Poll

Who exactly are the COVID vaccine skeptics?

Simply Anti Vaxxers
5 (4.3%)
Anti Vaxxers + politically right individuals
12 (10.3%)
Anti Vaxxers + politically left individuals
1 (0.9%)
Anti Vaxxers + far right individuals
11 (9.4%)
Anti Vaxxers + far left individuals
2 (1.7%)
Anti Vaxxers + Super smart and well researched individuals
0 (0%)
Anti Vaxxers + both right & left extremes
9 (7.7%)
Everyone actually wants the vaccine
1 (0.9%)
A hodge podge of people that is too hard to distinguish
32 (27.4%)
Something else (please specify)
6 (5.1%)
Anti Vaxxers + it's happening too fast-ers (not politically affiliated)
38 (32.5%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: Who exactly are the COVID vaccine skeptics?  (Read 20928 times)

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
Who exactly are the COVID vaccine skeptics?
« on: November 30, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
I am starting to see a bunch of COVID vaccine skepticism, and I am confused as to who exactly these people are.  I've seen it here on this forum, I see it in my news feed almost every day and I am now reading about demonstrations by activist groups in my county, every US state, Canada and Australia.  I have seen polls that say 40+% of people seem to not want to take the COVID vaccine if approved and available. 

I cannot tell if it's just the usual anti-vaxxers, possibly the usual anti vaxxers plus a whole bunch of people who lean one way or the other politically, maybe some really smart people who know more than the scientists, or just some random assortment of people who are skeptical that are too difficult to put in a box.  Sometimes I can swear it's people who lean right for their reasons (COVID is a hoax, this is just Bill Gates' master plan, it's just the common cold / flu, they can't tell us what to do!, etc.), and I other times I swear it's people who lean left for their reasons (Trump cannot be credited for a "win" by fast tracking, we said it was going to take a long time and now we seem wrong, this should happen on Biden's watch, etc).  Help me wrap my head around what's going on here... shouldn't the world be thrilled that we have the ability to vaccinate for this pandemic?  What is the most likely the makeup of this group?

JetBlast

• Bristles
Re: Who exactly are the COVID vaccine skeptics?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 09:55:29 AM »
I think it’s a mix of anti-vaxxers, people that think COVID is a hoax, and people who are concerned that the vaccine is rushed and may have at this time unknowable long term side effects.

The third group is making a reasonable argument, and perhaps with more education about the development process and what’s in the vaccine would choose to get it.  Not sure what can be done about the first two groups to convince them to get vaccinated.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 09:55:59 AM »
The only reason I've heard from "real" people (that I actually know) is that they don't trust a vaccine that was developed so fast, and can't believe that it will be safe because we've bypassed all the safety measures.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 10:01:40 AM »
The only reason I've heard from "real" people (that I actually know) is that they don't trust a vaccine that was developed so fast, and can't believe that it will be safe because we've bypassed all the safety measures.

Are those who say it was developed too fast left or right on the spectrum, or mixed?  I tend to hear that more from the left... but not sure if that's just in my circles.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 10:07:04 AM »

Are those who say it was developed too fast left or right on the spectrum, or mixed?  I tend to hear that more from the left... but not sure if that's just in my circles.

I hear the same, and I hear it from all across the political spectrum.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 10:11:52 AM »

I hear the same, and I hear it from all across the political spectrum.

Ok, I have added and option for "Anti Vaxxers + It's happening too Fasters (not politically affiliated)".  And I think I may have invented a new phrase at the same time ha ha

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 10:12:28 AM »

I have no idea - I don't tend to talk politics with my friends.  I'd guess most are right in the middle.  Some are right-leaning.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 10:27:56 AM »
I have no desire to be first in line for a vaccine because of the rapid development.  That works out because as someone who isn't high risk I wouldn't be able to be first in line anyway. 

Once the high risk individuals all have a 90+% effective vaccine then it's less about lowering the risk to society as a whole and more about comparing the risk of Covid to me personally vs the potential side effects from a vaccine to me personally.  At this point, I'm leaning towards getting a vaccine at some point but not immediately. 

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 10:31:19 AM »
Qanon; a health-conscious, enviro left winger we know went this route.

Also, vaccine hesitants may be older adults (our friends 55+) who aren't sure new technology (mRNA) will prove safe for whole population over long-term (remembering thalidomide etc.), or who don't understand prior work on similar vaccines (SARS, ebola etc), safety protocols not skipped for speed, but removing funding / grant application cycles, company trade-offs for profitability and doing parallel manufacturing due to purchase guarantees gains a lot of speed overall.

FTR, I tend to be hesitant because I'm awaiting broader info on ADE, may have had virus early in year (but no good serology tests available), and can easily isolate longer / am in a lowish risk group...

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 10:32:41 AM »
I have no desire to be first in line for a vaccine because of the rapid development.  That works out because as someone who isn't high risk I wouldn't be able to be first in line anyway. 

Yep. By the time I'm due for the vaccine, we'll know if there are any longish-term adverse reactions.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 10:41:52 AM »
Not an anti-vaxxer, not a covid disbeliever.........won't be getting a vaccine until there is more research, time to see the side effects, longer term impact. Call me a skeptic that for profit companies aren't cutting corners to get something to market asap.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 10:44:27 AM »
If it's true that "happening to fast-ers" are not politically affiliated, it's going to be really awkward at these anti vaccine rallies coming up to have equal representation from the left and right all rallying for the same thing... does that ever happen?  Are we sure this stance is non partisan?  I really want to go to one just to see if there is actually open carriers / MAGA hats and (insert political left stereotype here) living and chanting in harmony...

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 10:47:20 AM »
Not an anti-vaxxer, not a covid disbeliever.........won't be getting a vaccine until there is more research, time to see the side effects, longer term impact. Call me a skeptic that for profit companies aren't cutting corners to get something to market asap.

Aren't those three of the corner stones of anti vaxxers though?  Concerns about side effects, long term impact, and being skeptical about for profit companies?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 11:39:21 AM »
People worried about mRNA vaccines, and their storage requirements, can ask for the Oxford vaccine which is more traditional tech and refrigerator storage, not freezer or extreme freezer temps.  I'm hoping to go Oxford half dose/whole dose/booster, the test results are excellent.  I should be in round 3 (age) after essential workers (including grocery store workers and the whole food distribution group as well as all health care and emergency services workers), and the really vulnerable.

The North American MMR vaccine seems to give some cross protection from the mumps portion.  I never had symptomatic mumps although my sister had it when we were both kids.  I'm so tempted to ask to get a booster for it.

ericrugiero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 11:39:59 AM »
If it's true that "happening to fast-ers" are not politically affiliated, it's going to be really awkward at these anti vaccine rallies coming up to have equal representation from the left and right all rallying for the same thing... does that ever happen?  Are we sure this stance is non partisan?  I really want to go to one just to see if there is actually open carriers / MAGA hats and (insert political left stereotype here) living and chanting in harmony...

There are a wide range of beliefs from both the right and left end of the political spectrum.  My guess is that more of the "wait and see" or "definitely not getting the vaccine" folks are politically conservative.  But, there are probably a decent amount of liberals who will also wait.  After all, being skeptical of for profit companies is a cornerstone of liberals, right? 

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 11:40:53 AM »

Aren't those three of the corner stones of anti vaxxers though?  Concerns about side effects, long term impact, and being skeptical about for profit companies?

I guess they could be but are not the anti vaxxers opposing all vaccines?

I am currently in the too fast lane but I am not first in line so in 6-7 months when it is my turn we should have a pretty good idea of the side effects and then it might be a nonissue. I am not skeptical in general about for profit companies because there are procedures for approval. I am more sceptical if those are followed as normally.

I have basically taken all vaccines available because I like to travel and prefer not to get some bug as a souvenir. Before a trip to a area of malaria I actually tried one of the more popular malariadrugs and got side effects so I had to change the preventive medecine.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 11:45:26 AM »
In regards to it being developed "too fast" I found these graphics from the NTY to be really informative. They show that steps in the process weren't actually skipped, but several steps were completed simultaneously with others, particularly the steps like "building factories". They've also still gone through all 3 clinical trials, they've just overlapped them instead of having a set end of the first before starting the second, etc.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 12:21:09 PM »
I'm kind of neutral on it myself, but it seems like there's some concern about immunity not lasting very long due to the nature of COVID. I can still see the value of it for people who would die or be really harmed by catching it, but as a healthy person with no risk factors, I don't really see myself going to the doctor's office every few months and exposing myself to all the sick people there every single time just to avoid what would basically be a bad cold for me. If it was one shot and done, sure, no problem.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 12:30:55 PM »
I am in the, would like to get vaccine but I don't want to be one of the first groups getting it. Does that make me pro vaccine or too fast vaxxers? I think that once the high risk groups are vaccinated, no or minimal side effectsvare seen,  that a greater number of people will be in line to get the vaccine.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 12:33:17 PM »
I'm kind of neutral on it myself, but it seems like there's some concern about immunity not lasting very long due to the nature of COVID. I can still see the value of it for people who would die or be really harmed by catching it, but as a healthy person with no risk factors, I don't really see myself going to the doctor's office every few months and exposing myself to all the sick people there every single time just to avoid what would basically be a bad cold for me. If it was one shot and done, sure, no problem.
even the flu shot is not done that way. Have to get it annually to have benefit. It's possible covid vaccine might need to be every 6 months. Some people go to the dentist every 6 months. I don't like it, but it's good for my health.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 12:45:08 PM »
In regards to it being developed "too fast" I found these graphics from the NTY to be really informative. They show that steps in the process weren't actually skipped, but several steps were completed simultaneously with others, particularly the steps like "building factories". They've also still gone through all 3 clinical trials, they've just overlapped them instead of having a set end of the first before starting the second, etc.

Those are somewhat misleading graphics.

Parallelism can definitely reduce some of the wait for a new vaccine . . . but the graphics you're showing don't indicate the fact that the stage III trails are being radically shortened over normal procedure.  Stage III trials typically last 1-4 years (https://www.clinicaltrialsandme.com/resources/how-long-do-clinical-trials-take.html, https://www.antidote.me/blog/how-long-do-clinical-trial-phases-take, etc).  That's just for the trials, on their own.  Covid stage III trials are being done in a matter of months.  This is typically the stage where long term effects of the vaccine are uncovered.

(This is assuming that a vaccine is completed phase III clinical trials before it is being distributed . . . and the US has said it will begin distributing in Jan.  The parallelism timeline simply doesn't add up.  Phase III vaccine tests could not have started Jan of last year before there was acceptance of a real problem.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 12:56:39 PM by GuitarStv »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 12:47:02 PM »
even the flu shot is not done that way. Have to get it annually to have benefit. It's possible covid vaccine might need to be every 6 months. Some people go to the dentist every 6 months. I don't like it, but it's good for my health.

I don't get the flu shot either. I generally stick with only getting vaccines for things that will kill me or fuck me up badly. I go to the dentist every six months, but I sure as shit wouldn't if the only consequence of not going was I might get essentially a bad case of the flu. Again, this is as a person with no risk factors or exposure to vulnerable people, so no applicable to everyone.

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 12:58:25 PM »
Unless researchers never check back in on the phase I/II/III subjects during the "building factories" phase, these charts seem a bit disingenuous.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 01:50:38 PM »
I won't be in the first groups offered the vaccine. When it is an option for me, I plan to ask my doctor. I would hope that someone in the large group of medical professionals will have read all the studies and figured out who should/should not get the vaccines, known potential side effects, etc. Assuming it's ok, I would like to not have to worry so much about covid.

There's a chance my mom legit can't get the vaccine. My dad may/may not have had a poor reaction to the flu shot, it's really hard to tell because they at least haven't communicated what happened. But they associated an issue with the flu shot at least, so they're hesitant. And very uninformed though they think they aren't.

I understand the worries about the fast turnaround. I also have serious worries about long term effects of getting covid. There's risk either way, so you need to judge the risk of getting a new vaccine vs. getting covid.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2020, 02:09:27 PM »

Why would the "happening too fast-ers" attend a rally?  These are people who are looking at what's going on, deciding it's not for them right now, and opting out.  They don't have anything to rally over.

I thought we were going to be able to get it at pharmacies, like the flu vaccine?  Nothing I have heard locally about distribution indicates that I'll have to go sit in a doctor's office, but I guess we'll see what happens when it's my turn (I'll be in the last group anyway).

I'm planning to get the vaccine (after reading all the available information/talking to my doctor).  Even though I'm healthy with no risk factors, I have a younger friend who got it (also healthy with no risk factors), and now might have heart damage for the rest of her life.  I'd like to do my best to prevent that possibility for myself.

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2020, 02:33:26 PM »
My wife and I are able to WFH and continue sheltering in place for the foreseeable future, so we are not rushing to get the vaccine. Our plan is to get the vaccine once it’s available to us and several regulatory agencies from different nations have approved it for distribution. I think that safeguards us from any concerns about rushed clinical trials.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2020, 02:42:32 PM »
So, I know two people who do not work for the drug companies but do have jobs where they are very informed about this vaccine development. (One of the works at NIH.) Both feel that there have not been corners cut. The “template” for this vaccine was already developed and as soon as they had the DNA sequence, in January, they could start trials. Manufacturing is underway. Test flights have been made for shipping.

Which vaccine is available to you will depend at least at first on where you live, because the infrastructure is in place for certain vaccines to go to different areas.

I am pretty comfortable with this. I’d roll up my sleeve tomorrow.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2020, 06:46:41 PM »

I don't get the flu shot either. I generally stick with only getting vaccines for things that will kill me or fuck me up badly. I go to the dentist every six months, but I sure as shit wouldn't if the only consequence of not going was I might get essentially a bad case of the flu. Again, this is as a person with no risk factors or exposure to vulnerable people, so no applicable to everyone.

Immunity to SARS and MERS, which are very similar corona viruses to the Covid-19 virus, is still present in people who had those viruses.  So the likelihood is that immunity will be long-lasting.

I expect that down the road this will be one more childhood vaccine.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 07:22:47 PM »
I'll probably be in one of the first groups after health care workers and high-risk folks to get the vaccine, so I'll let you all know what happens!

There's a difference between "wait and see" and "never ever, vaccines are the devil!"  The former will sit at home, while the latter will be out on the streets screaming.  It would be an interesting Venn diagram of political affiliation and opinions on the vaccine. You've got never-vaxxers in both parties, probably have "too sooners" in both parties, and a hefty population of "it's a Dem hoax, and you're oppressing me!" on the right.  It would be funny to see a bi-partisan anti-vax rally when on any other occasion those two groups would be at each other's throats.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2020, 07:28:49 PM »
Is everything really that partisan in the US that it's unheard of to have a bipartisan protest?

Like, absolutely nothing brings both sides together? That's a totally alien concept?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2020, 07:33:54 PM »
Is everything really that partisan in the US that it's unheard of to have a bipartisan protest?

Like, absolutely nothing brings both sides together? That's a totally alien concept?

Very rare, and pretty much unheard of since Obama was elected. A number of Republicans have run on the very idea that they would never compromise.

MrUpwardlyMobile

• Pencil Stache
    • The Upwardly Mobile Life
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2020, 08:09:40 PM »

It’s uncommon.  The political divide has been progressively more pronounced and continues to become more pronounced.  I trace the modern vicious divide to Senate Democrats breaking a lot the norms with the Robert Bork nomination for Supreme Court in 1987.  It was so bad, it literally resulted in the term “borked” becoming a way to express what happened. Since then, we’ve seen an increasingly ad hominem and vicious escalation for decades.  This escalation has led to a generation of Americans growing up believing vicious partisanship is normal.  Our political elites behavior has become instilled in the behaviors of people all over.

Mind you, Americans easily come together on local issues.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2020, 09:37:54 PM »

Very rare, and pretty much unheard of since Obama was elected. A number of Republicans have run on the very idea that they would never compromise.

McConnell's position of running the Senate was predicated on him being a pain in the ass to the Democrats. Trump went into this campaign riding high on calling Democrats 'terrorists' and 'the enemy.' Most Republicans in the past were content just implying it.  Biden hasn't taken office yet, but now that it looks certain, the far-right Republicans are already beating the drum that the world is about to end because this Democrat is about to do Democrat things.  You see more ads describing why the other side sucks than why your idea is better.  Our political system has morphed into division being a prerequisite for getting elected. Reaching across the aisle gets used against you during election season if what you did wasn't an absolute home run hit for your side.

9/11 brought us together, but that only lasted about a year when the focus shifted to Iraq.  I can't think of any particular issue where we have common ground across political lines.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2020, 09:46:11 PM »
In my circles, the vaccine skeptics are people on the left that don't trust a vaccine approved in such a quick fashion by Trump's FDA.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2020, 09:54:57 PM »

My reply to this would be that SARS-CoV-2 is a relatively known risk now. You are trading off a very real risk with a hand-wavey maybe risk. Also, Oxford has been working on their vaccine for years. Do you really think that Oxford is trying to fuck you?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2020, 11:26:33 PM »
FWIW:

---------------------------------------

Long term effects of the COVID19 vaccine.
Lots of concern about this. And justifiably so given this is a new type of vaccine. Here is some vaccine history and why, at least, I’m not concerned about long term effects. I hope this helps you make a data informed decision.
The mRNA vaccine technology (I’ll call it biotechnology) is not new for COVID19. We were able to get to this point quickly because this vaccine has been in the making for years. It was first developed during the 2003 SARS outbreak. Scientists were able to adjust the vaccine they had been creating back then (vaccine development stopped when funding ended) to prime it specifically for COVID19. In addition, various companies have tried to make mRNA vaccines over the last 5 years (mostly for Ebola, Zika, rabies and HIV, but also for cancer and allergies). Many, many non-COVID related randomized control trials are going on as we speak.
The biotechnology has never been approved by the FDA before. It’s NOT because the past mRNA vaccines have been deemed unsafe. It’s because past mRNA vaccines haven’t been very effective. One of the main issues has been figuring out a way to get the vaccine to the cells effectively. mRNA breaks down VERY quickly, so it needs to be transported by something. Finding that something has been a challenge. As I mentioned yesterday, though, scientists tried fat bubbles for COVID19. These have worked seemingly well.
A mRNA vaccine is actually safer for us compared to traditional vaccines. mRNA vaccines are not made up of the actual pathogen. This means that, unlike traditional vaccines, they don't contain weakened, dead, or noninfectious parts of a virus. They contain only the instruction manuals to tell cells how to fight COVID19. They are not produced using infectious elements. Also, because RNA quickly degrades in the body, it cannot insert itself into human DNA (since it cannot reverse transcribe itself). Unlike DNA vaccines (there are currently no DNA vaccines approved for human use, but there are many in clinical trials and there are some approved for veterinary medicine) mRNA does not enter a cells nucleus and so there is no potential for integration into the host DNA.
While we do not currently have long term data, based on our knowledge of RNA, we do not expect long term side effects. But, as much as it kills me, I cannot say, with 100% certainty, that latent side effects won’t pop up in a few years. The main side effects expected are the short term side effects caused by the fat bubbles. We know the mRNA doesn’t cause the short term side effects because we tested these fat bubbles on primates without the mRNA in them and saw the same exact side effects.
Knowing all that...
I will be getting the vaccine as soon as its my turn. I have confidence in the science and I have confidence in the thousands of people that have been working on this biotechnology for the past decade. I will get it for myself and the greater good. And, honestly, I’m more concerned about the possible long term organ damage done by COVID19 infection than any expected risk from the mRNA vaccines.
Love, YLE
Data Sources:
I consulted a few sources for the majority of this information. Most importantly... two brilliant fellow followers who work in medical education and biosafety at the National Institute of Health. I also found this site very informative: https://www.phgfoundation.org/briefing/rna-vaccines

---------------------------------------

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2020, 04:22:00 AM »
The thing is that those too-fast people (which include me) are not going to any rally as long as you don't try to make vaccination mandatory (right from the start) for everyone which won't happen anyway since there is not enough.
The chance that something really bad turns up in a year or so is very small, so I am not very concerned about it, but with medicine and vaccines, everything can happen. And has in the past. So I won't rush. But I will get it eventually when my turn comes around (probably the last batch of people except children) and this virus is still a thing by that time.

I do have a bit of a problem with e.g. nurses or teachers. For them the risk/profit calculation is a lot better towards the vaccine than for e.g. me working home office and not being a type to meet people, so I have been basically a shut in for most of the time (does not mean I don't go for a walk, just meetings with several people are rare, worst risk is shopping)

I thought we were going to be able to get it at pharmacies, like the flu vaccine?  Nothing I have heard locally about distribution indicates that I'll have to go sit in a doctor's office
I think in most countries you don't get shots at a pharmacy. But there have been dicussions here (Germany) to allow it. The personal still would need the training/permission for it, which seems unlikely since they never needed it before. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 04:30:12 AM by LennStar »

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2020, 05:38:40 AM »
I thought we were going to be able to get it at pharmacies, like the flu vaccine?  Nothing I have heard locally about distribution indicates that I'll have to go sit in a doctor's office
I think in most countries you don't get shots at a pharmacy. But there have been dicussions here (Germany) to allow it. The personal still would need the training/permission for it, which seems unlikely since they never needed it before.

In the US, we can get flu shots at the pharmacy.  I think earlier in the pandemic, pharmacies were given emergency authorization to give some childhood vaccines also, to avoid delays in vaccination schedules.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2020, 07:21:50 AM »
In Ontario (Canada) we can get flu shots at a pharmacy, but public health sets up clinics that can handle many people.  I got my flu shot last week at a clinic set up by Ottawa Public Health.  Of course everything was spaced out because of Covid, and we were all masked and there was hand sanitizer everywhere.  Appointments were at 20 minute intervals, there were 12 stations for vaccination once your paperwork was done, and widely separated wait stations for the 15 minutes after vaccination.  It worked really smoothly.  For me it was preferable to going to a pharmacy where the main focus is not on vaccinations.  I've had my flu vaccine at pharmacies before, but this year a clinic was my preferred  choice.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2020, 07:24:55 AM »
For those worried about going to the doctor for this, I got my flu shot from my pcp in October and was exposed to far fewer people than if I had gone to a pharmacy.  I made an appointment ahead of time, and upon arrival you have to call the reception desk from outside the office.  They ask you screening questions and then allow you in when they are ready for you.  There was no one else in the waiting room and I went in directly to have the shot administered.  The whole thing took less than ten minutes.  I saw only the reception desk staff and the doctor administering the shot.  We all wore masks.  There was no waiting around like you usually have to do in a pharmacy or Costco etc.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2020, 07:26:38 AM »

College Football. Maybe...

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2020, 08:28:52 AM »
In my circles, the vaccine skeptics are people on the left that don't trust a vaccine approved in such a quick fashion by Trump's FDA.

This is interesting because this is also my experience, hence why I suggested it as the "left's" sentiment in the original post.  That's also why I am fascinated that I am hearing people think that's a non-partisan opinion.  I thought the Anti Vaxxers + Left / Far Left covered this sentiment, but I am interested to see that hardly anyone is choosing that and instead the Anti Vaxxers + It's Happening too fast-ers (non partisan) is getting all the votes.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2020, 08:45:18 AM »

This is interesting because this is also my experience, hence why I suggested it as the "left's" sentiment in the original post.  That's also why I am fascinated that I am hearing people think that's a non-partisan opinion.  I thought the Anti Vaxxers + Left / Far Left covered this sentiment, but I am interested to see that hardly anyone is choosing that and instead the Anti Vaxxers + It's Happening too fast-ers (non partisan) is getting all the votes.

The FDA under Trump's administration did at one point say that they were fine with skipping the phase III trials entirely and just giving people the vaccine on a wing and a prayer.  That doesn't engender confidence in safety.

John Galt incarnate!

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2020, 08:57:50 AM »
I am starting to see a bunch of COVID vaccine skepticism, and I am confused as to who exactly these people are.  I've seen it here on this forum, I see it in my news feed almost every day and I am now reading about demonstrations by activist groups in my county, every US state, Canada and Australia.  I have seen polls that say 40+% of people seem to not want to take the COVID vaccine if approved and available. 

I cannot tell if it's just the usual anti-vaxxers, possibly the usual anti vaxxers plus a whole bunch of people who lean one way or the other politically, maybe some really smart people who know more than the scientists, or just some random assortment of people who are skeptical that are too difficult to put in a box.  Sometimes I can swear it's people who lean right for their reasons (COVID is a hoax, this is just Bill Gates' master plan, it's just the common cold / flu, they can't tell us what to do!, etc.), and I other times I swear it's people who lean left for their reasons (Trump cannot be credited for a "win" by fast tracking, we said it was going to take a long time and now we seem wrong, this should happen on Biden's watch, etc).  Help me wrap my head around what's going on here... shouldn't the world be thrilled that we have the ability to vaccinate for this pandemic?  What is the most likely the makeup of this group?

I haven't paid much attention to vaccine skeptics but as of now my sense of them is that they are disparate  so I voted for  A hodge podge of people that is too hard to distinguish.

BudgetSlasher

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2020, 09:15:48 AM »
The subset of people I talk to who are hesitant about a vaccine are all down to the timeline. I suspect that is a biased sample ... people who are anti-vax or this it is a hoax, for those reasons or others, are probably people I don't have serious conversation with all-too-often.

The folks I have talked to are mostly in the center/center-left/center-right. For them it all comes down to how fast the vaccine was developed and therefore the lack of long term data. Some of them would rather wait for another vaccine produced with a method with a longer track record; their concern is centered around a vaccine method that has never been approved before and the earliest trials that they have mentioned date only to 2017.

Most of them acknowledge that a vaccine is the only or only good way through the pandemic. Some of them seem torn because they recognize that if everyone waits a vaccine will have no impact on the course of events.

None of them are going to avid the vaccine forever. And some of them are going to get it as early as they can, despite their concerns. Some are more concerned about Covid rates in their area or their risk factors, others think due to their age they are less likely to live to see long term issues, and then a couple are going to get it because well it is the best way past this outbreak and that needs enough people.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2020, 09:19:53 AM »
I’m curious as to how we’ll be notified when we can get it. If you’ve got high risk factors do you get some sort of ticket to take to the vaccine clinic?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2020, 09:32:58 AM »
The subset of people I talk to who are hesitant about a vaccine are all down to the timeline. I suspect that is a biased sample ... people who are anti-vax or this it is a hoax, for those reasons or others, are probably people I don't have serious conversation with all-too-often.

Exactly.

The loons on the alt-right boards are worried about Big Pharma working with Bill Gates and George Soros to make a "vaccine" that will track us with nanobots. (No shit.) They also often believe that covid was created in a lab for this very purpose.

https://slate.com/technology/2020/05/microchips-bill-gates-track-people-vaccine.html

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2020, 10:22:54 AM »
I guess I fall on the other side of the "too-fast" people. I jumped at the first chance to get into the clinical trials. But I'm also one who volunteered to cover our Covid tent in the spring when this all started. I was willing to work anywhere, as long as I had adequate PPE.  I guess this is also a mini-PSA: PPE and hand-washing works!  I've been in close contact with innumerable covid+ patients, been coughed, spit, puked on from these patients, and through 8 months, still covid negative!

I'm in one of the clinical trials now and received the shot awhile ago.  I'm about 99% certain I received the placebo though.  Bummer.  I felt nothing when the shot when in and no soreness or tenderness in the area of the shot afterwards.  With the flu shot, I usually feel at least a little burning and my shoulder is mildly sore almost immediately after and for the next 1-2 days.  When one of the vaccines is approved for use, I'll ask to leave the trial so I can be unblinded, as I guess I'll be one of the first offered the vaccine. 

The mRNA vaccines are incredibly safe, SO FAR.  See post by @Travis above.  There is little microbiologic or biochemical potential for long term side effects in these formulations.  It is not a drug and the injectate just doesn't stay in your system very long.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2020, 10:28:38 AM »
erutio, good for you!

I just signed up for the phase 3 trial of the Oxford University/Astrazeneca vaccine yesterday, but I'm not very high risk. They probably won't chose me.

erutio

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2020, 10:40:04 AM »
erutio, good for you!

I just signed up for the phase 3 trial of the Oxford University/Astrazeneca vaccine yesterday, but I'm not very high risk. They probably won't chose me.

Good for you too!  And who knows, these trials want 10s of thousand of people, especially healthy people, so they may still bring you in. 

A bonus for us mustachians is all the extra cash they give you.  I have to fill out a daily online survey of my symptoms, takes a second for me as I just click "no", and receive $5 a day for each survey completed.