Author Topic: Wimbledon 2015!  (Read 8719 times)

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
  • Eisen und Blut und Pfannkuchen
Wimbledon 2015!
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:26:06 AM »
Hey, I'm hoping this post isn't entirely useless, as I'm hoping there's at least 1 or 2 other fans of the greatest tournament in the sport, if not one of the greatest in sporting in general.

For those not in the know, it's a tournament begun in 1871 on grass (yes, grass as in the stuff you mow) at the All England Club, and has become the most prestigious tournament in tennis, with the tournament in it's entirety involving upwards of 1,000 athletes.

If you'd like a little history on Wimbledon and an incredibly storied past, see here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Championships,_Wimbledon

Brackets, live scores, radio, and video can be found here:
http://www.wimbledon.com/index.html

So far it's been kinda business as usual for the top men's seeds, with Djokovic, Nishikori, Wawrinka, Dimitrov, Federer, and Nadal all having advanced past the first round, and Murray likely to join them in the second round today.

On the ladies side, both the Williams sisters have advanced, as well as Errani, Azarenka, Ivanovic, Radwanska, Stosur, Stephens, and Kvitova.

I am hoping for a Federer win because I'm a lame fanboy, but also to dampen arguments that the game has changed so much and that Federer only wins against weak opponents, if only out of frustration at the ignorance and disrespect towards all the incredibly good players he's played in the past.

Anyone else here as mildly obsessed with the tournament as I am?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:33:29 AM by OttoVonBisquick »

DragonSlayer

• Stubble
Re: Wimbledon 2015!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 09:59:34 AM »
I'm obsessed with tennis, full stop. The grand slams are my four times a year tv binging vice. I stay up to all hours to see the Australian Open in January. So you're not alone. My fondest memory is of actually getting to go to Wimbledon in 1992 when I was studying over there. I keep hoping to get to go back, but no luck so far.

Personally, I root for either Federer or Murray at WImbledon. I love Fed's game and just watching the British reaction to a Murray win is priceless, so I'd love for either to win. Shame they'll have to play each other in the semis if they each make it that far. I really can't stand The Joker - hoping he goes out early, but knowing it's unlikely. On the women's side, I'm rooting for Kvitova again. I keep hoping she'll really start to shine somewhere other than Wimbledon because I think she has a great game.

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 10:39:31 AM »
I'm obsessed with tennis, full stop. The grand slams are my four times a year tv binging vice. I stay up to all hours to see the Australian Open in January. So you're not alone. My fondest memory is of actually getting to go to Wimbledon in 1992 when I was studying over there. I keep hoping to get to go back, but no luck so far.

Personally, I root for either Federer or Murray at WImbledon. I love Fed's game and just watching the British reaction to a Murray win is priceless, so I'd love for either to win. Shame they'll have to play each other in the semis if they each make it that far. I really can't stand The Joker - hoping he goes out early, but knowing it's unlikely. On the women's side, I'm rooting for Kvitova again. I keep hoping she'll really start to shine somewhere other than Wimbledon because I think she has a great game.

Sweet! Glad I'm not the only one!! I don't really watch TV of any kind, and spend most of my time in front of a computer, so I try and watch live streams on ESPN or, if not, then highlights/full matches as they come up.

I'm so insanely jealous that you got to go to a Wimbledon. I can't imagine the excitement and enjoyment in the air at that place, especially if you get to wake up, enjoy some british breakfast, and go see the world's absolute best compete on the most sacred ground and surface type in tennis.

That being said, my uncle may or may not be able to score me tickets to the first weekend of the US Open this year, meaning the round of 16! I'm dying to go and, with the new southwest card that I will fill up to get my 50k points, I might be looking at an incredibly cheap visit to my second favorite tournament!

And yeah, I'm not a huge fan of djokovic. He's really nice, funny, a "djoker" if you will, but... What's his game style? Counter-puncher on serve? It feels like both he and Murray are just sluggers with the same strokes and movement. Nadal has a wildly confusing and interesting left-handed top-spin chainsaw whip stroke, Federer brings the most beautiful looking shots ever made, at least Dimitrov brings an incredible amount of athleticism and grit, as does Monfils, but Djokovic? He just hits the ball really hard in a semi-loopy, swatty way.

Maybe I'm pretentious, since I'm only 21 and have inadvertently modeled my play style after Federer, and therefore am ingrained with a better ability to subconsciously physically identify with his movements and therefore his style, but still.

I might just buy some cream and have them with the strawberries I already have, just to celebrate the beginning of the games!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 12:26:31 PM »
I'm a huge Federer fan, but I think he's just gotten a bit too old and slow.  Definitely can't compete on clay, IMO, but really crossing my fingers for him at Wimbledon!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:11:05 PM »
I also enjoy watching tennis.  Last few years I haven't caught much except the occasional grand slam semi final or final.  I went to a Davis Cup match about 20 years ago in Montreal, I saw Patrick Rafter player, he was a top 10ish player in his peak if you never heard of him, or too young to go that far back, it was great to see a match in person. 

I don't think anyone else who commented so far is Canadian (sorry if I missed that you are), but anyone know what is wrong with Eugenie Bouchard?   She has lost almost every match she has played since getting to the final in Wimbledon last year.

I would like to see Federer win one more before he calls it a career, but I'm not sure he has it left in the tank.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »
Before I had kids I watched all four of the Slams every year from start to finish. Basically two weeks of being glued to the television. I watched all the other Masters tournaments that made it to ESPN. I was obsessed. My husband and I contemplated planning our honeymoon around the Australian Open in January, but his vacation time wasn't long enough to go that far away. Maybe some day.... We're about to celebrate our 10th anniversary, and I'm pushing for a Montreal trip to see the Masters tournament there.

Sadly my interest has waned over the last few years, but it's still my favorite sport to watch when I get a chance.

I've always been a big Federer fan. Not that it's that important, but he seems like a great guy off the court as well, and I like that he married a "normal" woman and not a supermodel. I've only been to one major tournament -- in Cincinnati about 8 years ago, and I was crushed when he lost early and we didn't get to see him play. We did see Nadal, Roddick, Safin, and Wawrinka (congrats recent winner!), among others. I would really recommend Cincinnati. It's smaller and cheaper. We were so close to the players at most of the courts.

Anyway, you've inspired me to do a better job watching Wimbledon this year, although the networks are making it harder and harder to watch. We don't have cable.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:43 PM »
Was gutted to see our Aussie battler Lleyton Hewitt bow out in Round 1.

The former champ deserved better for his farewell, but going down 11-9 in the 5th set was typical of his fight to the very end character.

I think he would have appreciated that sort of exit, rather than say bowing out in straight sets to Novak in Round 2. Jakko Nieminem has that unfortunate fate ahead of him now (also his last time at Wimbledon too).

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 12:25:27 AM »
Loving the grand slams as well! I'm a big Williams fan, both of Serena and Venus. They are so powerful! I'm of course also rooting for the Dutch players, but somehow we suck at tennis. At Roland Garros everyone was out after the first round, and now we have 2 players in the second round but they have to play against Murray and Sharapova, so I'm guessing that won't end well...

I would like to visit one of the tournaments as well, and I should do it in the coming years if I want to see the Williams play I guess. Wimbledon would be my favorite. I've looked at Roland Garros tickets this year, but even with a free place to sleep in Paris I thought I couldn't justify the expenses to myself. Maybe next year.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 04:21:56 AM »
I'm watching.  Luckily here in the UK we have the BBC showing up to 12 different games at the same time, all free to internet.  Never been myself, although I did get to the French Open one year (much less competition for tickets).

Surprisingly, there are a number of Brits through the first round this year apart from Murray.  Inexplicable.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 04:28:30 AM »
I'm a big fan of Wimbledon and unsurprisingly I would like to see Murray win.:P I like Nadal too because he is gorgeous lol.

I haven't ever been to Wimbledon but it looks like it must be boiling hot there this year as it's the hottest day of the year. It makes a difference from the usual rain!

Tennis is my favourite sport to watch but I might watch the women's football as the English team are meant to be doing well.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 04:40:40 AM »
I used to go back when I lived in London; TV doesn't capture the general good mood and playful banter of the public. Great place to spend an afternoon in the sun. I have one particular recollection of seeing Marat Safin (remember him? he was poised to be one of the greatest rising stars) yell and smash his racket to the ground in frustration. He is so huge and much more intimidating in person, that shut everyone up real quick.

I'm a Djoko fan, but I have to admit that Federer is the real king over there. He is so natural and gracious on grass, and you can tell from his interviews and outfits that he just loves the tradition and history.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2015, 04:56:34 AM »
I started watching Wimbledon when Andre Agassi was very popular, it was when he had the mullet hairstyle. I think it was about 1991 so I was 15, ha, makes me feel old.

I remember when I was really young that my family watched John McEnroe and his tantrums.:P

The Fake Cheap

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 08:03:11 AM »
I started watching Wimbledon when Andre Agassi was very popular, it was when he had the mullet hairstyle. I think it was about 1991 so I was 15, ha, makes me feel old.

I remember when I was really young that my family watched John McEnroe and his tantrums.:P

Speaking of McEnroe, isn't he one of the greatest commentators not just for tennis, but for any sport?  He really calls it like it is and obviously have a lot of knowledge of the game.   I really enjoy watching a match when he is part of the crew.

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 08:13:46 AM »
Was gutted

How to spot an Aussie.

I might watch the women's football

How to spot anyone other than an American or Canadian ;) . Although I would love to see women's (american) football, as I adore the women's US (European) football team and the Women's Rugby team here. Athletic women do it for me.

Anyways
I don't think anyone else who commented so far is Canadian (sorry if I missed that you are), but anyone know what is wrong with Eugenie Bouchard?   She has lost almost every match she has played since getting to the final in Wimbledon last year.

She apparently had two tears in her abdomen in the first round this year (!), and likely has been dealing with a prolonged injury throughout the last year. Really disappointing as I always liked her attitude. Me rooting for Serena is natural, given just how dominant and, well, American she is, but I don't mind Eugenie's play either.

I'm a big fan of Wimbledon and unsurprisingly I would like to see Murray win.:P I like Nadal too because he is gorgeous lol.

I can't oppose either of those, really. I was really happy for Murray to win the Wimbledon in 2013, and I just kinda want Nadal to win a few more since he's obviously going to succumb to injuries rather "early" as compared to Federer or Djokovic. I mean, Nadal's been playing somewhat poorly this year, didn't win the French (!), hasn't won a clay title I think, and seems pessimistic:
"I am not the favorite for the French"
"I just didn't play well this year" etc. etc.

Speaking of McEnroe, isn't he one of the greatest commentators not just for tennis, but for any sport?  He really calls it like it is and obviously have a lot of knowledge of the game.   I really enjoy watching a match when he is part of the crew.

Oh man, I 100% agree. He is so good at discussing pressure points, what the players are thinking, why they pursue specific shots, shot strategies, set strategies, what they need to do to beat the other player, even going as far as to call the specific shots that a player is likely to take given a score or game situation. He's truly a tennis player through-and-through. I am amazed by his insight, sometimes.

EDIT:
Oh, and I am absolutely NOT a fan of Sharapova. Her annoying shrieks, her attitude on-court and off-court, that weird clenched-shoulder, clenched-fist shuffle she does all the time on court just rubs me the wrong way. She's obviously a *great* player, and reportedly incredibly nice, but I guess I'm just picky...

EDIT:
"Ice cream for sale as temperatures reach the mid-90s here..." I want ice cream too...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 08:31:51 AM by OttoVonBisquick »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 08:36:47 AM »
John McEnroe is a good commentator, he is very funny at times as well.

I like watching Serena Williams play. Such power.

I realised that the women's football is on at nearly midnight tonight so I won't be watching it now.:P It's too late for me to stay up.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2015, 03:52:26 PM »
Was gutted

How to spot an Aussie.

Mate. Whats doin'.

Really disappointing as I always liked her [Eugenie Bouchard] attitude

I liked her because she's hot. But whatever floats your boat.

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2015, 04:46:34 PM »
Really disappointing as I always liked her [Eugenie Bouchard] attitude

I liked her because she's hot. But whatever floats your boat.

Well, duh, she is my wife, but she doesn't quite know it yet.

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 02:20:33 AM »
The Sister act will be played today! I'm working from home so I can see the match. A bit disappointing to me that they already meet in the fourth round, but I'm looking forward to the match!

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:27 AM »
Big tennis fan/player here...

Murray looks very good, although i can't see him beating Djoker at all.

Djoker in a pickle right now, but he'll get the 5th easy vs Anderson.

Federer looking solid although he hasn't had much of a test so far... if his serve+forehand are firing, he's deadly.

Wawrinka is again moving through... although grass is his WORST surface as he takes huge cuts at the ball (less time)... I can't see him beating murray or federer on grass (they hit very flat and give him even less time), i can see him beating Djoker again as he hits heavy spin (give him more time for his swings).

Be interesting though... lone Canadian is through, Pospisil... though he'll get destroyed by Murray imho.

Big Federer fan here as well so hoping he can close this out... he was so close last year.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 06:54:32 AM by sleepyguy »

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 06:56:15 AM »
I love Federer, so I'd love to see Djoker in the bin with Nadal... C'mon Anderson...

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 07:04:27 AM »
Nick Kyrgios was behaving like such a wanker yesterday and I'm glad he went out. He needs to grow up.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2015, 07:25:25 AM »
Closer 5th then anticipated... only 1st serves were Andersons weapon (just like Isner and Karlovic... I'll give Raonic a pass as he has pretty decent forehand and net game).

I love Federer, so I'd love to see Djoker in the bin with Nadal... C'mon Anderson...

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2015, 02:23:34 PM »
Big tennis fan/player here...

Murray looks very good, although i can't see him beating Djoker at all.

Djoker in a pickle right now, but he'll get the 5th easy vs Anderson.

Federer looking solid although he hasn't had much of a test so far... if his serve+forehand are firing, he's deadly.

Wawrinka is again moving through... although grass is his WORST surface as he takes huge cuts at the ball (less time)... I can't see him beating murray or federer on grass (they hit very flat and give him even less time), i can see him beating Djoker again as he hits heavy spin (give him more time for his swings).

Be interesting though... lone Canadian is through, Pospisil... though he'll get destroyed by Murray imho.

Big Federer fan here as well so hoping he can close this out... he was so close last year.

Great points. Federer's forehand is so unique now that I've learned to spot the stroke differences after hundreds of hours watching the pros: It's almost like he hits flat balls that fly with a ton of spin. He swings flat, but head speed seems to impart such spin that it takes the shot up several percentage points in success by helping the ball to cut back down to the ground quickly.

We will see how he performs this year, but he's just looked so solid in his strokes that I hope he doesn't fall apart against Murray/Djok due to what I've determined to be some mental block against the other top 5.
Nick Kyrgios was behaving like such a wanker yesterday and I'm glad he went out. He needs to grow up.
Agreed, I don't like his attitude and sloppy looking style much.

Closer 5th then anticipated... only 1st serves were Andersons weapon (just like Isner and Karlovic... I'll give Raonic a pass as he has pretty decent forehand and net game).

Yeah, that seems to be a big problem among those who are power-servers first and tennis players second. One stat that I've noticed consistently correlate with higher win-rate (obviously, to the more veteran viewers, maybe) is return point win %.
 If you get players like:

Murray, Djokovic, who compensate for massive serves via counter-punching and excellent defensive stroke technique, respectively, or

Nadal, who uses space and massive topspin to allow time to both hit the shot and return to court after a return, or

Federer, who stands close to the baseline and uses quick reflexes and slices/flat shots to throw his opponents off and use their serve against them,

you see massive return point winnings % (or breaks of serve, as they're mainly called). This might seem odd since we only see 1 or 2 breaks every set from the winning player, but what I've noticed is that the better player almost always earns more points when receiving than the player who typically loses. Essentially, they make it harder for the server to get his win, despite a massive advantage in the form of the server choosing where and how he places his serve.

I've made this the focus of my game, and seek out the biggest servers in my area in the hopes of learning to both adapt to multiple styles of serves and also figuring out how to best punish and intimidate the ones who think that a big serve is everything to their game. I'm one of those people, so I hope that this will flesh out my game.

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2015, 01:54:47 PM »
So, we've got a Serena Muguruthless final, and a Djokovic/Gasquet Federer/Murray semifinals starting tomorrow. Very good finishes to the tournament both emotionally (for me) and in terms of upsets and interesting matches.

I'm also beginning a tournament tomorrow, so it'll be a day full of tennis.

I imagine Federer will likely beat Murray in 5 sets, though it could go either way. Djokovic will likely roll over Gasquet without an incredible amount of difficulty.

Obviously, despite Muguruza's, well, muguruthlessness in terms of going after shots and hitting with great pace on the ground, never backing down from shots, I just don't think she can keep up with Serena's raw physical power. Also, she has had an insane run, as this is Muguruza's first slam final, and is propelling her dozens of points up in the rankings into the WTA Top 10. I imagine the pressure will be very high, and I can't imagine a somewhat low-ranked player quickly being able to handle the pressure of facing the absolute, undoubted current women's best tennis player. Serena apparently (from what I've heard/read) projects an absolutely dominating presence on the court with her shots and demeanor, and I doubt Muguruza will be capable of withstanding the onslaught.

If she can, it will be an incredibly interesting match anyways, so be sure to tune in Saturday!

FYI Men's semis tomorrow, Women's finals Saturday, Men's finals Sunday.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
I am rooting for Serena to get her second "Serena Slam."

Now that it's over, I'm sure it won't be considered too memorable, but Serena's match against Heather Watson last week was a great example of why this sport is so compelling. Here Serena, the number 1 seed, came within two points of losing to the unranked Watson. And the typically demure British crowd was palpably rooting for Watson, because she's British and how amazing would it be for the British, who have been so tennis-star-deprived, to have one of their own upset the top player in the world. Watching Serena climb her way back to viability in that match and go on to win, she just radiated "champion." To be so close to brink of having it all slip away, and using that as FUEL to rise up and take back control, it's awe-inspiring.

I've decided that Serena Williams is my hero.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2015, 08:34:31 PM »
My picks,

Serena destroys whats her name, 6-2, 6-0... book it.

Federer beats Murray in 4 tight sets.

Djokovic straights Gasquet, this is a super bad matchup for Gasquet... Djokovic just does everything better then him, and is twice as fit... ok Gasquet is a better net player, that's about it.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2015, 08:37:39 PM »
Sometimes I find myself wondering if I could beat Serena in an arm wrestle.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 04:11:42 AM »
I am rooting for Serena to get her second "Serena Slam."

Now that it's over, I'm sure it won't be considered too memorable, but Serena's match against Heather Watson last week was a great example of why this sport is so compelling. Here Serena, the number 1 seed, came within two points of losing to the unranked Watson. And the typically demure British crowd was palpably rooting for Watson, because she's British and how amazing would it be for the British, who have been so tennis-star-deprived, to have one of their own upset the top player in the world. Watching Serena climb her way back to viability in that match and go on to win, she just radiated "champion." To be so close to brink of having it all slip away, and using that as FUEL to rise up and take back control, it's awe-inspiring.

I've decided that Serena Williams is my hero.

That was a fabulous match. I was on the edge of my seat.:P

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 04:36:06 AM »
Sometimes I find myself wondering if I could beat Serena in an arm wrestle.

I think she'd break your arm and a few other bits of you too!

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2015, 12:03:31 PM »
Did you all see Federer vs Murray? That was an amazing performance by Roger. He won in straight sets despite a very high level of play by Murray as well.

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2015, 12:20:21 PM »
Did you all see Federer vs Murray? That was an amazing performance by Roger. He won in straight sets despite a very high level of play by Murray as well.

Yeah, I mean, it was just absurd how well federer was serving. Just non-stop aces or excellent first serves. 76% first serve rate, 84%(!!!) first serve win rate, 56-11 winners/UFE ratio, I mean he was just firing on all 8 cylinders. No brakes on that fed express. Murray also had 74/71 first serve/first serve win, which is quite damn good, but once again we see that Federer had a 35% receiving point win number, whereas Murray had 23%.

tldr: Federer crushed the two components of winning tennis games and therefore sets: Serving good and returning good. Or, rather, server better and returning better than your opponent. Technique and ground-strokes only come into play after the two most important shots of any point: the serve and the return.

EDIT: Stats gotten from http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/scores/stats/day19/1602ms.html

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2015, 04:42:59 AM »
I'm disappointed that Andy lost but Roger played almost perfectly.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2015, 05:03:52 AM »
Hard to see what anyone could have done against Roger yesterday.  Andy played well, but there was nothing he could do. 

The final tomorrow should be epic.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 06:34:23 AM »
Serena is going to be playing with one hand and doing her makeup/writing victory speech/signing autographs with the other hand as she swats away the latest cannon fodder thrown at her tonight.

Poor Spanish girl isn't going to know what hit her, especially since she made the mistake of actually beating Serena last year. Red rag to a raging bull...

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2015, 08:54:03 AM »
That was an amazing match, Serena had a wobble at the start but then it was fabulous to watch.

I was crying at the end when they were making their speeches in front of the crowd.:0

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 09:01:26 AM »
Anyone not watching this should be. What a battle!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2015, 08:03:54 PM »
It was sad to see Fed deflate a bit after the rain delay. Still, for much of match both players were playing what seemed super-human tennis it was so scary good.

I also chuckled when one of the other announcers asked John McEnroe when the last time a player came from two sets down to win the Wimbledon final was. Poor Johnny Mac, the answer was Jimmy Connors -- to beat him for the 1982 Wimbledon title. And that record still holds true after today.

OttoVonBisquick

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 10:58:59 AM »
Hell of a final. Djokovic's service was on point as was his return, although it felt as though there was a higher-than-average unforced-error percentage in this match.

Fed snuck away with that second set tbh. They both seemed to be playing excellent shots like clockwork back and forth until they made an unforced error or a poor play and the other play exploited it immediately.

I was surprisingly un-upset about Federer losing, but it was certainly a fun way to spend my sunday morning.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 11:35:18 AM »
Power tennis seems to be only way Djoker is vulnerable the past 2 years (except for the hiccup vs Nishikori).

He is unreal, robotic almost.  Federer DID NOT play bad... i would say at least 50% of his 1st serves federer put in against anyone else would of had a weak reply, Djoker was CRUSHING THEM!

Fed will still go down as the best ever though, no one plays the game quite like he does.

No need to feel 'sorry', he's got 7 already :)

Hell of a final. Djokovic's service was on point as was his return, although it felt as though there was a higher-than-average unforced-error percentage in this match.

Fed snuck away with that second set tbh. They both seemed to be playing excellent shots like clockwork back and forth until they made an unforced error or a poor play and the other play exploited it immediately.

I was surprisingly un-upset about Federer losing, but it was certainly a fun way to spend my sunday morning.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 11:37:41 AM by sleepyguy »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2015, 01:16:52 PM »
The second set was thrilling.

Susan

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2015, 03:13:48 AM »
Love it that Serena won! Only 7 more weeks until the US Open! :)

PARedbeard

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2015, 07:11:02 AM »
At least there is the Tour and the Ashes to hold us over until then!