Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611778 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #400 on: December 19, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »
I will throw mine into the mix. I hate the current use of the word “Maker” to describe anyone and everyone who crafts or builds anything at all.  It had a slow build up for me, but just this week the scales tipped when someone described a bunch of engineering students doing their engineering student design competition type things as “Makers”.  Ugh. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Curated Pop Up Holiday Maker Market is the new pretentious way to say Juried Christmas Craft Fair.   
As an engineer, I look at this from a historical perspective. Looking back a few decades, a larger percentage of the US population worked in industries, small to large, to make things. Those people had profession names e.g carpenter, or were labelled "factory workers". A lot of that manufacturing is gone and we have a service/gig economy. So those who make are "makers" and those who spend unnecessarily are "idiots".

But yes, the term "maker" is ludicrous.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: December 19, 2017, 10:29:54 AM »
"She text me and said she wanted to meet for lunch." Instead of "texted."

I can see how this might be spoken rapidly so that the "ed" is sort of skipped over (Maybe. Even that is a stretch.), but I've even seen people write it this way!

Sounds like AAVE, which is just as legitimate as any other language/dialect and has consistent grammar rules.

Unless it was a white person saying it then...not cool.

https://www.hawaii.edu/satocenter/langnet/definitions/aave.html

The verb in AAVE is often used without any ending. As is the case with the English creoles, there are some separate words that come before the verb which show when or how something happens. These are called "tense/aspect markers".

Past tense:

Past tense may be conveyed by the surrounding discourse (with the help of adverbials such as, for example, "last night", "three years ago", "back in them days", etc., or by the use of conjunctions which convey a sequence of actions (e.g. "then"), or by the use of an ending as in standard English. The frequency with which the -ed ending occurs depends on a number of factors including the sounds which follow it.

The only times I've heard/read it, it's been said/written by a white person.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #402 on: December 19, 2017, 10:31:48 AM »
Makers gonna make you haterzzz

#disruptallthethings
#sorrynotsorry

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #403 on: December 19, 2017, 10:39:22 AM »
"She text me and said she wanted to meet for lunch." Instead of "texted."

I can see how this might be spoken rapidly so that the "ed" is sort of skipped over (Maybe. Even that is a stretch.), but I've even seen people write it this way!

Sounds like AAVE, which is just as legitimate as any other language/dialect and has consistent grammar rules.

Unless it was a white person saying it then...not cool.

https://www.hawaii.edu/satocenter/langnet/definitions/aave.html

The verb in AAVE is often used without any ending. As is the case with the English creoles, there are some separate words that come before the verb which show when or how something happens. These are called "tense/aspect markers".

Past tense:

Past tense may be conveyed by the surrounding discourse (with the help of adverbials such as, for example, "last night", "three years ago", "back in them days", etc., or by the use of conjunctions which convey a sequence of actions (e.g. "then"), or by the use of an ending as in standard English. The frequency with which the -ed ending occurs depends on a number of factors including the sounds which follow it.

The only times I've heard/read it, it's been said/written by a white person.

Most of the time, me too, though I have seen a few black friends use it.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #404 on: December 19, 2017, 06:00:01 PM »
"To be honest with you..."

"To tell you the truth..."

Were you planning on doing otherwise in this conversation?

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #405 on: December 20, 2017, 01:37:05 PM »
Anything used incorrectly:

Your/You're
Their/They're
Its/It's
and FFS stop using apostrophes when you are making a word plural!  God, its one of the thing's that make's me want to claw my eye's out. :D

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #406 on: December 20, 2017, 03:14:38 PM »

Your/You're
Their/They're
Its/It's
and FFS stop using apostrophes when you are making a word plural!  God, its one of the thing's that make's me want to claw my eye's out. :D

Especially fucking egregious during the holiday season, when one starts to receive Christmas cards from the Johnson's, the Smith's, etc... *head explodes*

SmokeySnow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #407 on: December 21, 2017, 01:42:59 AM »
don't know if it has already been mentioned, but 'deep-dive', used in the corporate world, is one of my nominations!

EricL

« Reply #408 on: December 21, 2017, 01:51:23 AM »

Your/You're
Their/They're
Its/It's

Especially fucking egregious during the holiday season, when one starts to receive Christmas cards from the Johnson's, the Smith's, etc... *head explodes*

I'm probably guilty of this a lot due to iPhone autocorrect.  And it annoys me as much as it annoys anyone if I go over something I wrote.  That said, this, though already posted, could be the medicine people on this thread need:

https://markmanson.net/not-giving-a-fuck
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:24:26 AM by EricL »

pegleglolita

• Stubble
« Reply #409 on: December 21, 2017, 04:35:47 PM »
Also, can we put a stake through the dark heart of letters addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. (Man's first and last name)".  For the love of Hera, what frilling year is this.  Caveat: if you are over the age of 75, I will forgive your sins.   

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #410 on: December 21, 2017, 04:41:13 PM »
Also, can we put a stake through the dark heart of letters addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. (Man's first and last name)".  For the love of Hera, what frilling year is this.  Caveat: if you are over the age of 75, I will forgive your sins.   

Lol yeah, my mother-in-law still does this (of course). I cringe and try to keep my eyes from rolling out of their sockets.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: December 21, 2017, 04:42:29 PM »

I remember my mom commenting on how terribly dismissive a practice this was back when I was a kid, and she is 75 today, so I would raise that age limit a bit.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #412 on: December 21, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »

I remember my mom commenting on how terribly dismissive a practice this was back when I was a kid, and she is 75 today, so I would raise that age limit a bit.

Yeah, you might be right. I remember my mom doing it when I was little, and then stopping sometime maybe in my early teens. She would be 75 today.

Also, my MIL is a Jehovah's Witness, so...

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: December 22, 2017, 01:20:05 AM »

This is profoundly annoying, but the only person I know who does it (also the only person who regularly writes me letters!) is my 90-year-old grandmother. The thing that exacerbates it is that nine times out of ten, the letter inside is to "Dear MyFirstName" and is solely written to me, perhaps with a "Give my love to HusbandsFirstName" as a P.S. If the letter is FOR me, why not just ADDRESS it to me?!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #414 on: December 22, 2017, 06:42:59 AM »

I know a couple in their 20s, maybe early 30s that just got married and their wedding invitation said "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith". It did have their full names somewhere else at least. It also had the parent's names. I thought it was pretty weird, but maybe it's the norm if you're having a religious ceremony. They are Catholic.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #415 on: December 22, 2017, 06:56:08 AM »

I know a couple in their 20s, maybe early 30s that just got married and their wedding invitation said "Mr. and Mrs. John Smith". It did have their full names somewhere else at least. It also had the parent's names. I thought it was pretty weird, but maybe it's the norm if you're having a religious ceremony. They are Catholic.
The last wedding I went to was very Catholic and churchy to the extreme, and the wedding invitation actually said "[bride first name] and [groom first name]" in that order and that's it.  I wouldn't chalk it up solely as a religious thing.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #416 on: December 22, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
I don't have strong feelings either way on the Mr. and Mrs. Dudes First + Last Name.  It is just a nonsensical societal norm . . . like a woman wearing a dress at a wedding instead of pants, or a man wearing a tux instead of a skirt.

wick

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #417 on: December 22, 2017, 07:17:24 PM »
The word "Hustle" makes me physically gag.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #418 on: December 23, 2017, 08:11:40 PM »
The word "Hustle" makes me physically gag.

As in "side hustle", taking advantage of someone through misdirection, moving quickly, other?

Or do you mean you just don't like the word in any context?

Also, I'm not a big fan of scrumptious.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #419 on: December 24, 2017, 01:44:46 AM »
*Dilly Dilly*

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #420 on: December 26, 2017, 08:18:48 AM »
HUGE
In your wheelhouse

PlainsWalker

• Stubble
« Reply #421 on: December 26, 2017, 01:05:58 PM »
I find it terribly distracting when contrapositive, inverse, and converse are used in non-standard ways. In propositional logic the statement p->q is logically equivalent to its contraposition !q->!p. The inverse (!p->!q) and converse (q->p) have a truth value that is not dependent on the truth value of the original proposition. The converse is a contraposition of the inverse so the two are logically equivalent.

In a conference call recently the speaker said p->q and then to illustrate their point said "conversely" and then stated the contrapositive !q->!p. The two propositions were meant to be logically equivalent so they meant contrapositively instead of conversely. They just lost part of their audience while I squared up what they said with what they meant.

Math nerd problems.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: January 02, 2018, 01:39:01 AM »

This is profoundly annoying, but the only person I know who does it (also the only person who regularly writes me letters!) is my 90-year-old grandmother. The thing that exacerbates it is that nine times out of ten, the letter inside is to "Dear MyFirstName" and is solely written to me, perhaps with a "Give my love to HusbandsFirstName" as a P.S. If the letter is FOR me, why not just ADDRESS it to me?!

My grandmother is 86 and this is her all over.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #423 on: January 02, 2018, 04:11:43 AM »
Lately " I'm just kidding" .  Feel like some people spew out whatever they want and if it doesn't go over right they respond with that.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: January 02, 2018, 05:33:31 AM »

Your/You're
Their/They're
Its/It's

Yes! We get a couple of those cards every year, and it makes me want to pick up the phone and yell at them.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #425 on: January 02, 2018, 07:07:47 AM »
*Dilly Dilly*
What does this mean? Dilly-dally, perhaps?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #426 on: January 02, 2018, 07:11:45 AM »
*Dilly Dilly*
What does this mean? Dilly-dally, perhaps?

Google is your friend here.

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #427 on: January 02, 2018, 07:14:03 AM »
I had to google it too.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: January 02, 2018, 08:11:34 AM »
I had to google it too.

They play the commercial during sportball games. I would never have seen it except my husband likes watching football.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #429 on: January 02, 2018, 08:55:45 AM »
I had to google it too.

They play the commercial during sportball games. I would never have seen it except my husband likes watching football.
Thank you for your helpful responses. If it's in reference to a television commercial, that explains why I have no idea what it is. I think I'll keep it that way.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: January 06, 2018, 12:53:42 PM »
Watched a tv series recently and the main character kept saying "JK".
He meant it as a short form of "Just kidding."

I didn't think I could hate the expression 'just kidding' anymore than I already did.  I was wrong.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #431 on: January 07, 2018, 06:43:37 AM »
Were gonna "make it our own"  in remodeling shows. Or " we need to have a space because we entertain alot"   Ever notice everyone on those shows entertains alot? I love those shows but they are really unrealistic in so many ways especially what they get some of those projects done for.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #432 on: January 08, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »
Were gonna "make it our own"  in remodeling shows. Or " we need to have a space because we entertain alot"   Ever notice everyone on those shows entertains alot? I love those shows but they are really unrealistic in so many ways especially what they get some of those projects done for.
My favorite was watching one of those shows (years ago, no idea which one) and they kept saying things like "This would be a great place to sit and drink lemonade."  Always lemonade.  Are they not allowed to talk about alcohol?  Or do all these people really like lemonade that much?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #433 on: January 08, 2018, 01:07:05 PM »
My favorite was watching one of those shows (years ago, no idea which one) and they kept saying things like "This would be a great place to sit and drink lemonade."  Always lemonade.  Are they not allowed to talk about alcohol?  Or do all these people really like lemonade that much?

"I need a north-facing bedroom so the morning sun doesn't interfere with my hangovers" doesn't translate well on Home & Garden Television.

I'm tired of hearing about people's housing "non-negotiables" and "must-haves."  Either the producers force them to come up with a few or none of them have any idea that you can't house-hunt off of a menu. Compromise and negotiation is part of the process.  Especially when you're operating within a tight budget.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #434 on: January 08, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »

"I need a north-facing bedroom so the morning sun doesn't interfere with my hangovers" doesn't translate well on Home & Garden Television.

I'm tired of hearing about people's housing "non-negotiables" and "must-haves."  Either the producers force them to come up with a few or none of them have any idea that you can't house-hunt off of a menu. Compromise and negotiation is part of the process.  Especially when you're operating within a tight budget.
I love when they talk about the couple being on a "tight budget" and then $700,000 flashes across the screen...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #435 on: January 08, 2018, 02:30:01 PM »

I love when they talk about the couple being on a "tight budget" and then $700,000 flashes across the screen...

One of them "must have" all granite countertops while the other "must have" their "following their dreams" workspace plus room for their big screen TV, three vehicles, and they're DINKs with a combined $60k/year in a neighborhood where $250k is the starting price for that much square footage.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #436 on: January 10, 2018, 01:42:47 PM »

One of them "must have" all granite countertops while the other "must have" their "following their dreams" workspace plus room for their big screen TV, three vehicles, and they're DINKs with a combined $60k/year in a neighborhood where $250k is the starting price for that much square footage.

haha....And ten acres fenced in for our dogs to run.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: January 20, 2018, 02:03:33 PM »
Heard "emerg" for emergency room.  From a TV journalist reporting on a celebrity who overdosed and he had to go to  the emerg.
Dumbing down communication to make texting faster is one thing, but when professionals start talking like this?  Ugh.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #438 on: January 20, 2018, 11:29:29 PM »
Heard "emerg" for emergency room.  From a TV journalist presenter reporting on a celebrity who overdosed and he had to go to  the emerg.
Dumbing down communication to make texting faster is one thing, but when professionals start talking like this?  Ugh.

FTFY

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #439 on: February 01, 2018, 11:50:37 AM »
Here's one. My brother frequently says "at this point in time". Every damn time, my wacko brain says, "What about this point in space?" Then my brain links "What about time?" and "What about space?" and the next thing you know the theme song from an obscure one-season TV show called "It's About Time" starts playing in my head.

"It's about time
It's about space
About two men in the strangest place"

The funny thing about that is that we all used to sing it as:

"It's about time
It's about space
It's about time to slap your face"

Maybe my brain is smarter (and funnier) than I give it credit for.

Here's a link for you, but don't say I didn't warn you. It's pure drivel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1G-TsdNWGg

My husband sings that ditty every now and then. He says that show was really awful! LOL

Here are the words I could live without:

adulting

Netflix and chill (Like, how did this become a euphemism for sex? How?!)

Jouer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #440 on: February 01, 2018, 01:10:23 PM »
Yea I hate when people say adulting as well. Sounds so juvenile.

But Netlix and Chill. *snickers* So much fun.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #441 on: February 01, 2018, 04:00:05 PM »
Netflix and chill (Like, how did this become a euphemism for sex? How?!)

Teenagers.

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #442 on: February 02, 2018, 03:42:33 PM »
- "Woke"
- When attention hungry people on social media say, "I did a thing"
- "Snowflake"
- "AF"
- "Savage"
- "Fire"
- "Unpack" when analyzing something complex

And basically everything someone under 23 says on a daily basis (generalizing of course), but you catch my drift

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #443 on: February 02, 2018, 04:10:35 PM »
In your WHEELHOUSE

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #444 on: February 02, 2018, 05:46:09 PM »
Probably already said but with everyone's help we can end "totes" and "Cray cray"

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #445 on: February 02, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »
Moist

Eckspecially (how my coworker pronounces especially)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #446 on: February 02, 2018, 08:18:33 PM »
"Sad Panda"

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #447 on: February 02, 2018, 09:51:07 PM »
- "Woke"
- When attention hungry people on social media say, "I did a thing"
- "Snowflake"
- "AF"
- "Savage"
- "Fire"
- "Unpack" when analyzing something complex
(emphasis mine) Um, you *do* realize what sort of forum you're visiting here, right? :P

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #448 on: February 03, 2018, 10:51:39 AM »
Adorable when a 5 year old refers to a very close friend:     "my bestie"

Ridiculous when a 55 year old refers to a very close friend: "my bestie"

a-scho

• Stubble
« Reply #449 on: February 03, 2018, 11:06:18 PM »
probably mentioned earlier, but:

woke
sammie(i like it as a name, not as "sandwich")
anyhoo
bruh
prolly

i did not know "netflix and chill" really meant "sex". reminds me how, starting in my twenties, I had no clue that "wanna come in for a drink?" really meant "sex". Everytime, I was honestly surprised when they would lunge at me once I was in their apartment. I'm now in my forties and just figured out, like, last year, :)  what they were really offering.  Guess I took things way too literally. Apparently, I still do. :/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!