Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611827 times)

WootWoot

• Bristles
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #450 on: February 04, 2018, 02:43:04 PM »
Oh dear. My best friend calls me her bestie (on social media). I call her my BFF.

Adorable when a 5 year old refers to a very close friend:     "my bestie"

Ridiculous when a 55 year old refers to a very close friend: "my bestie"

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #451 on: February 05, 2018, 02:44:12 PM »
Oh dear. My best friend calls me her bestie (on social media). I call her my BFF.

How old is she, @WootWoot? I'd be inclined to give her a break on this so long as she doesn't use "peeps" or "posse" when suggesting a group get together at a TGIF for happy hour. She'd have to be cited.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #452 on: February 05, 2018, 10:16:09 PM »
I kinda like "peeps." *runs away*

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #453 on: February 08, 2018, 04:09:08 PM »

How old is she, @WootWoot? I'd be inclined to give her a break on this so long as she doesn't use "peeps" or "posse" when suggesting a group get together at a TGIF for happy hour. She'd have to be cited.

Umm...we're both in our early 50s.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: February 12, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
"emergent" as a back-formation from "emergency." The word "emergent" already HAS a meaning.
"It is an emergent illness." The illness is popping up from a hole in the ground?
"The patient's condition is emergent." Oh, the patient is coming out of the closet?

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #455 on: February 13, 2018, 02:19:03 AM »
"Legitimately" used as some kind of intensifier, I think. "I legitimately cannot think of a reason why anyone would do this." Presumably it's some kind of workaround for all the hatred incurred by words like "literally"?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #456 on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:35 AM »
"Legitimately" used as some kind of intensifier, I think. "I legitimately cannot think of a reason why anyone would do this." Presumably it's some kind of workaround for all the hatred incurred by words like "literally"?

Sounds weird but I'm ok with it as long as people stop using 'literally' when they mean THE EXACT OPPOSITE OF LITERALLY.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #457 on: February 13, 2018, 07:32:50 AM »
1. At the end of the day...

2. When a male athlete is talking to a  female reporter, and says, "Man, I just..."  Dude, she is not a man.  She's right in front of you.  It's actually gotten worse.  Now the female athletes are doing it, too.

You know when people say something like. "Aw, man. That sucks" It's that kind of "Man"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 06:18:14 AM by Dabnasty »

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: February 13, 2018, 10:07:03 PM »
After watching the olympics figure skating, i could go a lifetime without hearing 'the feels' ever again.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #459 on: February 14, 2018, 10:29:04 AM »
After watching the olympics figure skating, i could go a lifetime without hearing 'the feels' ever again.

For reals.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #460 on: February 14, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »

What does that mean or refer to???

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: February 14, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »

One of the commenters kept using that phrase over and over again about how "emotional" or whatever a particular routine was.

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #462 on: February 18, 2018, 06:38:48 AM »
"Not for nothing, but..."

I've developed a strong hate for this phrase. It's a weird east coast thing. Makes no sense, and makes me cringe when I hear it.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #463 on: February 18, 2018, 10:08:34 AM »
Phrases like "haters gonna hate."

I got an email from a company selling daily planners and the subject line was "Planners gonna plan."

<barf>

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #464 on: February 18, 2018, 10:51:30 AM »

I've developed a strong hate for this phrase. It's a weird east coast thing. Makes no sense, and makes me cringe when I hear it.

Interesting. I live in the Midwest, and I have never heard this phrase. I would hate it, too!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #465 on: February 18, 2018, 01:11:28 PM »

Yeah. The first person I ever heard say this, says it ALL THE FREAKING TIME. It doesn't help that this is someone I have grown to strongly dislike.

And yeah. It makes no sense at all.

Ugh.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #466 on: February 19, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »

One of the commenters kept using that phrase over and over again about how "emotional" or whatever a particular routine was.

Is this from johnny and tara?

I stopped wTching ice skating seriously about the time tara Lipinsky was winning. She was everyones darling, a little jumping bean, but I dont care about the jumps. There wete teenage skaters who could pull off gorgeous, lyrical routines but she wasnt one if them.

ncornilsen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: February 19, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »

Is this from johnny and tara?

I stopped wTching ice skating seriously about the time tara Lipinsky was winning. She was everyones darling, a little jumping bean, but I dont care about the jumps. There wete teenage skaters who could pull off gorgeous, lyrical routines but she wasnt one if them.

Yes, that is who I'm referring to. I don't particulary follow ice skating, it just happened to be what was on for the 45 minutes I watcvh TV in a day. When I first saw tara and johnny, I thought I'd tuned into a hunger games sequel.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #468 on: February 26, 2018, 10:22:37 AM »

I grew up in NJ.  It was always an Italian thing there.  Picture Rocky saying it.  Or Tony Soprano. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #469 on: February 26, 2018, 10:25:34 AM »
"Technically", when used to describe something just being the way it is.   No loophole or anything. 

Last night I saw Jennifer Lawrence say that she doesn't "technically" have a GED or High School Diploma.  Nothing technical about it.  She dropped out at 14 and never finished. 
I think this started to bother me when a co-worker started saying it whenever he made an error. 

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #470 on: March 01, 2018, 04:56:25 AM »

I grew up in NJ.  It was always an Italian thing there.  Picture Rocky saying it.  Or Tony Soprano.

I just heard the CBS new york morning news anchor say it. kill me.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #471 on: March 01, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »

I just heard the CBS new york morning news anchor say it. kill me.

What does "not for nothing" mean? I'm not from the east coast so having trouble figuring it out, beyond just the literal meaning.

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #472 on: March 01, 2018, 06:07:47 PM »
It's kind of like saying..."no offense, but..."

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #473 on: March 02, 2018, 06:41:50 AM »
What does "not for nothing" mean? I'm not from the east coast so having trouble figuring it out, beyond just the literal meaning.

I've never heard it, either.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #474 on: March 02, 2018, 08:56:57 AM »

I've never heard it, either.

I have only ever heard it used once, and it was from an American friend who works at the White House.  She used it when describing how she dropped bad news to her parents - "Not for nothing, but, I have breast cancer..."

I think it is a lead in to brace someone against something that is bad news, or possibly offensive/insulting.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #475 on: March 03, 2018, 04:03:49 AM »
Maybe this has already been said but I'll throw it out there anyway.

I work in an office with a bunch of stiff old white guys who's world revolves around their careers and making children. Whenever one asks how the other is doing a very common response is:

"Living the Dream"

or

"No complaints but if I had any no one would listen anyway"

It's like man, think of something original at least. One time this dude I work closely with threw out the "living the dream" at me and I responded "your dream is my nightmare" and we both got a good laugh although now he doesn't talk to me as much anymore. 

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #476 on: March 03, 2018, 07:43:57 AM »

I work in an office with a bunch of stiff old white guys who's world revolves around their careers and making children. Whenever one asks how the other is doing a very common response is:

"Living the Dream"

or

It's like man, think of something original at least. One time this dude I work closely with threw out the "living the dream" at me and I responded "your dream is my nightmare" and we both got a good laugh although now he doesn't talk to me as much anymore.

You're my hero :D I hate that defeatist "everything sucks" attitude of guys that use "Living the dream".

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #477 on: March 05, 2018, 04:20:42 AM »

"Living the Dream"

or

You're my hero :D I hate that defeatist "everything sucks" attitude of guys that use "Living the dream".

If I'm your hero I must be "living the dream".

I'd also like to add "Happy wife, Happy life" to this list. Another common phrase thrown around the office. Just terrible.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #478 on: March 06, 2018, 02:32:15 PM »

???

I use "Living the dream" in a way that says Life is good.  I do know it's origin in office space, but I don't use this phrase in a sarcastic way at all.  I Love my life, I've never been happier, and I really am living the american dream.  Not defeatist at all.

I also like to say "another day in paradise".  Because I am not original at all, and I think some people prefer to hear something other than "fine thank you?  How are you?"  Which is what I would otherwise say.  Every. Day. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #479 on: March 06, 2018, 02:50:49 PM »

???

I use "Living the dream" in a way that says Life is good.  I do know it's origin in office space, but I don't use this phrase in a sarcastic way at all.  I Love my life, I've never been happier, and I really am living the american dream.  Not defeatist at all.

I also like to say "another day in paradise".  Because I am not original at all, and I think some people prefer to hear something other than "fine thank you?  How are you?"  Which is what I would otherwise say.  Every. Day.

I don't think I've ever heard either of those sayings in a non-ironic way.  They've always been said by someone who was so "blah" about their day they had nothing articulate or positive to say to describe it or they were thumbing their nose at the motivation they were supposed to be feeling.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #480 on: March 06, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »

???

Well, you are definitely in the minority with using it in a non-sarcastic way. Every time I've heard someone say "Living the dream...", they are using it exactly the way Mrbeardedbigbucks described it. You might want to be careful how you use that phrase, because I think most people are going to see it as you being negative, even if you don't mean it that way.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: March 06, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
Maybe the real problem here is people constantly asking each other how they are, even when they don't know each other and will never see each other again (grocery store cashier, etc.). Does anyone ever expect anything other than a short, positive answer? Is this a silly American thing, or does it happen elsewhere, too? The whole exchange is just a waste of time, so while I think answers like a sarcastic "living the dream" are stupid, I can understand a person's desire to say something, anything, that's different from "Fine, how are you?" Seems like we could just say hello and leave it at that, or move on to more interesting conversation.

sixup

• Stubble
« Reply #482 on: March 07, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »
"a lot to unpack..."

"There's a lot unpack there... blah blah blah"

I've heard it a lot on podcasts. Just seems like a trite, marketing-speak filler phrase.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #483 on: March 07, 2018, 03:26:25 PM »
My Bad... ! like it makes it ok.  Dont need to point out when you make a mistake we all know it just move on.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #484 on: March 07, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »
My Bad... ! like it makes it ok.  Dont need to point out when you make a mistake we all know it just move on.

Considering the number of people I've known in my life whose first words after a mistake/accident are "Not my fault!" I enjoy it when somebody owns up to them.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #485 on: March 08, 2018, 04:34:45 AM »

???

Well, you are definitely in the minority with using it in a non-sarcastic way. Every time I've heard someone say "Living the dream...", they are using it exactly the way Mrbeardedbigbucks described it. You might want to be careful how you use that phrase, because I think most people are going to see it as you being negative, even if you don't mean it that way.

I agree. Even if you are really 'living the dream' and you're very satisfied with your situation in life, when you say that phrase to someone else, usually it's interpreted as sarcastic and you're not that satisfied with the way things are going.

I suppose it could depend on the inflection in your voice and how descriptive you are,  like if you headline it with "you know what? I really am living the dream, no complaints at all" but if you just respond with a typical "living the dream man, how about you?", many people will think your life is kind of crappy right now.

I am happy for you bye the way. It's great that you are living your own dream. I think a better response would be an enthusiastic- "I'm friggin' awesome, things couldn't be better, for real"  Use that on your next response to someone asking you how you're doing and see what happens.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #486 on: March 08, 2018, 05:25:16 AM »
"Living the dream" has an even more cringe worthy offshoot: "teamwork makes the dream work" . Just no.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #487 on: March 08, 2018, 09:04:33 AM »
"Living the dream" has an even more cringe worthy offshoot: "teamwork makes the dream work" . Just no.

I’ve never heard that phrase before and if I ever do, I’ll immediately jump out the nearest window.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: March 08, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »

I’ve never heard that phrase before and if I ever do, I’ll immediately jump out the nearest window.

"There's no I in team!"

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #489 on: March 08, 2018, 12:04:06 PM »

Considering the number of people I've known in my life whose first words after a mistake/accident are "Not my fault!" I enjoy it when somebody owns up to them.
Totally agree! It seems to show somewhat more ownership than just an apology.

ETA - It's also useful when you want to own something, but not necessarily apologize.  I like the ambiguity, if that makes any sense at all. I've even used it sarcastically, when someone is overreacting to something that isn't my fault at all.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 12:06:47 PM by Dicey »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #490 on: March 08, 2018, 12:09:00 PM »

"There's no I in team!"
Was it Shaq who added, "...but there is one in win"?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #491 on: March 08, 2018, 01:10:03 PM »
Also, if you look real hard, there *is* a me in "team".

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #492 on: March 08, 2018, 02:08:30 PM »
Ooh, I like this! If I wasn't FIRE, I'd totally use this on my boss. Mustachian People Problem, I guess.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #493 on: March 08, 2018, 02:33:12 PM »

Good point!

Reminds me of something my husband loves to say in situations like that:

"It makes sense, if you don't think about it." :D

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #494 on: March 08, 2018, 02:47:28 PM »

Good point!

Reminds me of something my husband loves to say in situations like that:

"It makes sense, if you don't think about it." :D
Love it!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #495 on: March 12, 2018, 03:12:07 PM »
But there is an I in pie, and there's an I in meat pie.  Meat is an anagram for team.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #496 on: March 13, 2018, 01:20:51 AM »
But there is an I in pie, and there's an I in meat pie.  Meat is an anagram for team.

Or should that be ‘gh’ for pie?

If GH can stand for P as in ‘hiccough’,
If OUGH can stand for O as in ‘dough’,
if PHTH can stand for T as in ‘phthisis’,
if EIGH can stand for A as in ‘neighbour’,
if TTE can stand for T as in ‘gazette’,
if EAU can stand for O as in ‘plateau’,

…then the correct way to spell potato would be:

GHOUGHPHTHEIGHTTEEAU

(via Grammarly and half my uni lecturers)

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #497 on: March 13, 2018, 07:42:33 AM »
paradigm shift

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #498 on: March 13, 2018, 08:00:26 AM »
Something I see on the forum a lot: using gift/gifted as a verb instead of give/gave/given. E.g. "I was gifted a house", or "how to gift money to minors " Can someone give (gift?) me a logical reason for this? Maybe it is regional or something because I have never heard it IRL.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #499 on: March 13, 2018, 08:12:20 AM »