Author Topic: Women / girls with blue, red, green hair  (Read 21988 times)

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Women / girls with blue, red, green hair
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2018, 01:31:49 AM »
That first merman guy above looks amazing - love it. 

MayDay and others - you have to realize that not all professions are as liberal about appearance as engineering seems to be.  My boss had me chat with an intern in our office once because he wore white jeans to work, tons of hair gel, multiple ear piercings and lots of jewellery (yes, he looked like a young George Michael).  Apparently, that didn't fly in our work place.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2018, 04:43:40 AM »
After 32 years (28 on active duty) of Uncle Sam telling me how long my hair could be and where I could grow it on my face, I'm looking forward to growing a beard and mustache.  Not going for the merman blue hair look, I think I'll stick with the grey/salt and pepper look that is natural.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2018, 06:02:53 AM »

Meanwhile, my tailor told me a story about a government employee who had a bunch of really nice custom-tailored suits made for his new very high level job working for our previous Prime Minister. His style was very modern and fashionable and the pants and sleeves were all very fitted and tapered. The Prime Minister noticed and had an order sent to him to get new suits that were more old school, looser, conservative, and blended in better. We’re not talking anything super bold here, we’re talking tailoring is custom suits. Yes, some jobs require that much blending in.

In contrast, our current Prime Minister isn’t conservative and is famous for his whacky socks, and I can’t imagine him telling someone to change their suit tailoring. So it’s still not an absolute of the industry or the job. Actually, he probably wouldn’t even mind someone with bright pink hair in his office...actually, he would probably go out of his way to hire someone with bright pink hair...

Malkynn, I am so laughing at this, and remembering the press stories about the socks!

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2018, 08:19:54 AM »
This whole discussion made me go out and buy pink hair dye. I am seriously going to go for some pink now (the washable kind so it will only be temporary).

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2018, 09:00:49 AM »
FT - I dislike 99% of tattoos but I chose to try to not hate them or look at them much as nowadays pretty much everyone seems to have one.  I have no problem with tattoos as a moral issue but I just think they're almost always ugly.  I assume that I'm in the minority since everyone else seems to love them.

This is pretty much my opinion of tattoos as well, so you are not alone.  I realize that it isn't really my business, its their body, but I don't find them attractive either. 

Re:  Hair color.  My mom owns a hair salon and always has her hair different colors.  I am used to it.  My issue with the girls who do the blue/green/pink/purple hair is that it seems like most of them can't even bother to wash and/or comb it.  I have no issue with non-standard hair colors, but if you go to that much trouble, at least comb it and style it so that it looks nice.  If you aren't going to take care of it, why bother???   It just seems like a waste.  Again, it isn't my business, but it still bugs me when I see it.  LOL

Yeah, I feel the same way about tattoos.  I would never get one and think they are an eye sore.  Those merman pictures in this thread are even worse - I need to get that image out of my head.  I can't unsee that!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2018, 10:45:18 AM »
Eew to the mermen, far too much hair on those guys.

I'll preface this with: I realize what anyone does with their look is none of my business, so I've never talked about it til now, don't think consciously about it much either.

A few years ago a handful of acquaintances in the education industry started dyeing their hair blue, fuschia, etc and still do. As they've aged they've gained a lot of weight, their clothing's less structured to accommodate it, and without the bright hair they'd look....frumpy. They were on the cusp of their 40s and by now are well into them. IMO it's cute on most women until early 30s but on anyone much older looks ridiculous - unless they've got a rare, truly badass style.

But these women feel better about themselves by doing it, they've both got health and lifestyle-related problems and it brightens up their outlook. And yes it's none of my business!

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2018, 12:25:07 PM »
I have no problem with blue, red,green hair on people - men or women. 

I work next door to a fairly high-end hair salon and a couple of the stylists have wild hair colours.  One has hair the colour of flames and the other has hair coloured like a yellow hilighter!  Beautifully cut and maintained too.  I especially like the flame coloured hair - really stunning.  Nothing I am interested in personally though - too expensive to maintain.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »
Old man yells at wind.

Well, why the hell does the wind have to be so damned windy !!??

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #58 on: May 28, 2018, 08:55:24 PM »
I love colored hair.  And short hair. Basically anything non-traditional, I guess...I find it exceptionally attractive. Do a Google image search for Halsey or P!nk -- just...I don't have words. I love that look so much.

This whole discussion made me go out and buy pink hair dye. I am seriously going to go for some pink now (the washable kind so it will only be temporary).

:D

TNT

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2018, 10:05:15 PM »
My son's hair is wildly wavy, long, and currently brown but has been blue, purple, black, and pink. He enjoys strange and non-conforming fashion of all kinds. His favorite t-shirt (you know, that one you're 100% likely to see on him the second it's clean again) is pink with watermelons on it.

I do think at least some of the meaning behind his hair color choice is "My dad would hate this."

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2018, 08:55:07 AM »
My sister starting in HS started dying her hair. That was before the real wild colors were around, but she did various shades of blonde, auburn (reddish) and also black hair just because. She also cut her hair. So while what she did with her hair was still acceptable job-wise, it was a way to express her mood and style, which was usually edgy. I still remember a time she came to visit me. the last time I saw her her hair was blonde, and shortish. At baggage claim I walk by a woman with almost shoulder length jet black hair wearing mirror aviators, and think to myself, well that person's not from around here. And then the person called my name which totally confused me and I realized it was my sister.

My oldest daughter when in middle school, had a sleep over, and during the sleepover dyed the bottom half a girls hair with koolaid powder, after bleaching it. All done in the bathroom. Which started a cascade of girls in that group dying their hair various colors. When my daughter was getting her haircut, she requested a stripe of color (she decided on red). To me I don't think it had any deeper meaning than experimenting with how one looks. Definitely as a parent, MUCH prefer experimenting with hair, than things that are permanent like tattoos, piercings.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 08:58:31 AM by partgypsy »

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2018, 09:00:48 AM »
I have no problem with blue, red,green hair on people - men or women. 

I work next door to a fairly high-end hair salon and a couple of the stylists have wild hair colours.  One has hair the colour of flames and the other has hair coloured like a yellow hilighter!  Beautifully cut and maintained too.  I especially like the flame coloured hair - really stunning.  Nothing I am interested in personally though - too expensive to maintain.

Me too! I think they are interesting to look at but I don't want to do anything with my hair that is too high maintenance. I aim for a haircut (and now that I'm older, highlights) 1-2 x a year. So it has to grow out gracefully. I am also of the age, where I look askance at any man who spends too much time on their hair. It seems like an affectation.

Another thing I think about, is the effect of animae and cosplay.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2018, 08:54:50 PM »
Sol, I recognize that you seem to enjoy a much more no holds bared style when it comes to discussions than I do and I've always tried to be polite in my responses to you regardless of that.

But I would never have expected the requirements of Godwin's law to be satisfied in a discussion about hair dye .

You needn't take everything so personally.  It wasn't specifically targeted at you, as an individual, so much as at you, the generic reader.  I was trying to highlight that "because I like the way it looks" can be a pretty stupid reason to modify your appearance, if you don't consider how other people will react to your choices. 

As in this specific example, if you really love Hinduism and wanted to get a tattoo of the Hindu symbol of good luck because you find it personally meaningful, basically everyone else in the world will think you're a Nazi. 

The opinions of other people matter much more than we like to admit.  Why can't we just accept that this reasoning applies to hair color (length/style/etc), too?

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Women / girls with blue, red, green hai
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2018, 09:12:53 PM »
Why do women in their 40s/50s dye their hair bright?? Perhaps to feel young, perhaps to cover grey, perhaps because the grey allows them to dye their hair without destroying it. My hair is nearly black. If I were to bleach it to the level required to go pink, it would probably fall out. You'd better believe that once my hair is grey enough I'm going to get my turn with the kool aid colors I could never manage before.

Hula Hoop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2018, 01:43:52 AM »

As in this specific example, if you really love Hinduism and wanted to get a tattoo of the Hindu symbol of good luck because you find it personally meaningful, basically everyone else in the world will think you're a Nazi. 

The opinions of other people matter much more than we like to admit.  Why can't we just accept that this reasoning applies to hair color (length/style/etc), too?

Another example is giving your kid a crazy name. I've met so many parents who just think "well, I love this name and it's meaningful to me" but unfortunately, the kid is going to have to live with that name and be judged for it, as unfair as that may be.  For the record, my kids have uncommon names but they are actual names that people have heard before.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »
I was at an investing conference this weekend and one of my favorite young analysts has a funky short haircut and his hair is very pale aqua right now.  In the past he has had silver, and I think a brighter blue.

The guy is brilliant though, and he wore a very nice suit.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2018, 10:52:24 AM »
The odd color hair has progressed though.  Either people have become more knowledgeable or the products have gotten better, but when I was in high school, people would color their hair these odd colors, and it would look good for a week then begin to fade to a nasty looking color.  Today, I don't see the faded colors nearly as often. As long as the color doesn't fade to some abomination, I quite like the variety.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
Re: Women / girls with blue, red, green hai
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2018, 07:44:40 AM »
Why do women in their 40s/50s dye their hair bright?? Perhaps to feel young, perhaps to cover grey, perhaps because the grey allows them to dye their hair without destroying it. My hair is nearly black. If I were to bleach it to the level required to go pink, it would probably fall out. You'd better believe that once my hair is grey enough I'm going to get my turn with the kool aid colors I could never manage before.

Good luck... I've found that gray hair won't hold dye, and certainly not kool aid dye :(

I dyed my hair pink in my late 30s because I was never allowed to when I was younger.  I like the color pink. It's really hard to get it to stick though, if I even look at a hot shower the "permanent" dye fades. I've found blue lasts much longer.  But neither covers my grays :(

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2018, 08:36:04 AM »
I see this all over.  Does it have some hidden meaning?  Is it LGB related?  Feminism?

Personally I think it looks hideous, especially on an older woman.  .

I really like Missy Suicide's green hair.

It's probably a different color by now.

I'd post a pic of her if I knew how to do it.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2018, 09:55:06 AM »
I love colored hair.  And short hair. Basically anything non-traditional, I guess...I find it exceptionally attractive. Do a Google image search for Halsey or P!nk -- just...I don't have words. I love that look so much.

I like the punk colors AND the punk hair.

Here are some pics (If I succeed at posting them) of Missy Suicide and some punks.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:00:37 AM by John Galt incarnate! »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
Fun how i stumbled upon this thread just now. Yesterday I bought some temporary purple dye on the advice of my sister who gave it a try recently. It is more of a wash in that it adds tint without completely covering up your natural hair color. I am blonde so this will work better than darker hair. I’m quite excited to give it a try. I used to do different colors just to be different and have some fun. I am slowly coming out of the fog of having and caring for a young baby and would like to do a little something that is all about ME for a change.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
Wear/dress/dye as you see fit, but the "LOOK AT ME" "LOOK AT ME" mentality of some folks gets quite tiring. To each his/her own.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2018, 01:23:35 PM »
Maybe I am just getting old? 

This. It's just a fad like all other things but I have some mom friends who are doing rainbow hair.  I think its fun! And obviously the choice of the individual.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
I feel as the op does about tattoos. The majority of them to me do not look good (ironically I do have some "flash art" of tattoos displayed in my house). And even the ones that do, I think a) the cost and b) I was raised more along the view your body is a temple, versus an "amusement park ride" (Bourdain) analogy, and so to me it seems almost -disrespectful? A lack of self-love? It's a gut feeling and  I fully acknowledge that i'm a fuddy duddy and not current with the times. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »
Wear/dress/dye as you see fit, but the "LOOK AT ME" "LOOK AT ME" mentality of some folks gets quite tiring. To each his/her own.

Maybe they don’t care at all if you look at them?

I have a friend my age (50) who just got purple streaks in her hair. I don’t personally like it.

But I also recognize it’s none of my damn business.

diapasoun

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2018, 02:32:13 PM »
I feel as the op does about tattoos. The majority of them to me do not look good (ironically I do have some "flash art" of tattoos displayed in my house). And even the ones that do, I think a) the cost and b) I was raised more along the view your body is a temple, versus an "amusement park ride" (Bourdain) analogy, and so to me it seems almost -disrespectful? A lack of self-love? It's a gut feeling and  I fully acknowledge that i'm a fuddy duddy and not current with the times.

So, this is something I've never actually understood, and I would genuinely like to. I too grew up with a "the body is a temple" philosophy, but I've never understand how decoration (which tattooing fundamentally is) profanes that temple. It doesn't harm it, unlike a lot of other much more common habits.

I know that for some religious people (Jewish and Christian), Leviticus 19:28 is relevant, and that there's debate over that verse and its exact meaning -- prohibited generally as unclean? Or prohibited when idolatrous? etc. So, I have Jewish friends who love the look of tattoos but won't get them. But unless you're religious, I can only guess (and I have guesses, but I suspect it varies by person, too). I know you said it's a gut feeling, but is there anything you could tease out?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »

Anytime someone makes a deliberately unusual or out of place decision about their public appearance, they are inviting you to make it your business.  Melania can't even wear a jacket without the entire country speculating about the meaning.  Face tattoos send a message.  Public nudity sends a message.  Suits and ties send a message.  Beards and flannel send a message. 

Of course people will judge you based on the appearance you choose to portray, that's what appearances are for.  I find it slightly disingenuous to claim that we should all be able to look however we want to look, free of judgement.  I want my waiter to look clean and my mechanic to look dirty, and if they choose to subvert that expectation then they can expect me to notice, and to form opinions based on their unusual choices.

Hair color is no different.  Weird colors are totally normal in some circumstances, and jarring in others, and any time someone chooses the jarring circumstance they have invited your judgment, no different than if they had chosen all black leather or a pink tutu.  We all use our public appearance to send important social cues. 

So yea, it's kind of everyone's business.  You don't get to say anything (that's rude) but you totally get to have an opinion. 

If my accountant shows up for a meeting in a gimp costume, am I supposed to pretend I don't notice?  I'm all for respecting personal life choices, but it seems silly to pretend appearances don't matter.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2018, 04:12:33 PM »

Anytime someone makes a deliberately unusual or out of place decision about their public appearance, they are inviting you to make it your business.  Melania can't even wear a jacket without the entire country speculating about the meaning.  Face tattoos send a message.  Public nudity sends a message.  Suits and ties send a message.  Beards and flannel send a message. 

Of course people will judge you based on the appearance you choose to portray, that's what appearances are for.  I find it slightly disingenuous to claim that we should all be able to look however we want to look, free of judgement.  I want my waiter to look clean and my mechanic to look dirty, and if they choose to subvert that expectation then they can expect me to notice, and to form opinions based on their unusual choices.

Hair color is no different.  Weird colors are totally normal in some circumstances, and jarring in others, and any time someone chooses the jarring circumstance they have invited your judgment, no different than if they had chosen all black leather or a pink tutu.  We all use our public appearance to send important social cues. 

So yea, it's kind of everyone's business.  You don't get to say anything (that's rude) but you totally get to have an opinion. 

If my accountant shows up for a meeting in a gimp costume, am I supposed to pretend I don't notice?  I'm all for respecting personal life choices, but it seems silly to pretend appearances don't matter.

I'm not pretending appearances don't matter.

That's why I put in the part that you took out: That my friend recently colored her hair with purple streaks, and I don't personally like it.

I'm saying someone else's choices are their choices. Not mine.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:14:15 PM by Kris »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2018, 04:34:07 PM »
That's why I put in the part that you took out: That my friend recently colored her hair with purple streaks, and I don't personally like it.

I didn't so much mean it as a response to your post specifically.  This whole thread has had a pretty consistent "you're not allowed to notice looks" theme to it.

I agree that we all get to color our hair any color we like, for any reason we like.  I just think it's important to remember that other people will observe your choices and form their own opinions, and that's okay too.  Appearances do matter, and we don't get to modify them however we like without accepting the consequences of doing so.

If you work in a place that accepts pink hair, great.  But if you work in a place that doesn't, maybe don't be surprised if you get fired (or passed over for promotion) after you flaunt the boss's cultural expectations.

For example, I would expect to damage my career and my professional reputation if I showed up with pink hair.  I raised this point initially because I know that as a group, women in professional settings sometimes struggle to have their contributions and abilities appropriately recognized and valued.  If it's only women who are dying their hair pink, this activity might contribute to this specific form of discrimination, and I totally understand why.  It would be like if women suddenly found it fashionable to show up late and leave early, or microwave fish in the office break room.  You can't say "it's totally fine it's my decision"and then do something that pisses off your co-workers.

So my tip for everyone:  don't dye your hair a weird color if you think there is any chance a man would be viewed negatively for doing so at your workplace.  Gender equality cuts both ways, and you may be sinking your own ship.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2018, 05:31:29 PM »

I didn't so much mean it as a response to your post specifically.  This whole thread has had a pretty consistent "you're not allowed to notice looks" theme to it.

I agree that we all get to color our hair any color we like, for any reason we like.  I just think it's important to remember that other people will observe your choices and form their own opinions, and that's okay too.  Appearances do matter, and we don't get to modify them however we like without accepting the consequences of doing so.

If you work in a place that accepts pink hair, great.  But if you work in a place that doesn't, maybe don't be surprised if you get fired (or passed over for promotion) after you flaunt the boss's cultural expectations.

For example, I would expect to damage my career and my professional reputation if I showed up with pink hair.  I raised this point initially because I know that as a group, women in professional settings sometimes struggle to have their contributions and abilities appropriately recognized and valued.  If it's only women who are dying their hair pink, this activity might contribute to this specific form of discrimination, and I totally understand why.  It would be like if women suddenly found it fashionable to show up late and leave early, or microwave fish in the office break room.  You can't say "it's totally fine it's my decision"and then do something that pisses off your co-workers.

So my tip for everyone:  don't dye your hair a weird color if you think there is any chance a man would be viewed negatively for doing so at your workplace.  Gender equality cuts both ways, and you may be sinking your own ship.

I mean, the thing is: of course we notice things. That's fine. It's obvious. It's human.

But the... hubris... of feeling like one needs to clutch one's man-pearls and cluck, "You know, someone might actually judge you for that!"

As if women don't know that. As if women aren't already essentially saying "fuck that noise" by making the choice.

I assure you. Women know that men view them negatively for doing things that stray at all outside the norm. We know that everyone judges them negatively, for doing just about anything.

We do not need you to tell us that.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 08:05:26 PM by Kris »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2018, 07:43:56 PM »

Anytime someone makes a deliberately unusual or out of place decision about their public appearance, they are inviting you to make it your business.  Melania can't even wear a jacket without the entire country speculating about the meaning

Melania is a public figure, who was on a official trip. Wearing a very literal message.

I think that's a bit different than pink hair.

I would hazard to guess most people with colored hair aren't making a look at me statement. The statement is probably "I like this color". My pink hair is in NO way your business, and it being such is not me inviting you to make it about your business. It is MY business. No one else's. Just like my not wearing makeup isn't your business, my swimsuit choice isn't your business, my car isn't your business, my dinner isn't your business, my clothes aren't your business. Mind your own damn business and stop judging strangers for innocuous choices.

Women truly can't win. They don't dye their hair, they are lazy and don't care about their appearance (inviting judgement by not doing anything), they dye their hair blonde, they are judged for being vain, they dye it blue or pink, they are judged for being unnatural. What the fuck should women do to get men to stop judging them? Women's decisions are not all about men's opinions. 

My hair color could be my work's business, if they instituted a dress code. Currently it is allowed. I would dye it if it wasn't.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 07:46:07 PM by I'm a red panda »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2018, 08:50:14 PM »
Women truly can't win.

I really don't think this is about gender.  Everyone who struggles in a professional workplace deals with image expectations.  Even in the absence of a specific dress code, the way you groom and dress yourself sends a message about your professionalism to your peers, and your bosses.  Regardless of your gender.

If anything, women are afforded way MORE freedom to change their image at work than are men.  How many dudes can get away with dyed pink hair, yet here we have a whole thread full of women who do it and want zero repercussions.

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2018, 09:35:31 PM »

Anytime someone makes a deliberately unusual or out of place decision about their public appearance, they are inviting you to make it your business.  Melania can't even wear a jacket without the entire country speculating about the meaning

Melania is a public figure, who was on a official trip. Wearing a very literal message.

I think that's a bit different than pink hair.

I would hazard to guess most people with colored hair aren't making a look at me statement. The statement is probably "I like this color". My pink hair is in NO way your business, and it being such is not me inviting you to make it about your business. It is MY business. No one else's. Just like my not wearing makeup isn't your business, my swimsuit choice isn't your business, my car isn't your business, my dinner isn't your business, my clothes aren't your business. Mind your own damn business and stop judging strangers for innocuous choices.

Women truly can't win. They don't dye their hair, they are lazy and don't care about their appearance (inviting judgement by not doing anything), they dye their hair blonde, they are judged for being vain, they dye it blue or pink, they are judged for being unnatural. What the fuck should women do to get men to stop judging them? Women's decisions are not all about men's opinions. 

My hair color could be my work's business, if they instituted a dress code. Currently it is allowed. I would dye it if it wasn't.

You, nor anybody else on this Earth, gets to tell me when, where, if, and how, I can form an opinion. Sorry. That's not how this works.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2018, 09:55:15 PM »
The current times are what they are, current. Some of it is great, some of it we'll look back at in horror, maybe.

And I'm judging all of you dyed-haired tattoed weirdos. Don't worry though, I judge everyone, you're not special.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2018, 10:10:41 PM »
I'll try to answer the question about tattoos. Possibly it does have to do with upbringing. Though im not a churchgoer, i was raised Greek Orthodox, where heck i wasn't supposed to even wear makeup let alone anything as extreme as a tattoo (tho the grown up women def wore makep, but anyone who dyed their hair blonde; it was disapproved of). My dad's Greek and talked about ancient Greece and how the human body is a temple and beautiful on it's own, natural. It's not a billboard. I think my negative views were reinforced because my older brother was a delinquent and punk rocker and gave himself a homemade tattoo. He admitted at the time he had a lot of self-hating. It's just not for me. Heck up until the last 5? Years i never dyed my hair or even plucked my brows. I just like being natural.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:14:16 PM by partgypsy »

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2018, 10:18:52 PM »
We don't really need to complain about how other people dress and live their lives -
Yes. Yes, we do. I'm judging you. And you over there, too.

Man buns.

Also, a hate from my industry of fitness: trainer boys, have a shave for god's sake. There's manly stubble and then there's just scruffy.

I agree on crocs. I dated a woman once who commented, "slip-on shoes are the mark of a lazy man." As the years go on I realise how right she was.

I know it's fashionable to be inclusive but I'm trying to bring my children up better than that.

Yes, I'm judging you.

Kyle Schuant

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2018, 10:20:49 PM »
I want my waiter to look clean and my mechanic to look dirty, and if they choose to subvert that expectation then they can expect me to notice, and to form opinions based on their unusual choices.
There was a laundry detergent advert on tv where the wife uses the detergent and her husband's overalls are always spotlessly clean and he keeps getting fired from his jobs and can't figure out why.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2018, 10:32:27 PM »
We don't really need to complain about how other people dress and live their lives -
Yes. Yes, we do. I'm judging you. And you over there, too.

Man buns.

Also, a hate from my industry of fitness: trainer boys, have a shave for god's sake. There's manly stubble and then there's just scruffy.

I agree on crocs. I dated a woman once who commented, "slip-on shoes are the mark of a lazy man." As the years go on I realise how right she was.

I know it's fashionable to be inclusive but I'm trying to bring my children up better than that.

Yes, I'm judging you.
This makes me feel better that I'm not the only person in the world who has a dislike of Crocs. Granted they now make ones that don't look like plastic bed slippers or toddler shoes. But they make me feel we are getting 1 step closer to some dystopian world of pple wearing disposable plastic clothes
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 10:34:00 PM by partgypsy »

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2018, 01:41:47 AM »
Tattoos are really a non-issue for me. Have them, don't have them, I don't give a fuck. I could see myself getting a tattoo but I find it a bit too expensive at the moment for just having someone make a picture on my skin and this is really not a thing to be to cheap about, you often get what you pay for in this world. So if I make more money or if I can find a true good deal for a tattoo I might get one but I am not crying about the fact I don't have one now. I don't think face-tattoos are a smart thing because they are hard to cover up if you get sick of them but everyone gets to decide what to do with their body.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2018, 01:53:58 AM »
I have no issue with funky hair colors because one can always dye hair back to its original or a "normal" color.  Tattoos, however, are as a pundit once put it, "permanent reminders of temporary whims."  And sorry, young hardbodies, when you get old they're going to look awful, there's no avoiding it.     

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #90 on: July 06, 2018, 06:49:11 PM »
It seems the commonness of dyed hair (along with level of comfort with others having dyed hair) is very contextual. It's more common/normalized in creative, tech, and queer communities - being a part of such communities, or having friends within those communities, means you probably view having colored hair as a more normal behavior. If you're from a more rural area, or in a particularly religious community, etc., then it's going to be perceived as more aberrant. I suspect that over time it's going to become more and more normalized.

I don't understand the judgement against older women with dyed hair in interesting colors, especially considering how so many women dye their hair once it starts graying anyhow. Personally I love colorful hair, and don't see it as that different than piercing one's ears or wearing bright nail polish.

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2018, 09:13:01 AM »
Women judge women just as much or more as men judge women.  At least, I hear women judging women more than I hear men do it.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2018, 11:09:07 AM »
Now I am one of those people with strange hair colors, I finally went ahead and used my pink dye and I have a pinkish tint in my formerly blond highlights. I like it but next time I might go for blue instead, I think it is more my color. It will be interesting to see what MIL says when we get there, I expect an strange comment that is not technically an insult but certainly meant as one.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2018, 03:16:19 PM »

Agreed. Re-reading the OP's post he said he especially hates it on older women. Ageism for women is a huge issue. So much of one's social, work etc capital is based upon their looks and youthfulness. So a younger woman (arguably more attractive by male standards) does it and it's tolerable. An older woman does it, perhaps to look younger and it's especially gross according to the OP. So should older women just go away so men don't have to view and be disgusted by their waning attractiveness?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »

Agreed. Re-reading the OP's post he said he especially hates it on older women. Ageism for women is a huge issue. So much of one's social, work etc capital is based upon their looks and youthfulness. So a younger woman (arguably more attractive by male standards) does it and it's tolerable. An older woman does it, perhaps to look younger and it's especially gross according to the OP. So should older women just go away so men don't have to view and be disgusted by their waning attractiveness?

I probably shouldn't even bother because this has been addressed pretty thoroughly, but it's not just men who judge women. Also, In the case of OP (who I assume is a man) it's not necessarily a judgment of attractiveness. I'm not physically attracted to males or a large portion of the female population, but I still have opinions about how they look. It could be a matter of looking tough, looking intelligent, looking classy, or even looking like you don't care too much about the way you look. Different people are going to prefer different things.

I would imagine OP wouldn't walk up to someone in public and tell them he doesn't like their hair, that's incredibly rude. That's why you do it on an anonymous forum, and hell, he even acknowledged that he's being a crotchety old man. Older people tend to dislike change. Colorful hair being normalized is change for OP.

One more assumption about OP, (I have to assume because he disappeared, never to be heard from again :) he would be way more disturbed by the merman pictures posted earlier than any woman with colored hair.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2018, 03:39:19 PM »

This isn't just a female problem.  You think older men in the workplace can get away with pink hair and a new eyebrow piercing?

Social expectations of professional appearance, particularly at the level of corporate management and above, are hugely constrictive.  For everyone.  No need to blame men in particular, they are just as victimized as anyone else.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2018, 04:18:56 PM »

I think we're supposed to accept and cultivate invisibility past a certain age. So as not to offend the eye.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2018, 04:39:50 PM »

This isn't just a female problem.  You think older men in the workplace can get away with pink hair and a new eyebrow piercing?

Social expectations of professional appearance, particularly at the level of corporate management and above, are hugely constrictive.  For everyone.  No need to blame men in particular, they are just as victimized as anyone else.

Ah, but that wasn’t what the OP was about, was it? It was specifically about how awful women and girls look when they dye their hair crazy colors, and how baffling it is that they don’t know better than to do such a thing. And whether they do it because maybe they’re lesbians.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 04:41:23 PM by Kris »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2018, 04:40:15 PM »
Women judge women just as much or more as men judge women.  At least, I hear women judging women more than I hear men do it.

This is true. Generalising here, women don't dress up to impress a bloke. They do it for the inevitable instagram comments from their friends on the pics of the night out.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2018, 04:42:09 PM »
Ah, but that wasn’t what the OP was about, was it? It was specifically about how awful women and girls look when they dye their hair crazy colors, and how baffling it is that they don’t know better than to do such a thing.

Right, and I was totally on board with the responses until we started getting all of this man-hate.  You can defend a person's fashion choices without making this about the patriarchy.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!