Author Topic: Window cleaning tips  (Read 2416 times)

compassphoenix

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Window cleaning tips
« on: June 05, 2018, 05:09:06 AM »
Can anyone suggest the best tools for window cleaning as we can make it a DIY job

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Window cleaning tips
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:02:59 AM »
Honestly, I've found microfiber cloths to be the best tool for getting streak-free windows.  You just get it wet, wipe the window down, and then wipe again with a dry cloth.  I was incredibly skeptical, but then my mom cleaned my windows while I was on maternity leave a while ago, and it was the cleanest they've ever been.

CptCool

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 09:24:14 AM »
Any lint free cloth or wipe is all you need, along with windex (off-brand or name brand, either works).

I just use the $1 off-brand windex and paper towels. Don't clean while in direct sunlight. Should be super easy - hardest part is just reaching the windows if you have to do it on a ladder

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 09:39:36 AM »
Newspapers do a pretty good job of not streaking and there's no lint to leave behind. Also they're cheap as free!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 09:52:41 AM »
outdoors I use a scrubber squeegee like the ones at gas stations. You can get them for cheap at auto parts stores. Mix up a very mild soap solution (I like simple green) and go to town. Use a cloth to wipe up the dribbles on the window frames.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 12:59:02 PM »
Hardwood mop with microfiber cover. We have grates on the windows and bushes under some; this reaches through and scrubs the glass. I bet it can also help reach 2nd story windows from a ladder (but is not something I've dealt with). Also had luck just spraying with a hose from the outside. Gets them clean-er if not completely sparkling (also gets the spiderwebs off the grating in our case).

On the inside or removable windows, you can use wet rags. Dish soap can give a pretty streak-free rinse on glass. Or Windex/other ammonia-based glass cleaner.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 02:10:39 PM »
Good old black and white newspapers with ammonia water do a darned good job.   Pretty Mustachian too.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 06:56:10 PM »
Wipe vertically on one side and horizontally on the other.  If there are streaks, you'll know which side they're on.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »
Make your own glass cleaner for PENNIES per bottle:

1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 cups warm water
Combine everything in a spray bottle, and shake well.

I spray this on, and wipe with newspapers / newsprint.  I'm sure microfiber cloths would work well too.

If the outside windows are particularly grimy, I'll do a first pass with an ordinary rag and warm water.

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 09:40:55 AM »
Wipe vertically on one side and horizontally on the other.  If there are streaks, you'll know which side they're on.
great tip!!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 01:03:44 PM »
Never clean the exterior of a window.  That's what rain is for.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 03:28:43 PM »

Expecting the outside to be clean is just hedonistic adaptation?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 07:11:52 AM »

Expecting the outside of your windows to ever be spotlessly clean is insanity.

The outside is a place where there's regular rain (which washes off dust and leaves slight spots) and dust (which leaves dust).  Cleaning the windows on the outside is a total waste of your time unless you can stop both the rain and the dust . . . because a day later and your windows will be back to their normal state.

If you have something unusual like a giant splash of bird crap, or the neighbor's kid has been lobbing mud balls at your windows . . . sure, maybe spray it off with a hose.  Cleaning the outside of the windows because they're 'dirty' though is just an exercise in futility.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/12/30/are-you-cleaning-out-your-own-wallet/

meghan88

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 09:09:36 AM »
For those of us who live in condos with a somewhat sheltered balcony, I clean the outside of those windows / doors annually each fall.  During the winter, I want every bit of light that I can get.  Home-made cleaning liquid and newspaper.  Costs next to nothing and takes very little time.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2018, 10:04:39 AM »

The outside is a place where there's regular rain (which washes off dust and leaves slight spots) and dust (which leaves dust).  Cleaning the windows on the outside is a total waste of your time unless you can stop both the rain and the dust . . . because a day later and your windows will be back to their normal state.

If you have something unusual like a giant splash of bird crap, or the neighbor's kid has been lobbing mud balls at your windows . . . sure, maybe spray it off with a hose.  Cleaning the outside of the windows because they're 'dirty' though is just an exercise in futility.

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/12/30/are-you-cleaning-out-your-own-wallet/
"Vacuuming is insane because most dust is human skin cells as you're always shedding more of those who it will just get dusty again."

People are usually aware that the things they clean won't remain spotless indefinitely, but we clean things to make them cleaner for some time. Rainy season doesn't end up cleaning my windows, just depositing a layer of dust/dirt. Plus the spiderwebs don't help.

If someone wants to clean their windows, or whatever, and finds the results enjoyable, what's it to you?

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 10:47:46 AM »

"I don't wash the towel, the towel washes me! Who washes a towel? What's next? Wash the shower?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxdjPH0JrDM  /humor

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »
Any lint free cloth or wipe is all you need, along with windex (off-brand or name brand, either works).

I just use the $1 off-brand windex
^^
The $1 off brand windex + old cotton bath towels for the inside
Squeegee and straight water on the outside, 1/mo. Takes 10min.