May 06, 2019, 10:19:51 PM »
I've got one!

"Loving on."

Example: 

Ugh, yes. I have the same reaction for the same reason.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #875 on: May 07, 2019, 08:33:51 AM »
People who say they "built" a house when they really mean they hired a builder and picked out a design.
This one drives me crazy.  Even worse was when someone reasonably tech savvy says they "built" a computer when they selected specs online.  Come on.  Actually putting together a computer is not a big job (certainly compared to actually building a house), and has only gotten easier to the point where it's basically assembling Legos.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #876 on: May 07, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »
As far as building a house I can say we built our house. My Dad was the General Contractor. My husband did a lot of manual physical labor and helped with masonry work. We had to hire all the tradesmen, buy the materials. The house was started in June of 1975 and we moved in September of 1975. It seemed to take forever but was really fast and 99% finished when we moved in. The lawn was full of stones and was a ton of work. While building the house we lived it, breathed it, ate sawdust, we had tears, family arguments. We had worries over money, construction mortgage, buying the land...there was a ton of things. No, we didn't physically pound all the nails that hold the house together but we were there while the property was bulldozed, concrete foundation poured, sheet rock walls put in place, heating system installed, well drilled, septic system installed, tons of stuff. I was 22 and the Hub was 23 at the time. We saved the money on our own to get the property and then got a construction mortgage.

I guess it is a phrase like any other.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #877 on: May 09, 2019, 09:47:51 AM »
As far as building a house I can say we built our house. My Dad was the General Contractor. My husband did a lot of manual physical labor and helped with masonry work. We had to hire all the tradesmen, buy the materials. The house was started in June of 1975 and we moved in September of 1975. It seemed to take forever but was really fast and 99% finished when we moved in. The lawn was full of stones and was a ton of work. While building the house we lived it, breathed it, ate sawdust, we had tears, family arguments. We had worries over money, construction mortgage, buying the land...there was a ton of things. No, we didn't physically pound all the nails that hold the house together but we were there while the property was bulldozed, concrete foundation poured, sheet rock walls put in place, heating system installed, well drilled, septic system installed, tons of stuff. I was 22 and the Hub was 23 at the time. We saved the money on our own to get the property and then got a construction mortgage.

I guess it is a phrase like any other.
A guy at work uses the phrase to mean mommy and daddy wrote a check to pay for whatever he picked out in a catalog, and then bought he and his wife an SUV because toddlers.  There's a spectrum.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #878 on: May 09, 2019, 09:49:34 AM »
"butthurt"  It's vulgar and uncreative.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 09:51:07 AM by KBecks »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #879 on: May 09, 2019, 12:33:26 PM »
"butthurt"  It's vulgar and uncreative.
Damn.  I guess I'm just vulgar and uncreative.  Or butthurt. :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #880 on: May 10, 2019, 06:42:20 PM »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #881 on: May 10, 2019, 08:23:04 PM »
Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Sent from my Android
Sent by someone too dumb to delete the default signature line

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #882 on: May 10, 2019, 11:02:48 PM »
Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Sent from my Android
Sent by someone too dumb to delete the default signature line
Oh, hell yes!

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #883 on: May 11, 2019, 07:50:07 AM »
Loath/loathe, discrete/discreet, who/whom and me/myself are the ones that annoy me.

I also get annoyed when someone uses a gender-neutral singular pronoun for someone whose gender is known. "The dumped player was told to pack their bags." Unless you're trying to hide the identity of the player for dramatic effect, it's his or her bags.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #884 on: May 11, 2019, 08:20:44 AM »
I hate it when people use to instead of too.

I put to much sugar in my coffee.
This shirt is to tight.
My hamburger is to salty.
This movie is to violent.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #885 on: May 20, 2019, 01:59:57 PM »
Loath/loathe, discrete/discreet, who/whom and me/myself are the ones that annoy me.

I also get annoyed when someone uses a gender-neutral singular pronoun for someone whose gender is known. "The dumped player was told to pack their bags." Unless you're trying to hide the identity of the player for dramatic effect, it's his or her bags.

I get annoyed by misguided complaints about the use of they as a singular pronoun. ;)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #886 on: May 28, 2019, 06:02:12 AM »

This shirt is to tight.

You gave to many examples too make your point. What are you trying too say? :-p

Wilson Hall

• Stubble
« Reply #887 on: May 28, 2019, 11:13:24 AM »
-Epic
-Amazing
-Actually (which has turned into a verbal filler like "like" has)
-Brah, bruh, and all other variations
-Baked into (except when referring to a recipe)
-Jelly (for "jealous")
-AF
-Onboarding (and all other corporate jargon, for that matter)

"Impacted" is overused these days. What is wrong with the word "affected?" "Impacted" sounds like something that happens to one's bowels.

Recently, I've heard "welcome in" when entering a store or restaurant. What does this mean? Why not simply say, "Welcome to..."?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #888 on: May 28, 2019, 11:33:49 AM »

This shirt is to tight.

Those are to great points!

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #889 on: May 28, 2019, 11:35:05 AM »

This shirt is to tight.

Two people are too many to open the door.
Too plus Too equals fore.
Let's go too the movies.
I have to many apples.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #890 on: May 30, 2019, 07:13:45 AM »
"hot take"

anything to do with "tea"

"pivoting" (corporatespeak)

when someone does the clapping hands emoiji between every single words in a phrase or sentence

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #891 on: May 30, 2019, 07:22:08 AM »

This shirt is to tight.
Two people are too many to open the door.
Too plus Too equals fore.
Let's go too the movies.
I have to many apples.
You guys are two much.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #892 on: May 30, 2019, 07:34:14 AM »
Take it to the next level...BLAH!!!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #893 on: May 30, 2019, 11:16:36 AM »

What's wrong with tea? Am I missing something? It's a delicious hot beverage.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #894 on: May 30, 2019, 11:26:15 AM »
I've got one!

"Loving on”...

I don't like the phrase, because it calls to mind some sort of forced group hug in a church basement..... It just gives me an icky sensation whenever I hear it.

YES to all of this.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #895 on: May 30, 2019, 11:29:28 AM »

I have lately noticed “tea” being used in new ways as in Spill the tea (share the gossip.) APPARENTLY this originates in drag queen culture where T stands for Truth, so “tell the Truth/tell the T/ Tell the Tea morphed to spill the Tea.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 11:33:05 AM by iris lily »

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #896 on: May 30, 2019, 01:10:42 PM »

I have lately noticed “tea” being used in new ways as in Spill the tea (share the gossip.) APPARENTLY this originates in drag queen culture where T stands for Truth, so “tell the Truth/tell the T/ Tell the Tea morphed to spill the Tea.

Yes!  I first noticed this slang on YouTube (which I keep half an eye on for anthropological reasons).  Among a certain set of YouTubers, there's all kinds of drama and character assassinations always going on, and everyone is scrambling to get the "tea." 

I actually like this slang though and have started using it in real life. :-)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #897 on: May 31, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
I dont mind “spill the tea.”

It is “loving on” that grates.

EricL

« Reply #898 on: June 05, 2019, 11:12:32 AM »
“Late Stage Capitalism”  It’s a socialist/communist dog whistle phrase that implies there are stages of capitalism and that we’ve arrived at its latest, most degenerate state.  Like capitalism is some kind of disease like cancer. 

The term was originally coined just referring to capitalism after 1902 with modified definitions every since.  But capitalism doesn’t have morality stages where one version was somehow superior to the other.  You can still hate capitalism if you want and say it was always evil.  There’s seriously good arguments for that point of view.  But the term states a position as fully argued that isn’t; it implies academic backing when the academic definition is more nuanced. 

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #899 on: June 05, 2019, 11:42:35 AM »

"custum"  "breaded"

^

The same person misspelled "custom" and "braided."

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:45:40 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!