Author Topic: Who will be our second walrus?  (Read 144927 times)

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
Who will be our second walrus?
« Reply #250 on: June 01, 2017, 07:39:23 PM »
Me neither! Welcome, Dicey, G, 63!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
Re: Who will be our second walrus?
« Reply #251 on: June 05, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »
Since "Walrus Stache" appears to be sticking, I would suggest "Ultimate Flowing Lip Locks" or some variation thereof for a yet-higher level.  ;)

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #252 on: June 05, 2017, 09:13:22 PM »
The highest level of mustache is no mustache at all.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #253 on: June 05, 2017, 09:38:22 PM »

Very zen.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2017, 04:39:00 AM »
Check.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: June 07, 2017, 06:26:10 PM »
It is only after we have shaven everything that we are free to begin new bristling.

-Smiler Burden

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #256 on: September 20, 2017, 10:28:15 PM »
Wow there are now 23.  Prospector is nearing 10k ... will there be a new category?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #257 on: September 20, 2017, 11:02:52 PM »
Wow there are now 23.  Prospector is nearing 10k ... will there be a new category?

I don't think there is currently, but I could add something.

Or combat the post inflation by bumping up the stache levels. ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #258 on: September 21, 2017, 06:11:27 AM »

well take it from someone who's observed it first-hand, too many walruses in one spot just stink up the place. Once there's more than a handful all they do is lie around defecating and fighting amongst each other.

...hmm, maybe too late for that. Time for another culling.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #259 on: September 21, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »

well take it from someone who's observed it first-hand, too many walruses in one spot just stink up the place. Once there's more than a handful all they do is lie around defecating and fighting amongst each other.

Are you suggesting... the ban wheel of fortune?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #260 on: September 21, 2017, 04:27:59 PM »

Are you suggesting... the ban wheel of fortune?

Carousel

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #261 on: September 21, 2017, 04:35:02 PM »
Wheel! Of! Walrus!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #262 on: November 07, 2017, 08:34:29 PM »

I've probably just been oblivious, but is the title "Senior Mustachian" for you and Prospector new?  I don't much care for it, as it breaks the chain of cool mustache-based titles.  (And we all know that the opinion of one random member is terribly important, haha.)  I would like to suggest a different title:
"Inca Tern Stache"

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #263 on: November 07, 2017, 09:09:13 PM »

I've probably just been oblivious, but is the title "Senior Mustachian" for you and Prospector new?  I don't much care for it, as it breaks the chain of cool mustache-based titles.  (And we all know that the opinion of one random member is terribly important, haha.)  I would like to suggest a different title:
"Inca Tern Stache"

Seconded.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #264 on: November 08, 2017, 12:07:50 AM »
Plus, senior mustachian should be solely based on signup date.  It should come with tenure and a pension.  No consideration of post quality allowed.

We should have annual forum awards.  Some can be from stats like “most time wasted on his forum” and “most posts this year” and others we can vote for like “most likely to retire” and “best contributor”.  Could have flair for the winners

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #265 on: November 08, 2017, 12:18:09 AM »
TENURE??? PENSION??? How does that fit FIRE???

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: November 08, 2017, 04:57:43 AM »
I am hastily trying to get to 5000 before the goalposts are moved again lol.

Next thing you know we'll need 50,000 for Walrus stache. I'll be here till I'm 75 trying doggedly to reach that...

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #267 on: November 08, 2017, 07:11:39 AM »
Plus, senior mustachian should be solely based on signup date.  It should come with tenure and a pension.  No consideration of post quality allowed.

We should have annual forum awards.  Some can be from stats like “most time wasted on his forum” and “most posts this year” and others we can vote for like “most likely to retire” and “best contributor”.  Could have flair for the winners

Seconded.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #268 on: November 08, 2017, 07:40:56 AM »
I'm not big on popularity contests.

It's why the forum has disabled the karma type stuff where people can upvote their friends and you can see who is the most popular. Meh.

Good posts can come from someone with 100 posts or 10000.

YMMV. :)

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #269 on: November 08, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »

It's why the forum has disabled the karma type stuff where people can upvote their friends and you can see who is the most popular. Meh.

"Your Mustache May Vary. :)"

A+ for no voting.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #270 on: November 08, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
A+ for no voting.

Damn, now if there was only some way I could record and track this A+!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #271 on: November 08, 2017, 12:14:55 PM »
A+ for no voting.

I vote that both these comments be stricken from the lack of record.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: November 08, 2017, 12:25:23 PM »
A+ for no voting.

Post it to the "Best thing I heard..." thread!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #273 on: November 08, 2017, 11:59:36 PM »

The side effect of that is that post count is now the de facto “karma”

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #274 on: November 09, 2017, 01:48:26 AM »
You think so? Because of this thread?

There's plenty of people with high post counts that I see as exactly that--posting a lot. And others with sub-1000 posts that I respect a lot.

I also probably read way more posts than most people though (less so now than in years past, but still a lot).

You read a lot too though, DC, so it surprises me to hear you say that.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #275 on: November 09, 2017, 11:32:39 AM »
Or 26,648 and counting. ;-)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #276 on: November 09, 2017, 11:40:57 AM »

How much can you really trust ARS's posts?  He won't be born for another thousand years. . .

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #277 on: November 09, 2017, 12:12:03 PM »

How much can you really trust ARS's posts?  He won't be born for another thousand years. . .

My hindsight is 20,000/20,000.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #278 on: November 09, 2017, 02:48:44 PM »
You think so? Because of this thread?

There's plenty of people with high post counts that I see as exactly that--posting a lot. And others with sub-1000 posts that I respect a lot.

I also probably read way more posts than most people though (less so now than in years past, but still a lot).

You read a lot too though, DC, so it surprises me to hear you say that.

I'm not saying high post count equates to quality.  Most of my posts are throw-aways.  I'm saying that right now there is only one "metric" provided under the username, and yes per this thread a lot of people are interested in "leveling up".  If there was another metric displayed, there would be an alternative goal to the "game".  And thus, you can choose which behaviors you encourage.

I'm also not saying everyone is obsessed only with post count, but this kind of gamifying stuff has a subconscious impact, which is used by the likes of app writers and marketers to change behavior at a population-level (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamification)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:52:13 PM by dragoncar »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #279 on: November 09, 2017, 02:54:21 PM »
Totally.

Post count is helpful to tell when someone is brand new though (especially for fighting spam).

Ideally any post count over some arbitrary number we decide (200?) would just show as "X+" (.e.g 200+). And then anything below that you'd see.

If I get inspired later, I'll look to see if there's an SMF plugin for that.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #280 on: November 09, 2017, 02:59:48 PM »
Totally.

Post count is helpful to tell when someone is brand new though (especially for fighting spam).

Ideally any post count over some arbitrary number we decide (200?) would just show as "X+" (.e.g 200+). And then anything below that you'd see.

If I get inspired later, I'll look to see if there's an SMF plugin for that.

I think there's a sweet spot where someone has been around long enough to really get the forum style, but is still super engaged in the minutia and analysis.  Maybe around 100-2k posts.  After that, from personal experience, engagement can drop off because you've basically analyzed everything you want to analyze and said everything you want to say.  This was referenced in another thread I can't recall, but I know I certainly haven't been doing my share responding to case studies and all the great new threads.  I've been mostly stuck in the "unreadreplies" bubble for a few years, which is a shame because I know I'm missing out on many new viewpoints and ideas.  Ironically, I had more time to spend on the forum when I was at work, or maybe I needed the escape more.

That's related to why I mentioned tenure and a pension.  I feel like a the old guy in the office that doesn't do much anymore but hasn't been fired because he's been there forever.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 03:01:42 PM by dragoncar »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #281 on: November 09, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »
I've been mostly stuck in the "unreadreplies" bubble for a few years, which is a shame because I know I'm missing out on many new viewpoints and ideas.  Ironically, I had more time to spend on the forum when I was at work, or maybe I needed the escape more.

Ditto to both of these.

I don't know what will happen once BrooklynGuy retires.

brooklynguy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: November 09, 2017, 03:07:13 PM »
I don't know what will happen once BrooklynGuy retires.

I can't wait until I'm retired and no longer have time to keep up with the forum, like you guys.

Edited to add:  Truth be told, I'm already in a bit of an "unreadreplies bubble" myself (mostly due to the explosive growth of the forum, which makes it impossible to keep up with at any rate).  But, post-retirement, I expect (or at least hope!) to fully escape the forum's gravitational pull.

Funny how we already discussed this very subject, in this very thread, before dragoncar had retired and just after rebs did.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 03:24:00 PM by brooklynguy »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #283 on: November 09, 2017, 03:40:23 PM »

Funny how we already discussed this very subject, in this very thread, before dragoncar had retired and just after rebs did.

You see?  At this point I'm just repeating myself, forgetting what I said, and saying it again.  I feel like I'm just saying the same thing over and over again.  You see?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #284 on: November 09, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »
We'll need an old folks home subforum.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #285 on: November 09, 2017, 04:01:16 PM »
We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. I didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #286 on: November 09, 2017, 04:10:36 PM »
Youse guys are killing me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #287 on: November 09, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »
We can't bust heads like we used to. But we have our ways. One trick is to tell stories that don't go anywhere. Like the time I caught the ferry to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for m'shoe. So I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. I didn't have any white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

was this back in nineteen dickety two?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #288 on: December 30, 2017, 07:58:43 PM »
I got here eventually. I'm fucken exhausted. Fingers need to rest here a while.

And now you tell me I'm only halfway to the next club??

Dammit. 5 more years lol. I hope to be FIRE with $2m banked by then.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #289 on: December 30, 2017, 09:11:04 PM »

Are you going for overkill?

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: December 31, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »

HOW DID I MISS THIS???

@marty998, we should have had an extra drink last night to celebrate!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:28:33 PM by mustachepungoeshere »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: December 31, 2017, 08:09:10 PM »

Are you going for overkill?

Going to need $2m net assets... unfortunate but I think that'll be the number. At this point can't see how I can do it for less with $600k trapped in the apartment and $150k in super.

That leaves $1250k for the FIRE stash... seems reasonable enough.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #292 on: January 01, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »

HOW DID I MISS THIS???

@marty998, we should have had an extra drink last night to celebrate!

Don’t worry guys, I had several extra drinks last night to celebrate for everyone

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #293 on: January 01, 2018, 01:47:33 PM »
Thank you, dragoncar, and congratulations, Marty!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #294 on: January 09, 2019, 10:54:24 AM »
Whaaaahhh????
When did we get a "Senior Mustachian" category that's above "Walrus"??!

Congrats @G-dog, @GuitarStv, @Le Poisson for reaching that milestone... or something.

@RetiredAt63 seems to be the front-runner to join this particular pinnacle of internet time-wasting.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #295 on: January 09, 2019, 11:03:38 AM »
At some point I became a walrus stache. Who knew making dirty jokes would bring me such a prestigious title?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #296 on: January 09, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »
Quite a few walri already. Or is it walruses?

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #297 on: January 09, 2019, 11:09:10 AM »
At some point I became a walrus stache. Who knew making dirty jokes would bring me such a prestigious title?
Didn't you reach it once before but then regress when you deleted your journal(s)? 

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #298 on: January 09, 2019, 11:11:31 AM »
Quite a few walri already. Or is it walruses?

Walruses.  Just like Octopuses (really).  You only pluralize with 'i' when the root word is of latin origin.   Walrus, apparently, is Norse -> Dutch.

snacky

• Senior Mustachian
  • Forum Dignitary
« Reply #299 on: January 09, 2019, 11:15:45 AM »
Didn't you reach it once before but then regress when you deleted your journal(s)?

Maybe? I don't recall. Walruses come and go. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!