Author Topic: What would it take to restore the arts to being profitable careers?  (Read 59431 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What would it take to restore the arts to being profitable careers?
« Reply #250 on: September 14, 2016, 12:10:55 PM »

You aren't taking away personal property when a copyright expires.  We're talking about intellectual property, which is wildly different.  With personal property when someone takes something, you no longer have it.  With intellectual property when someone 'takes' something they are really creating something without depriving you of anything.

Not true. 

If I write a book, then you copy and sell it, I don't make money on it.  You do.

Agreed.  That's why I believe that copyright laws should exist.

It doesn't make what I said false though.

There's a kind of spectrum of copyright infringement.  Looking at it from a music standpoint:
- Being inspired by a song or artist and creating a work similar in style
- Using an identical chord progression in your own song
- Using an artists licks in a solo in your own song
- Performing a cover song
- Recording a cover song
- Using major parts of an artists melody in your own song
- Duplicating a copyrighted song
- Duplicating and distributing a copyrighted song freely
- Duplicating and distributing a copyrighted song for money

The first two points aren't generally considered copyright infringement, the next five don't cause financial damage to the artist.  Only the last point has demonstrably been shown to cause financial damage.

Why the hell, if copyright holders aren't economically harmed, would they fight so damned hard to protect and extend copyright terms?

It's a tautology that copyright holders aren't economically harmed by infringement after their death.  Copyright terms have been extended well past (70 years???) the death of the artist who created the work.  That doesn't make much sense if you want to economically help an artist.

If you write something using my work as a basis, you can ruin the experience (and thus value) of my own work. 

See Gene Kelly's Singing in the Rain dance/song number before and after A Clockwork Orange.    It won't be the same and could cause real harm to the owner of the original work.

Sure.  But if I write something using your work as a basis, you can enhance the experience (and thus value) of your own work.

See Hendix covering Dylan's All Along the Watchtower.  After Hendrix released his version Bob Dylan stopped playing the song the way he had originally written it, and adopted the style that Hendrix popularized.  Everyone benefits from this.

(I'd also argue that the public as a whole would have suffered by using copyright to exclude Kubrick's use of Singing in the Rain in a Clockwork Orange.)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:15:57 PM by GuitarStv »

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: September 14, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »
Why the hell, if copyright holders aren't economically harmed, would they fight so damned hard to protect and extend copyright terms?

Nobody's arguing that copyright holders don't fight damned hard to extend copyright terms.

Similarly, Cliven Bundy et al. have been fighting pretty damned hard to misappropriate public lands for their own benefit, and can make exactly the same claims that they are "harmed" by our lack of capitulation to their demands.

I have equal sympathy for both.

(I'd also argue that the public as a whole would have suffered by using copyright to exclude Kubrick's use of Singing in the Rain in a Clockwork Orange.)

Fun fact: Malcom McDowell was ad-libbing that. Kubrick should get a certain amount of credit for choosing to include it in the final cut, but he didn't come up with the idea.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: September 14, 2016, 12:30:36 PM »
I think what you guys are referring to above can all be worked into the "fair use" and "transformative work" part of copyright law. AKA, fanfic is legal, kids. ;) So are parodies, and any situation where the original (copyrighted) work has been altered to the point of becoming something new.
\o/
Copyright law already makes allowances for that, and has, in the last several years, gotten a lot more progressive.

With the exception of Disney. :P Disney manages to make whatever they want happen, still (looking at you, copyright extension!)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #253 on: September 14, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »
I think what you guys are referring to above can all be worked into the "fair use" and "transformative work" part of copyright law. AKA, fanfic is legal, kids. ;) So are parodies, and any situation where the original (copyrighted) work has been altered to the point of becoming something new.

Nope.  This is not true at all.

Look at The Verve's 'Bittersweet Symphony' . . . which sampled a small part of the Rolling Stones 'The Last Time'.  The Verve created a new work of art.  Then the Rolling Stones used copyright law to take 100% of the profits for the song.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: September 14, 2016, 12:46:07 PM »
Well, it OUGHT to have been covered by that. It sucks it wasn't. I imagine it was a case of who could pay for lawyers the longest. :( The Rolling Stones win that one.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #255 on: September 14, 2016, 02:49:08 PM »
Well, it OUGHT to have been covered by that. It sucks it wasn't. I imagine it was a case of who could pay for lawyers the longest. :( The Rolling Stones win that one.

And that's where Fair Use has been pounded flat in the last year.  Youtube gets flooded with cease and desist requests every day by corporations (some using contracted bot services) if some content even smells like it might be a copyright violation (there was a bank the other day that managed to take down its own site for a few hours thanks to their copyright attacking algorithm).  Rather than get caught up in the lawsuits-even if most would be thrown out, Youtube sides with the plaintiff, especially if that plaintiff has the money to make even a losing case painful.  They've really absolved themselves of the responsibility since most of the responses to the automated claims are done by an automated system as well so that complaints from parties that have absolutely no stake in the issue are able to attack content.

http://www.craveonline.com/design/954997-prominent-youtubers-ask-wheres-fair-use-backlash-site
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 04:18:00 PM by Travis »

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #256 on: September 14, 2016, 02:58:40 PM »
Well in answer to the OP's question, what would it take for the arts to be profitable for the many, rather than the few?
Having policies that supported Fair Use copyright law and didn't require endless legal shenanigans would be a start. >__>

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #257 on: September 14, 2016, 03:24:52 PM »
Yep.  Although, I still have yet to hear anyone give me a good reason why extending copyright beyond the life of an artist could make any sense at all.  If the artist is dead he is statistically less likely to create further works (notwithstanding 2Pac's five posthumous albums  :P  ).

You are SO right.

All that stock and bonds you bought?  You don't need it after you are dead.

All that rental or farm property you bought, restored, and maintained?  You don't need it after you are dead.

All that cash you set aside for a rainy day?  You don't need that after you are dead either.

To hell with your spouse and kids. 

Let's just sell all that when someone dies and put it in the public domain to pay off the national debt or give handouts to artists whose work is so undesirable to the public that no one will pay for it.

[/sarcasm]

How about that for a reason?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #258 on: September 14, 2016, 03:26:46 PM »

And that's where Fair Use has been pounded flat in the last year.  Youtube gets flooded with cease and desist requests every day by corporations (some using contracted bot services) if some content even smells like it might be a copyright violation (there was a bank the other day that managed to take down its own site for a few hours thanks to their copyright attacking algorithm).  Rather than get caught up in the lawsuits-even if most would be thrown out, Youtube sides with the plaintiff, especially if that plaintiff has the money to make even a losing case painful.  They've really absolved themselves of the responsibility since most of the responses to the automated claims are done by an automated system as well so that complaints from parties that have absolutely no stake in the issue are able to attack content.

[urlhttp://www.craveonline.com/design/954997-prominent-youtubers-ask-wheres-fair-use-backlash-site[/url]

In one sense, Youtube has to do that in order to maintain "safe harbor" status under the DMCA.

However, it is very telling that Youtube chose to automate the takedown process, but not the counterclaim process. There have also been reports that when "little guys" file counterclaims they get almost ignored, but when people file takedowns against files uploaded by big studios the counterclaims get handled very quickly. I can't find a link right now, but there have even been cases where an individual uploaded their 100% original video to Youtube, a big studio infringed their copyright, and then the big studio issued a takedown notice against the actual copyright holder.

The worst part is that there is effectively no penalty for issuing false takedown notices. The only requirement is that the person issuing the notice must be the designated agent of the copyright holder of the work alleged to be infringed. He does not have any real responsibility to ensure that the work being taken down is infringing.

For example, I hold copyright on this post because I wrote it. I could file a takedown notice on Gangnam Style based not on the claim that I own Gangnam Style, but on the equally-ludicrous claim that Gangnam Style somehow infringes on the copyright of this post. In theory, Youtube would be forced to immediately remove it until Psy issued a counternotice. In practice, because I'm a nobody and that video has 2 billion views, Youtube would probably either fail to take the video down at all, or "delay" doing so until the counternotice was submitted and put it back up 1 millisecond later.

But if Psy did the same thing to me -- if I posted this comment to Youtube, and Psy filed a takedown notice claiming that it somehow infringed on Gangnam Style -- I'd be totally fucked.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #259 on: September 14, 2016, 03:36:40 PM »
Yep.  Although, I still have yet to hear anyone give me a good reason why extending copyright beyond the life of an artist could make any sense at all.  If the artist is dead he is statistically less likely to create further works (notwithstanding 2Pac's five posthumous albums  :P  ).

You are SO right.

All that rental or farm property you bought, restored, and maintained?  You don't need it after you are dead.

All that cash you set aside for a rainy day?  You don't need that after you are dead either.

Let's just sell all that when someone dies and put it in the public domain to pay off the national debt or give handouts to artists whose work is so undesirable to the public that no one will pay for it.

[/sarcasm]

First of all, it might be a reason if it weren't utter bullshit. As I remind us all for the umpteenth time, all those things are examples of property, which makes them completely different from copyright. Not only is your comparison false, but the fact that you're still trying to make it after I've debunked it so many times is -- well, I won't say what it is since it would be a "personal attack."

Second, confiscating a dead person's actual property isn't even unreasonable in the first place! Ever heard of the estate tax?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #260 on: September 14, 2016, 04:38:58 PM »

[urlhttp://www.craveonline.com/design/954997-prominent-youtubers-ask-wheres-fair-use-backlash-site[/url]

In one sense, Youtube has to do that in order to maintain "safe harbor" status under the DMCA.

However, it is very telling that Youtube chose to automate the takedown process, but not the counterclaim process. There have also been reports that when "little guys" file counterclaims they get almost ignored, but when people file takedowns against files uploaded by big studios the counterclaims get handled very quickly. I can't find a link right now, but there have even been cases where an individual uploaded their 100% original video to Youtube, a big studio infringed their copyright, and then the big studio issued a takedown notice against the actual copyright holder.

The worst part is that there is effectively no penalty for issuing false takedown notices. The only requirement is that the person issuing the notice must be the designated agent of the copyright holder of the work alleged to be infringed. He does not have any real responsibility to ensure that the work being taken down is infringing.

For example, I hold copyright on this post because I wrote it. I could file a takedown notice on Gangnam Style based not on the claim that I own Gangnam Style, but on the equally-ludicrous claim that Gangnam Style somehow infringes on the copyright of this post. In theory, Youtube would be forced to immediately remove it until Psy issued a counternotice. In practice, because I'm a nobody and that video has 2 billion views, Youtube would probably either fail to take the video down at all, or "delay" doing so until the counternotice was submitted and put it back up 1 millisecond later.

But if Psy did the same thing to me -- if I posted this comment to Youtube, and Psy filed a takedown notice claiming that it somehow infringed on Gangnam Style -- I'd be totally fucked.

And that designated representative these days isn't even a person - it's a computer running a program.  The case I mentioned about a bank blocking it's own site? It was Warner Bros (my bad).  The company they hire to run that algorithm sends out 100,000 take-down notices a day/week/month (can't remember) to fight piracy, and last week demanded Google remove links to a few of its own legitimate sites citing copyright infringement. This same computer algorithm has attacked Amazon, IMDB, and even Roger Ebert's website.  Columbia Picture's version of this automated copyright hit squad went after a bunch of videos that had "Pixel" in the title because of the movie they produced last year - most being made years ago.  About a decade ago McDonalds sued a Scottish family-owned restaurant for infringing on their name. The restaurant name? McDonald's (notice the spelling difference).  When copyright law forbids you from using your own name in your business....

Regarding the other bolded item, I know exactly which case you're talking about, but I can't find it at this moment. It's hidden in one of the many #WTFU Youtube videos posted in the last year. The guy created an original Youtube video, a corporation used part of it in their own content without permission, and when he used a snip of THAT content to discuss the issue on his own channel he was sued and Youtube barely gave him the time of day when he complained.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #261 on: September 14, 2016, 05:17:05 PM »
About a decade ago McDonalds sued a Scottish family-owned restaurant for infringing on their name. The restaurant name? McDonald's (notice the spelling difference).  When copyright law forbids you from using your own name in your business....

That one is an issue of trademark, not copyright.

Similarly, the Burger King in Mattoon, IL might be different than you expect.

Regarding the other bolded item, I know exactly which case you're talking about, but I can't find it at this moment. It's hidden in one of the many #WTFU Youtube videos posted in the last year. The guy created an original Youtube video, a corporation used part of it in their own content without permission, and when he used a snip of THAT content to discuss the issue on his own channel he was sued and Youtube barely gave him the time of day when he complained.

Ah, good! Nice to have confirmation I didn't misremember it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #262 on: September 15, 2016, 06:30:44 AM »

You are SO right.

We're not talking about stock or bonds though.  That's physical property.  If I want them, I need to take them away from you.

What we're talking about doesn't work that way.  I can use part of what you created without ever having any impact on you.

Again, you're talking about actual, physical property.  It's different than an idea.

Cash is not an idea either.

[/sarcasm]

It's a pretty poor reason.  This is largely due to the fact that you don't seem to understand the difference between an idea and physical property.  Arbitrarily restricting ideas for huge amounts of time in the way that current copyright laws work is damaging to society.  You've failed to provide any reason that it would be beneficial.

You also appear to have no understanding of what the public domain is, if you think that putting things in the public domain will somehow be a cash boon to the government.  It would behoove you to do a little reading on the matter before making such silly claims.

I haven't advocated giving handouts to any artists.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #263 on: September 15, 2016, 06:55:22 AM »
Guitar Steve and Jack,

You guys do understand that having something copyrighted simply means that someone else has to ask you to use it, right?

It does not mean you cannot use copyrighted material or sample copyrighted material in your own work.
It just means you have to ask the original artist for permission.

That's all.

No.

It means you have to ask the rights holder for permission.  This doesn't always equal the artists.  Even if the artist is OK with you using his song, the corporate rights holder may well prevent this from happening.

Regardless, there have been many instances (like The Verve example I gave earlier) where artists use this power to profit from or suppress new works of art.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #264 on: September 15, 2016, 07:14:29 AM »
Guitar Steve and Jack,

You guys do understand that having something copyrighted simply means that someone else has to ask you to use it, right?

It does not mean you cannot use copyrighted material or sample copyrighted material in your own work.

That's all.

MLK Jr.'s kids, almost 50 years after his death, don't allow his I Have a Dream speech to be broadcast or used, because they're greedy.

So much for "you just have to ask. That's all."

How is this good for society again?  Was his children profiting decades after his death the incentive for him to write and perform that speech?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #265 on: September 15, 2016, 09:09:10 AM »
Anything published in 1922 or before is in the public domain.
Mozart, Bach, Vivaldi's music. All free to use as you wish.

Yep.  And that's the way that it's supposed to work . . . the artist gets to make money for creating his stuff for a period and then it goes into public domain.

The issue that I have (and I assume others in this thread) is that the regular method of things entering public domain no longer appears to be something that will continue to happen.  Mickey Mouse was created in 1928, and Disney has been very effective in lobbying to keep extending their copyright and (at this point) it looks like they will continue to do so forever.  Mickey was supposed to have entered the public domain twice already.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #266 on: September 15, 2016, 11:50:57 AM »
Is writing a book different than setting up a business?

Scenario 1: I spend 8320 hours, and $6000, writing a book. After all development steps, I am able to hand it off to a distributor. The book ultimately starts producing $2k/mo for me.

Scenario 2: I spend 8320 hours, and $6000, setting up a food truck (brand, recipes, system, etc). After all development steps, I hand it off to a franchisee or manager. The truck ultimately produces $2k/mo for me.

Why would Scenario 1 have a time limit on how long I (or family members) can receive the income , but Scenario 2 wouldn't?

How many of these processes can I risk taking, when we know some will cost me thousands, some will net neutral, and only some will gain? Is it acceptable to use the wins to, essentially, subsidize my fails? Something has to fund the experiments, the risks. I think long-copyright does that.

People often ask: Where is the line between art and entrepreneurship? I'm one of those that believe there isn't much of one. Both demand an original perspective, financial investment, copious hours, honed skill, risk, and contribution. Both have a chance of failing spectacularly or succeeding spectacularly, or doing anything in between.

People tell me that we (I and others) should write for free, with no hope of reward "because the writing process is reward in itself" and so on. This may hold for those doing "art for art's sake" but may not for those doing "art" as contribution, and who are putting in thousands of hours or dollars to develop each product.

When I develop a microbusiness, I do hope my kid (who lived the loss of hours and finances) continues to benefit long term. It's a risk, and potential benefit, I weigh when I consider each microbusiness.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #267 on: September 15, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »

Scenario 1: I spend 8320 hours, and $6000, writing a book. After all development steps, I am able to hand it off to a distributor. The book ultimately starts producing $2k/mo for me.

Scenario 2: I spend 8320 hours, and $6000, setting up a food truck (brand, recipes, system, etc). After all development steps, I hand it off to a franchisee or manager. The truck ultimately produces $2k/mo for me.

In Scenario 2 someone else can put food in a truck and sell it.  If your food truck sells waffles, they can sell waffles too.  You don't get a monopoly on food trucks selling waffles for 70 years after your death.  That monopoly is only given to the writer.

Why would Scenario 1 have a time limit on how long I (or family members) can receive the income , but Scenario 2 wouldn't?

There is no time limit on how long you or family members can receive income from your book.  You can still package the book up and sell it, it's just that your monopoly on doing so ends after a period.

How many of these processes can I risk taking, when we know some will cost me thousands, some will net neutral, and only some will gain? Is it acceptable to use the wins to, essentially, subsidize my fails? Something has to fund the experiments, the risks. I think long-copyright does that.

I ask again, how does a copyright that extends well past the death of an artist subsidize the artist in any way?

People tell me that we (I and others) should write for free, with no hope of reward "because the writing process is reward in itself" and so on. This may hold for those doing "art for art's sake" but may not for those doing "art" as contribution, and who are putting in thousands of hours or dollars to develop each product.

Agreed.  That's why some form of copyright needs to exist.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #268 on: September 15, 2016, 12:22:08 PM »
In Scenario 2 someone else can put food in a truck and sell it.  If your food truck sells waffles, they can sell waffles too.  You don't get a monopoly on food trucks selling waffles for 70 years after your death.  That monopoly is only given to the writer.

Just as the food truck owner doesn't have a monopoly on 'food trucks' or on food truck service as a concept, the writer doesn't have a monopoly on the invention of 'book' as a physical structure or on writing as a concept. He has monopoly only on his specific arrangement of words. Everyone else is also allowed to arrange words and sell their own arrangement of words.

I ask again, how does a copyright that extends well past the death of an artist subsidize the artist in any way?

It's not really about subsidizing the artist, but rather about subsidizing their multiple processes.

A business-minded artist will weigh risks and potential benefits:
Is this worth stealing 8320 hours from my kid (self/partner/other cause) for?
Is this worth blowing $6k of his college savings (my ER savings/spouse's ER savings/other causes) for?
Is this endeavour likely or unlikely to make up for those?

I believe it's wise and fair for an artist to consider these, and that many do indeed do so.
A spouse or business partner will weigh in too: "Your last process was risky, but is projected to bring our family income ongoing. So, yes, I support you investing the same in a subsequent process, which may or may not result in cash."

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #269 on: September 15, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »

Just as the food truck owner doesn't have a monopoly on 'food trucks' or on food truck service as a concept, the writer doesn't have a monopoly on the invention of 'book' as a physical structure or on writing as a concept. He has monopoly only on his specific arrangement of words. Everyone else is also allowed to arrange words and sell their own arrangement of words.

Exactly.  The words that you choose to combine are just like the menu you choose to serve from your food truck.  If you choose to sell innovative waffles with blueberries and pickles, someone can see that and then open their own food truck next door . . . selling waffles with blueberries and pickles.

It's not really about subsidizing the artist, but rather about subsidizing their multiple processes.

A business-minded artist will weigh risks and potential benefits

Every person weighs risks and potential benefits before making a decision.

Your argument appears to be that artists will not work as hard or attempt as much if they don't believe that their offspring will be able to profit from what they create in (effective) perpetuity long after their deaths?

That just isn't a credible argument to me.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #270 on: September 15, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »
Your argument appears to be that [some] artists will not work as hard or attempt as much if they don't believe that their offspring will be able to profit from what they create in (effective) perpetuity long after their deaths?

With one word added above, yes.

Some artists are bringing a business mind to their work, and approaching it precisely the way other entrepreneurs, inventors, employees, etc, approach theirs. i.e., We all have dreams, visions, capacities, and skills, and may be inherently willing to work very hard, but we weigh the application of these against the losses that result. Effect now and future on our offspring, or favourite causes, is one element weighed.

That just isn't a credible argument to me.

I can accept that you're saying you don't believe this to be true for most artists. It may or may not be. To find out, we'd need to interview most artists and they'd have to tell their truth. The former is unlikely to happen, so we're stuck with theories (which is okay, and perfectly suitable for discussion).

However, it is absolutely true for me, and I find I'm rarely a "unicorn" in the world, so I would expect others are weighing this too. I'm acutely aware of the loss to my child in my process, so the effect on his short term and long term has great weight in my calculation. My process has no impact on the public; only I and my kid "suffer" (lose) by my process. It matters to me to make up for that, to nourish not only the public but the one who actually had loss for its production.

My sense is that farmers, etc, have long thought this way, too.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #271 on: September 15, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »
I can accept that you're saying you don't believe this to be true for most artists. It may or may not be. To find out, we'd need to interview most artists and they'd have to tell their truth. The former is unlikely to happen, so we're stuck with theories (which is okay, and perfectly suitable for discussion).

However, it is absolutely true for me, and I find I'm rarely a "unicorn" in the world, so I would expect others are weighing this too. I'm acutely aware of the loss to my child in my process, so the effect on his short term and long term has great weight in my calculation. My process has no impact on the public; only I and my kid "suffer" (lose) by my process. It matters to me to make up for that, to nourish not only the public but the one who actually had loss for its production.

That's quite interesting to me and opens up a whole bunch of stuff for questioning.

What kind of art were you on the fence about creating that the life + 70 rule pushed you over the edge for?  How much money have you made from this art, and what is your expected return on it for the 70 years after your death?  Would you have failed to create it if the copyright existed only for 69 years after your death?  50 years?  40?

scrubbyfish

« Reply #272 on: September 15, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »
What kind of art were you on the fence about creating that the life + 70 rule pushed you over the edge for?  How much money have you made from this art, and what is your expected return on it for the 70 years after your death?  Would you have failed to create it if the copyright existed only for 69 years after your death?  50 years?  40?

For me, the critical period is "kid's lifetime".

If he didn't survive me, or didn't survive me for long, I would be happy if proceeds went to the cause of my (pre-death) choice. If it went to the good of the world, that's great too. If it went into general funds (say, for war) I would be averse to creating stuff that generated income. (In that case, I would work for pay in a service industry.)

But, I do feel responsible to my kid, he has disabilities that will require support after I go such that I feel I need a long-term plan, and I'm aware of him being the only person affected by my process.

I write. I make good money on some projects, and nothing to a substantial loss on others. The process is very blood/sweat/tears/stress for me, with ridiculous hours for a long stretch of time. (I say, "I can write a book [while also parenting] OR have a romantic relationship, but not both.") The projects demand research, organization, commitment, huge learning curves, yadda yadda. It's tough. In some stretches, I'll sleep 2-4 hours per night.

I self-publish, so all the cost and risk is mine. I do feel I need incentives. A more evolved person might not.

Before I had my kid, I did the work because it was (in my mind) "needed." Of course, lots of things are "needed" in the world: water wells, solar power, food. So, I've also farmed, lived in an orphanage, etc. Once I had a kid, though, I went through a long assessment to decide whether I'd do more of these commitments or not and, if so, which ones. For each possibility, I weighed the risks and benefits for him as well as for others. Committing his life to my weird work left me feeling that if he (not only others) could personally benefit long term, it was worth doing.

That is, I don't feel I have the right to commit his life for others' benefit, while he is merely shortchanged in the act. It felt critical to me to balance it. The possibility of royalties lightening his load (and paying for child-of-artist therapy) after I'm dead encouraged me to take the writing risk again. If the latest flies, I will be more likely to do so yet again. If it doesn't, I'll be reluctant to spend his time and money doing another. (I'm not very flouncy/airy-fairy about my art, lol.)

scrubbyfish

« Reply #273 on: September 15, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »
To the original question, "How do we make art profitable?" I would say, "Develop business mind in the artist." I think some would find that repulsive, but it's my take. Again, I don't see art as more special than any other creative task (parenting, business development, etc). We can choose to do it for free, or with no hope of gain, and that's 100% fine. It's also totally kosher to balance a life of work for a reasonable amount of pay, even if the pay for all of it comes from just one or three products.

But I agree that if a person is intent on making money via art, they are responsible to bring the business mind to it. In any field (including plumbing, farming, and child care) some are willing to work for free and others feel a need for pay. The latter will need to implement the business learning curve, which sucks for lots of us, but such is life.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #274 on: September 15, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
I've been busy, but I'm mostly caught up.

As far as I understand the copyright argument, should all passive income streams have a time limit? Concentration of wealth seems to hurt society at least as badly as copyright protection. Or is it just that few people arguing against copyright have a dog in that fight?

scrubbyfish

« Reply #275 on: September 15, 2016, 05:51:48 PM »
As far as I understand the copyright argument, should all passive income streams have a time limit?

I share that question.

I'd prefer an entirely different economic system (that's a matter for another thread), but if this is the one we have, either all investments need to have unlimited income periods or none of them. It doesn't make sense for a food truck, ad agency, stock, or acre of land to have no income limits but choreography, visual art print, or arrangement of words to have set ones.

EMP

• Bristles
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2016, 07:16:03 PM »
As far as I understand the copyright argument, should all passive income streams have a time limit?

I share that question.

I'd prefer an entirely different economic system (that's a matter for another thread), but if this is the one we have, either all investments need to have unlimited income periods or none of them. It doesn't make sense for a food truck, ad agency, stock, or acre of land to have no income limits but choreography, visual art print, or arrangement of words to have set ones.

Looks like I should have read further before I posted. Seems people are drawing a distinction between art, as an idea, and the notion of ownership and money, also ideas.

I'm not seeing the distinction between one social construct and the other. I believe the earlier comment on not understanding when the paycheck is on the line applies.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2016, 07:33:17 PM »
Coke invented Santa.  Before coke he wasn't a jolly fat guy in a red suit with a thick white beard and a twinkle in his eye.

The coca cola company may have influenced the modern image of Santa, but they most certainly did not invent it.  There is a bit about that here:  http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santa/cocacola.asp

Images of Santa as a jolly fat guy in a red suit predate Coca Cola ads.

Freedom to use things means that they'll probably be used for things that I don't particularly like occasionally.  My preferences shouldn't be used to censor creativity (in whatever form it takes) though.

I guess that's is simply where we will have to agree to disagree.

If, for example, a politician I vehemently disagreed with wanted to use my work to further their message I would like to ability to say no, thank you.  I would hope that my work would not be exploited in ways I had not intended, during my life or after my death.  And I believe every creator should have that right.

Creativity is not censored. Everyone has a right to create their own content to do with what they like.
And everyone has the right to allow their content to be used as they like.  The only thing we seem to disagree on is whether or not everyone should have the right to use other people's content as they like - and, as interesting as this conversation has been so far, I simply haven't seen an argument yet that shows a positive that outweighs the negatives to that (for me).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 07:34:54 PM by MrDelane »

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2016, 07:48:20 PM »
The fact of the matter is, C&H was GREAT.  In fact, I just finished rereading the whole collection today (the comic I posted was at the very end of the run, in the last few months, so I happened to see it, and see it as relevant to the beginning of this thread, and posted it).  But now, 20 years later?  If other artists were able to do stuff with C&H, I'd consider that a good thing.

Would it be nice if we had more Calvin & Hobbes?  Sure.  Should we force it's creator to allow that to happen?  That's where we disagree, I guess.  I'd love to see more Calvin & Hobbes, but it's not up to me.  I didn't create it, and I shouldn't really have a say in how it's handled. 

...is there a reason now that the public shouldn't be able to enjoy different artistic expressions related to it, or to Darkwing Duck/Tale Spin, or other awesome 90s stuff?

Yes, there is a reason, and that is the intent and wishes of the creator.
I mentioned this before, but it bares repeating here, the issue shouldn't be 'is there a reason to NOT allow everyone to use an idea,' but instead is there a reason to force a creator to give up ownership of his/her ideas.

The burden of proof is on those who want to take ownership away, not on those who want to keep it.

Besides, what is stopping people from creating other comics that are just as good if not better than Calvin and Hobbes?  Nothing, other than their own creativity.

The creator's long since earned their profits.  The public domain is a good thing.

This gets into another key point, this idea that the creator has earned 'enough' money already.  If the money earned is the issue then you should instead maybe argue to raise taxes on royalty payments after a certain period. But forcing someone to give up ownership of their own creation to be used by the masses because they have reached a point of 'enough' profit by someone else's standard seems a bit extreme.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:17:44 PM by MrDelane »

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #279 on: September 15, 2016, 07:53:58 PM »
If you accept the disingenuous and misleading term "intellectual property," you've already ceded a large part of the argument. Allowing copyright to be called that is one of the ways it becomes so easy for the copyright cartel to confuse people into comparing it with actual property, as MrDelane has done.

Copyright is not and never has been anything even slightly like a property right. That is the very first thing that must be crystal-clear to everyone in order to have an intelligent discussion about it.

Jack - do you have any other sources to read more arguments about this?
I'm really interested in this distinction that you keep pointing out between actual property and that "disingenuous and misleading term," intellectual property.  I read the link you posted above, but I feel like I'm not quite getting it just yet (and, as you would expect, much of it seems a bit nonsensical to me, and a few bits I simply disagree with).  Regardless, obviously, I think you're right that this is the crux of most of the disagreement in this thread.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:00:06 PM by MrDelane »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #280 on: September 15, 2016, 08:29:17 PM »

...is there a reason now that the public shouldn't be able to enjoy different artistic expressions related to it, or to Darkwing Duck/Tale Spin, or other awesome 90s stuff?

Yes, there is a reason, and that is the intent and wishes of the creator.

Plenty of times the creator wants to make more, or allow stuff to be made, but the creator/artist isn't necessarily the rights holder.

In fact, it's much more common for something commerical and profitable to be owned by a corporation.

It's corporations who benefit from ridiculously long copyrights, not artists.

Artists benefit from reasonable length copyrights. 15, maybe 20 years.

You still haven't explained why it needs to be longer than that.

I mentioned this before, but it bares repeating here, the issue shouldn't be 'is there a reason to NOT allow everyone to use an idea,' but instead is there a reason to force a creator to give up ownership of his/her ideas.

Yes, the public good. As we've said, the public benefits from ideas becoming open, allowing everyone to use them, modify them, improve them, etc.

Think about patents. They last for about 15-20 years.

Then, yes, we force the inventor to give up ownership of his/her ideas.

For the common good.

And people modify, improve, and iterate on those things, to everyone's benefit.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Watchmaker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #281 on: September 15, 2016, 09:05:25 PM »
I'd like to add that Jack's repeated statement that intellectual property is not the same as physical property, while true, isn't the complete story.

The legal framework in the US is primarily Utilitarian, but the law also draws from a philosophical tradition called the labor theory of ownership, in which ownership of ideas is considered a natural right (and therefore as real as property rights).  The basic idea is that through their labor creators make a thing theirs (like gathering berries in the woods makes them yours) so long as they do not unduly stop others from accessing the same resource (by taking all the berries/protecting to basic or broad an idea).

I believe some European law treats copyright as part of personality rights.

And, from what I can tell, economists generally agree (with some not insignificant dissent) that copyright is a net good for society.

I'm not saying Jack is wrong, I'm just saying it's less clear than he wants it to be.

For the record, I find myself near Arebelspy's position: I think some amount of copyright is reasonable, but the length of current copyright protections is insane.  A 20 year copyright (to match the patent term) seems perfectly reasonable to me.  Not that the patent system is better, the term lengths may be the only reasonable part.  If one didn't want to shorten copyright terms, I think an alternative solution would be to develop better systems for the licensing of copyright works.  It's not a well designed system, but the mechanical licensing of songs for covers is a good example.  You don't need the copyright holders permission to cover a song- you simply need to notify them and pay them.  They can't reject you (so long as they have already released a version). 

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #282 on: September 15, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »
Plenty of times the creator wants to make more, or allow stuff to be made, but the creator/artist isn't necessarily the rights holder.

Then your issue is with creators who gave their rights over to a corporation, not with the issue of copyright in and of itself.

Artists benefit from reasonable length copyrights. 15, maybe 20 years.

You still haven't explained why it needs to be longer than that.

I explained that the burden of proof is on those who want to take ownership away, not those who want to keep it.  If you have ownership on something and I want to take it away from you, it seems I should have to prove my case.  It seems absurd to me that if someone cannot justify why they should be allowed to keep ownership over their own creation they should be forced to give it away.

As far as why it should be longer than that - because it belongs to the person who created it, that's all the justification I truly feel it needs.  If they want to give it away, they are welcome to do as they like with their own creation.

Yes, the public good. As we've said, the public benefits from ideas becoming open, allowing everyone to use them, modify them, improve them, etc.

It could also be said that allowing creative works to become open lowers the value of those ideas and dilutes the quality of the overall work, much like inflation lowers the value of a dollar.
(come on, at least give me props for making a MMM related analogy).

Think about patents.

As Jack mentioned before, patents, copyrights and trademarks are all very different things.
I'm not sure we can draw direct analogies between them.  Creative ideas and mechanical/technological innovations are very different and their potential value is affected in very different ways.

I will say, as a side note, that a lot of the topics being covered seem to be with how copyrights are dealt with.  I agree with you that many corporations benefit from copyrights, and its unfortunate that creators often sell or lose their ownership to corporations.  I also agree with just about everything Jack said earlier about the problems with copyright takedown notices on Youtube.  That's a huge problem that needs a real overhaul.

I guess my point is, I can see issue with the way copyrights are handled while still feeling that creators should have the right to keep control over their creation.  I definitely don't think our system is perfect, but forcing creators to give up control over their work doesn't seem like a great solution to me.

Then again, perhaps I've simply drank the kool aid for too long. I can't help but feel that most of those on the 'less copyright' side of the argument don't rely on creating original content for their livelihood.

I should get that Upton Sinclair quote tattooed on my arm.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #283 on: September 16, 2016, 05:21:56 AM »

That's a fair response, and one that I think sounds reasonable.  Something like a blanket 80 year copyright, or life plus 20 seems much more reasonable to me than the current limits.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #284 on: September 16, 2016, 05:26:43 AM »
I've been busy, but I'm mostly caught up.

As far as I understand the copyright argument, should all passive income streams have a time limit? Concentration of wealth seems to hurt society at least as badly as copyright protection. Or is it just that few people arguing against copyright have a dog in that fight?

I think that the world would be significantly better off as a whole if most of a person's wealth ended say no more than a couple hundred grand be passed on) with their death.  This prevents creation of an elite class who will never have to earn their fortune.  Society would be much better off were this implemented.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #285 on: September 16, 2016, 07:35:59 AM »
I came late to this thread and read it with a lot of interest. I won't wade into the copyright debate but I'm interested more in the initial conversation about making it as an artist. There are so many tiers and levels to the arts, it's hard to talk about it as if it were 1 thing:

- I live near one of the best art colleges in the country. A few friends I've made there major in animation. Sounds like a pretty crappy career choice, right? Except they've done internships at Disney and Cartoon Network and will probably end up at one of these companies and working with salaries and benefits not much differently than the engineers on this thread. I think many people forget about these types of jobs because they are so concentrated in just a few areas. Anyone using a Roku box to try to entertain their toddler will quickly learn that there are a bajillion animated things out there.

- There's an eccentric artist in my town who has immense talent. He makes art in the traditional sense - i.e. single pieces of work that he sells. He's done a lot of album covers too, including for Godspeed! You Black Emperor and Okkervil River. Though he makes a living, his income is always in flux in a way that I could never handle.

- Me. I work in engineering but write on the side, and have written since I was 10 years old. I make some money on freelance stuff, enough that it feels rewarding, but I'm very happy I don't have to live on an uncertain income. I have a novel, 5 years in the making, that I hope to self-publish next month. Sales will probably be modest, with a small chance that the right person will read it, leading to better things. If not, I'll continue the FIRE path in an attempt to create my own universal basic income for writing.

While I'd love to write full time for pay, I'm going to write no matter what. Like a lot of people called to write or make art or music, there is no way to turn off the spigot, no matter how bad the economics of the profession are. Anyone who says "I would be making this great art except I can't because I won't get paid" is probably being disingenuous, especially for something like writing where there is no upfront cost for materials to create the work. I wrote my novel in 2 hour chunks after work, before work, after children fell asleep, etc. Even if I don't succeed in FIRE, I've proven to myself that I can write a book every 4 years or so. If I live to be 80, that's a whole row on my bookshelf - something to be proud of.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #286 on: September 16, 2016, 07:46:17 AM »
I wrote my novel in 2 hour chunks after work, before work, after children fell asleep, etc. Even if I don't succeed in FIRE, I've proven to myself that I can write a book every 4 years or so. If I live to be 80, that's a whole row on my bookshelf - something to be proud of.

That really is something to be proud of.
Congrats.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2016, 08:43:49 AM »
Sorry, I've been busy (traveling for work) and wasn't able to keep up with this thread yesterday.

Guitar Steve and Jack,

That's all.

That is an aggressively simplistic view, and incredibly inaccurate in 2016. In 2016, copyright means:

• That manufacturers of electronic devices can add or remove features at will, stop you from running Free Software (e.g. Linux) or your own software on the device, etc. (See "tivoization.")
  • That when those electronic devices are embedded into a mechanical device -- like a farm tractor -- DRM and the DMCA is leveraged to circumvent your actual ownership rights to repair or modify the physical machinery you purchased
  • That simply by embedding some copyrighted thing into otherwise-uncopyrightable products or services, manufacturers and service providers can censor criticism of their business
  • That the copyright cartel is insisting on ever more invasive restrictions on the control you have over your own devices (e.g. they want to ban AdBlock, to eliminate all analog and/or non-DRM'd audio or video interfaces, to be given administrator access to your PC while you are prohibited from having it, etc.) making you defenseless against malware and hacking (sometimes perpetrated by them!).

All of these things are totally and completely unacceptable in a free society (as opposed to one where the concept of private ownership of property has been abolished). This expansion of copyright and associated laws is nothing less than a shift to a new Feudalism, where we are tied not to the land but to our information, which is controlled by feudal lords with names like Facebook, Sony and Comcast.

Because the truck keeps producing new value -- it keeps making and selling additional food. You are getting paid (albeit indirectly) for the act of producing food, not because the truck continues to exist.

Copyright is like parking the truck in a garage somewhere and expecting it to continue to produce income.

If he didn't survive me, or didn't survive me for long, I would be happy if proceeds went to the cause of my (pre-death) choice. If it went to the good of the world, that's great too. If it went into general funds (say, for war) I would be averse to creating stuff that generated income. (In that case, I would work for pay in a service industry.)

But, I do feel responsible to my kid, he has disabilities that will require support after I go such that I feel I need a long-term plan, and I'm aware of him being the only person affected by my process.

You're still thinking of it from the wrong (and IMO, incredibly selfish) perspective.

The real question is, "why should you get preferential treatment over everyone else who has to work for a living?"

For all the people who are not writers, their disabled kids are not automatically set for life because of the wages or salary they earned decades earlier. No, instead they have to save the money they earn while they're working and continuing to produce value and then use that to provide for the kid's needs in the future.

Similarly, there is no reason whatsoever why you as a writer shouldn't be required to save the income received during a reasonable copyright duration instead of forcing society to give you special treatment by granting what is effectively a perpetuity on labor you only did once!

I share that question.

Looks like I should have read further before I posted. Seems people are drawing a distinction between art, as an idea, and the notion of ownership and money, also ideas.

I'm not seeing the distinction between one social construct and the other. I believe the earlier comment on not understanding when the paycheck is on the line applies.

With a business, you (or your agents) are continuing to directly create value. With copyright, you've only created value yourself once and are instead effectively taxing others for creating their own value around it.

Also, all passive income streams do have limits: income taxes during their duration, and sales or estate taxes when transferring ownership (from one mortal and therefore inherently finite human to another). You could argue that the estate tax is too low, and I would probably agree with you. I'm not sure whether making it 100% would be a good thing or not.

If you accept the disingenuous and misleading term "intellectual property," you've already ceded a large part of the argument. Allowing copyright to be called that is one of the ways it becomes so easy for the copyright cartel to confuse people into comparing it with actual property, as MrDelane has done.

Copyright is not and never has been anything even slightly like a property right. That is the very first thing that must be crystal-clear to everyone in order to have an intelligent discussion about it.

Jack - do you have any other sources to read more arguments about this?
I'm really interested in this distinction that you keep pointing out between actual property and that "disingenuous and misleading term," intellectual property.

https://www.eff.org/issues/intellectual-property/the-term

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080306/003240458/if-intellectual-property-is-neither-intellectual-property-what-is-it.shtml

Fundamentally, the difference between property and non-property can be illustrated with a pretty simple example:

Imagine I'm a caveman and that I've found a sharp rock. This rock is pretty useful: I can kill my prey by whacking it in the head with it, I can cut down trees to build shelters with it, I can skin animals to make clothing with it, etc. All the other cavemen are envious and would like to be able to use the rock too, but they can't because there's only one and I'm holding it -- it's physically impossible for everyone to use it at once. Therefore, for someone else to use it they'd have to take it from me, harming me. Since I have a natural right to self-defense, I also have a natural right to prevent someone from taking my rock. That's what makes it my property.

Now imagine I'm a caveman and I've created a sharp rock by figuring out how to chip pieces off it. The particular sharp rock I created is still mine, but now I can show the other cavemen the technique (or maybe they can figure it out on their own) so that they can create sharp rocks for themselves. So then they can use sharp rocks, but I still have mine too -- I've lost nothing. I've not been harmed. What natural right would I have to keep my technique for creating sharp rocks secret? None! That's what makes the idea not property.

I'd like to add that Jack's repeated statement that intellectual property is not the same as physical property, while true, isn't the complete story.

The legal framework in the US is primarily Utilitarian, but the law also draws from a philosophical tradition called the labor theory of ownership, in which ownership of ideas is considered a natural right (and therefore as real as property rights).  The basic idea is that through their labor creators make a thing theirs (like gathering berries in the woods makes them yours) so long as they do not unduly stop others from accessing the same resource (by taking all the berries/protecting to basic or broad an idea).

Indeed, that's the theory under which we got the original reasonable term of copyright. Now the copyright cartels have turned that theory on its head, such that we're now conferring continued "ownership" of the idea even though the creator has long since stopped laboring, and indeed even gifting him with ownership of other people's labor (see again the Bitter Sweet Symphony lawsuit mentioned earlier).

A return to the labor theory of ownership would be a marked improvement over the Bizzarro-world version of it expressed in current copyright law.

I explained that the burden of proof is on those who want to take ownership away, not those who want to keep it.  If you have ownership on something and I want to take it away from you, it seems I should have to prove my case.

No, the key word there is "If." The burden of proof is upon those who assert ownership in the first place. You can't take away something that doesn't exist.

Then again, perhaps I've simply drank the kool aid for too long. I can't help but feel that most of those on the 'less copyright' side of the argument don't rely on creating original content for their livelihood.

I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread is perfectly clear on why many copyright holders support infinite increases in the scope and duration of copyright -- forcing the public to pay you for doing no additional work is a pretty damn sweet gig!

The question you need to ask yourself is this: why should you be entitled to have your privileged livelihood enforced by State violence?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #288 on: September 16, 2016, 08:53:09 AM »
- I live near one of the best art colleges in the country. A few friends I've made there major in animation. Sounds like a pretty crappy career choice, right? Except they've done internships at Disney and Cartoon Network and will probably end up at one of these companies and working with salaries and benefits not much differently than the engineers on this thread. I think many people forget about these types of jobs because they are so concentrated in just a few areas. Anyone using a Roku box to try to entertain their toddler will quickly learn that there are a bajillion animated things out there.

My wife also majored in animation. She's not working at Disney or Cartoon Network -- I keep telling her to go work at Williams Street (which is literally only a few blocks away from my job...), but she thinks she isn't good enough -- but she makes a reasonably average salary creating art anyway. (Not an engineer's salary in our experience, though.)

But that's the key: even though she's an artist, she works for a living. She gets paid for her time like everybody else, and she isn't entitled to royalties for the rest of her life.

Manguy888

• Bristles
    • EA Mann, Writer
« Reply #289 on: September 16, 2016, 09:12:47 AM »
I wrote my novel in 2 hour chunks after work, before work, after children fell asleep, etc. Even if I don't succeed in FIRE, I've proven to myself that I can write a book every 4 years or so. If I live to be 80, that's a whole row on my bookshelf - something to be proud of.

That really is something to be proud of.
Congrats.

Thanks - I really appreciate the kind words.

scrubbyfish

« Reply #290 on: September 16, 2016, 09:33:38 AM »
I think that the world would be significantly better off as a whole if most of a person's wealth ended say no more than a couple hundred grand be passed on) with their death.  This prevents creation of an elite class who will never have to earn their fortune.  Society would be much better off were this implemented.

Agreed. This would be one aspect of an economic system I'd prefer over our current one.

Anyone who says "I would be making this great art except I can't because I won't get paid" is probably being disingenuous, especially for something like writing where there is no upfront cost for materials to create the work.

Like you, I find there's no way to turn off the spigot.

But differently, I find there is a cost and stress difference between: journalling or drafting vs endlessly revising, editing, proofreading, layout, distribution, etc. I think it's fair for writers to say they can do the former for free but not any of the latter.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: September 16, 2016, 11:27:18 AM »
But differently, I find there is a cost and stress difference between: journalling or drafting vs endlessly revising, editing, proofreading, layout, distribution, etc. I think it's fair for writers to say they can do the former for free but not any of the latter.

That is a good point, and raises another issue: "editing, proofreading, layout, distribution, etc." are all the things publishers do, and it's really been mostly publishers (not artists) who have been the main force pushing to expand copyright.

But with the Internet and other computer technology, how much of that is really necessary? Text editors have spell check (and sometimes an attempt at grammar check)*. Blogging platforms like Wordpress will do most of the layout for you (or if you're picky, you can get pro-level traditional page layout pretty easily with TeX). The Internet makes distribution too easy according to some of the people in this discussion.

(* I realize human editors do more than that, but still...)

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »

While I'd love to write full time for pay, I'm going to write no matter what. Like a lot of people called to write or make art or music, there is no way to turn off the spigot, no matter how bad the economics of the profession are. Anyone who says "I would be making this great art except I can't because I won't get paid" is probably being disingenuous, especially for something like writing where there is no upfront cost for materials to create the work. I wrote my novel in 2 hour chunks after work, before work, after children fell asleep, etc. Even if I don't succeed in FIRE, I've proven to myself that I can write a book every 4 years or so. If I live to be 80, that's a whole row on my bookshelf - something to be proud of.

There's a lot already written about outsider art and the privilege of having the time to dedicate to art and the disadvantage of having to 'reinvent the wheel' due to lack of training. It's not disingenuous to recognize that having a ton of time and resources to devote to producing a skill and product is an important factor in making a better result. Esp since many of the traditional arts and crafts were designed to recognize high level of training and time dedicated to the skill.

Wouldn't it be nice if you could pay for an editor? Or pay an artist to create a cover for your book? Have you taken courses in writing, college courses or tutorials that had tuition? How many books have you read? Would you like to speak to authors who have published, maybe pay to go to a seminar or book signing so you can pick their brains? I think you're underestimating the cost that you have sunk in or the potential cost to elevate your practice.

Further, depending on your field, the cost of physical supplies can be very real. One thing that I care about deeply as a conservator is that a lot of outsider and contemporary art is at real risk of being destroyed by time. These artists either didn't have the funds or training to buy pigments and materials that were professional. that is to say, their materials are less stable, more likely to degenerate over time, and have less fastedness to light and to each other. The prototype of this would be "the scream"

http://www.hf.uio.no/iakh/english/research/projects/aula-project/munch-150/paper-abstracts/aslaksby_munch150_abstract.pdf
http://munchmuseet.no/en/konservering-2

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #293 on: September 16, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if you could pay for an editor? Or pay an artist to create a cover for your book? Have you taken courses in writing, college courses or tutorials that had tuition? How many books have you read? Would you like to speak to authors who have published, maybe pay to go to a seminar or book signing so you can pick their brains? I think you're underestimating the cost that you have sunk in or the potential cost to elevate your practice.

Again, "wouldn't it be nice" is the wrong -- or at least, highly suggestive and therefore biased -- question to ask. Of course it would be nice! Lots of luxuries would be "nice!" And everybody has a list of "nice" things that would help them do their jobs better, even if their jobs have nothing to do with copyright.

The real question is, why do you think you should be entitled to get all those benefits at society's expense?

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #294 on: September 16, 2016, 02:20:22 PM »
The real question is, why do you think you should be entitled to get all those benefits at society's expense?
:)
Because art is what, when we look back at those who came before us, matters.
Examples:
Architecture in Rome
Cave paintings in Lascaux
The great Sagas and Epics like the Iliad
Beethoven's symphonies

These matter. These are not "at society's expense." These ARE society, or what will be left of it.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #295 on: September 16, 2016, 02:27:09 PM »
Examples:
Architecture in Rome
Beethoven's symphonies

These matter. These are not "at society's expense." These ARE society, or what will be left of it.

I love this post; thank you for proving my point!

All of those works were created before modern ridiculous copyright existed.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #296 on: September 16, 2016, 03:08:23 PM »
I was just thinking today about how rampant, unfettered piracy and ad-block plug-ins forced me to give up on my dream of being a professional writer. Looking around, technology has pretty much laid waste to every career in the arts in the United States. It was never an easy career path but now it's basically like trying to make a living by playing slot machines at a casino.

What do you think it would take to bring back the arts as professional careers? Would we have to abridge the 1st Amendment? Would we have to adopt draconian copyright laws like some other nations have?

(And don't try to say that the arts are still great career fields. Just look around. 'Nuff said.)

The people that are good enough to make a living in the arts are making a living in the arts.  Many of them rank among some of the wealthiest humans that ever lived.  I am sorry that you weren't good enough.  I also was not good enough.  I hope someday to improve to the point where I am, but the failure here is not in your stars, it is in yourself.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: September 16, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
Examples:
Architecture in Rome
Beethoven's symphonies

I love this post; thank you for proving my point!

All of those works were created before modern ridiculous copyright existed.
Many of these people were compensated by societies that valued art in ways that our current one doesn't (i.e. patronage). And many of these artists lived, worked, and died in object poverty, and we only realized how important their work was long after the fact.
I don't believe the fact that copyright didn't exist during those times (and that art was produced despite it) equates that it's unimportant or unnecessary in ours. I posit that I did not prove your point at all.

Art is important, and should be valued. Copyright is one way people are ATTEMPTING to value it in our time. The last thing I'm arguing is that it's perfect (the examples illustrating where the transformative work clause is getting stamped out by Big Labels is an example of where it's really  broken), however it's one way in which artists are provided a means of income from their work. Since none of us can go work like Beethoven did, it's acting as a replacement structure.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #298 on: September 16, 2016, 03:33:17 PM »

Agreed. This would be one aspect of an economic system I'd prefer over our current one.

Anyone who says "I would be making this great art except I can't because I won't get paid" is probably being disingenuous, especially for something like writing where there is no upfront cost for materials to create the work.

Like you, I find there's no way to turn off the spigot.

Wouldn't that be an argument against UBI?  Why should anyone have to earn income?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #299 on: September 16, 2016, 05:02:36 PM »

Good point.  I have a friend from junior high whom we always envied his art skills; he now designs levels for Blizzard for World of Warcraft.  Lots of artistic jobs opened up by computers.

(And yes, you could argue it's mundane, not creative.  Maybe, maybe not.  An artist of ye olde days may have thought doing portraits for rich people all day so he could do his fun art in his non working hours was somewhat tedious too.)