Author Topic: Who do you not have time for?  (Read 3249 times)

Silverado

• Stubble
Who do you not have time for?
« on: March 05, 2017, 07:43:31 PM »
I run a lot. I do not always fully enjoy it in realtime and it makes me a little cranky. So I contemplate things as I plod along. One thing that has crept into my mind lately is very judgy, but so be it.

Who do you not have time for? Interpret that however you want. But basically for me, who do I not care to give a helping hand to (though in reality I am a so-so person and likely would help out in a real crisis, I think)?

1. Anyone who is moderately able-bodied and does not bring in their trash can / recycling bins within a day or so, in good weather, when I see you get out of your clown vehicle with your Starbucks. My direct neighbor. Both man and woman are around 30, seem to be in fine health given their actions with some snow shoveling. But can't find the energy to bring in their bins. Come on.

2. Anyone who does not use their turn signals. Are you really that lazy? You should be ashamed. Partially also those that do not use them properly. As an example, a turn signal is to indicate you are taking some specific action, allowing others to take any appropriate counter actions. Putting on your left turn signal when you have already used your brakes and have moved into the turn lane shows additional lack of understanding. Just don't use it at all so I think you are just lazy.

3. Speeders in a pure residential neighborhood. Hopefully the kid you hit is your own, so the misery stays contained in one household.

There are others of course, but these are the ones I think about while urban running.

okobrien

• Stubble
    • Up From Wage Slavery
Re: Who do you not have time for?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 07:54:27 PM »
Online complainers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Silverado

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 09:04:36 PM »
Online complainers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Excellent, hit close to home i guess.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 09:04:54 PM »
This shit.*

*See also: What are you too getting too old for?

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 02:08:22 AM »
I find I have very little time to get to know people well enough to judge them fairly.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »
I also run in residential neighborhoods and have built up my list of petty gripes.

1) People who don't control their dogs properly.  Nothing ruins a good running mojo more that seeing a large dog running at you with no leash, or having a dog on a leash lunging at you aggressively.

2) Litter and (related to above complaint) plastic bags full of dog poo sitting on the ground. 

3) People who don't look where they are going when taking a left turn out of an intersection.  In 7+ years of running, I have been nearly hit about 10 times by someone who pauses, doesn't look properly, and guns it just as I am about to cross an intersection. 

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 08:13:48 PM »

1) People who don't control their dogs properly.  Nothing ruins a good running mojo more that seeing a large dog running at you with no leash, or having a dog on a leash lunging at you aggressively.

I think this is funny because I live near a park where people like to walk their dogs and the large dog owners are always so conscious of the fact that I might be scared of their dog.  They call their dog close to their side, get between me and their dog, etc.  And their dogs are always well-behaved sweethearts. 

The small dog owners generally don't try at all and their dogs bark, lunge at me, sniff me and in all ways invade my space.  So I will find myself being extra friendly and outgoing with the big dogs/walkers and crossing to the far side of the path as soon as I see the little dogs because I know what's coming.  And no, this isn't a self-creating situation - it resulted from what was.  (And I agree with you about the lunging thing, regardless of the sized dog.)

Also, the dog poop.  If you can't/won't pick up after your dog, you shouldn't have one.  I always find myself torn when I see filled dog poop bags on the side of the path.  On the one hand, good for them for picking up the poop.  On the other hand, now it will never degrade thanks to that plastic.  And if you were going to start it, why couldn't you get it over the finish line?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 08:22:39 PM »
One of the greatest gifts of being financially secure is that you don't have to endure the company of others if you don't want to.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »
Anyone spouting "alternative facts". 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:02:56 PM »
Online complainers.

Well played, sir :-)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 10:39:32 AM »
I run a lot. I do not always fully enjoy it in realtime and it makes me a little cranky. So I contemplate things as I plod along. One thing that has crept into my mind lately is very judgy, but so be it.

Who do you not have time for? Interpret that however you want. But basically for me, who do I not care to give a helping hand to (though in reality I am a so-so person and likely would help out in a real crisis, I think)?

1. Anyone who is moderately able-bodied and does not bring in their trash can / recycling bins within a day or so, in good weather, when I see you get out of your clown vehicle with your Starbucks. My direct neighbor. Both man and woman are around 30, seem to be in fine health given their actions with some snow shoveling. But can't find the energy to bring in their bins. Come on...

Just yesterday I remarked to DH that I feel sorry for our young neighbors who have to put a roll put cart in the street each week, and take it back in. Their new posh house is in an odd position where gatbage trucks cant go. Were it,e, I would not have spent 650,000 freeking dollars. A place where I have to mind the garbage cans and also making my 650,000 freaking dolla place look like crapola one day a week when garbage cans are sitting in front of it.

I have no rancour here, I like these neighbors. i am thrilled, THRILLED! that we have houses this expensve on my block, I just think that our garbage service with its giant metal dumpsters in alleys are one of the great things about living in this city.

As for your rant about us Ng turn lights, I am sometimes guilty of that and I try to stay aware of my zoning out periods f not usng them. You are completely right! Rant accepted.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 12:01:30 PM »
this was a good laugh.

Op, maybe stop running?

Seriously, just be positive. You have legs to run, good weather to run in, and no one, other than an occasional dog, chasing you.

Ichabod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »
I think this is funny because I live near a park where people like to walk their dogs and the large dog owners are always so conscious of the fact that I might be scared of their dog.  They call their dog close to their side, get between me and their dog, etc.  And their dogs are always well-behaved sweethearts. 

The small dog owners generally don't try at all and their dogs bark, lunge at me, sniff me and in all ways invade my space.  So I will find myself being extra friendly and outgoing with the big dogs/walkers and crossing to the far side of the path as soon as I see the little dogs because I know what's coming.  And no, this isn't a self-creating situation - it resulted from what was.  (And I agree with you about the lunging thing, regardless of the sized dog.)

I've heard this is called "small-dog syndrome" and is completely the owner's fault (as you allude to). And it's how I justify my disdain of chihuahuas.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 09:25:55 PM »

I've heard this is called "small-dog syndrome" and is completely the owner's fault (as you allude to). And it's how I justify my disdain of chihuahuas.

I have a large dog and I've noticed the vast majority of un-picked-up dog crap is from small dogs. This might be he dog walkers fault, but I think maybe the little dogs tend to walk and poop, or the owner just figures it's too small to pick up?  Almost never see large craps on the sidewalk, and there are plenty of large dogs in the neighborhood

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »

I have a large dog and I've noticed the vast majority of un-picked-up dog crap is from small dogs. This might be he dog walkers fault, but I think maybe the little dogs tend to walk and poop, or the owner just figures it's too small to pick up?  Almost never see large craps on the sidewalk, and there are plenty of large dogs in the neighborhood

Yes to both of you!  :)