Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611790 times)

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #350 on: November 20, 2017, 10:55:29 AM »
I hate it when someone posts "RIP" with regard to someone's death, particularly if it was someone they knew. I find it somewhat disrespectful to not spell it out, as it doesn't take that long to type "Rest in Peace".

Yes! And the same for HBD (Happy Birthday). If you can't be bothered to type or write 2-3 words, you probably don't care very much. (And HBD doesn't even make sense. Shouldn't it be just HB?)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #351 on: November 20, 2017, 11:35:23 AM »
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already. I've read the whole thread, but I don't remember!

The very last time I ever met with my financial advisor, before quietly firing him and moving my funds to Vanguard, thanks to this forum, I counted the number of times he said "at the end of the day" while yammering on and on at me for half an hour about random market/investment junk. It was the only way I could stay focused and appear to be politely listening. He used that phrase 30-something times.

That said, even before that experience, I've always hated "at the end of the day," unless you're literally talking about something that will occur at the end of the day.
The only exception is if you happen to be cast in "Les Miserables". Full props to you if you have that kind of vocal ability.

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #352 on: November 20, 2017, 11:42:52 AM »
Kiddo(s) - especially in the setting of a job interview.  kiddos this - or kiddos that - or my kiddos - kiddos, kiddos, kiddos.  Ugh.  Stop already! 

You lose some professional points on my non-scientific interview scale and I actually tally the number of times the candidate uses "kiddo(s)" during an interview.

"Peeps" was another of my fingernails-on-a-chalkboard words but it appears to be dying a natural death. 

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #353 on: November 20, 2017, 01:03:23 PM »
Kiddo(s) - especially in the setting of a job interview.  kiddos this - or kiddos that - or my kiddos - kiddos, kiddos, kiddos.  Ugh.  Stop already! 

You lose some professional points on my non-scientific interview scale and I actually tally the number of times the candidate uses "kiddo(s)" during an interview.

"Peeps" was another of my fingernails-on-a-chalkboard words but it appears to be dying a natural death.

I think I might have brought up "peeps" in an earlier post on this thread. I'd love to see that one disappear altogether. The only time it should be used is in reference to that horrible, yet tastelessly funny, Easter treat.

+1 on "kiddos". Can we add "littles" to the list? Why do people need to use that one when referring to younger children?

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #354 on: November 20, 2017, 08:01:41 PM »
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already. I've read the whole thread, but I don't remember!

The very last time I ever met with my financial advisor, before quietly firing him and moving my funds to Vanguard, thanks to this forum, I counted the number of times he said "at the end of the day" while yammering on and on at me for half an hour about random market/investment junk. It was the only way I could stay focused and appear to be politely listening. He used that phrase 30-something times.

That said, even before that experience, I've always hated "at the end of the day," unless you're literally talking about something that will occur at the end of the day.
The only exception is if you happen to be cast in "Les Miserables". Full props to you if you have that kind of vocal ability.

Hahahaha! Yes (to both of you)!

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: November 20, 2017, 08:32:30 PM »

... how would that come up in a job interview?

"Yes, I have a Working With Children check which means I'm cleared to work with kiddos."
"I'm married but don't have any kiddos."
"I was let go from my previous role for persistent use of the word kiddos."

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #356 on: November 21, 2017, 08:20:14 AM »

"Yes, I have a Working With Children check which means I'm cleared to work with kiddos."

I work in district administration for public school.  In our interview questions, there may be scenarios or "Tell us a time when . . . " questions which typically involves children in the responses.  Candidates will replace "children" or "students" with "kiddos" throughout their entire interview. 

And a resounding "YES!" @calimom on including "littles" along with "kiddos" on the list.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #357 on: November 22, 2017, 06:14:05 AM »

I work in district administration for public school.  In our interview questions, there may be scenarios or "Tell us a time when . . . " questions which typically involves children in the responses.  Candidates will replace "children" or "students" with "kiddos" throughout their entire interview. 

And a resounding "YES!" @calimom on including "littles" along with "kiddos" on the list.
DW and I actually use "littles" when referring to our younger children (we have 6), but only to distinguish them as a group from the older kids, and not as an attempt to be cute. E.g. "I'll take the littles with me and leave the others at home."  It's a useful term, although it *does* only save a single syllable over "younger kids."

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #358 on: November 30, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
Just thought of one that bugs my DH too:

"go-to"

As in, "Bob is my go-to guy when I have computer problems."

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #359 on: November 30, 2017, 12:50:12 PM »
I have a particular dislike of simple words or phrases from other languages that have been intentionally or unintentionally mangled.

Two examples:

"No problemo."

"Boocoo (beaucoup) bucks."

Ugh.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #360 on: November 30, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »
I have a particular dislike of simple words or phrases from other languages that have been intentionally or unintentionally mangled.

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

If you ever visit Montreal you will be chatting with a lot of people who switch languages in the middle of a sentence.  Not to mention the Anglos who have anglicized a bunch of French words.  I didn't know what a 7-11 (corner store) was until University out-of-province, it was the depanneur ("I'm going to the dep, anyone want to come?").  We make bilingual jokes too - in Montreal people take the BMW to work - that is BusMetroWalk.

And at least bocoo bucks says beaucoup right, I hate walla for voila.  There is a v in voila.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #361 on: November 30, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

If you ever visit Montreal you will be chatting with a lot of people who switch languages in the middle of a sentence.  Not to mention the Anglos who have anglicized a bunch of French words.  I didn't know what a 7-11 (corner store) was until University out-of-province, it was the depanneur ("I'm going to the dep, anyone want to come?").  We make bilingual jokes too - in Montreal people take the BMW to work - that is BusMetroWalk.

And at least bocoo bucks says beaucoup right, I hate walla for voila.  There is a v in voila.

Yeah, I know. I'm a former French professor. I'm well acquainted with Montreal.

My problem is with using the words completely incorrectly.

The word "problemo" doesn't exist in Spanish. For example.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #362 on: November 30, 2017, 05:25:40 PM »

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

Using them incorrectly would annoy me too.  I looked more at the beaucoup because I do know (well, used to know, I am an example of don't use it, you lose it) French, but no Spanish.  Plus "mangled" is not quite the same as "used incorrectly". 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #363 on: November 30, 2017, 05:48:54 PM »

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

Using them incorrectly would annoy me too.  I looked more at the beaucoup because I do know (well, used to know, I am an example of don't use it, you lose it) French, but no Spanish.  Plus "mangled" is not quite the same as "used incorrectly".

"Mangled" refers to the fact that "problemo" is a mangled version of "problema."

And that "boocoo bucks" is a mangled form of, at minimum, Beau-coo d'argent. "Beaucoo bux," even if you were pronouncing beaucoup correctly, is basically saying "many money."

And then there's the hospital where I was born. Buena Vista Hospital, in Buena Vista county, Iowa. Pronounced "BYOO-nuh vista."

I was probably irritated by this even at birth.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #364 on: December 01, 2017, 02:18:15 AM »
I think "voila" should be banned because so many people mangle it. Walla and viola. ARGH.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #365 on: December 01, 2017, 05:01:19 AM »
Shit ton. That one grates on me for some reason.

I’m also not a fan of the DH, DW, DD, DS shortenings for husband, wife, daughter, and son. I think it’s because when I read it, in my head, I’m still hearing “dear (however you are related to me)” and pretty much nobody ever says that out loud or writes that in full.

Mrbeardedbigbucks

• Stubble
« Reply #366 on: December 01, 2017, 05:19:02 AM »
"Living the dream"
and
"Happy wife, happy life"

I constantly hear these phrases around the office from a bunch of uptight conservative white guys.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #367 on: December 01, 2017, 08:07:59 AM »
Shit ton. That one grates on me for some reason.

I’m also not a fan of the DH, DW, DD, DS shortenings for husband, wife, daughter, and son. I think it’s because when I read it, in my head, I’m still hearing “dear (however you are related to me)” and pretty much nobody ever says that out loud or writes that in full.

Especially since so many people (Mumsnetters, I'm looking at you!) use it while complaining about what a total waster their DH is. I know the D can allegedly stand for different things, but that's just a retrospective justification.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #368 on: December 01, 2017, 10:59:20 AM »

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

Say La Vee.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #369 on: December 01, 2017, 11:20:59 AM »

Two examples:

"No problemo."

Ugh.

Say La Vee.

The whole English language is basically words or phrases from other languages that have been intentionally or unintentionally mangled.   

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #370 on: December 01, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
Experts
Subject Matter Experts (SME)
<topic> Guru, e.g. Cloud Guru
VP of <bullshit department>
Associate VP (you're just a glorified bank teller)
Senior VP (you're just the damn branch manager)

tastes like piss. (as if speaker has tasted it)
like so... like like.. stfu and say what you mean in a concise statement

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #371 on: December 01, 2017, 02:07:01 PM »
tastes like piss. (as if speaker has tasted it)

Is the speaker a parent of a male child?  Let's just say that sometimes late night diaper changes go horribly wrong. . .

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #372 on: December 01, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »
And to add to the piss foam, basswood is sometimes called piss wood because when it burns it can smell like someone peed on the fire.  Dandelion is also called pis-en-lit en Français because it can have a diuretic effect. Et voila*, beaucoup des mots intéressants. Or as my students used to say, pas de problčme.

*Voila - from voir - look at and la the thing to look at.  In other words, look at that.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #373 on: December 02, 2017, 10:06:13 AM »
These got me at first, but I'm used to it now, mostly thanks to time spent on this forum. In my head, the  "D" is shorthand for "person for whom I have great affection, even if they occasionally annoy the shit out of me." That's a lot of punch for two little letters. Given that this is an anonymous forum, we need a way to readily identify the other characters in the stories of our lives. The letters you listed convey meaning quite effectively. Also, DSD and DSS, because a lot of us have blended families.

There are plenty of words that one uses more in written communication than in casual conversation. There's an idea for a new thread...

And now, one of my one peeves, courtesy of "Hamilton". Rise up. Is there any other direction to rise?

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #374 on: December 02, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
These got me at first, but I'm used to it now, mostly thanks to time spent on this forum. In my head, the  "D" is shorthand for "person for whom I have great affection, even if they occasionally annoy the shit out of me." That's a lot of punch for two little letters. Given that this is an anonymous forum, we need a way to readily identify the other characters in the stories of our lives. The letters you listed convey meaning quite effectively. Also, DSD and DSS, because a lot of us have blended families.

There are plenty of words that one uses more in written communication than in casual conversation. There's an idea for a new thread...

And now, one of my one peeves, courtesy of "Hamilton". Rise up. Is there any other direction to rise?

I figured out what they mean pretty quickly. I don't like the cutesy pie nature of it. I know it's not going away. I am taking a stand and typing out wife every time I need to reference my wife in a post :)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #375 on: December 02, 2017, 11:11:33 AM »

I figured out what they mean pretty quickly. I don't like the cutesy pie nature of it. I know it's not going away. I am taking a stand and typing out wife every time I need to reference my wife in a post :)
Hmm, that's interesting, because while it probably originally had the cutesy connotation, those abbreviations have long since (at least to me) shed that feeling, and are now simply a shorthand way of saying "my wife", etc.

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #376 on: December 03, 2017, 12:33:41 AM »
"butt-hurt."

In fact any use of the word "butt" by adults is questionable to me. The word sounds childish and awkward. Not polite, but not satisfyingly vulgar either.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #377 on: December 05, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
The term "rape" when it does not apply to sexual assault.

Example: Joe really got raped on the price of that house he bought.

UGH

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #378 on: December 05, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »
"butt-hurt."

In fact any use of the word "butt" by adults is questionable to me. The word sounds childish and awkward. Not polite, but not satisfyingly vulgar either.
do you prefer "ass pain"?

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #379 on: December 05, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »

UGH

Yeah.  That one's a no-no around here.  We put it in the Forum Rules.

Toque.

WootWoot

• Bristles
« Reply #380 on: December 05, 2017, 03:30:27 PM »
And rightly so!!

UGH

Yeah.  That one's a no-no around here.  We put it in the Forum Rules.

Toque.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #381 on: December 06, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »

UGH
I wish I knew how to do away with this one. It's absurdly overused in the business world, at least in my experience but it's so ingrained I don't think you could even explain why it's a problem to some people. Whenever I hear it I feel sick thinking that someone who's been effected by sexual assault might overhear.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #382 on: December 06, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »
These got me at first, but I'm used to it now, mostly thanks to time spent on this forum. In my head, the  "D" is shorthand for "person for whom I have great affection, even if they occasionally annoy the shit out of me." That's a lot of punch for two little letters.

Hmm, that's interesting, because while it probably originally had the cutesy connotation, those abbreviations have long since (at least to me) shed that feeling, and are now simply a shorthand way of saying "my wife", etc.

Personally, I am quite attached to the "DH" label, because it conveys the precise meaning Dicey provides.  I love the ambiguity (i.e., am I saying it straight, or with an implied irony font?).  It is pretty rare to find two little letters that can convey so varied a meaning depending on the context.

Besides, typing out "husband" all the time is 75% more inefficient than typing "wife," and 250% more inefficient than "DH."  And this board is all about efficiency.  ;-)

Spiritual_Lobotomy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #383 on: December 06, 2017, 09:44:44 AM »
the absurd use of the word "like"  (ex.  "Oh yeah, I haven't been there for like 5 years") And I'm Like totally serious....

and the present participle or past tense overuse of the word "fuck"  (ex.  "Can We All Stop This Fucking Complaining About our Government?") to quote MMM

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: December 11, 2017, 04:47:26 PM »
Totally agree with "laser focused" as mentioned half a page above.  I just finished reading a couple post mortems laced with "laser focused" and I wanted to reach into the screen and slap the people that wrote them.

I'm also going to add "team".  I'm so tired if getting e-mails that start off with "Team, " that one of these days I'm going to stand up and scream right in the middle of cubeland at work...  I can't even stand it when the news reports on "sports teams" anymore because of how abused and overused "team" has become!

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #385 on: December 12, 2017, 06:24:26 AM »
I'm going to nominate "fun," when used to describe a component of interior design.  A/k/a "these tiles with the giant neon-blue-and-orange geometric pattern are so fun!" 

Just say what you mean:  "These tiles are bat-shit crazy loud.  But your all-white kitchen is boring and sterile and needs some personality.  Unfortunately, you don't have any, so let's see if we can fool people into thinking you do by installing something completely insane."

Also, "a pop of color."  Ugh. 

Yes, I am far too fond of home shows. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #386 on: December 12, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »
I'm going to nominate "fun," when used to describe a component of interior design.  A/k/a "these tiles with the giant neon-blue-and-orange geometric pattern are so fun!" 

Just say what you mean:  "These tiles are bat-shit crazy loud.  But your all-white kitchen is boring and sterile and needs some personality.  Unfortunately, you don't have any, so let's see if we can fool people into thinking you do by installing something completely insane."

I used to watch more of those, but they tend to focus more on the finishes and decoration, rather than the structure and quality, so I quickly get bored.  Not to mention the outrageously overpriced (and ugly!) decor they choose.  Seriously, it seems like attractiveness is negatively correlated with price.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #387 on: December 12, 2017, 05:48:36 PM »

I used to watch more of those, but they tend to focus more on the finishes and decoration, rather than the structure and quality, so I quickly get bored.  Not to mention the outrageously overpriced (and ugly!) decor they choose.  Seriously, it seems like attractiveness is negatively correlated with price.
I hate "a pop of color", "put our stamp on it", with "high-end finishes", because the old, perfectly suitable stuff is "not our style". Ugh, gag. I also hate all decor that exists just because it "stands out" because "buyers are gonna love it". And don't get me started on mid-century modern. Nonetheless, we watch that stuff way too much.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #388 on: December 12, 2017, 09:10:29 PM »

I don't blame you, you obviously really enjoy them. :P

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: December 13, 2017, 10:34:54 AM »
9 pages of annoying phrases, is the world getting more annoying, or are we just easily annoyed?

I will throw mine into the mix. I hate the current use of the word “Maker” to describe anyone and everyone who crafts or builds anything at all.  It had a slow build up for me, but just this week the scales tipped when someone described a bunch of engineering students doing their engineering student design competition type things as “Makers”.  Ugh. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Curated Pop Up Holiday Maker Market is the new pretentious way to say Juried Christmas Craft Fair.   

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:33:38 PM by FIRE Artist »

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: December 13, 2017, 11:21:11 AM »
That reminds me, one magazine in particular that I read always says "made this photograph" rather than "took this photograph." I guess they're trying to emphasize the fact that there's more work/talent involved in photography than just pushing a button, and I totally get that, but it sounds awfully pretentious to me. Is anyone else seeing this?

Also, I thought of the conversation above regarding the word "retarded" when I listened to a podcast in which a person of (I think) Indian descent referred to herself and other non-whites repeatedly as a "person of color." But "colored people" is definitely not okay to say. That's fine, I'm happy to use whatever term people feel comfortable with and do my best to avoid those that are offensive, but the English language is so weird. Does this sort of thing happen in other languages?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #391 on: December 13, 2017, 12:42:38 PM »
That reminds me, one magazine in particular that I read always says "made this photograph" rather than "took this photograph." I guess they're trying to emphasize the fact that there's more work/talent involved in photography than just pushing a button, and I totally get that, but it sounds awfully pretentious to me. Is anyone else seeing this?
I've never heard such a thing, and my GF is a pro photographer.  It does sound pretentious as hell.  Photographers and "photographers" can be an interesting breed.

kamille

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Neonatal ICU RN
« Reply #392 on: December 17, 2017, 12:57:38 AM »
Diversity
Vulnerable
Entitlement
Fetus
Transgender
Evidence-based
Science-based

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #393 on: December 17, 2017, 11:39:26 AM »
Diversity
Vulnerable
Entitlement
Fetus
Transgender
Evidence-based
Science-based
I had no idea The Donald hung out around here!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #394 on: December 17, 2017, 12:22:57 PM »
My first reaction was being surprised that "global warming" and "climate change" didn't make the list.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #395 on: December 17, 2017, 01:07:37 PM »
My first reaction was being surprised that "global warming" and "climate change" didn't make the list.

That’s because it’s the CDC.

“Climate change” was banned last March.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/03/energy-department-climate-change-phrases-banned-236655

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #396 on: December 18, 2017, 09:22:16 AM »
I'm still in favor of "fetus" being replaced with "post-embryonic cell mass" instead of "unborn child" like they probably are fishing for.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #397 on: December 19, 2017, 04:47:13 AM »
"I've got it figure out now"- Teenage phrase meaning they screwed up and going forward things will be better but they don't.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #398 on: December 19, 2017, 08:24:04 AM »
"She text me and said she wanted to meet for lunch." Instead of "texted."

I can see how this might be spoken rapidly so that the "ed" is sort of skipped over (Maybe. Even that is a stretch.), but I've even seen people write it this way!

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #399 on: December 19, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
"She text me and said she wanted to meet for lunch." Instead of "texted."

I can see how this might be spoken rapidly so that the "ed" is sort of skipped over (Maybe. Even that is a stretch.), but I've even seen people write it this way!

Sounds like AAVE, which is just as legitimate as any other language/dialect and has consistent grammar rules.

Unless it was a white person saying it then...not cool.

https://www.hawaii.edu/satocenter/langnet/definitions/aave.html

The verb in AAVE is often used without any ending. As is the case with the English creoles, there are some separate words that come before the verb which show when or how something happens. These are called "tense/aspect markers".

Past tense:

Past tense may be conveyed by the surrounding discourse (with the help of adverbials such as, for example, "last night", "three years ago", "back in them days", etc., or by the use of conjunctions which convey a sequence of actions (e.g. "then"), or by the use of an ending as in standard English. The frequency with which the -ed ending occurs depends on a number of factors including the sounds which follow it.