Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611838 times)

Rogue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #550 on: June 18, 2018, 10:01:04 AM »
I was sitting in on a vendor demo for work and one of the reps started a sentence with "Ultimately..." at least two dozen times over the course of an hour.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 10:27:00 AM by Rogue »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #551 on: June 18, 2018, 10:11:01 AM »
I also have an irrational negative reaction to this new thing everyone is doing in emails where they say "I'm moving Jim to BCC to save his inbox."  I was telling my BF about it, and he was like, "that's so clever, I might start doing that now!" and I was rankled even more.  I actually understand and agree, and see the efficiency of it, but somehow there's just something very...I can't find the right word, but sycophantic or showy or something about it, the way it is phrased vs. the efficiency of the technique.  I think I'm going overboard with it, but I still shudder at it the way a lot of people shudder at the word "moist."

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #552 on: June 18, 2018, 11:40:41 AM »
I also have an irrational negative reaction to this new thing everyone is doing in emails where they say "I'm moving Jim to BCC to save his inbox."  I was telling my BF about it, and he was like, "that's so clever, I might start doing that now!" and I was rankled even more.  I actually understand and agree, and see the efficiency of it, but somehow there's just something very...I can't find the right word, but sycophantic or showy or something about it, the way it is phrased vs. the efficiency of the technique.  I think I'm going overboard with it, but I still shudder at it the way a lot of people shudder at the word "moist."

I don't understand how this works or what this means. Please would you explain? (I do know what BCC is.)

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #553 on: June 18, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »

I don't understand how this works or what this means. Please would you explain? (I do know what BCC is.)
BCC is the same as blind copy.  It's an option, in addition to the cc field, on an email.  And sorry if this is going into even too much detail, but it lets you send a copy of a message to someone (in the bcc field) without anyone in the To or cc field knowing.  One of the important things to note when using the bcc field is that if any of the people in the To or cc field reply to your email (where you bcc'd someone else), the person you bcc'd will not be included (which makes total sense).

So sometimes there are a ton of people on an email, and it's going back and forth, continuing to copy everybody and their mother, when really only like two or three of the people need to be continuing to be connected to the conversation.  So, mostly as a courtesy to those that don't need to be on the email but keep getting pinged and having to spend time seeing if they need to pay attention to it, someone says, "I'm going to move Jim (and everybody else and their mothers) to BCC to save his inbox."  This lets Jim know what's happening without suddenly cutting him out (which could be a good idea in certain situations) as well as everyone else, and is a courtesy for Jim since he won't get anymore emails on this topic that is irrelevant to him (because when anyone else replies again, he won't be included since he was blind copied on the last one).

Both my work and volunteer lives are like this - with anywhere between 5 and 30 people on an email and a chain gets specific enough that most don't need to be on it anymore.  I mean, it makes a ton of sense to do it, actually.  It's just that somehow the phrasing of it feels gross to me.  Something about the "to save his inbox" that I am having an allergic reaction to.  And I swear I get this multiple times per day now, starting only like a month ago.  It became a THING so fast and everyone's using it as much as possible!

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #554 on: June 20, 2018, 12:00:18 AM »
(because when anyone else replies again, he won't be included since he was blind copied on the last one)

Aha! I get it now! This is the bit that hadn't occurred to me. Agreed that it is clever but "to save his inbox" is really ew. It strikes me as slightly infantilising for some reason. Like, "Who's a poor widdle inbox then, eh?". It also ticks me off a bit that people would just do it without asking Jim first. Maybe he likes knowing what's going on in the thread!

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #555 on: June 22, 2018, 08:51:15 AM »
Adding "right?" at the end of sentences.  I was listening to the radio where a guest was describing some factual events, and every few sentences she added the word right as a question.  Not sure whether she was gauging whether her host agreed with her, or was following what she was saying, or what. 
I just dislike that wishy washy way of talking - just say what you want to say.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #556 on: June 22, 2018, 09:43:00 AM »
Adding "right?" at the end of sentences.  I was listening to the radio where a guest was describing some factual events, and every few sentences she added the word right as a question.  Not sure whether she was gauging whether her host agreed with her, or was following what she was saying, or what. 
It could be a regional thing.  My sister-in-law spent a year in Australia and came back adding "yeah?" onto the end of half her statements in the same way.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #557 on: June 22, 2018, 10:03:59 AM »
It could be a regional thing.  My sister-in-law spent a year in Australia and came back adding "yeah?" onto the end of half her statements in the same way.

Either of those are much more forgivable than "you know what I mean?". If you're really asking the question as in "this is a complex explanation, do you understand it" that's fine, but as a way to end a sentence it's just painful. Are you actually asking me to respond yes or no every time?

Funny thing is the few people I've know to talk like this I disagreed with on a lot of lifestyle choices so no, I often did not know what they meant.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #558 on: June 22, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »

In Canada it is "eh"- it's a bonding thing, eh?

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #559 on: June 22, 2018, 10:13:37 AM »
These type of sentence enders are similar to raising the pitch at the end, to make it sound like a question. It does make the speaker sound immature or indecisive.

One more thing: I get annoyed when people say that babies are "flirting" when they smile or make eye contact. There has to be another word for this.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #560 on: June 22, 2018, 10:33:02 AM »
These type of sentence enders are similar to raising the pitch at the end, to make it sound like a question. It does make the speaker sound immature or indecisive.

One more thing: I get annoyed when people say that babies are "flirting" when they smile or make eye contact. There has to be another word for this.

I've never heard that before. Ew.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #561 on: June 22, 2018, 11:20:28 AM »
I had to listen to the CEO and some VPs on a video conference, and what was driving me crazy was that they kept saying they were "sort of" doing things.

"We're sort of changing how we deal with our customers." Well, are you changing it, or not?

I ended up muting one guy, he said it so often.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #562 on: June 22, 2018, 11:26:50 AM »
I had to listen to the CEO and some VPs on a video conference, and what was driving me crazy was that they kept saying they were "sort of" doing things.

"We're sort of changing how we deal with our customers." Well, are you changing it, or not?

Yeah, this one bugs me too. I hear it a lot in podcast interviews. I think it might serve a softening function. For example, we're going to do X, but X sounds very harsh, so we say we're sort of Xing.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #563 on: June 22, 2018, 11:36:37 AM »

"If you don't stop talking like that I'm sort of, gonna like, punch you in the face. You know what I mean, right?"

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #564 on: June 22, 2018, 04:58:23 PM »

I have been told by multiple people when I have been travelling that Australians always sound like we are asking a question because of our inflection at the end of our sentences. Ive never noticed us saying "yeah?" but I will listen out for it today at work.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #565 on: June 22, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »

This make me think of "very kind of," as in, "The movie was good, but it was very kind of dark." Well, was it very or was it kind of? It can't be both! (I also often hear "very sort of.")

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #566 on: June 23, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »
"very unique."   A phrase heard a lot on HGTV decorator shows.  If it's actually unique meaning one of a kind, then okay, but it can't be "a little unique" or "somewhat unique" or "very unique." 

And add my name to those who dislike the phrase "sort of" that we're hearing everywhere.  Seems like it's used by those who are unsure of their facts and so use that phrase to weasel out if they find out what they said is not accurate  - "well, I said 'sort of' !"   

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #567 on: June 23, 2018, 07:00:32 PM »
There seems to be an increasing use of the word "whenever" instead of "when". 

As in, "Whenever I got back to the house, I realized I forgot my key." 

Not sure if this is a regional thing.  It is pretty distracting.   

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #568 on: June 23, 2018, 07:10:13 PM »

This is regional, also sort of low class. I used to live in Central IL and people said that a lot.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #569 on: June 24, 2018, 09:20:48 AM »

This is regional, also sort of low class. I used to live in Central IL and people said that a lot.

I hear it in the Southwest, too, so I'm not sure it's regional, but it does seem to be lower class. And I find it distracting as well.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #570 on: June 25, 2018, 07:58:16 AM »

Either of those are much more forgivable than "you know what I mean?". If you're really asking the question as in "this is a complex explanation, do you understand it" that's fine, but as a way to end a sentence it's just painful. Are you actually asking me to respond yes or no every time?

Funny thing is the few people I've know to talk like this I disagreed with on a lot of lifestyle choices so no, I often did not know what they meant.
You know how, when you're listening to someone talking, you make eye contact and nod a little bit and go "yeah, okay" every know and then, just so the person talking gets a signal that you're attending to them? This is, at least in part, that in return. Signalling from the speaker to the listener that the speaker is attending to them: Giving them a chance to take the floor, prompting them for a nod or an "okay", and just sort of running juice through the connection. Think of it as a network ping.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #571 on: June 26, 2018, 07:09:02 PM »

You know how, when you're listening to someone talking, you make eye contact and nod a little bit and go "yeah, okay" every know and then, just so the person talking gets a signal that you're attending to them? This is, at least in part, that in return. Signalling from the speaker to the listener that the speaker is attending to them: Giving them a chance to take the floor, prompting them for a nod or an "okay", and just sort of running juice through the connection. Think of it as a network ping.

I find myself saying "okay" a lot during phone calls while the other person is talking.  I'd prefer to just keep my mouth shut and let them get it all out, but every time I do that they'll stop and check that I'm still on the line as if NOT interrupting them with a bunch of "okays" is rude.

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #572 on: June 27, 2018, 05:47:06 AM »

I find myself saying "okay" a lot during phone calls while the other person is talking.  I'd prefer to just keep my mouth shut and let them get it all out, but every time I do that they'll stop and check that I'm still on the line as if NOT interrupting them with a bunch of "okays" is rude.
Well, it is.
You're supposed to be giving continuous, low content feedback for the whole conversation. Makes people feel like you're participating, even if you're not really adding any content to the conversation. Not giving that feedback is a low-level non-verbal signal that the other person should stop talking: Because they're boring you, upsetting you, confusing you, etc.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #573 on: July 25, 2018, 04:14:38 PM »
I have been reading various blogs that have pictures that can be enlarged.  When did "Click to biggify" replace "Click to enlarge"?  Biggify?  Really?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #574 on: July 25, 2018, 04:18:19 PM »
I have been reading various blogs that have pictures that can be enlarged.  When did "Click to biggify" replace "Click to enlarge"?  Biggify?  Really?

Hah. My husband is a software developer and started his career in the early 80s. He and his friends almost always say "embiggen."

I just ignore it. :D

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #575 on: July 25, 2018, 04:28:40 PM »

Hah. My husband is a software developer and started his career in the early 80s. He and his friends almost always say "embiggen."

It's a reference to Dungeons & Dragons.  :-)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #576 on: July 25, 2018, 04:29:46 PM »

Embiggen is? Funny, my husband has never played D&D. I guess he got it through osmosis!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #577 on: July 25, 2018, 04:35:05 PM »
And they get to inflict this on the rest of us why?  Keep shoptalk in the shop.  Do I go around referring to your children as your F1s?

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #578 on: July 25, 2018, 04:38:49 PM »
And they get to inflict this on the rest of us why?  Keep shoptalk in the shop.  Do I go around referring to your children as your F1s?

Ha!  I never thought of that, and I quite enjoy it.  I'm not going to actually use it, but it will make me laugh silently in my head sometimes :)  Thanks.

PS: I also say embiggen occasionally, and I didn't know it was a D&D reference, but I'm pretty sure I got it from my husband, in which case a D&D origin makes sense.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #579 on: July 25, 2018, 05:25:30 PM »

I know, right?

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #580 on: July 25, 2018, 06:37:21 PM »

Embiggen is? Funny, my husband has never played D&D. I guess he got it through osmosis!

Correction!

I asked my husband for some etymological clarity:

He says "embiggen" is a term that he and his friends group started using in D&D because the books often used over-complicated words for spells and they thought it was funny.  He says: "'embiggen' sounds better than 'enlarge.' It was a pretentious-sounding Spoonerism." 

Because I learned D&D from them, I thought it was an official term.  My mistake!

EDIT: Oh!  Even more info!  Apparently the word "embiggen" gained popularity starting in 1996, when it was featured as an invented word in the Simpsons! (Thank you, OED!)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 06:47:10 PM by marble_faun »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #581 on: July 25, 2018, 09:54:37 PM »

Correction!

I asked my husband for some etymological clarity:

He says "embiggen" is a term that he and his friends group started using in D&D because the books often used over-complicated words for spells and they thought it was funny.  He says: "'embiggen' sounds better than 'enlarge.' It was a pretentious-sounding Spoonerism." 

Because I learned D&D from them, I thought it was an official term.  My mistake!

EDIT: Oh!  Even more info!  Apparently the word "embiggen" gained popularity starting in 1996, when it was featured as an invented word in the Simpsons! (Thank you, OED!)

I immediately thought of the Simpsons, it is the only place I have ever heard embiggen. In the opening sequence, the statue of Jebediah Sprint has a quote on the bottom "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest mind".

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #582 on: July 25, 2018, 10:11:55 PM »
-bae
-webinar
-uber (specifically when used to refer to a cab, not the company...the brand name should not be synonymous with a cab, especially since lyft is better)
-emoji (seriously...what the hell happened to emoticon?)
-"circle back"
-use of the pronoun "we" to actually mean "you (sing.)"
-any bastardizations of social media names "twitterati" etc.
-selfie
-"turnt up"
-"to 11"
-"GOAT" (instead of just saying greatest of all time)
-"keeping up with the joneses/jones'"

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #583 on: July 26, 2018, 06:27:47 AM »
-bae
-webinar
-uber (specifically when used to refer to a cab, not the company...the brand name should not be synonymous with a cab, especially since lyft is better)
-emoji (seriously...what the hell happened to emoticon?)
-"circle back"
-use of the pronoun "we" to actually mean "you (sing.)"
-any bastardizations of social media names "twitterati" etc.
-selfie
-"turnt up"
-"to 11"
-"GOAT" (instead of just saying greatest of all time)
-"keeping up with the joneses/jones'"

Doesn't emoticon refer to pictures made up of text and symbols whereas emoji is the newer version which is just a picture? If you're going beyond just the word and saying emoticons are better, then I agree.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #584 on: July 26, 2018, 09:22:00 AM »
And everyone is talking about the origin of enbiggen, but where the hell did biggify come from?

I hate TLAs And FLAs.  Now that they have proliferated, I spend way too much time on the urban slang dictionary. WTH?

3Mer

• Bristles
« Reply #585 on: July 28, 2018, 09:50:08 AM »
I find the term "Hot Mess" extremely annoying.   

never give up

• Walrus Stache
  • Kindness is free to give and priceless to receive
« Reply #586 on: July 28, 2018, 10:36:51 AM »
“Can I ask you a quick question?”

Well you can yes, you just have by the way. Presumably they are phrasing it like this as to suggest they’re not going to be taking much of my time. However surely it’s the length of the answer that will determine how much of my time is taken? If they don’t know the answer to the question, which surely the don’t because they are asking it, how on earth do they know if the answer will be long or short?

“What’s the meaning of life?” That’s a good example of a quick question, it is only five words, however the answer may take a very long time indeed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 10:41:02 AM by never give up »

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
« Reply #587 on: July 28, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »
And everyone is talking about the origin of enbiggen, but where the hell did biggify come from?

I hate TLAs And FLAs.  Now that they have proliferated, I spend way too much time on the urban slang dictionary. WTH?

IKR?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #588 on: July 28, 2018, 12:02:07 PM »

IKR?

That sent me back to the online dictionary.  But, yes.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #589 on: July 28, 2018, 12:25:26 PM »
"I could care less"

NO. THINK ABOUT IT.

Also, don't put apostrophes for the plural form on acronyms. Tell me about your IRAs, not your IRA's.

Exactly... "Could care less" is an oxymoron..

"Oxymoron"... Thats not even "English"...:)

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
« Reply #590 on: July 28, 2018, 01:53:57 PM »
"loosing"

there is ONE fucking "o" in "losing"

forgot that one earlier

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #591 on: July 28, 2018, 02:50:22 PM »
"loosing"

forgot that one earlier

Well, "loosing" is fine once you remember to add the "en".

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #592 on: July 28, 2018, 03:57:03 PM »
"loosing"

forgot that one earlier

There seem to be a lot of "dinning" tables on Craigslist as well.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #593 on: July 28, 2018, 09:47:52 PM »
"loosing"

forgot that one earlier

There seem to be a lot of "dinning" tables on Craigslist as well.
Mostly at places that sell pizza's. Argh!

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #594 on: July 28, 2018, 10:57:09 PM »
Pizza’s what?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #595 on: July 29, 2018, 12:49:45 AM »
Exactly.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #596 on: July 30, 2018, 07:55:01 PM »
The two biggies for me:

1) bucket list — blech
2) “peaked” my interest instead of “piqued” my interest.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #597 on: July 30, 2018, 08:09:48 PM »
Side hustle

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #598 on: July 30, 2018, 08:40:49 PM »
Acclimate. A perfectly good word exists already: acclimatise.

Louisville

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #599 on: July 31, 2018, 08:30:35 AM »
Acclimate. A perfectly good word exists already: acclimatise.
This may be a "two peoples separated by a common language" issue. In the US, acclimate is the standard, long-standing word for, well... acclimate. Acclimatise sounds stilted to my ear, though I've heard both used.