Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611806 times)

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #600 on: July 31, 2018, 08:40:58 AM »
Acclimate. A perfectly good word exists already: acclimatise.

Never previously heard the word acclimatise in my life that I'm aware of.

I'll add one along these lines, though. Don't say "conversate" when what you mean is "converse".

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #601 on: July 31, 2018, 08:56:42 AM »

I'll add one along these lines, though. Don't say "conversate" when what you mean is "converse".

Or "dialogue", another example of a good noun turned bad verb. I'm also getting tired of "drill down"

I think acclimate/acclimatize is just a British/American difference, like aluminum/aluminium. Now my nephew is driving me crazy by adding an extra syllable to the word "tastes".

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #602 on: July 31, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »
This may be a "two peoples separated by a common language" issue. In the US, acclimate is the standard, long-standing word for, well... acclimate. Acclimatise sounds stilted to my ear, though I've heard both used.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #603 on: July 31, 2018, 05:56:38 PM »

Or "dialogue", another example of a good noun turned bad verb. I'm also getting tired of "drill down"

I think acclimate/acclimatize is just a British/American difference, like aluminum/aluminium. Now my nephew is driving me crazy by adding an extra syllable to the word "tastes".

I'm American and I only ever say acclimatize (but you will notice I spell it with a "z"!).  When I'm using that word for something other than hiking (or whatever) to high elevations, like maybe in reference to just getting used to a new home, or a new set of circumstances, I feel a little like I should use acclimate instead...in my gut.  And it's always bothered me, and I've never stopped to look into it.  But, I think acclimatize/acclimatise is used much more with respect to altitude, regardless of your nationality.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #604 on: August 07, 2018, 06:20:17 AM »
"loosing"

there is ONE fucking "o" in "losing"

forgot that one earlier

Well, "loosing" is fine once you remember to add the "en".
"Loosing" is also fine if you are referring to the act of releasing a bow string to launch an arrow. We often use the word 'fire' in modern speaking, but there's no fire in a bow.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #605 on: August 18, 2018, 07:44:45 PM »
The two biggies for me:

1) bucket list — blech
2) “peaked” my interest instead of “piqued” my interest.

Will you be my new best friend?

Regarding "bucket lists": If you want to zip line over the Grand Canyon, learn Swahili or attend the ball drop in New York on New Years, just do those things joyfully. Just don't make them seem like grim boxes you must check off before you die.

And "peaked" or "peeked" my interest. Perhaps while "pouring" over documents before you loose interest.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #606 on: August 18, 2018, 11:04:44 PM »
The two biggies for me:

1) bucket list — blech
2) “peaked” my interest instead of “piqued” my interest.

Will you be my new best friend?

Regarding "bucket lists": If you want to zip line over the Grand Canyon, learn Swahili or attend the ball drop in New York on New Years, just do those things joyfully. Just don't make them seem like grim boxes you must check off before you die.

And "peaked" or "peeked" my interest. Perhaps while "pouring" over documents before you loose interest
And @calimom, will you be mine ♡♡♡?

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: August 19, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »
Of course @Dicey !

Psewer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #608 on: August 24, 2018, 04:16:57 AM »
body positive

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #609 on: August 24, 2018, 09:51:49 AM »
"loosing"

there is ONE fucking "o" in "losing"

forgot that one earlier

Well, "loosing" is fine once you remember to add the "en".

What about America loosing Trump on the world?  :P

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #610 on: August 24, 2018, 10:14:44 AM »
The use of the word "literally" incorrectly (which is most of the time).

No, you did not literally drive through a fucking stop sign.

No, that guitar solo did not literally knock your socks off. FIGURATIVELY. IT FIGURATIVELY MADE YOUR HEAD SPIN, FUCKING DAMMIT!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:17:50 AM by Cwadda »

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #611 on: August 24, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »
This one drives me nuts:

Them: "Hey tarheeldan! Are we on for tonight?"
Me: "Absolutely!"
Them: "Be there for six"

(they mean they plan to arrive at 6pm) I sometimes ask: "For six what?"

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #612 on: August 24, 2018, 12:45:47 PM »
"I'll catch you up" -- when the person means, "I'll catch up with you."

To me, "I'll catch you up" means something like, "I'll fill you in."

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #613 on: August 24, 2018, 04:05:28 PM »
This one drives me nuts:

I actually kind of like/appreciate this one. I learned it when I lived in New Orleans for a few years, and (there, at least) it means that the person will be there in time to meet you at 6pm, rather than strolling in the door at 6pm on the nose or showing up late. To me it seems courteous that they plan to be there a couple of minutes early so they're ready for [meeting you at] 6pm.

lollylegs

• Stubble
« Reply #614 on: August 24, 2018, 04:38:26 PM »

Onboarding -  what was wrong with induction or orientation?

Offboarding   - I guess it sounds better than saying we fired thousands of people

vagina - it seems that millions of women don't know their own anatomy and refer to their vulva as their vagina - drives me nuts!  - vulva =outside - vagina = inside

millennials  - so many stereotypes with this

rdaneel0

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #615 on: August 24, 2018, 04:50:11 PM »
DISRUPTIVE

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #616 on: August 24, 2018, 05:35:37 PM »
Offboarding   - I guess it sounds better than saying we fired thousands of people

Similarly: "to sunset."  As in, you're using a web service that you like, but then its makers decide to "sunset" it, and now it's gone forever.  I guess "sunset" sounds nicer than "kill."

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #617 on: August 24, 2018, 05:45:29 PM »
Deplane in place of disembark.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #618 on: August 24, 2018, 11:43:09 PM »
This one actually makes sense. Disembark is originally from French desembarquer, which means coming off a small boat (une barque).

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #619 on: August 26, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #620 on: August 27, 2018, 09:29:38 AM »
This one drives me nuts:

I actually kind of like/appreciate this one. I learned it when I lived in New Orleans for a few years, and (there, at least) it means that the person will be there in time to meet you at 6pm, rather than strolling in the door at 6pm on the nose or showing up late. To me it seems courteous that they plan to be there a couple of minutes early so they're ready for [meeting you at] 6pm.

This is in New England, and they do not mean "I will be there early, in order to be ready for our meeting at 6". They are using "for" in place of "at."

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #621 on: August 27, 2018, 06:21:20 PM »
More fad-speak has been happening at work recently.  Lately there has been a proliferation of the following:

Using "ask" as a noun, instead of "request".  As in, "That is a big ask."  Or, "We should meet to clarify what the ask is."

Also, using "heavy lift" instead of "challenge".  As in, "That is a heavy lift for your team, let me know if they need help." 

It is like a disease.  Someone starts it and then pretty soon everyone is mimicking the lingo. 

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #622 on: August 27, 2018, 06:52:07 PM »
This one isn't bugging me yet, but I hope it doesn't catch on. It's "copy pasta". I see it a lot on Slack where groups are informally communicating about projects. I think it's meant to be funny, like someone mistyped it and now it's a joke (like spelling "the" "teh").

Given my tangential connection to silicon valley techies, I'm guessing it's a rampant joke amongst them.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #623 on: August 27, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »
More fad-speak has been happening at work recently.  Lately there has been a proliferation of the following:

Using "ask" as a noun, instead of "request".  As in, "That is a big ask."  Or, "We should meet to clarify what the ask is."

Also, using "heavy lift" instead of "challenge".  As in, "That is a heavy lift for your team, let me know if they need help." 

It is like a disease.  Someone starts it and then pretty soon everyone is mimicking the lingo.

Literally a disease!

*facepalm*

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #624 on: August 27, 2018, 08:09:30 PM »
Feel free to be snarky about deplane if you want but I think it's an ugly nasal-sounding word with an odd construction. Ie: the plane is not being disassembled or becoming not a plane, the people on the plane are leaving.

Seems some others share similar views:
https://www.economist.com/johnson/2010/06/25/journalese-blacklist-deplane
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 05:48:00 AM by tralfamadorian »

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #625 on: August 27, 2018, 09:51:27 PM »
This one isn't bugging me yet, but I hope it doesn't catch on. It's "copy pasta". I see it a lot on Slack where groups are informally communicating about projects. I think it's meant to be funny, like someone mistyped it and now it's a joke (like spelling "the" "teh").

Given my tangential connection to silicon valley techies, I'm guessing it's a rampant joke amongst them.

Copypasta is longstanding part of internet culture!  It's hard to explain, but imagine memes that are just typed text. The text is is copied and inserted into different online conversations. Often it's a really passionate, strident block of text, or a strange sentence that resonates with people in some way.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #626 on: August 28, 2018, 08:14:00 AM »

Gaaa! That one's pretty bad. I've kinda gotten used to "ask"

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #627 on: August 28, 2018, 07:22:12 PM »
I feel like no one would agree with me on this, but I am somehow bothered by the use of the word "folks" in place of "people."  And like, I wouldn't mind it if it was an occasional thing.  But it now feels mandatory and it's somehow made the word "people" feel like I am saying "you people" or something else harsh or inflammatory.  "People" is never allowed.

"Folks" to me was my parents' parents (they would always say, "my folks...."). Now I have to call everybody folks (whether using the second or the third person) or else I'm given the side eye like I'm a barbarian or something!

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #628 on: August 28, 2018, 07:28:49 PM »
“CIRCLE BACK”....
I swear I’m going to... I don’t know... really lose it if this doesn’t fade in the next few years.
“DISRUPT/DISRUPTION” when referring to companies, etc. “so and so is DISRUPTING the RV industry”..... staaaahhhhp.

Here’s another thing... it’s very particular.  Sometimes people over annunciate all of the letters in ‘Important’, especially the center ‘T’. It seems to mostly be upper class white women over 35... but that’s just a total random observation.  There are at least two people on regular podcasts that I listen to who do it and it ruins the whole episode when I hear them over annunciating that ‘T’...

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #629 on: August 28, 2018, 09:32:04 PM »
I am going to start posting daily occurrences of the improper use of "literally" because it makes me so angry. I want other people to get angry with me, it'll feel better. Well, maybe not daily but frequently enough to get some rage going.

Here's a good one:
"I've been soaking up the sun for the past few hours, literally."

Edit: here's another one
"I’ll be happy when I’m done with these antibiotics! Sheesh it’s taking everything out of me #literally"
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 09:34:05 PM by Cwadda »

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: August 29, 2018, 12:19:45 AM »
I agree about the misuse of literally. It is annoying. I correct my own children about it a lot because I try to do damage control where I can!

And I agree about "folks." I get why it is being used and I don't have a problem with that, I just really don't like the word itself. It doesn't mean to me what it means to most, I guess? It has some other feeling to it that is just not a feeling I like? I don't know, but you're not alone, sui generis.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #631 on: August 29, 2018, 12:28:03 AM »
“CIRCLE BACK”....
I swear I’m going to... I don’t know... really lose it if this doesn’t fade in the next few years.
“DISRUPT/DISRUPTION” when referring to companies, etc. “so and so is DISRUPTING the RV industry”..... staaaahhhhp.

Here’s another thing... it’s very particular.  Sometimes people over annunciate all of the letters in ‘Important’, especially the center ‘T’. It seems to mostly be upper class white women over 35... but that’s just a total random observation.  There are at least two people on regular podcasts that I listen to who do it and it ruins the whole episode when I hear them over annunciating that ‘T’...
Uh, hate to say this JanetJ, but I believe the word you want is "enunciate". I think I understand what you mean though. By far the worst abuser of this word is Nancy Grace. Ugh.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #632 on: August 29, 2018, 05:22:53 AM »
I agree about the misuse of literally. It is annoying. I correct my own children about it a lot because I try to do damage control where I can!

And I agree about "folks." I get why it is being used and I don't have a problem with that, I just really don't like the word itself. It doesn't mean to me what it means to most, I guess? It has some other feeling to it that is just not a feeling I like? I don't know, but you're not alone, sui generis.

In some accents “folks” is easy to mishear as “fucks” so I tend to avoid it.
Maybe the antibiotics were a cathartic experience, literally...

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #633 on: August 29, 2018, 06:24:12 AM »
I am going to start posting daily occurrences of the improper use of "literally" because it makes me so angry. I want other people to get angry with me, it'll feel better. Well, maybe not daily but frequently enough to get some rage going.

Here's a good one:
"I've been soaking up the sun for the past few hours, literally."

Edit: here's another one
"I’ll be happy when I’m done with these antibiotics! Sheesh it’s taking everything out of me #literally"

I've been bothered by this for a long time. One of the worst I've heard was "literally by the skin of my teeth". How could it get more figurative than this, teeth don't have skin. And news casters using it. Come on people, your whole job is talking. I've generally considered this a dealbreaker for relationships too, unless the misuser is willing to hear me out and change their misguided ways.

Also, have you seen the show Archer? You'd like Archer.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #634 on: August 29, 2018, 06:56:01 AM »
Um, I'm a (Canadian) middle-class white woman over 35, and yes there are 2 t's in important.

"Folks" was more an American than Canadian general usage word  (at least in English Quebec while I was growing up).  I first noticed "folks" replacing "people" with politicians' speeches - I think some wanted to be seen as "just folks" so they used folks instead of people.  Made me think they  were faking it.  But now it is ubiquitous.

And yes I know language changes.  I remember when "gay" meant happy and light-hearted.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #635 on: August 29, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
Um, I'm a (Canadian) middle-class white woman over 35, and yes there are 2 t's in important.

"Folks" was more an American than Canadian general usage word  (at least in English Quebec while I was growing up).  I first noticed "folks" replacing "people" with politicians' speeches - I think some wanted to be seen as "just folks" so they used folks instead of people.  Made me think they  were faking it.  But now it is ubiquitous.

And yes I know language changes.  I remember when "gay" meant happy and light-hearted.
"You people" sounds vaguely accusatory, whereas "you folks" sounds friendler. There's also kind of a degree of distance. Close, closer, closest: people, folks, friends.

Just my two cents, folks.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #636 on: August 29, 2018, 08:11:31 AM »
Is ma'am a word that people wish would go away?   I have always thought it was a polite manner to address someone. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/parents-outraged-son-punished-referring-163338274.html

Is sir also a problem?

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #637 on: August 29, 2018, 09:14:10 AM »
Another few misuses of the literally.

"Sometimes when I catch myself dwelling in the past I literally kick my balls back to reality."

"I love him so much I’m #literally sick without him"

"Voted for the first time ever in person!!! #turnfloridablue #nomoreredtide #LITERALLY"

Please, someone stop this epidemic, FIGURATIVELY speaking. It makes me want to FIGURATIVELY jump off a bridge.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #638 on: August 29, 2018, 09:42:43 AM »

I'd give this one a "plausible". It's probably not true but you could be literally sick due to emotions.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #639 on: August 29, 2018, 12:30:41 PM »
Is ma'am a word that people wish would go away?   I have always thought it was a polite manner to address someone. 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/parents-outraged-son-punished-referring-163338274.html

Is sir also a problem?
After graduating from college, we moved to the Houston area, and "sir" and "ma'am" are still in common use.  A lot of kids are taught by their parents to use those words, and I think it's awesome.  Even after moving northward, I try to use it more often, because I think it shows respect for the person with whom you're speaking.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #640 on: August 29, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »

Is sir also a problem?
After graduating from college, we moved to the Houston area, and "sir" and "ma'am" are still in common use.  A lot of kids are taught by their parents to use those words, and I think it's awesome.  Even after moving northward, I try to use it more often, because I think it shows respect for the person with whom you're speaking.

Wow, that's crazy. Many children in the South are taught to use the word unfailingly as a sign of respect to their elders. I'd be pissed if my children were punished for saying "sir" or "ma'am". When that's how you learn to speak, it's not exactly easy to stop saying "yes ma'am", because it comes out involuntarily. I had to practice for several years once I was in college to stop calling store clerks and waiters/waitresses "sir" and "ma'am", many of whom were younger than me. But the fact that this story is ridiculous is the only reason it's a story at all.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #641 on: August 29, 2018, 01:17:51 PM »
"You people" sounds vaguely accusatory, whereas "you folks" sounds friendler. There's also kind of a degree of distance. Close, closer, closest: people, folks, friends.

+1

Folks is also an easy substitute for y'all for southerns trying to soften their accent.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #642 on: August 29, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »

Is sir also a problem?

Wow, that's crazy. Many children in the South are taught to use the word unfailingly as a sign of respect to their elders. I'd be pissed if my children were punished for saying "sir" or "ma'am". When that's how you learn to speak, it's not exactly easy to stop saying "yes ma'am", because it comes out involuntarily. I had to practice for several years once I was in college to stop calling store clerks and waiters/waitresses "sir" and "ma'am", many of whom were younger than me. But the fact that this story is ridiculous is the only reason it's a story at all.
"Sir" makes me feel more important than I am (or that I'm being schmoozed by a salespunk), "ma'am" makes GF feel older than she is.  We're in our mid-20s in the midwest.  I grew up here, and she grew up in the southwest.  Just some data points.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #643 on: August 29, 2018, 01:34:37 PM »
I've noticed that people act better when I call them "sir" or "ma'am". It's almost like, if they sense respect, they stand a little taller, act a little more confident, etc.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #644 on: August 29, 2018, 01:46:07 PM »
ah, so glad I'm not alone!  And yes, I have the same feeling you describe.  It's not something that I can exactly articulate, but it's a feeling inside that just feels wrong in some particular way.

After reading a few other responses, it might just have to do with that attempt at aw-shucks-familiarity. For me at least. I really dislike it when people sorry, ahem folks work hard to seem overly familiar and...humble...or casual? It just feels fake when everybody *only* uses folks.  Especially in the third person!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:51:38 PM by sui generis »

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #645 on: August 29, 2018, 02:37:37 PM »

+1

Folks is also an easy substitute for y'all for southerns trying to soften their accent.

Agreed. I think "folks" is a great word. Eliminates the gender-specification in "you guys" as well.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #646 on: August 29, 2018, 02:44:42 PM »

+1

Agreed. I think "folks" is a great word. Eliminates the gender-specification in "you guys" as well.

The Goonies would have been a whole different movie if Sloth said "Hey Folks"

JanetJackson

• Pencil Stache
    • How I actually made $50 just for taking a survey and being in the healthcare marketplace
« Reply #647 on: August 29, 2018, 03:42:26 PM »

Is sir also a problem?
I saw this article earlier this week and while I think the punishment for a kid that young was far too drastic (I forget, and I'm not reopening the article, but I think the kid was young grade school age?), I do think the issue, or in the very least, issues LIKE this seem/ed to stem from being repeatedly called something you don't want to be called. 
Who knows, that teacher could have been a male, or gender non-conforming. 

If I told someone (an adult) my name (which is not Luke) and they called me Luke once, I'd correct them so sweetly and politely it could sweeten a cup of coffee, but if they continued to call me Luke after a few corrections, I'd have to assume it was on purpose and to agitate and disrespect me.
Just my two cents.

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #648 on: August 29, 2018, 05:26:14 PM »
Another few misuses of the literally.

"Sometimes when I catch myself dwelling in the past I literally kick my balls back to reality."

"Voted for the first time ever in person!!! #turnfloridablue #nomoreredtide #LITERALLY"

Please, someone stop this epidemic, FIGURATIVELY speaking. It makes me want to FIGURATIVELY jump off a bridge.

It is a verbal crutch.  They want some big sounding word in there to emphasize things.  We should start offering up "utterly" which is the same number of syllables and means what they think they are saying and even ends with that handy -ly thing.  But, the vowel out front is not as smoooove and therefore the idea just won't take.  Too hard to get off the launch pad. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #649 on: August 29, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »

You people and you folks both sound terrible.  If I am talking to people, "you" works fine.  If I want their attention, "hey, everyone" works well.

I think part of this may be a geography outlook - Canadian versus American English.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 05:51:14 PM by RetiredAt63 »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!