Author Topic: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?  (Read 265985 times)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
Re: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?
« Reply #650 on: April 03, 2018, 06:34:15 PM »
Supper from cans: red beans and rice, collard greens with siracha, fruit cocktail.

Chippewa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #651 on: April 07, 2018, 08:32:14 PM »
tofu pad Thai and strawberries.

Nancy

« Reply #652 on: April 19, 2018, 06:15:13 PM »
I made Caribbean Jerk Chili from Vegan: The Cookbook. It was tasty. Made my jerk seasoning using this: http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/jamaican-jerk-seasoning-156341
Tasty!

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #653 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:06 PM »
Carmelized onions, canned garbanzos and Maldon sea salt.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #654 on: April 19, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
I veganized my curried squash chowder recipe by replacing bacon grease with coconut oil and half and half cream with coconut milk. We are not vegan but I want to learn more vegan/veggie recipes. Almost as delicious as the original (nothing quite replaces bacon haha!). And filled with veggies from a homemade veggie stock to loads of onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash. Super filling especially since I added pureed celery, onions and carrots (from the veggie stock)

Gotta dig through this thread more for inspiration :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #655 on: April 20, 2018, 07:49:10 AM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/19/french-mps-ban-misleading-vegetarian-food-products/

Hey you all, what do you think of this?

I had to get off Facebook because someone I know posted this in celebration, with many people joining in. I will say at the outset, yes, there are other, cheaper low impact ways to get protein than fake bacon, sausages, patties etc. However I grew up eating meat, and I am glad there are things like vegetarian sausage, mushroom based veggie burgers, and almond or rice milk to eat and drink when I feel like not eating meat products. However according to FB posters, the reason they support this, is NOT because they think meat eaters will be "confused" and think that soy milk actually has milk in it (which is the ostensible reason of the change in labeling), but that if you are vegetarian/vegan, you shouldn't WANT to eat things that are meat-like in any way! And since third world people can't eat real bacon and burgers, so eating fake bacon and burgers is offensive to those third world people. FFS.  Sample comments
"Eat what you want, but don't make a stink about animal rights, while munching fake "bacon" and "cheese"!" 
"I find these 1st World eating trends absurd (except for in cases of allergies) Starving people are not picky, and so much more of the word IS starving, and can't afford packaged organic hay products!"
"vegan bacon was made to look like a strip of unground animal"

Why do I find this kind of stuff incredibly judgemental and irritating?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:20:11 AM by partgypsy »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #656 on: April 20, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »
So, a good friend of mine from long ago and far away just moved to my city!  Yay!  She became vegan last year and we went to a local mostly vegan fancy restaurant last night that she's eaten at before.

OMG

I cook a lot of vegan food at home, but this stuff was awesome.

Gluten free crostini with blackberries and a macadamia butter/cheese that was sooo good.
Spicy tacos
Brussels sprouts with hummus, onion, pepitas. 

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #657 on: April 20, 2018, 01:31:47 PM »
spaghetti and (fake) meatballs for me, regular meatballs for kids. Would not recommend the meatballs. Next time will just add a bunch of sauteed mushrooms, onions, and black olives to my part of the sauce.

I enjoy the Trader Joe and Gardein fake meatballs

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #658 on: April 20, 2018, 03:37:19 PM »
I'm eating dulse seaweed from the Maine Coast Sea Vegetable company.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: April 21, 2018, 12:27:20 PM »
@partgypsy the ban is dumb, and your friend's arguments are nonsensical. You can't talk about animal rights while eating fake bacon? What, are they worried you're going to hurt a pig's feelings?

I'm sure that the ban was influenced by lobbying from the meat and dairy industries, as the US dairy industry has been trying to get the government to ban calling milk alternatives "milk" for years.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #660 on: April 22, 2018, 01:22:42 AM »
I veganized my curried squash chowder recipe by replacing bacon grease with coconut oil and half and half cream with coconut milk. We are not vegan but I want to learn more vegan/veggie recipes. Almost as delicious as the original (nothing quite replaces bacon haha!). And filled with veggies from a homemade veggie stock to loads of onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash. Super filling especially since I added pureed celery, onions and carrots (from the veggie stock)

Do you have a link to the recipe or please can you jot it down for me? I made pumpkin soup last week but it wasn't very tasty or filling as a stand alone meal. Curried chowder sounds like a better option!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #661 on: April 22, 2018, 08:27:56 AM »
Yes, it irritated me to no end, that words originally associated with animal products, like steak, sausage, burger, milk, butter, cream, are forever owned by the meat and dairy industry, and non- animal products are forbidden from using those words. The posters were also against the use of words coconut milk and coconut cream. But, there's no reasoning with someone who argues against statements that languages change and evolve, and words can have more than one meaning.

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #662 on: May 01, 2018, 07:35:40 PM »
I made vegan chickpea salad sandwiches for the first time. DH and I both liked them but my 3-year-old didn't like the capers, and my 1-year-old threw hers on the floor. You win some, you lose some.

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/5-vegan-sandwiches/

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #663 on: May 06, 2018, 07:41:52 PM »
Simple but tasty: currently eating chopped up carrots and red capsicum.

jengod

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #664 on: May 06, 2018, 11:55:23 PM »
Made this for dinner tonight; one of my favorites.

https://goop.com/recipes/sweet-potato-black-bean-kale-skillet/
Sweet Potato, Black Bean & Kale Skillet

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #665 on: May 23, 2018, 02:34:48 AM »
I made vegan chickpea salad sandwiches for the first time. DH and I both liked them but my 3-year-old didn't like the capers, and my 1-year-old threw hers on the floor. You win some, you lose some.

https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/5-vegan-sandwiches/

Haha ;)

Thanks for the recipe! I love chickpea salad sandwiches. I make mine with capers, vegan mayo, dijon mustard,  sliced pickles and nori sheets in little pieces and fish spices (some mix) to make some sort of "tuna" salad. I make a whole big bowl full for 4 people and eat it all myself. I should make this version as well.

BNgarden

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #666 on: May 23, 2018, 03:05:17 PM »
Beatnuts (beet and nut pate) with almond feta and cucumbers.  Yumm!

http://impactmagazine.ca/nutrition/recipes/the-coups-beatnuts/

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #667 on: May 25, 2018, 03:42:52 PM »
I just got an Instant Pot so decided I needed to make a delicious vegan meal.  So I put in a cup of uncooked black turtle beans, a cup of rice, a cup of frozen corn, some onion and garlic, some salsa, spices, and 30 minutes later served up on some corn tortillas I cooked. Yummy!  Now making some artisanal bread.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: May 26, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »
Spring rolls with vermicelli noodles, veggies, tofu & mint and peanut/chili/ginger sauce.
Perfect summer meal :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #669 on: May 27, 2018, 04:51:03 PM »
Easy homemade Orange Julius: frozen bananas, single-serve cup of mandarin oranges, chocolate protein powder (free from a health fair).

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #670 on: June 05, 2018, 11:03:12 AM »
For lunch I've got Buffalo Cauliflower and a soup that tastes surprisingly like chicken soup even though it's vegan.  I made Indian dal, but instead of putting in Indian spices I went in a Mediterranean direction.  Masoor dal, Garlic, Olive oil, onion, thyme, parsley, Bay leaves,  a few bits of carrot then just a tiny bit of turmeric.  I can't figure out why it tastes like chicken soup to me

FIRE@50

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #671 on: June 05, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »
Peanut butter sandwich made with wheat toast.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #672 on: June 06, 2018, 11:42:40 AM »
Peanut butter sandwich on sourdough. Vegetarian burittos. Caesar salad. Banana. Grapes. Water. Bagel with cheese.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #673 on: June 06, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »
Veggie wrap.  Which I scrounged after a work meeting had cleared out.  Yay, free food!

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #674 on: June 12, 2018, 08:04:49 AM »
I just got an Instant Pot so decided I needed to make a delicious vegan meal.  So I put in a cup of uncooked black turtle beans, a cup of rice, a cup of frozen corn, some onion and garlic, some salsa, spices, and 30 minutes later served up on some corn tortillas I cooked. Yummy!  Now making some artisanal bread.

Nice! I also got an instant pot a few months back but I haven't made enough in it yet. Some lentil curry, sweet potatoes and that's it. I should use it more. I even bought some vegan instant pot cookbooks. I already bought different kinds of dry beans to make triple bean chili. I make so much stuff that I also could make in the instant pot but I need to figure it out more. Just use it!

If you have good recipes and want to share, that'll be great!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #675 on: June 20, 2018, 03:39:26 PM »

Nice! I also got an instant pot a few months back but I haven't made enough in it yet. Some lentil curry, sweet potatoes and that's it. I should use it more. I even bought some vegan instant pot cookbooks. I already bought different kinds of dry beans to make triple bean chili. I make so much stuff that I also could make in the instant pot but I need to figure it out more. Just use it!

This is a link to one of my favorites.  It is for the artisanal crusty bread I mentioned.  So delicious!

https://tidbits-marci.com/instant-pot-whole-wheat-crusty-bread/

Honestly, what I do is think of something I want to make, and I will then Google the term with "vegan instant pot" as part of it.  I've found recipes for marinara, vegetable soup, pasta bolognese, etc.  So many recipes out there, and since I am WFPB no oil, I will sometimes have to look at a few to find ones that have ingredients I already have (or can sub) and avoid the ones that include things I don't want (like oil and sugar).

Sanne

• Stubble
« Reply #676 on: June 21, 2018, 01:57:40 AM »

This is a link to one of my favorites.  It is for the artisanal crusty bread I mentioned.  So delicious!

https://tidbits-marci.com/instant-pot-whole-wheat-crusty-bread/

Honestly, what I do is think of something I want to make, and I will then Google the term with "vegan instant pot" as part of it.  I've found recipes for marinara, vegetable soup, pasta bolognese, etc.  So many recipes out there, and since I am WFPB no oil, I will sometimes have to look at a few to find ones that have ingredients I already have (or can sub) and avoid the ones that include things I don't want (like oil and sugar).

Ah, thank you so much! So helpful and the recipe for the bread sounds sooo good.

I also try to eat mostly WFPB no oil so that comment was helpful too. Do you know the high carb hannah YT channel? She also has a few instant pot recipes without oil.

I think I just have to do it. Make some more recipes and get used to it.

Lookilu

• Stubble
« Reply #677 on: July 03, 2018, 12:41:35 PM »
Country greens (collards, turnip & mustard) green pie, similar to this one http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/greek-greens-sweet-onion-pie but made with this crust rather than phyllo: https://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/22/science/22recipehealth.html with some artichoke hearts thrown in. Yum!

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #678 on: July 03, 2018, 01:34:39 PM »
Yesterday I threw some dried pinto and black beans into the Instant Pot with some tomatoes, onions, garlic and a lot of spices to make some delicious chili, and today made some rice in the IP to make the leftovers more substantial.  Now I have enough for a meal tomorrow too!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #679 on: July 03, 2018, 01:49:51 PM »
A fresh apricot for my afternoon snack.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #680 on: July 03, 2018, 06:21:34 PM »
Groundnut stew, liberally modified over the years from what I think was originally a Moosehead recipe.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #681 on: July 09, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
Lentil taco rice

(Lentil taco “meat” over brown rice. I added a bit of shredded cheese and sour cream because I’m not vegan and Herdez guacamole salsa because it’s delicious; husband topped his with kimchi).

redbirdfan

• Stubble
« Reply #682 on: July 09, 2018, 08:15:25 PM »
homemade quinoa, black bean, avocado and kale bowl with turmeric, garlic and nooch.  It'll be the same thing for the next two dinners. 

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: July 10, 2018, 09:49:27 PM »
I made a salad with black beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, parsley, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. It was super easy and good. My picky kids liked it too, except for the parsley.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #684 on: July 11, 2018, 10:46:16 AM »
Tabouleh . . . with a soaked chia seed pudding/drink.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #685 on: July 11, 2018, 11:45:39 AM »
Vegan lentil soup.

https://cookieandkate.com/2015/vegan-lentil-soup-recipe/

This one uses curry and lemon juice together to make a very bright flavor. My favorite part is that it's good hot or cold. I don't use olive oil, I use anything that's good with high heat as you cook the onions and carrots in the oil. Also, collards don't cook as fast as this recipe suggests so unless you like crunchy collards, kale or precooked collards would be better.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #686 on: July 15, 2018, 01:19:46 PM »
Homemade baba ghannouj and crackers.

Bendigirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #688 on: August 13, 2018, 11:05:47 AM »
Green bean stir-fry with honey sesame sauce. 

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #689 on: August 13, 2018, 11:29:50 AM »
Ripe pears from my backyard, and batter scrapings from the brownies in the oven.

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #690 on: August 13, 2018, 05:25:46 PM »

Do you have a link to the recipe or please can you jot it down for me? I made pumpkin soup last week but it wasn't very tasty or filling as a stand alone meal. Curried chowder sounds like a better option!
Well, this was many months ago. So sorry about taking so long to reply! I had gotten the recipe from Allrecipes 10-15 years ago but it's disappeared now. Here it is:

1. Cook 1/2 pound bacon (diced) gently over low heated for 5 minutes.
*To veganize, I replace this with a couple of spoonfuls of coconut oil.
2. Add 2 cups chopped onions, stirring for 10 mins
3. Stir in 2 teaspoons curry powder and 2 tablespoons flour, stirring for 5 mins
4. Add cubed pumpkins/squash (1 lb), cubed potatoes (2 large), and 4 cups chicken stock. increase heat to medium low and cook until tender, about 20-30 mins.
5. Add 1 cup half and half and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5 mins
*To veganize, substitute with coconut milk/cream
6. Garnish with pumpkin seeds and green onions.

I find this very filling. For low calories, skip the cream and reduce the potatoes, replacing it with more pumpkin / whatever squash is on sale.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #691 on: August 13, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »
A frozen dinner version of "salad" with kale, feta, white beans. It's actually pretty good if not very salad-y. It's called "power bowl" and made for a far better than you might expect $3.50 dinner.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #692 on: August 13, 2018, 07:33:23 PM »
Made this for dinner tonight: https://frommybowl.com/one-pot-mushroom-stroganoff/

Added some veggie protein crumbles and some garlic (obviously a typo by the recipe author to leave out the garlic...) and it was a success: husband got seconds!

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #693 on: August 13, 2018, 07:56:56 PM »
Made this for dinner tonight: https://frommybowl.com/one-pot-mushroom-stroganoff/

Added some veggie protein crumbles and some garlic (obviously a typo by the recipe author to leave out the garlic...) and it was a success: husband got seconds!
Mmmmmmm....looks yummy! I added it to my recipe list. And told DH we need to buy cashews tomorrow so I can make cashew butter just for this recipe. My son would love it.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #694 on: August 13, 2018, 09:30:56 PM »
Thanks @elaine amj ! In the meantime I did another try, this time roasting the pumpkin with a carrot, onion, potato and garlic and it was delicious and way more filling. A bit of parmesan on top didn't hurt either. I'll give your version a go next but roast everything first.

Last night I did red lentils in the slow cooker with stock, pumpkin, onion and lemon slices plus pepper, cumin, turmeric and coriander. Instead of blending it I just mushed it up with the spoon. It was ok but it needed the parmesan we put on top or maybe coconut cream would work. I used 2 cups of lentils to about a quarter of a Kent pumpkin and I think I'll do half a pumpkin next time to make it less floury. Two soup ladles of that and I was very full.

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #695 on: August 14, 2018, 05:53:03 PM »
Beans and rice, the frugal vegan staple! Of course, there's also garlic, onions, tomatoes, spices, etc in there.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #696 on: August 14, 2018, 06:04:58 PM »
I'm just waiting on the slow release of my Instant Pot so I can eat the soup I just made.  Lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, various spices, and some veggie broth.  So good (even in hot weather).

clarkai

• Stubble
« Reply #697 on: August 14, 2018, 06:41:31 PM »
Oooh, I really am thinking about getting an instant pot. It seems like it would be a big time saver for me, because we eat so many beans. What are your favorite things to make in it?

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #698 on: August 14, 2018, 09:18:36 PM »
Instant pit is perfect for stock, soup and beans. I also like it for hard boiled eggs, caramelized onions, making yogurt, rice, quinoa, congee, and slow-cooked dishes like pulled pork. Love it for ribs (I pressure cook and then broil in oven / grill on BBQ or fire). Also good for cheesecake.

It's a tool like anything else. It's faster for things that should be cooked low and slow but not good for things you want to monitor closely and check continuously.  Slower for cooking vegetables and simple-to-heat foods.

We love ours and use it all the time. Partly because it replaced my nonstick rice cooker with a gorgeous stainless steel pot that does the exact same thing.

Will

• Pencil Stache
  • What the deuce?!?!?
« Reply #699 on: August 15, 2018, 12:47:04 AM »
Oooh, I really am thinking about getting an instant pot. It seems like it would be a big time saver for me, because we eat so many beans. What are your favorite things to make in it?

I use my Instant Pot almost every day.  I like to use it for soups, chili, "burrito bowls" of rice and beans, quinoa, some pasta dishes (a delicious vegan tofu bolognese), marinara sauce.  I think my favorite thing though is the crusty artisan bread!  Delicious, and my friends ask me to make it over and over and want the recipe.

I saw today that Costco carries Instant Pots, but I found a better deal on eBay.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!