Author Topic: Women / girls with blue, red, green hair  (Read 22176 times)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Women / girls with blue, red, green hair
« Reply #150 on: January 23, 2019, 08:34:21 AM »
I think many of us wear some kind of “uniform” to fit in with our preferred group. I used to work in NYC and loved to walk through the neighborhoods. The artists had bold hair, clothing, tats and piercings. Or all black. The fashionistas wore the latest designs. Or all black. The corporate types wore Brooks Brothers or Ann Taylor. The academics wore tweed or something ethnic and rather shapeless. Or all black. Black, of course, being the NYC default.

Ha!! When I go down to the city I always felt I stuck out like a sore thumb because I had a turquoise coat, like the bridge and tunnel rube that I am.  I eventually toned it down to a white coat, but I still stand out a bit.

I read a hilarious essay (maybe in The New Yorker?) years ago about a NYC writer who went back to her small midwestern hometown to take care of her mother. Absolutely everything the writer owned was black. When she went out and about, people assumed her mother had died.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Women / girls with blue, red, green hair
« Reply #151 on: January 23, 2019, 08:41:58 AM »
It seems like this fad has totally gone away now at least around me.

I think everyone I know of who cares about fashion is over it now. But everyone I know who had interestingly colored hair when this thread started still does.  I don't know that many people who care about fashion, but know lots who love bold colored hair.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: January 23, 2019, 12:24:20 PM »
I think many of us wear some kind of “uniform” to fit in with our preferred group. I used to work in NYC and loved to walk through the neighborhoods. The artists had bold hair, clothing, tats and piercings. Or all black. The fashionistas wore the latest designs. Or all black. The corporate types wore Brooks Brothers or Ann Taylor. The academics wore tweed or something ethnic and rather shapeless. Or all black. Black, of course, being the NYC default.

Ha!! When I go down to the city I always felt I stuck out like a sore thumb because I had a turquoise coat, like the bridge and tunnel rube that I am.  I eventually toned it down to a white coat, but I still stand out a bit.

I read a hilarious essay (maybe in The New Yorker?) years ago about a NYC writer who went back to her small midwestern hometown to take care of her mother. Absolutely everything the writer owned was black. When she went out and about, people assumed her mother had died.
I teased a couple friends who moved to NYC because after moving there, they all had black leather coats. Around the same time I had a professor who after traveling returned wearing a black leather coat. I complimented it and she said "thanks, I bought it in New York". This was 10, 15 years ago so I don't know if it's still like that.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2019, 12:34:06 PM »
The academics wore tweed or something ethnic and rather shapeless. Or all black.

I've just been thinking I have a distinct lack of tweed in my wardrobe.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2019, 01:52:15 PM »
The academics wore tweed or something ethnic and rather shapeless. Or all black.

ha ha I used to be like that! I remember one time some of us graduate students went to a college to talk about our field. At one point a college student raised his hand and asked something to the extent "Why are you all dressed like that?" and I realized yeah we were all wearing our drab and dull colored tweed outfits.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2019, 02:18:44 PM »

ha ha I used to be like that! I remember one time some of us graduate students went to a college to talk about our field. At one point a college student raised his hand and asked something to the extent "Why are you all dressed like that?" and I realized yeah we were all wearing our drab and dull colored tweed outfits.

My Mom works at a major University. When my husband enrolled (in a different university) to get his PhD, she bought him a burberry scarf. "All PhD candidates wear a burberry scarf"

Apparently...

SilveradoBojangles

• Bristles
« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2019, 02:58:57 PM »
I have rarely seen this in person, but I don't care for it.  I've never seen a guy do it.   It's just another one of those odd things that I don't get.  Fortunately, we don't have too many freaky people around here.

Where do you live, the 1950s?

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2019, 06:57:10 PM »

I teased a couple friends who moved to NYC because after moving there, they all had black leather coats. Around the same time I had a professor who after traveling returned wearing a black leather coat. I complimented it and she said "thanks, I bought it in New York". This was 10, 15 years ago so I don't know if it's still like that.

It's all black puffers now. I can't love the look of puffers though they are practical.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2019, 01:18:12 PM »
Went through the self-checkout lane at the grocery store. The monitor chick had a blue streak in her hair. Brunette, 20 ish, big and tall female. I thought she was hot. She came over and assisted when the bar code wouldn't scan on my London Broil. Nice girl.     

DS

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2019, 01:26:27 PM »

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »
MODERATOR NOTE:

This thread is apparently all about judging people, especially women, based on their looks. 

Sure, this is the "Off Topic" area, but still, I don't see what purpose this serves.

Toque.