Author Topic: Who else writes their own music? Post it!  (Read 1486 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Who else writes their own music? Post it!
« on: June 29, 2019, 06:29:52 PM »
Maybe a change from bitching at each other about politics.  :P  Went for my bike ride this morning and then spent the entire rest of the (truly gorgeous) day in my basement recording a new disco/funk tune:

http://sclk.co/r/s89rht

This is an early retirement forum.  My goal is to greatly increase my time playing post FIRE.  There have got to be a bunch of other folks making music with their time not working.  Let's hear some!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
Re: Who else writes their own music? Post it!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 06:25:46 AM »
Surprised nobody else here posted...

I don't have much time to create music, but I do play around with stuff when I can. It's one of the reasons I wanted to FIRE to begin with: so I can play and write music all day.

Some stuff I've done:
http://soundcloud.com/funkystickman
Some more stuff I've done:
http://soundcloud.com/notentirelyunlikechiptune

I'm working my way back around to making music again, slowly. Been listening to a lot of Devin Townsend, but more importantly, I've been watching his interviews and learning his production/creative process. He thinks a lot like I do, and we like a lot of the same stuff. So I'm working on simplifying my studio setup and actually using it.

What I'm listening to right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ql_GqMzuFYE

Some good videos on minimalism and music gear:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OAMxnvhTyc3rjgpY6u8cA

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 07:10:43 AM »
I liked 'Funky Beat', great tune!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 07:21:31 AM »
Well, I'm impressed. Guitar Steve and Funky Stickman are both way out of my league. I play a lot of old medieval stuff (think "Greensleeves") or stuff that sounds like it could be (think "Winter Spell" from Harry Potter)...on folk harp or acoustic guitar. I couldn't write my way out of a wet paper bag--so people who can and do...really amaze me.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 07:56:14 AM »
I couldn't write my way out of a wet paper bag--so people who can and do...really amaze me.

same here.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 07:02:08 AM »
I couldn't write my way out of a wet paper bag--so people who can and do...really amaze me.

same here.

Don't get discouraged!

That's where I was (and I'm sure FunnyStickMan was) at the beginning too.  There's no magic pill to take that makes you capable of writing music.  Just start throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks.  It usually takes years of playing an instrument before you start trying to write parts for that instrument, and then years of listening and playing with other instruments to start to be able to workout multiple complimentary parts.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2019, 07:19:07 AM »
i played guitar for a long time until i got married. the guitar sits quietly in the back bedroom collecting dust now. i thought it would be nice to pick up the guitar again but about 30 seconds of that and it went right back into the corner. i never had much creativity when it came to music so i can really appreciate other people's ability to put out some amazing music.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 07:34:22 AM »
Don't get discouraged!

That's where I was (and I'm sure FunnyStickMan was) at the beginning too.  There's no magic pill to take that makes you capable of writing music.  Just start throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks.  It usually takes years of playing an instrument before you start trying to write parts for that instrument, and then years of listening and playing with other instruments to start to be able to workout multiple complimentary parts.

Absolutely. I still am not very good at writing music, but you do it one step at a time. You start off by learning other people's songs, learning how to just play. Then you goof around, come up with musical ideas. You work on those for a while, figure out what you like. Then you get an idea you want to communicate... you try to put it to words if necessary. You play with wording, rhyme, meter, simple melodies. Then you take some of the pieces and see what goes together. "Hey, this idea/lyric would really fit that music... how can I put them together?" Next thing you know, you're a composer. That's basically how you do it. No magic.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 07:40:46 AM »
I wonder how many songs have been written because someone was trying to learn a part for another song and screwed it up.  A great many of my tunes get a start like that.  :P

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »
Hi I make music with a band sometimes under the name FOYL and i do a lot of recording myself. i am hoping to dig even deeper in once i "retire" I was 4 posts short of 100 posts so i could  not reply earlier in OFF TOPIC (dam 96 posts) even though i have been a member here for 4 years now.

Here is a link to my most recent thing which i wrote and recorded all of it at home...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nWnOHTLVuYnl00o8L1RAHvcuUKCltua6k

https://open.spotify.com/album/2V0qaIt66WKvu3KKyiPnTa?si=IfxMx4-LTlGO6yoYB4tMZg

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »
Nice.  Is that a slide or lap steel?

slow hand slow plan

• Stubble
  • Living the dream
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2019, 12:57:58 PM »
Its slide. I modified my cheap old electric with with anut cover that is metal so it jacks the action up and makes it more like a lap steel. It is a lot of fun to play and i think it cost me like 10$