Author Topic: Why watching TV is a bad thing? How many hours you watch per day?  (Read 9679 times)

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
So I'm 32 male, "generally" happy human being. I've been becoming time aware and tracking how I spend the day. It looks like I spend 3 to 4 hours per day on weekdays watching TV. Weekends its like 6 to 7 hours per day. Is that really bad? I do spend time with my family and don't seem to miss anything there. Family feels the same way. I'm not an outdoorsy person...books are boring for me...don't like to do frequent trips. Other than office, I only go out for shopping groceries or friends homes for some birthday celebrations etc.  I really love to watch movies, TV shows and so all these hours are going on Netflix.

That said there is always some guilty feeling in my head that I'm wasting my time and this wonderful life. I try to come out of it and spend time learning for my career but that doesn't go well.

May I know what you guys do in your free time - after work, sleep and family time. How many hours do you watch TV guilt free?

Laserjet3051

• Pencil Stache
Re: Why watching TV is a bad thing? How many hours you watch per day?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 08:14:21 PM »
On average,  i watch about 30 min of TV per day, 7 days per week. None of it is associated with any feelings of guilt. I'm a very busy guy, though when i have down time i usually fill it with exercise, sports, or reading. Repeat, very little down time.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 08:28:04 PM »
TV as an activity is bad, because you sit there are doing nothing, your brain is just being passively stimulated, and your muscles are wasting away.  It is the least calorie burning activity known to man; you burn more calories sleeping or even just sitting there reading or meditating (Yes, studies have shown that you burn more calories sitting and meditating vs sitting and watching tv.)

TV as a medium is bad because you're being fed content designed to stimulate your dopamine centers, without any active effort from you.  This is akin to a drug, and your brain starts to crave these dopamine hits that cost you nothing, and it develops into an addiction like behavior. 

TV is bad from a MMM perspective because it costs you money, in terms of electricity, time, opportunity cost, subscriptions (cable, hulu/netflix, etc).  Though compared to most hobbies it probably ends up costing way less in hourly rate of entertainment.  It's mostly the opportunity cost it sucks up.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 08:42:18 PM »
So I'm 32 male, "generally" happy human being. I've been becoming time aware and tracking how I spend the day. It looks like I spend 3 to 4 hours per day on weekdays watching TV. Weekends its like 6 to 7 hours per day. Is that really bad? I do spend time with my family and don't seem to miss anything there. Family feels the same way. I'm not an outdoorsy person...books are boring for me...don't like to do frequent trips. Other than office, I only go out for shopping groceries or friends homes for some birthday celebrations etc.  I really love to watch movies, TV shows and so all these hours are going on Netflix.

That said there is always some guilty feeling in my head that I'm wasting my time and this wonderful life. I try to come out of it and spend time learning for my career but that doesn't go well.

May I know what you guys do in your free time - after work, sleep and family time. How many hours do you watch TV guilt free?

I think you can argue that a certain amount of TV is ok, or even a positive thing, but 3-4 hours sounds like a lot. How much free time do you have? What percent of your available free time is spent watching TV?

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 09:37:36 PM »
I don't have anything constructive to add, but I am flabbergasted at the idea that anyone has 3-4 hours of free time on weekdays and 6-7 on weekends.  I think my life is pretty chill, all things considered, but tonight was my off night for exercise and I had laundry and dishes to do, dinner to cook, mail to deal with, and a bunch of other life stuff to take care of.   I took 10 minutes to check the MMM forums and stumbled across this. 

Back to chores...

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 12:42:12 AM »
I'm a minority in that I think as long as you really are watching things you enjoy, and it's not negatively affecting any other part of your life or your health, then go forth. I don't see watching television or movies, especially quality stuff, as any different than going to the theater, except one feels more upper class.  Maybe it's because I live in LA, but for so many people I know, television and especially movies are legitimately their #1 hobby, topic of discussion, and often even their job to have a deep knowledge of movies and tv.  It's a legitimate art form that many, many people take very seriously, and involves serious criticism and discussions about society, history, art, etc.

If you are watching stuff I subjectively consider to be garbage (I dunno, Fox News, Girls Gone Wild, Daniel Tosh, golf), then sure, I'll gently suggest you use your time better.  But your time is your time, your life is your life.  As long as it isn't actually being used as an excuse to avoid your real life, or hurting anyone else, enjoy yourself.  You won't hear me giving you a hard time about it.

ETA: I have a busy job so many if not most nights I watch zero.  If I have a free weekend, I could easily spend 5-6 hours per day watching TV - calm down folks, I also clean my house, exercise, and do other things.  On the rare weeknight I have time, I'll watch 1-3 hours.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:44:35 AM by bridget »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 03:00:22 AM »
OP I've never owned a TV but grew up with them in the house. For me as for many the internet has replaced TV consumption, and I spend more time on it than is good for me. But I also get out a lot to cultural events, hiking and swimming at the beach, activities that give a physical and mental perspective not possible from a screen.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 09:02:46 AM »
I'm a minority in that I think as long as you really are watching things you enjoy, and it's not negatively affecting any other part of your life or your health, then go forth. I don't see watching television or movies, especially quality stuff, as any different than going to the theater, except one feels more upper class.  Maybe it's because I live in LA, but for so many people I know, television and especially movies are legitimately their #1 hobby, topic of discussion, and often even their job to have a deep knowledge of movies and tv.  It's a legitimate art form that many, many people take very seriously, and involves serious criticism and discussions about society, history, art, etc.

I am part of your minority!  I too see nothing wrong with watching TV and I seek out good stuff, like movies, documentaries and interesting shows.  I also love sports, so there's that :).  I spend plenty of time doing non-screen stuff and I think as long as you aren't ignoring family/friends/obligations then I say go for it.

As far as how much time...well, I like sports and it is football/hockey/basketball/baseball playoffs season, so...

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 10:06:48 AM »
I don't see a problem watching TV moderately if that doesn't interfere with other aspects of life like doing chores, working, exercising, socializing, learning new skills, etc. With that in mind I'm not sure if watching 27-34 hours of TV per week leave much time for anything else if you work a full time job.

Pretty much all the TV that I watch is while doing other things that don't require concentration. So I frequently do the dishes, cook and exercise while watching something on youtube/netflix. In a typical work day I watch perhaps about 1h or 1,5h of TV, guilt free. And I only watch TV after my son went to bed. I feel guilty watching TV while he's awaken be it because I prefer/have to spend time with children related stuff, or because I feel watching TV might be a bad example for him.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »
I see television as passive entertainment.  There's nothing wrong with pursuing some passive entertainment for a short period each day.  If the biggest chunk of your day is spent watching television this is a bit more worrisome though . . . because it's starting to seem an awful lot like escapism and avoiding reality (which can be habit forming).  Spending 7-8 hours in a day watching television destroys your ability to produce and create, to improve your personal fitness, and to do the myriad of chores and tasks that we each need to do.

I personally could not watch 20 hours of television a week and stay in good shape, play my instrument, be there for my kid, do chores around the house, get groceries, go to the library, spend time with my wife, spend time with my friends, do improvements and work on projects, etc.  There's just too much other stuff taking priority.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:20:01 AM by GuitarStv »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 10:18:37 AM »
3-4 hours on weekdays and 6-7 on weekends is a ton.  What are you actually watching?

GF and I stay "current" with a good amount of shows, but there's usually only 2-3 max on at the same time, so that's maybe two hours a week, plus a little bit of "binging" once in a while when we find something good and have the downtime.  Currently The Good Place and Better Call Saul are on, and I would argue both are the absolute cream of the crop in comedy and drama respectively.  We are in the age of "Peak TV" but even now 90% of it is basically trash, and another 9% is flat mediocre and not worth your time.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »
I see television as passive entertainment.  There's nothing wrong with pursuing some passive entertainment for a short period each day.  If the biggest chunk of your day is spent watching television this is a bit more worrisome though . . . because it's starting to seem an awful lot like escapism and avoiding reality (which can be habit forming).  Spending 7-8 hours in a day watching television destroys your ability to produce and create, to improve your personal fitness, and to do the myriad of chores and tasks that we each need to do.

+1, especially to the bolded part.

Watching TV is not particularly challenging, and thus should be enjoyed somewhat sparingly. If you're not challenged you're not growing, learning, and improving. 

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »
We watch about 10 hours per week.   No OTA or stuff with commercials.

Hah.  We also like Good Place and Saul.

I suppose we could cut back, but its not really bothering us.

Almost universally.....everything in moderation (including work!)

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 11:04:25 AM »

I think you can argue that a certain amount of TV is ok, or even a positive thing, but 3-4 hours sounds like a lot. How much free time do you have? What percent of your available free time is spent watching TV?

My evening times are usually free from 5 PM to 10 PM. I do simple cooking and talk with family during that time...but the majority is on TV. I have signed up for a course (100% employer sponsored which is worth $900) and there is a lot to learn with all the new technologies but that seems to be a lot of effort for me. I am simply not doing that needs to be done in that area. TV is the default option I settle in. I wanted to reduce TV time but it is becoming a challenge. I think about all of this in the morning but go to the default behavior in the evening.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »
From the number of times I turn up in the TV and movie recommendation threads, you can probably tell that I am not an anti-screen person!

I think a lot of the blanket condemnations of TV go back to a time when, frankly, most of TV was pretty cruddy. Now that some of the streaming services are providing older series, I have gone back to watch things I enjoyed as a teen and have been shocked at how bad much of it is. These days, there's still plenty of crud, but also programs which are as good in the writing and acting as anything in the New York theater...and you can actually see the actors' faces instead of being stuck at the back of a big theater! And the cost-to-time ratio is awfully good compared to a lot of other leisure activities. I also like it, honestly, because it can be something innocuous to talk about in a world where current events and people's personal lives can easily be too touchy to make conversation about.

I tend to watch TV at times when I wouldn't be doing much useful stuff anyway--in the morning before work, or at dinnertime (I live alone). Or I do a crossword or play a game on my tablet, with the TV as sort of a live-action audiobook in the background. So maybe a couple hours a day, and more on the weekends, when I usually watch a movie with dinner and an episode or two of something with lunch. It's pretty rare that I sit down and just watch a show...only for things like "The Handmaid's Tale" where the actors do so much subtle acting that you miss a lot if you don't pay attention. A big concern is the opportunity cost...if you're doing that, what aren't you doing? Outside of mealtime viewing, if I'm going to watch something I will usually ask myself if there's something else I could be doing. Sometimes, TV is all I'm up for!

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 11:08:15 AM »

If you are watching stuff I subjectively consider to be garbage (I dunno, Fox News, Girls Gone Wild, Daniel Tosh, golf), then sure, I'll gently suggest you use your time better.  But your time is your time, your life is your life.  As long as it isn't actually being used as an excuse to avoid your real life, or hurting anyone else, enjoy yourself.  You won't hear me giving you a hard time about it.

ETA: I have a busy job so many if not most nights I watch zero.  If I have a free weekend, I could easily spend 5-6 hours per day watching TV - calm down folks, I also clean my house, exercise, and do other things.  On the rare weeknight I have time, I'll watch 1-3 hours.

I don't watch the news because that is mostly garbage. My interests are in drama, comedy, thriller movies or series which has to lighten me up. I really enjoy great performances in acting, story telling etc. In fact I don't have a TV subscription, just the Netflix.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 11:10:33 AM »

My evening times are usually free from 5 PM to 10 PM. I do simple cooking and talk with family during that time...but the majority is on TV. I have signed up for a course (100% employer sponsored which is worth $900) and there is a lot to learn with all the new technologies but that seems to be a lot of effort for me. I am simply not doing that needs to be done in that area. TV is the default option I settle in. I wanted to reduce TV time but it is becoming a challenge. I think about all of this in the morning but go to the default behavior in the evening.

Go TV free (including watching videos on the internet) for a week and see how it feels.  Initially you'll find that you're very bored, but by the end of the week I bet you start finding more productive ways to spend your time.  If you are unable to go without television for a week, then start thinking long and hard about the hold that this device has on your mind and life.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 11:11:32 AM »
I watch maybe 1 hour (or 1 50 minute episode or two 20 minute episodes) of something per day, on average. My husband probably watches even less, unless we watch something together (working our way through a Netflix season or something). We don't have an antenna or cable now, and we had cable for a few months earlier this year and I used it to binge watch HGTV while I recovered from surgery and then obsessively watched the World Cup. As soon as the WC was over, we went down to watching nothing, just went back to our Netflix stuff. So we cut the cable after three months--wasn't worth it. I also get my news from print sources for the most part, some podcasts, and occasionally the CBS news app on the AppleTV, but otherwise it stresses me out too much to engage for too long and for too late in the evening.

I spend a lot of time in the evenings practicing hobbies or whatever else needs to get done--reading, music, podcasts, and my husband is similar in that he will paint or read or study languages or whatever. Before my surgery, we were also gym regulars. If I want background sound while I'm cleaning or whatever, I turn on Pandora on the AppleTV and have the pretty screen savers to look at while I relax.

I guess if you have time to get everything accomplished that you need to--cooking, cleaning, exercise, etc. then that much television isn't super bad (and maybe on the weekends it's sports? Football games are looooong so I could see watching a couple of those would be time consuming). But I'd see about other hobbies that might be of interest.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 11:12:27 AM »
From the number of times I turn up in the TV and movie recommendation threads, you can probably tell that I am not an anti-screen person!

I think a lot of the blanket condemnations of TV go back to a time when, frankly, most of TV was pretty cruddy. Now that some of the streaming services are providing older series, I have gone back to watch things I enjoyed as a teen and have been shocked at how bad much of it is. These days, there's still plenty of crud, but also programs which are as good in the writing and acting as anything in the New York theater...and you can actually see the actors' faces instead of being stuck at the back of a big theater! And the cost-to-time ratio is awfully good compared to a lot of other leisure activities. I also like it, honestly, because it can be something innocuous to talk about in a world where current events and people's personal lives can easily be too touchy to make conversation about.

I tend to watch TV at times when I wouldn't be doing much useful stuff anyway--in the morning before work, or at dinnertime (I live alone). Or I do a crossword or play a game on my tablet, with the TV as sort of a live-action audiobook in the background. So maybe a couple hours a day, and more on the weekends, when I usually watch a movie with dinner and an episode or two of something with lunch. It's pretty rare that I sit down and just watch a show...only for things like "The Handmaid's Tale" where the actors do so much subtle acting that you miss a lot if you don't pay attention. A big concern is the opportunity cost...if you're doing that, what aren't you doing? Outside of mealtime viewing, if I'm going to watch something I will usually ask myself if there's something else I could be doing. Sometimes, TV is all I'm up for!

So, what I'm not doing? I'm not doing much to advance my job skills. I'm doing the same thing for years. I would like to learn new stuff but as you know I do it for some time...then fall back on TV completely. I'm having consistency problem in everything.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »
I personally could not watch 20 hours of television a week and stay in good shape, play my instrument, be there for my kid, do chores around the house, get groceries, go to the library, spend time with my wife, spend time with my friends, do improvements and work on projects, etc.  There's just too much other stuff taking priority.

Makes sense. I'm overweight for sure & not learning anything new for a long time. I don't have a lot of friends, that's a different story. Family (including the extended) is everything for me and I do spend a good amount of time with them. Reading all these replies I see where I've got to go. I need to cut off at least 75% of my TV time. That feels like a lot to do.

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 11:23:28 AM »

So, what I'm not doing? I'm not doing much to advance my job skills. I'm doing the same thing for years. I would like to learn new stuff but as you know I do it for some time...then fall back on TV completely. I'm having consistency problem in everything.
Since your TV habits are bugging you, it must be a problem.

You can't know what you don't know.

I personally wouldn't want to spend my free time learning work-related things...I'm not all that interested in what I do!

However, there are countless hobbies/interests/etc that are out there.  Start trying some!  You don't have to commit to anything if you don't like it.

You won't really know until you try though.

So start trying

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2018, 11:29:04 AM »

Go TV free (including watching videos on the internet) for a week and see how it feels.  Initially you'll find that you're very bored, but by the end of the week I bet you start finding more productive ways to spend your time.  If you are unable to go without television for a week, then start thinking long and hard about the hold that this device has on your mind and life.

OK. Thanks. It looks like a very big challenge for me, especially with weekend approaching. Let me explore and see. I will come back with the results and document here to make myself committed and accountable.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2018, 11:50:08 AM »
Or I do a crossword or play a game on my tablet, with the TV as sort of a live-action audiobook in the background. So maybe a couple hours a day, and more on the weekends, when I usually watch a movie with dinner and an episode or two of something with lunch. It's pretty rare that I sit down and just watch a show...only for things like "The Handmaid's Tale" where the actors do so much subtle acting that you miss a lot if you don't pay attention. A big concern is the opportunity cost...if you're doing that, what aren't you doing? Outside of mealtime viewing, if I'm going to watch something I will usually ask myself if there's something else I could be doing. Sometimes, TV is all I'm up for!
I disagree with this mindset.  I can't stand the TV being on if I'm not 100% paying attention to it.  It's either on or it's off.  I'm either watching it, or I'm doing something else.  If it's worth watching, it's worth actually paying attention to properly.  Only exception would be if GF was watching something and I wasn't, but rarely will one of us watch something on our own if we're both home.

The "TV as background noise" crowd drives me batty if I visit and the TV is in the corner screaming garbage while nobody is paying attention to it.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2018, 12:05:24 PM »
Or I do a crossword or play a game on my tablet, with the TV as sort of a live-action audiobook in the background. So maybe a couple hours a day, and more on the weekends, when I usually watch a movie with dinner and an episode or two of something with lunch. It's pretty rare that I sit down and just watch a show...only for things like "The Handmaid's Tale" where the actors do so much subtle acting that you miss a lot if you don't pay attention. A big concern is the opportunity cost...if you're doing that, what aren't you doing? Outside of mealtime viewing, if I'm going to watch something I will usually ask myself if there's something else I could be doing. Sometimes, TV is all I'm up for!
I disagree with this mindset.  I can't stand the TV being on if I'm not 100% paying attention to it.  It's either on or it's off.  I'm either watching it, or I'm doing something else.  If it's worth watching, it's worth actually paying attention to properly.  Only exception would be if GF was watching something and I wasn't, but rarely will one of us watch something on our own if we're both home.

The "TV as background noise" crowd drives me batty if I visit and the TV is in the corner screaming garbage while nobody is paying attention to it.

It's a little different when you live alone and if it's going to be that way for a long time. When you have no one to talk in the home, that stupid noise from TV starts participating in your day and you don't feel much alone. I know its wasting electricity, can call a friend etc, but that's not possible all the time like 9 PM in the night....

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2018, 12:31:26 PM »

It's a little different when you live alone and if it's going to be that way for a long time. When you have no one to talk in the home, that stupid noise from TV starts participating in your day and you don't feel much alone. I know its wasting electricity, can call a friend etc, but that's not possible all the time like 9 PM in the night....

Do you ever listen to the radio? I listen to music if I'm doing something noisy like working in the kitchen or to a podcast if I'm doing something quiet where I can actually hear the people talking. I'm with ketchup on the passive TV, drives me crazy thinking of the body language and action that I might be missing.

Also curious, do you have intentions of "retiring" early? If so, do you have a plan for what you would do with even more free time? ignore this. Probably better to think about the present first.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:38:08 PM by Dabnasty »

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »
Zero.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2018, 12:36:58 PM »

OK. Thanks. It looks like a very big challenge for me, especially with weekend approaching. Let me explore and see. I will come back with the results and document here to make myself committed and accountable.

It sounds like you've made up your mind that you at least want to try out reducing TV time and I agree with GuitarStv, it's good to go cold turkey even if it's just for a few days just to see how it affects you.

It's not necessarily easy though. I would suggest making plans to do something else rather than just planning to not watch TV. Once your time is filled with something else it'll be 10:00 before you know it and you won't even have time for TV. If you want us to hold you accountable start by telling us what you'll be doing instead.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:38:41 PM by Dabnasty »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2018, 12:43:20 PM »
Y'all talk like it's impossible to do anything else while the TV is on. I do most of my TV "watching" when folding laundry, ironing, hand sewing and knitting. Before we moved, I had a clear view of the TV from the kitchen and so it would often be on while I was making dinner and I could watch things while I was machine sewing at the dining room table. We used to host a weekly anime night where our friends would come over and we would watch probably 3-4 hours of  "tv" and chat about it.
Caveat, I don't have kids and my nights my husband gets home from work several hours after I do so the house can feel very empty and silent without something on.
What do you watch while doing something else that requires your eyeballs part-type like folding laundry or knitting? I'm legitimately curious.  The only thing I could see myself watching in a situation like that would be something I've already seen before, and half paying attention really means I'm just rewatching the highlights.

I do enjoy podcasts in situations like that where I'm doing a fairly repetitive mindless process like cooking, changing my oil, or separating out 30lbs of goat trim into 2lb bags.  But podcasts are audio-only, so I can keep my eyes on what I'm doing without missing anything.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:46:01 PM by ketchup »

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2018, 12:47:38 PM »
Also curious, do you have intentions of "retiring" early? If so, do you have a plan for what you would do with even more free time?

I love my job, it pays well, have a very good team and there is a lot of scope for me. So not going to retire for the next many years (at least 8 to 10 years).

When I become FI, I really don't want to do anything full time....I'd rather try a part-time teaching opportunity and also travel to different (and cheap) places in the world. I do have a bucket list :) I wanted to stay with my whole family, relatives close by.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
It's not necessarily easy though. I would suggest making plans to do something else rather than just planning to not watch TV. Once your time is filled with something else it'll be 10:00 before you know it and you won't even have time for TV. If you want us to hold you accountable start by telling us what you'll be doing instead.

Ah, ok. I will have to do the online course that I've signed up for last week. It needs at least 10 hours per week for the next several weeks.
I have some pending home projects - smaller ones like the sealant for tiles etc. I have to sell a bunch of items in craigslist which I'm not using anymore. I have to sleep more. I have to exercise more...the list is getting bigger as I'm thinking about all of this :)

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2018, 01:03:39 PM »

I don't watch the news because that is mostly garbage. My interests are in drama, comedy, thriller movies or series which has to lighten me up. I really enjoy great performances in acting, story telling etc. In fact I don't have a TV subscription, just the Netflix.

I agree that watching 'tv' in and of itself isn't a bad activity, as long as you are watching quality material and doing so with some engagement.  I was a huge film buff in my youth...  I considered it a main hobby and watched a movie or filmed theater or concert most nights of the week, was our high school newspaper film reviewer, worked at video stores on and off through high school and college. Considered majoring in it in college, though quickly decided not to. 

For the past 15 years or so, I no longer watch so many movies, but DH and I do watch movies or tv most nights while eating dinner, so that's usually 20 min-1 hour/day, most days (we rarely make it through an entire movie in one night).  Sometimes we talk instead, or listen to podcasts or audio books while eating.  The tv literally never is turned on except for this window of time, or occasionally to watch a weekend football game.   Again, b/c this is consciously chosen time and specific material, it feels like an appropriate amount to us.  We're fine with zero tv/screen time on trips, etc.

What I dislike, is that when we are very stressed or busy, we will sometimes default to 20 minutes watching a repeat South Park or Archer episode while eating dinner, just b/c it's 9 pm and we're brain-fried at the end of the day.  On those occasions, it feels like a lazy 'default' activity b/c it IS.  Those days, we aren't engaging, we're just occupying our eyes and ears with something for the half an hour before bed as our brains are shutting down. 

I'm trying to get more in the habit of choosing to read a book while eating on those types of days.  But even that seems like a lot of effort some nights (esp b/c our jobs involve reading and editing much of the work day).

I'm curious what other people do while eating dinner besides reading or watching something?  Just eating and staring into space isn't a very pleasurable way to finish the day for us. 

Bottom line for me is, viewing itself isn't a 'bad' activity, but when it feels too 'passive' or more than an hour per day I tend to start questioning it and looking for alternatives.  YMMV

ETA...I note the OP also asked about free time/hobbies in general.  That is somewhat of a different issue for me b/c I associate tv/movies ONLY with dinner-time (apart from the very occasional 'going out to the movies or theater' thing).  Finding hobbies to fill free time IS a problem for DH and me, and we struggle with it, so I do relate to the OP on that general point.  Our hobbies have always been outdoor oriented and most aren't do-able where  we've lived for the past 18 years.  It SUCKS unbelievably.  But on the other hand, we haven't done a great job of trying to develop new hobbies to fill that huge gap and as a result, we just spend 80% of our lives working.  Which also sucks.  It's an ongoing problem.  It got so bad (we were down to just a handful of 'free hours' every few weekends) that I actually started looking up lists of hobbies we could try so as to something, ANYTHING other than work.  But nothing stuck for us apart from the main hobby that each of us does (him: music, me: gardening).  And we only want to do those hobbies for a couple hours per week.  So we developed a 'gym habit' that takes up an hour or two most days of the week.  We enjoy that, to some extent.  But still, I wish we could figure out how to have more of what I used to think of as 'fun' on weekends.  So I sympathize with the OP on that. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 01:26:08 PM by wenchsenior »

PoutineLover

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2018, 01:31:49 PM »
Most of the time when I eat dinner I sit at the table with my partner and have a conversation with him. Sometimes if I'm eating alone I'll watch something or read. In general I think I watch at least some tv most days, and I'll occasionally binge a season in a weekend, but I try not to do that too often. TV isn't inherently bad, but too much or the wrong kind is. There are some really idiotic things out there that waste your time and brain capacity, and commercials are mostly repetitive garbage. I think it's important to be mindful of TV consumption and make sure its not taking away from other important activities, and if it is, to adjust the habit and replace it with something more productive or fulfilling.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2018, 02:22:56 PM »
TV is a slippery slope.

As a parent with a spouse and 2 kids, and now battling round 2 of head lice this year, I don't have much time for TV!

TV, and related things like tablets with games or social media, fall into the category as "something I do when I'm fucking exhausted".  Usually when my brain is so tired I literally cannot bring myself to crochet something or read a book.  Unfortunately, sometimes I feel this way and I still have to suck it up and help the kids with homework.

I enjoy a bit of TV, but I probably only get to see 20-60 minutes at a time, a couple of days per week.  On the weekend, maybe we'll watch a movie or I'll watch a bit more.

My schedule:
Up at 5 usually, go work out most days (3/5).  Get home, prep lunch and breakfast and wash every veggie known to man. 
Drop kids at school
Work 9 to 6
Get home and eat dinner
During dinner we try to talk.  Sometimes the devices are out but we are really trying to no do that.
7 pm chores (dishes, etc.)
Then homework time.  Small child has 10 minutes of homework and 20 minutes of reading.  His bedtime is 8:30 pm.
Larger child has more (self directed) homework.
Bed time is 9 for him and for me.

I could watch more TV, but given the choice, I'd rather have the hour long workouts, the time spent prepping my food, time helping the kids with homework, and SLEEP.  I prefer 8-8.5 hours a day, when my body capitulates.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2018, 02:31:15 PM »
Y'all talk like it's impossible to do anything else while the TV is on. I do most of my TV "watching" when folding laundry, ironing, hand sewing and knitting. Before we moved, I had a clear view of the TV from the kitchen and so it would often be on while I was making dinner and I could watch things while I was machine sewing at the dining room table. We used to host a weekly anime night where our friends would come over and we would watch probably 3-4 hours of  "tv" and chat about it.
Caveat, I don't have kids and my nights my husband gets home from work several hours after I do so the house can feel very empty and silent without something on.
What do you watch while doing something else that requires your eyeballs part-type like folding laundry or knitting? I'm legitimately curious.  The only thing I could see myself watching in a situation like that would be something I've already seen before, and half paying attention really means I'm just rewatching the highlights.

I do enjoy podcasts in situations like that where I'm doing a fairly repetitive mindless process like cooking, changing my oil, or separating out 30lbs of goat trim into 2lb bags.  But podcasts are audio-only, so I can keep my eyes on what I'm doing without missing anything.

Usually, either basic dramas, or reality TV. I know what whisking looks like, I don't need to watch every second of it on the Great British Baking Show. When it comes time to show off and judge the finished products, I put down what I am doing and watch. If the handsome firefighters are heroically rescuing someone from a burning building, I will give them my eyeballs. WHen they're standing around arguing about their girlfriends, I can do a few crossword answers and just listen. Basically, I watch the visually interesting parts. Also, since I live alone, I have no compunction about rewinding if I miss something. I would drive a partner crazy, I'm sure, and when I do watch something with other people, I usually don't multitask.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »
Usually, either basic dramas, or reality TV. I know what whisking looks like, I don't need to watch every second of it on the Great British Baking Show. When it comes time to show off and judge the finished products, I put down what I am doing and watch. If the handsome firefighters are heroically rescuing someone from a burning building, I will give them my eyeballs. WHen they're standing around arguing about their girlfriends, I can do a few crossword answers and just listen. Basically, I watch the visually interesting parts. Also, since I live alone, I have no compunction about rewinding if I miss something. I would drive a partner crazy, I'm sure, and when I do watch something with other people, I usually don't multitask.

I do the same thing.  Not every second of a show needs my eyes, so I do something else while the mundane parts are on and when the action heats up I pay attention.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2018, 03:59:51 PM »

I do the same thing.  Not every second of a show needs my eyes, so I do something else while the mundane parts are on and when the action heats up I pay attention.
I guess that's just where it breaks down for me.  I wouldn't leave a movie theater during a movie, and I wouldn't skip random pages in a book.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »
I can't stand the TV being on if I'm not 100% paying attention to it.  It's either on or it's off.  I'm either watching it, or I'm doing something else.  If it's worth watching, it's worth actually paying attention to properly.  Only exception would be if GF was watching something and I wasn't, but rarely will one of us watch something on our own if we're both home.

Likewise. Intently watching or it's off. I find background TV, especially the commercials, really annoying and distracting.

I once shared a hotel room with buddy only to discover he "couldn't sleep without the TV on". He doesn't know how close he came to being murdered that night.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2018, 05:44:29 PM »

I once shared a hotel room with buddy only to discover he "couldn't sleep without the TV on". He doesn't know how close he came to being murdered that night.

your last line was hilarious :D :D

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2018, 08:25:36 PM »
TV Diet Day 1:
Had only 30 minutes  TV time during dinner. Watched a Netflix show - one episode.
It was a little challenging. As soon as I came from my office, made Tea, ate a cookie, did some stretches, cooked meal (quantity for 2 days). I was browsing this forum for a while but spent most of my time in Project 1 which is building my own customized FI workbook. I did the investments numbers today. I guess it will take 2 more days for me to complete other sections. I will also be spending time on parallel Project 2 which is learning my Machine Learning/Python Course.  I did my lesson one today.

Overall good day, satisfied.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2018, 08:35:34 PM »
TV Diet Day 1:
Had only 30 minutes  TV time during dinner. Watched a Netflix show - one episode.
It was a little challenging. As soon as I came from my office, made Tea, ate a cookie, did some stretches, cooked meal (quantity for 2 days). I was browsing this forum for a while but spent most of my time in Project 1 which is building my own customized FI workbook. I did the investments numbers today. I guess it will take 2 more days for me to complete other sections. I will also be spending time on parallel Project 2 which is learning my Machine Learning/Python Course.  I did my lesson one today.

Overall good day, satisfied.

This is great!

If you need background noise to concentrate (some people do), sometimes a noise like rain falling can help: https://noises.online/

Or podcasts, or audiobooks (libraries often have these you can download for free), if you like the sound of human voices. I like to listen to podcasts while I cook, for example, since I'm usually alone when doing that (husband works later). And if I'm alone at other times, I'll turn on music.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2018, 09:14:57 PM »
Honestly, watching TV at all seems really weird to me. I grew up without one, occasionally watched the Simpsons with the rest of the dorm when in college, and then never owned one as an adult. The last time I watched TV was when I took my learn-to-play-hockey coach (ye gods, am I bad at hockey!) out for dinner and watched part of the Stanley Cup finals a few months ago - but there was probably a 6 month gap between that and whatever I watched before that, which I can't even remember at this point. Maybe a football game with neighbors? But I think that was over... who knows.

That said, if you're not passionate about anything in particular, and not interested in learning/doing new stuff... I guess watch TV. It sounds like it bothers you to watch so much, though, so maybe it's time to just put the TV out on the street with a free sign and go learn to play hockey (or join a book club, or a crossfit gym, or ... anything at all) If you don't like one activity, move on to something else. There are tons of activities for active/intelligent adults happening in the evening all over your town, you just have to go find them.

-W

One

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »

I think you're watching too much but I like tv too.  We have netflix, prime, and hulu. We get our wifi from the neighbors. The shows are a thousand times better than the old school tv shows.  High castle, Peaky Blinders, 11.22.63, Castle Rock, and on and on. The best part is no commercials, watch on your own schedule, high definition, big screen, unlimited high quality content. Why waste money on going out to movies when you can watch better content at home. Also if you're at home you're not driving around wasting gas, eating out and spending money. We eat dinner together and then sit together in the evening, the kid might be on youtube, wife maybe checking FB, and I'm watching a show. We watch far less in the summer but it's nice in the winter when it's constantly raining and the days are short.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2018, 10:53:10 AM »

I think you're watching too much but I like tv too.  We have netflix, prime, and hulu. We get our wifi from the neighbors. The shows are a thousand times better than the old school tv shows.  High castle, Peaky Blinders, 11.22.63, Castle Rock, and on and on. The best part is no commercials, watch on your own schedule, high definition, big screen, unlimited high quality content. Why waste money on going out to movies when you can watch better content at home. Also if you're at home you're not driving around wasting gas, eating out and spending money. We eat dinner together and then sit together in the evening, the kid might be on youtube, wife maybe checking FB, and I'm watching a show. We watch far less in the summer but it's nice in the winter when it's constantly raining and the days are short.

Yep...I am realizing that I was watching too much TV. I am day 2 of TV diet, so far it's going well. Will report how it went end of the day :)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »
At this time of the year, the only thing I watch on TV is Formula 1 racing, so maybe a couple of hours every two weeks, on average.

I like to watch World Cup skiing during the winter months, and I'll watch the Tour de France in the summer.

Anything that has commercials gets recorded so that I can skip them.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2018, 08:35:18 PM »
TV Diet Day 2:

Today I worked from home which usually means a lot of TV (at least 8 hours). Bu today was different. Spent less than an hour on the TV (in total)..only during lunch, snacks, and dinner.  It feels like a long day but made good progress in project 1 (customized FI sheet) and project 2 ( ML & Python course). Feeling exhausted now, so going early to bed. (an hour early than a usual Friday).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2018, 07:02:53 AM »
I find that less TV (particularly at night) means I sleep much better.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2018, 07:29:47 AM »
feels like a long day but made good progress
That's a marker of a satisfying day.  Much more satisfying than giggling at Brooklyn Nine-Nine all day (just an example, not slamming the show; it's fucking great).
I agree.  Even if I stay up later for a different reason, it doesn't have the same effect as late night TV.

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2018, 09:26:41 AM »

I slept like a baby last night. Might be because of less TV experience and making my brain work a lot more :). Over 10 hours of solid sleep. Good for a weekend I think.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 09:45:44 AM by FamilyGuy »

FamilyGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »
feels like a long day but made good progress
That's a marker of a satisfying day.  Much more satisfying than giggling at Brooklyn Nine-Nine all day (just an example, not slamming the show; it's fucking great).
I agree.  Even if I stay up later for a different reason, it doesn't have the same effect as late night TV.

I agree. :)

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2018, 10:59:03 AM »
Congrats on your first few days of your TV diet @FamilyGuy ! Have you thought of incorporating some exercise into your post workday schedule?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!