Author Topic: Words/phrases I wish would go away  (Read 611773 times)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: Words/phrases I wish would go away
« Reply #100 on: August 19, 2017, 08:08:07 AM »
This was a fun read.  You all do know that there is a Grammar Nazi thread that has already aired these and more?
People need to be reminded we're here, watching, judging.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2017, 08:13:28 AM »
This was a fun read.  You all do know that there is a Grammar Nazi thread that has already aired these and more?

When I taught College and University, I was amazed at the range of writing skills.  Some students were great.  Some needed 4 re-writes to get to the point that their work was comprehensible.  Not good, mind you, just starting to be clear.

I blame spell check for the your/you're, there/their, to/two/too issues.  People get complacent and don't proof-read.

We even have "Weird forum choices" spelled as Weird fourm choices" in Off Topic.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:15:58 AM by RetiredAt63 »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2017, 08:26:09 AM »
ok, that made me laugh!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2017, 10:23:46 AM »
ok, that made me laugh!

So did this:

We even have "Weird forum choices" spelled as Weird fourm choices" in Off Topic.

Oh, my kingdom for a better MMM Forum search engine! There are so many new threads started when a perfectly useful one is currently in existence, but not easily located.

squirrel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2017, 10:12:54 AM »
This thread is great!

I'd like to add "needs <done>" where people miss out the "to be" part, e.g. a car needs moved / this needs done by Friday / the room needs cleaned.

Also, management-speak in my workplace, where you can tell who is in the top inner circle by their excessive use of the phrase "the reality is..." right before giving an excuse for why things aren't better.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2017, 10:22:27 AM »
I'd like to add "needs <done>" where people miss out the "to be" part, e.g. a car needs moved / this needs done by Friday / the room needs cleaned.

On a related note, I'll add "because <reason>" where people leave out the "of." For example, "I need to move my car because hailstorm." Or, "Our kitchen is in a shambles because remodeling."

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2017, 05:54:40 PM »

On a related note, I'll add "because <reason>" where people leave out the "of." For example, "I need to move my car because hailstorm." Or, "Our kitchen is in a shambles because remodeling."

The first example might be a regional thing. West Virginia/Pennsylvania and perhaps other places. I agree, it sounds odd.

Second example is because hipster-speak. Or because irony.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2017, 07:46:41 AM »

The first example might be a regional thing. West Virginia/Pennsylvania and perhaps other places. I agree, it sounds odd.

Yes, I suspect the "needs washed" etc. construction might be regional.  My husband used this and didn't realize it was incorrect until he was an adult in graduate school...years later, he still sometimes pauses and self-checks his grammar to see that he's constructing the sentence correctly.   I'm not sure if he picked it up from family or from the Pacific NW region where he grew up.  However, the only other person I've heard regularly using it (a podcaster) was also from the PNW, so...

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2017, 10:30:55 AM »

Yes, I suspect the "needs washed" etc. construction might be regional.  My husband used this and didn't realize it was incorrect until he was an adult in graduate school...years later, he still sometimes pauses and self-checks his grammar to see that he's constructing the sentence correctly.   I'm not sure if he picked it up from family or from the Pacific NW region where he grew up.  However, the only other person I've heard regularly using it (a podcaster) was also from the PNW, so...

The first example is definitely a Pennsylvania thing, and it may have come from Pennsylvania Dutch.  The second one I've never heard of. 

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2017, 10:59:07 AM »
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/needs-washed

Ok, that makes sense.  DH grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch country, but his Mom is from a small town near Pittsburgh.  Pittsburghese is very unique. 

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »

Ok, that makes sense.  DH grew up in Pennsylvania Dutch country, but his Mom is from a small town near Pittsburgh.  Pittsburghese is very unique.

Sorry to use you as an example, but this one bugs the hell out of me. Unique means one of a kind.  You can't have degrees of uniqueness. 

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2017, 11:22:11 AM »

Sorry to use you as an example, but this one bugs the hell out of me. Unique means one of a kind.  You can't have degrees of uniqueness.

Wow, you have to be a hardcore grammar Nazi for that one to bother you.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
As opposed to a soft grammar Nazi? Gah! Weren't you listening?

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »

Or a fan of the West Wing. Thanks, Bartlet.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »
Preventative. Please, just say preventive. Same with orientated; just say oriented.

I have never heard the word "preventive" in my life. I did not know that an alternative to "preventative" existed.

Contrarily, I only started hearing "orientated" a few years ago. It's like nails on a chalkboard. I will remain "oriented" for life, bro-dawgs.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: August 22, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
"Trial" as a verb. Ugh. Heard it again at a work meeting today. "We are trialing a new product " Why can't we just try it? Or conduct a trial of the product?

I grew up in the Midwest hearing "needs washed" and similar. I knew it was not correct usage, but thought of it as a harmless abbreviation that people use in speech but not writing.

While we are on odd regionalisms I have noticed that people in the north use the word "yet" very strangely. I am used to the "are we there yet" sort of usage to imply something that has not already happened. People here sometimes use in place of "still" to talk about something that is happening already. For example "do you live in Iowa yet?" meaning "do you still live in Iowa?". I find this confusing.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2017, 04:03:22 PM »
"Trial" as a verb. Ugh. Heard it again at a work meeting today. "We are trialing a new product " Why can't we just try it? Or conduct a trial of the product?

I grew up in the Midwest hearing "needs washed" and similar. I knew it was not correct usage, but thought of it as a harmless abbreviation that people use in speech but not writing.

While we are on odd regionalisms I have noticed that people in the north use the word "yet" very strangely. I am used to the "are we there yet" sort of usage to imply something that has not already happened. People here sometimes use in place of "still" to talk about something that is happening already. For example "do you live in Iowa yet?" meaning "do you still live in Iowa?". I find this confusing.

Wasn't "yet" used like that a few centuries ago?  The dictionary still has that meaning.  It does sound odd though.  All the old uses I've seen put the "yet" before the verb like "Dost thou yet live in Iowa?"

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2017, 06:36:19 PM »

Or a fan of the West Wing. Thanks, Bartlet.

I remember that episode now that you mention it, but no, my grammar issues stem from being taught proper grammar at age 28 then putting it to use in grad school where most of my classmates couldn't write to save their lives.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #119 on: August 22, 2017, 07:13:14 PM »

There are lots of us in the wild, we are not unique, we are legion.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2017, 07:50:53 PM »

No, it bothers me, too.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2017, 06:13:45 AM »

No, it bothers me, too.

Then you've chosen your side.

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2017, 10:50:29 AM »

Commas instead of periods/semicolons, irony?  I can't tell.

There are degrees of unique.  You can have a unique shade of green, or you can just have a unique color altogether.  A unique color is more unique than a new different shade of green.   If you have a bunch of 4's in a row, a 5 is unique.  An tilde is much more unique. 

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:53:47 AM by dougules »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »

There are degrees of unique.  You can have a unique shade of green, or you can just have a unique color altogether.  A unique color is more unique than a new different shade of green.   If you have a bunch of 4's in a row, a 5 is unique.  An tilde is much more unique.

Those aren't degrees. Those are absolutes in their own right.  You can have a unique shade of green (grammatically, though a shade amongst thousands I wouldn't consider special), but that shade can't be more unique than something else, nor can it be very unique. Something is one of a kind or it isn't. If it isn't, then you need to pick another adjective.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »

Those aren't degrees. Those are absolutes in their own right.  You can have a unique shade of green (grammatically, though a shade amongst thousands I wouldn't consider special), but that shade can't be more unique than something else, nor can it be very unique. Something is one of a kind or it isn't. If it isn't, then you need to pick another adjective.

Agreed.

Unique is a binary word.  It either is or isn't;  on or off;  black or white;  yes or no.  Any word that is binary or absolute should never have an adjective describing how much or to what degree.

In the world of chaos, though, every person has a different truth.  If I were to show a picture of a table, some might think it is only a 7 on a scale of one to 10 on it's "table-ness".  Some might think it is more a 10.  If it were an end-table, the viewpoints would probably change.  A dining room table might be considered more of a table than a cocktail table.  So, are the different degrees of how unique something may be? 

In some ways I think it may be argued otherwise. 

I would say the word "Unique" is about a 9 on a scale of one to ten as far as being a binary word.  Therefore, I would probably argue it is close enough and does not need additional help from the word "very".

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: August 24, 2017, 06:02:00 AM »
I would say the word "Unique" is about a 9 on a scale of one to ten as far as being a binary word.  Therefore, I would probably argue it is close enough and does not need additional help from the word "very".

I find it fascinating that you don't seem to have any difficulty in ascribing a scale of 1-10 for degrees of "binary-ness", yet you seem rather certain that there cannot be varying degrees of uniqueness. It would appear that you consider the word "binary" to be non-binary. If you don't hear from me again, my head probably exploded from the irony.

Bonus thought: Why aren't irony and steely synonyms?

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: August 24, 2017, 06:17:45 AM »
"Prolly" has to go.  I agree with that.

"Seriously?" should come to an end, as well.  It's the current generation's "Totally, totally ..."

Toque.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: August 24, 2017, 07:28:13 AM »
Calling toques "beanies" has to go as well.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »

"Seriously?" should come to an end, as well.  It's the current generation's "Totally, totally ..."

Toque.

My 8 year old nephew shouts "Seriously!?" to anything that surprises him or requires an emotional response.  He also just spams whatever he knows will annoy the adults in the room.  The last time I saw him everything was "Epic!" He also has no sense of volume control which in all honesty casts a shadow over anything that comes out of his mouth.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2017, 11:23:00 AM »

Toque.

Totally!

Seriously.

+1

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2017, 11:34:27 AM »

I find it fascinating that you don't seem to have any difficulty in ascribing a scale of 1-10 for degrees of "binary-ness", yet you seem rather certain that there cannot be varying degrees of uniqueness. It would appear that you consider the word "binary" to be non-binary. If you don't hear from me again, my head probably exploded from the irony.

Bonus thought: Why aren't irony and steely synonyms?

My point was truth could be in the eye of the beholder.  I was proposing another POV. 

Was the Pacer more unique than the Thing?  I would say they were both unique.  To what degree?  Only the beholder determines his own truth and may think the Pacer is not unique but the Thing is unique. Others may think the one is "more" unique than the other.

http://www.eyeontheparanormal.com/head_explode.jpg

To be clear.  I was only proposing other POVs.  I don't care for people using modifiers on binary terms.  It is unnecessary and not needed.  :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2017, 09:09:04 AM »

Today I learned that "toque" is a real English word.

Well, it is a borrowed word.  But English is full of borrowed words.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2017, 09:47:06 AM »

Well, it is a borrowed word.  But English is full of borrowed words.

The pesky Normans...

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2017, 09:50:33 AM »
headlines starting with Yes or No

i.e.

"No, (opinion other than mine) is not okay"

alrighty then, now I'm convinced!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
This is mostly on social media, but people who CAPITALIZE THEIR MAIN POINTS and use an excess of EXCLAMATIONS as if it helps make their emotional, irrational, and/or illogical argument any more valid!!!! Because this is SERIOUS!! And important to them!!! How DARE you have a different opinion on this matter!!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2017, 05:15:49 PM »
I thought of another one: relevancy. Again, what's with the extra syllable? Just say relevance.

Any kind of extra words or syllables:

I am wanting to (I want to)
I am looking to (I want to)
I've got to or I have got to (I have to)

And also, for no particular reason:
Artisanal. 

Mac_MacGyver

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2017, 08:11:34 PM »
Aioli. Seems to mean crappy burger, salad, mayonnaise etc.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2017, 10:49:15 PM »
* Go Big or Go Home *

What does that really mean? Take the tail pipes off the Harley? Drink all the booze? Spend all the money? It is just so stupid.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »
"have a blessed day".

I'm not religious and I fricking hate when people foist their religions on me. 

kissthesky

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2017, 01:07:38 PM »
"I could care less"

+1! When people say "I could care less" I think most people mean "I couldn't care less"

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2017, 03:39:18 PM »
"have a blessed day".

Be glad you don't live here.  Everyone from check out clerks to grocery baggers to auto mechanics say that here. Not to mention that a significant fraction of the doctors at the University hospital will end your appointment by asking if they can pray with/over you.  I usually tell them to do so for themselves if it makes the feel good, but honestly? It makes my skin CRAWL.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2017, 06:26:24 PM »
Kids. That is a juvenile goat. The correct word is children.

(Gasp! Oh, no, wait, I'm British, living in Canada. Nobody says child/children).

2.0. 3.0.

No, it's just 2, or 3. 2.1? Sure. 2.174? Ok. 2.0000000000? No. You don't need to (always, every time) say "two point oh!".

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #142 on: August 27, 2017, 12:54:16 AM »
"have a blessed day".

Oh, but which pronunciation do you hate more?

Bless-said
  - or -
Blest?

Ugh!

mc6

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2017, 05:04:49 AM »
I wish most of the overused words in my workplace would go away.  Collaborative!  Forward-leaning! The overuse of the semi colon!  In day to day life, the words smoothie, beanie, sweetie... 

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: August 27, 2017, 09:38:46 AM »
melting pot

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: August 29, 2017, 03:16:32 PM »
beotch

Ranks right up there with Prolly

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2017, 06:11:52 AM »
"have a blessed day".

Oh, but which pronunciation do you hate more?

Bless-said
  - or -
Blest?

Ugh!

Oh, I hate that one as well. I never heard it until I moved to Mississippi. EVERYONE said it there. I've since lived in Florida and Georgia, and I will occasionally hear someone say it here, but very rarely.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2017, 06:44:03 AM »

Everything I've learned about Canada is from Bob and Doug McKenzie, including toque.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2017, 07:21:58 AM »
"Adulting" was already mentioned but I particularly get annoyed by it when someone says they're "adulting" after they accomplished...nothing. For example, buying a car on credit. You can get a loan for a car with absolutely no credit history, no money down, and low income. Kid at work makes $12 an hour and got approved for a used truck that will cost him $36k by the end of the loan. He had no credit beforehand.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2017, 07:25:34 AM »
melting pot

Same here!  You can splurge and have the fondue meal of a lifetime at home for less than 1/5th the price of that ripoff restaurant.