Author Topic: Why do you drink coffee?  (Read 6612 times)

alexboy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Why do you drink coffee?
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2017, 05:23:48 AM »
I love coffee flavor!

ditkanate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • ditka's dumb journal
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2017, 09:06:01 AM »
Cuz I likes it.  Also take 2 Benadryl every morning for allergies, and the coffee cancels out the sleep inducing side effects. 

SharkStomper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2017, 08:59:53 PM »
Because they assign me labels if I drink whiskey at 8 AM.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2017, 12:34:56 PM »
Because I still work (12-16 hr days) and remaining alert is a matter of survival. I never drink coffee at home and won't drink it again after I retire.
5 Simple Apartment Hacks Behind my $39 Utility Bills http://www.minimallynerdy.com/2017/05/05/39-dollar-utility-bills/

msmarieh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Married woman on a journey to FI
« Reply #104 on: May 28, 2017, 01:00:20 PM »
I've never ever been a coffee drinker. I can't even stand the smell of it, much less the taste.

I am a chocolate/sweets addict, with hot chocolate being my drink of choice. Since I don't even like tiramisu or mocha cake or coffee ice cream, I am quite certain I will never have a desire for coffee and I can't say I particularly care. LOL ROFL I have never had a wish to develop a taste for it.

CupcakeGuru

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: May 28, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »
Coffee = Nectar of the Gods!!!!!

My co-worker bought me this and hung it in my office

Paul der Krake

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #106 on: May 28, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »
It's free. If you drink it at work, that is.

I can count on one hand the number of times I have paid for coffee in the last 10 years. They all involved some sort of grueling travel itinerary that required caffeine for me to stay awake.

Rosy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2017, 08:02:10 PM »
Love coffee - smell and taste:) Enjoy the ritual of a cup of coffee first thing in the morning, with minimal cream and sugar. Black on occasion.
Usually one or two cups - sometimes a cup in the afternoon.
We have a Ninja coffee bar, occasionally use my Italian mocha/espresso pot.
I grind my own beans and switch off between different brands.

Fudge102

• Stubble
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2017, 08:33:52 PM »
I joined the Navy.

Do I really need to say more?

tavore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #109 on: June 01, 2017, 02:44:26 PM »
I never drank coffee until I figured out immersion cold brewing. Now, DW claims I've spoiled her for any other coffee.

For those who dislike the taste but love the smell, try a making a cold brew yourself. It's very smooth, much less acidic, and can even make the crappiest beans taste expensive. All you need is a mason jar and coarse-ground coffee, a funnel, a couple of pieces of paper towels to filter it out while decanting, and 12-16 hours of brewing time. My magic ingredient is jaggery. I put in just enough to balance any lingering acidity, but not so much that it feels sugary. Add some cream, or raw ground chocolate, and it tastes like heaven!

I limit myself to one cup in the morning. I usually don't need caffeine to feel awake. The aroma always puts me in a much better mood.

cacaoheart

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2017, 02:54:32 AM »
I started drinking a big 20 ounce mug of coffee that was half milk and lots of sugar with my dad at age 7. Around age 13 I got into yoga and fasting, and switched to just drinking water and green tea for the next several years. Then at 24 my now-wife got me a french press because she likes the smell of coffee but doesn't drink much herself.

8 years later I drink mostly aeropress or french press at home, and have 2 moka pots, a yama vac pot stove brewer (gift from a friend, I find it's better for making black tea), turkish coffee pot, and chemex filters that I mostly use with a canning funnel for straining cold brew. I have 3 grinders, first a cheap blade grinder that now mostly gets used for grinding spices, a modified hario manual burr grinder that's good for when I want to grind quietly or without power, and for the last few years I've used a baratza encore burr grinder. Espresso interests me but I'm not sure if/when I'll make the jump to a $500+ grinder and $1000+ machine.

I used to bring my own coffee to work, but lately the new machine there has been good enough that I can drink theirs black, so I now have one less thing to bring with me. At home I have 1-3 cups of coffee per day, typically followed by tea throughout the day. I tend to have medium roasts black or add a teaspoon of sugar and an ounce of milk or cream to a good dark roast. Frothing the cream and sugar before adding the coffee makes it something my wife loves stealing from me. We have 30+ bags and jars of looseleaf tea, with lots of oolong, black, and some green, white, and pu-erh. Most tea is perfect with nothing added. My wife loves going to the local tea shop. Right now she's on a mission to try all their oolongs, and I'm enjoying the adventure.

I tried roasting some green beans from Sweet Marias with a stove top popcorn roaster but for now am sticking with Trader Joes/Whole Foods at $7-10 per pound, going through ~a pound every 10 days. I can have a cup then take a nap, but rarely will I do much in the morning before I've had a cup or two. I enjoy the flavor and process. It probably doesn't make me much more alert at this point.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:57:27 AM by cacaoheart »

Little Aussie Battler

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2017, 03:53:49 AM »
Two young kids and an employer who frowns on me falling asleep at my desk.

Although I've significantly reduced my intake, and now have 1-2 espresso's from the office kitchen instead of buying 5-6 double macchiato's from the coffee shop downstairs.

Tetsuya Hondo

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2017, 08:39:27 AM »
One day if I become super spendy, I will still drive a 10+ year old car, but my kitchen will have a $500 coffee grinder and a la pavoni espresso machine. Hey my cup is empty!

Buy a used La Pavoni Europiccola on eBay. They rarely need more than a light cleaning and new gaskets to keep them going for decades. Get an Orphan Espresso hand grider, like the Lido. You can spend less than $500 for both and use them for the rest of your life.