Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611825 times)

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #750 on: November 20, 2018, 01:49:34 PM »

Here’s another thing... it’s very particular.  Sometimes people over annunciate all of the letters in ‘Important’, especially the center ‘T’. It seems to mostly be upper class white women over 35... but that’s just a total random observation.  There are at least two people on regular podcasts that I listen to who do it and it ruins the whole episode when I hear them over annunciating that ‘T’...

Funny you should say this.  Lately I've found myself pronouncing important this way, and I really have no idea why!  I am over 35 too.  Hmmm.   Although it's not the typcial pronunciation, it is apparently the correct pronunciation, according to the dictionary:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu9Kb4oN3EQ

Hahahah, it's ok!  It's SUCH a specific and trivial thing for me to be annoyed about.  I am also certain it's the correct pronunciation.
But yikes does it grind my gears.
Chris Guillebeau...however his last name is spelled from the Podcase 'Side Hustle School' does this with almost every single word and although I really enjoy his Podcast, I catch myself flinching every time he does it. 
I think perhaps I am the problem.

I turn 35 in a week or so... we'll see what happens.  I am a lower class white woman... that just might check enough of the boxes to turn me into an over-enunciator!

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #751 on: November 26, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »
Now that football season is back in full swing, so is my biggest pet peeve.  "We won last night".  Uh, no...  There was no WE in that win.  YOU were sitting on the couch watching THEM win.  THEY did the work.  YOU did not.  YOU do not get to claim credit by saying "WE won".  If you really want to say "WE", then you need to put the beer down, get your sorry rear off the couch, and go put in some work that you can then actually claim credit on.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #752 on: November 26, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »
Now that football season is back in full swing, so is my biggest pet peeve.  "We won last night".  Uh, no...  There was no WE in that win.  YOU were sitting on the couch watching THEM win.  THEY did the work.  YOU did not.  YOU do not get to claim credit by saying "WE won".  If you really want to say "WE", then you need to put the beer down, get your sorry rear off the couch, and go put in some work that you can then actually claim credit on.

Eh, that doesn't bug me. It's just a way of expressing a sense of group loyalty. It's similar to how people from America/UK/Russia/etc. who weren't even alive during World War II might say "We won the war." They don't need to specify that they weren't personally storming the beaches at Normandy or planting Victory Gardens.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #753 on: November 27, 2018, 05:45:22 AM »
"Cringe" everything now is we are parents make our kids Cringe. Half the time its not even used in the right context. Kids are rewriting the dictionary.

bestname

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #754 on: November 27, 2018, 02:20:35 PM »
Along the over-enunciating lines: people who pronounce the "th" in clothes make me (sorry) cringe.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #755 on: November 27, 2018, 02:45:05 PM »
Along the over-enunciating lines: people who pronounce the "th" in clothes make me (sorry) cringe.
Also, pronouncing "mature" so that it rhymes with "manure."

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #756 on: November 27, 2018, 04:00:30 PM »
What do you say instead of the "th"?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #757 on: November 27, 2018, 04:01:55 PM »

But of course they rhyme. The second syllable is accented for both.  The "u" is not quite the "u" of "your" How do you say them?

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #758 on: November 27, 2018, 04:30:15 PM »

But of course they rhyme. The second syllable is accented for both.  The "u" is not quite the "u" of "your" How do you say them?

Mature is (approximately) ma-CHUR and manure is ma-NEW-er. I think ketchup is saying some people say ma-CHEW-er (a bit of an exaggeration there, but I have heard it basically this way at times and do think is odd).  Depending on region the CH sound in  mature might just be a regular T sound, but most often where I live at least, people turn that into a CH sound.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #759 on: November 27, 2018, 05:27:24 PM »

Mature is (approximately) ma-CHUR and manure is ma-NEW-er. I think ketchup is saying some people say ma-CHEW-er (a bit of an exaggeration there, but I have heard it basically this way at times and do think is odd).  Depending on region the CH sound in  mature might just be a regular T sound, but most often where I live at least, people turn that into a CH sound.
I am used to the ch sound in mature. It is annoying when people turn it into three syllables, usually with the t sound, like mah-too-er.

When did they start calling fake wool "Sherpa". It seems like it used to be called something else. It bothers me for some reason.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #760 on: November 27, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »

When did they start calling fake wool "Sherpa". It seems like it used to be called something else. It bothers me for some reason.
I have not heard this but I would be totally bothered by this too, since it's a culture/ethnic group and I don't know of any connection fake wool has to the Sherpa people.

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #761 on: November 27, 2018, 05:48:53 PM »

I feel the same!  Ha.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #762 on: November 28, 2018, 12:07:58 PM »

I feel the same!  Ha.

Speaking of  "th," I've heard "height" mispronounced more than any other word.

"Length" and "width" and "breadth" end in "th" so I easily understand why "height" is frequently mispronounced "heigth."

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #763 on: November 28, 2018, 12:26:08 PM »

I've read a few posts (not on this site) in which the correct word was "tenet" but "tenant" was used instead.

I live in an urban area where there are unfortunately, way too many murders.  I've seen on more than one occasion, a notice of an upcoming 'Visual" (vigil).   This is what happens when people don't read or see words in written form.

Patty-o Chairs For Sale

^

I saw this sign at a garage sale, a misspelling I cannot forget because it's so  amusing.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #764 on: November 28, 2018, 12:50:58 PM »

I am used to the ch sound in mature. It is annoying when people turn it into three syllables, usually with the t sound, like mah-too-er.

This is what I meant.  Perhaps I explained it badly.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #765 on: November 28, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
"It is what it is". 

Jesus Christ I've never heard a more inane saying. 

From now on, my response to this particular bit of vacuity will be:

"Actually, it isn't what it isn't". 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #766 on: November 28, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »

I've read a few posts (not on this site) in which the correct word was "tenet" but "tenant" was used instead.

I live in an urban area where there are unfortunately, way too many murders.  I've seen on more than one occasion, a notice of an upcoming 'Visual" (vigil).   This is what happens when people don't read or see words in written form.

Patty-o Chairs For Sale

^

I saw this sign at a garage sale, a misspelling I cannot forget because it's so  amusing.
Bawld peanuts are delicious.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #767 on: November 28, 2018, 02:35:36 PM »
"It is what it is". 

I get why people get annoyed at this one but I like it and use it (mostly internally) on occasion. Yes, it's tautological, but it's not always inane. I actually find it pretty deep when deployed properly.

In my use its a reminder that things/events/problems/people are what they are and aren't what I hope/wish/expect/fear them to be, an extension of meditative practice noting when I've caught myself not dealing with reality on reality's terms.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #768 on: November 28, 2018, 02:54:07 PM »
"It is what it is". 

I get why people get annoyed at this one but I like it and use it (mostly internally) on occasion. Yes, it's tautological, but it's not always inane. I actually find it pretty deep when deployed properly.

In my use its a reminder that things/events/problems/people are what they are and aren't what I hope/wish/expect/fear them to be, an extension of meditative practice noting when I've caught myself not dealing with reality on reality's terms.
I prefer the similar Spanish phrase "Que será, será." ("What will be, will be.")  But either way, the first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #769 on: November 28, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »
"It is what it is". 

On the other hand, I hear it mostly coming from the mouths of people too inarticulate to express an 'actual' deep thought.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #770 on: December 08, 2018, 03:43:13 PM »
People from Murland who feel turble.  I detest the Maryland accent. 

(Maryland / Terrible)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #771 on: December 09, 2018, 10:32:58 PM »
Repeat after me: "close". Of course, if you use the word "clothing" the "th" sound reappears. Totally logical.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #772 on: December 10, 2018, 07:21:23 AM »
Repeat after me: "close". Of course, if you use the word "clothing" the "th" sound reappears. Totally logical.

Local dialects and pronunciation.  I say the "th" in both words, but the "th" in clothes is much softer than the "th" in clothing.  If someone said "I just bought some close" I would have to take a few seconds to process it.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #773 on: December 11, 2018, 05:43:52 AM »
Was watching one of the Judge shows on tv and this guy stands before the judge and has something on his finger. The Judge asks what is wrong with his finger. The guy says he has a 'trick' finger. LOL, the judge corrected him and told him he had a 'trigger' finger. ROTFL!

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #774 on: December 20, 2018, 11:46:22 AM »
"One point oh" and "two point oh".

One. Two. That's all.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #775 on: December 20, 2018, 12:52:24 PM »
Is "Instapot" an actual brand name? I don't know why this particular slang or abbreviation or whatever you want to call it annoys me, but it does. I think if I knew a company called "Instapot" existed, I'd be less annoyed. I suspect what bothers me is that I think people are getting it wrong and calling an Instant Pot an "instapot" just out of laziness, but maybe I'm the one who's misinformed! (And yet I abbreviate all sorts of things out of laziness, so I don't know how I have any right to be irritated.)

Also... The trendy new phrase for agreeing with someone seems to be "Hundred percent!!" Maybe it's the frequency with which I hear it, but it drives me nuts, and I can't wait until this trend dies.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #776 on: December 20, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »
Athletes when announced their school "THEEEEEEEEEE Ohio State". and now all the copy cats

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #777 on: December 21, 2018, 08:14:11 PM »
I actually thought InstaPot was the brand name, but, nope, it's Instant Pot. No idea how/why that go shortened.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #778 on: December 21, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »
"I could care less" when they actually mean "I could NOT care less".

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #779 on: December 21, 2018, 09:18:51 PM »

I have never heard anyone say "I could care less"  its always "I couldn't care less" here in Australia (well in the parts Ive lived)

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #780 on: December 21, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »

I have never heard anyone say "I could care less"  its always "I couldn't care less" here in Australia (well in the parts Ive lived)
Yes, we do it right here. It's an american thing to get it wrong - that's why I'm edumicating them.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I%20could%20care%20less
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/could-care-less-versus-couldnt-care-less
https://www.dictionary.com/e/could-care-less/

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #781 on: December 22, 2018, 06:35:38 AM »

Yes, we do it right here. It's an american thing to get it wrong - that's why I'm edumicating them.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I%20could%20care%20less
https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/could-care-less-versus-couldnt-care-less
https://www.dictionary.com/e/could-care-less/

Or we could just say "Could I care less?"  Rhetorical question, no I can't.

phildonnia

• Bristles
« Reply #782 on: January 07, 2019, 04:27:23 PM »
Using "invest" to mean "consume". 

"Maybe I should just invest in the 75-inch screen..."

Unless you own a sports bar, that's not an investment.  Buy expensive toys if you can afford them, but if you use the word "invest", it sounds like you're trying to make a stupid purchase sound like a wise financial move.

pdxbator

• Stubble
« Reply #783 on: January 07, 2019, 07:53:05 PM »
Saying old aunt Ida "passed". I have a lot of family members that use this as a pleasant (?) way to say died. For some reason it just really annoys me. I work in cancer care and see lot of sick people who will die, and saying passed doesn't sugar coat it. They died!

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #784 on: January 08, 2019, 07:56:58 AM »
Saying old aunt Ida "passed". I have a lot of family members that use this as a pleasant (?) way to say died. For some reason it just really annoys me. I work in cancer care and see lot of sick people who will die, and saying passed doesn't sugar coat it. They died!

This annoys me, too. Our culture has a very strange relationship with death. It's one of the only things that will, no matter what, happen to every single one of us, and yet we all act like we can somehow escape it. Changing the word you use for something doesn't change the thing itself. Better to accept it and live your life knowing it's coming. For example, I read somewhere that someone calculated how many more visits he will have with his parents, given that he visits twice a year and their remaining life expectancy is about 10 years. Kinda puts things in perspective.

Most people these days have never even seen a dead body (except maybe at a viewing, after its been all cleaned up, makeup applied, etc.), but not very long ago, the body was often kept in the home just before the funeral. Stretched out on the dining room table, even. It used to be common for children to die, and for adults to die in places other than a hospital, and while of course I wouldn't wish for any of that to come back, we've very much institutionalized death... to the point where it's almost not even real for most people. People are shocked and horrified when Grandma dies at age 98.

To relate this to MMM, this means too few people have financial plans for after they die. Families end up fighting over what's left, no one can afford the funeral, the "correct" heir gets nothing, etc. And people don't live their lives with intention, since they somehow believe they have an infinite amount of time.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #785 on: January 09, 2019, 08:25:19 PM »
They died and now they're dead. I especially hate it when they pronounce "passed" as "past", as in "Uncle George past last night. Ugh!

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #786 on: January 10, 2019, 06:44:09 AM »
They died and now they're dead. I especially hate it when they pronounce "passed" as "past", as in "Uncle George past last night. Ugh!
Well he sure not future!

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #787 on: January 10, 2019, 07:43:07 AM »

How would you pronounce "passed" such that it does not sound like "past"? I've never heard them pronounced differently.

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #788 on: January 10, 2019, 07:46:33 AM »

How would you pronounce "passed" such that it does not sound like "past"? I've never heard them pronounced differently.
I get super annoyed when I'm having a conversation similar to this and someone interrupts to say, "That is morbid."

No shit Sherlock.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #789 on: January 10, 2019, 07:54:27 AM »

Uh, one has a hard "t" sound at the end of it and one doesn't?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #790 on: January 10, 2019, 08:08:09 AM »

I’ve heard that one since my childhood in the 1980s. It was deemed “cool,” which meant that I heard it from my 6th grade classmates approximately 25 times per day. I considered it annoying and confusing even then, but asking “don’t you mean couldn’t care less?” made me even less popular than I already was. Sigh.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #791 on: January 10, 2019, 08:12:04 AM »
I keep seeing statements such as “I was gifted [object].” No, you were GIVEN the object, possibly as a gift. English already had a word for this concept, folks.

I’ve given up hope that people will stop saying “ATM machine.”

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #792 on: January 10, 2019, 08:18:27 AM »

This one has me scratching my head, too. I hear/say "past" and "passed" the same way. Same as "last," only the sound of the first letter is different, of course. Dicey, I think you're from the US, right? So am I, and I'm trying to think of a time when I've heard these words pronounced the way you mentioned. Maybe it's a very specific region?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #793 on: January 10, 2019, 08:30:27 AM »
I keep seeing statements such as “I was gifted [object].” No, you were GIVEN the object, possibly as a gift. English already had a word for this concept, folks.

I’ve given up hope that people will stop saying “ATM machine.”

I hate "gifted" too. I see it more around this forum than anywhere else. I blame Frugalwoods. (I otherwise really like her blog but I think she started this whole using "gift" as a verb trend).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #794 on: January 10, 2019, 09:16:42 AM »

This one has me scratching my head, too. I hear/say "past" and "passed" the same way. Same as "last," only the sound of the first letter is different, of course. Dicey, I think you're from the US, right? So am I, and I'm trying to think of a time when I've heard these words pronounced the way you mentioned. Maybe it's a very specific region?
Yes, I am US based. Passed has two esssses and ends with a softer "d". Past has one ess and ends with a crisp "t", so it has a harder sound. Try saying "Pass the potatoes" vs. "Past the potatoes." Then say "At dinner, the potatoes were passed around the table." If you say "past around the table", then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Another one is yes-ti-day instead of yes-ter-day. Ugh, just sounds gross.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #795 on: January 10, 2019, 10:41:35 AM »

I'm so glad I haven't heard that one!  What about pronouncing "mischievous" mis-CHEE-vee-us?  I feel like that's the most common pronunciation, although there is clearly no i or ee after the v. It's so common, I'm halfway used to it, but still notice (and judge!) when someone pronounces it that way.

OTOH, I'm no saint, as I don't pronounce Wednesday Wed-nes-day. Don't we all just basically say, "Wends-day" (or maybe "Wens-Day")? I just did a bit of googling and see articles about how the d became silent, but I don't think that really covers it, because most people also don't pronounce the e between the n and the s (like that would be "Wen-es-day"?).  It's a more significant departure from the spelling than just one silent letter.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #796 on: January 10, 2019, 11:57:15 AM »
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but "Have a good one."

Have a good what?????

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #797 on: January 10, 2019, 12:46:09 PM »

Yes, I am US based. Passed has two esssses and ends with a softer "d". Past has one ess and ends with a crisp "t", so it has a harder sound. Try saying "Pass the potatoes" vs. "Past the potatoes." Then say "At dinner, the potatoes were passed around the table." If you say "past around the table", then you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I would love you hear you say the two words to see if I could tell a difference. My tongue is incapable of following an "s" with a soft "d". I think you'd be sorely disappointed by the way the word "passed" is pronounced by the entire population of the Southeastern U.S.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #798 on: January 10, 2019, 02:30:27 PM »

Have a good what?????
Day.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #799 on: January 10, 2019, 02:41:14 PM »