Author Topic: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?  (Read 265978 times)

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
Re: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?
« Reply #500 on: June 28, 2017, 02:59:20 AM »
A bowl of accidentally-vegan breakfast cereal with soya milk.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #501 on: June 28, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
Actually did have avocado toast for breakfast today - whole wheat bread from Kroger ($2 for I believe 20 slices - not sure) and the avocado cost $1 but I only had half of it.  So about $.75 (rounded up) when you factor in the minimal amounts of Montreal Steak seasoning I put on it.

We cooked up a quinoa mix this week for lunches - quinoa, sweet potatoes, onions, red peppers, various spices.

Someone above mentioned chips not being all too healthy - see if you can find Beanitos near you.  They are, as the name implies, bean-based and pack a lot of protein.  Much better than the corn + oil chips that are fairly standard.  Costco had a sale this month (it might be over?) on 4th of July chips that were made with amaranth, some seeds, and some other ingredients (I can't remember) that were healthier than just corn.  A tad more expensive per ounce when compared to the Kirkland tortilla chips, but the sale brought it more in line.

Since this is my first post in this thread (new to the forums after lurking for a few months) - our goal is to buy veggie/vegan burgers if we can get them for $1/patty but we really strive to beat that when we can with sales and whatnot.  Unfortunately, Boca burgers are just pretty bad so it takes some creativity to find <$1/patties on veggie burgers.  The marsala burgers from Trader Joe's are a staple.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #502 on: June 28, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »
Actually did have avocado toast for breakfast today - whole wheat bread from Kroger ($2 for I believe 20 slices - not sure) and the avocado cost $1 but I only had half of it.  So about $.75 (rounded up) when you factor in the minimal amounts of Montreal Steak seasoning I put on it.

We cooked up a quinoa mix this week for lunches - quinoa, sweet potatoes, onions, red peppers, various spices.

Someone above mentioned chips not being all too healthy - see if you can find Beanitos near you.  They are, as the name implies, bean-based and pack a lot of protein.  Much better than the corn + oil chips that are fairly standard.  Costco had a sale this month (it might be over?) on 4th of July chips that were made with amaranth, some seeds, and some other ingredients (I can't remember) that were healthier than just corn.  A tad more expensive per ounce when compared to the Kirkland tortilla chips, but the sale brought it more in line.

Since this is my first post in this thread (new to the forums after lurking for a few months) - our goal is to buy veggie/vegan burgers if we can get them for $1/patty but we really strive to beat that when we can with sales and whatnot.  Unfortunately, Boca burgers are just pretty bad so it takes some creativity to find <$1/patties on veggie burgers.  The marsala burgers from Trader Joe's are a staple.

I wonder if you can make veggie burger patties yourself, beans? mushrooms? ground flax seed?

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #503 on: June 28, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »

Yeah Boca burgers are loaded with so much junk! The Trader Joe's marsala and Dr Praegers burgers are ok. My favorite is Aldi's Chipotle Black Bean burgers, 4-pack for $2.79. Also have made these burgers from scratch (someone else on this thread recommended them) and they're really good, but takes a bit of time: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/chipotle-sweet-potato-burgers/

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #504 on: June 28, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »
^We recently moved, but have been meaning to check out Aldi.  I'll put those black bean burgers on the list when we make it there.

UPDATE - WOW what a steal at Aldi on these veggie burgers.  They're so much cheaper than we've found elsewhere and the ingredients are almost all whole foods!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:33:36 PM by DarkandStormy »

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #505 on: July 12, 2017, 11:45:18 AM »
meal prepped dal + brown rice + corn tortillas (naan not on hand, this is a great substitute) ;)

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: July 12, 2017, 12:35:35 PM »
Just finished off whole wheat pasta + cooked broccoli and asparagus with these cheese sauce - http://simpledailyrecipes.com/video/jills-instant-pot-mac-n-cheesy-beans/  Obviously we skipped the bean part of this recipe but used the cheese sauce recipe and supplemented with some sunflower seeds.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #507 on: July 12, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
This morning for breakfast I had my smoothie - frozen spinach, frozen broccoli, carrots, banana, flaxseed, chia seeds, PB2 powder, 1/2 cup frozen berries, and 1 tsp blackstrap molasses. Yum. :)

For lunch I had a piece of Raise the Roof Sweet Potato Lasagna which I made on Sunday. Last night when my DH got home from work, he had the option of making cube steak sandwiches or eating a piece of the lasagna. To my pleased shock, he chose the lasagna! (He is a meat eater, and I am not.)

Tonight for dinner it will probably be a sweet potato and asparagus w/homemade cashew butter (maybe sweetened with cinnamon.)

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #508 on: July 13, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
This morning for breakfast I had my smoothie - frozen spinach, frozen broccoli, carrots, banana, flaxseed, chia seeds, PB2 powder, 1/2 cup frozen berries, and 1 tsp blackstrap molasses. Yum. :)

Yummy! I would not have thought to use molasses in a smootie. Must go. I have a smoothie to make :)

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #509 on: July 13, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »

Yummy! I would not have thought to use molasses in a smootie. Must go. I have a smoothie to make :)

It's the only way I can tolerate it. :)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: July 14, 2017, 06:13:28 AM »
I'm having some yummy herb flavoured crisps.

Be careful. I've read avocado toast is the first step to bankruptcy.

Haha, yes I read that.:)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #511 on: July 14, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
I've got some Tabouleh for lunch.  It's surprisingly awesome and easy to make.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #512 on: July 14, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »

Do you have any recipe links?  Would love to try to make it!

Lunch today - lentils (with some spices & onions mixed in) + spinach.  A little boring but better than spending $8+ out!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #513 on: July 14, 2017, 08:59:31 AM »

Lunch today - lentils (with some spices & onions mixed in) + spinach.  A little boring but better than spending $8+ out!

My wife makes it (and I'm not sure if she was following a recipe), but it seems pretty straight forward:

- 3 large tomatoes sliced up into little bits
- 2 English cucmbers sliced up into little bits
- A handful of fresh mint sliced up small
- Two handfuls of fresh parsley
- A fair amount of olive oil (between 1/2 a cup and a cup)
- Several splashes of lime (or lemon) juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups of quinoa or bulger
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 8 to 10 green onions finely chopped

We usually add a cup or so of beans in too.

Just cut it up, mix it all together and let it sit in the fridge overnight for the flavours to soak together.  No need to cook and no need to heat it up makes it awesome for summer.

EDIT - forgot the garlic and onions!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:11:23 PM by GuitarStv »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #514 on: July 16, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
Leftover black bean stew with some pita chips. Glass of wine. Cherries.

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
« Reply #515 on: August 03, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »
Blueberry salsa! Same as if you were making tomato salsa, but use blueberries and mash them up a bit with a potato masher or something similar. I also made tomato salsa because I had one huge tomato and all the other ingredients already out.

Tonight or tomorrow I will be making zucchini/corn fritters - I'm going to try cooking them with the waffle maker, which should hopefully be cooler than frying in a skillet.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #516 on: August 03, 2017, 04:39:12 PM »

My wife makes it (and I'm not sure if she was following a recipe), but it seems pretty straight forward:

- Salt to taste
- 4 large cloves garlic

Just cut it up, mix it all together and let it sit in the fridge overnight for the flavours to soak together.  No need to cook and no need to heat it up makes it awesome for summer.

That sounds really good:)
I hate the taste of quinoa, but I love bulgur - I thought you had to cook bulgur? Is it safe to just eat after soaking it overnight in the dressing?
Also, do you use a particular kind of bulgur?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #517 on: August 03, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
Homemade lentil curry soup with spinach and mixed veggies. With Doritoes crumbled in because that's the way I roll. Store brand, of course.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #518 on: August 04, 2017, 02:27:14 PM »

- Salt to taste
- 4 large cloves garlic

That sounds really good:)
I hate the taste of quinoa, but I love bulgur - I thought you had to cook bulgur? Is it safe to just eat after soaking it overnight in the dressing?
Also, do you use a particular kind of bulgur?

Fuck yes, my bad, cook it!  Whatever starch you use needs to be cooked before hand.  This element is pretty flexible in the recipe though.  You can also use (cooked) couscous in a pinch.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of quinoa either but it's tolerable in tabouleh.

BrightFIRE

• Stubble
Hiyayakko - Japanese summer dish
« Reply #519 on: August 04, 2017, 07:04:23 PM »
I finally got my hands on some fresh tofu, so was able to try Japanese hiyayakko (basically, cold cubed tofu with garnishes). It was really good! I topped it with grated ginger, toasted sesame seeds, sliced scallion and tamari.

Served with rice, a bean sprout salad and snap peas with chile and mint (probably not Japanese, but all items purchased at Asian grocer) as a crunchy contrast. Would have been vegan except that I sprinkled furikake on my rice that had bonito flakes in it.

I also made a nectarine/blueberry crisp, but we're too stuffed with tofu to eat it - I think it will be breakfast with some yogurt.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 07:11:13 PM by BrightFIRE »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #520 on: August 04, 2017, 08:02:59 PM »
I made a giant pot of black beans, (careful soaking beforehand), and cooked them til they were deliciously tender.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #521 on: August 05, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »
Steamed carrots.  YUM!!  :)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: August 05, 2017, 11:58:35 AM »
Spinach and feta calzone.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #523 on: August 05, 2017, 09:03:03 PM »
I made an omelet with eggs, collards and onion.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #524 on: August 07, 2017, 07:01:47 AM »
Cooked in bulk this weekend. So today's lunch is rice cooked with carrots, black beans, textured soy protein with bell peppers, a stir fried courgette-peas-tomato combination and scrambled eggs. I'll be eating a combination of the above this week with a leftover farofa from last week.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #525 on: August 07, 2017, 07:12:23 AM »
Last night I made ratatouille (vegetarian, but not vegan, because cheeeeeese)

Snow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #526 on: August 07, 2017, 07:12:46 AM »
SO made almonds roasted with soy sauce and rosemary for our moving-in get-together this weekend, so some of those have been my after-lunch snack today. For dinner I'm guessing... more leftovers from the get-together. Among them butter beans marinated in coconut, lime and shallots, and a kale and swede salad with red pesto. We already finished off the best bits, like focaccia, aubergine rolls and stuffed mushrooms.

I still have several portions of lentil loaf with barley and sauce in the freezer that I made last week while SO was still out of town and I was challenging myself to live off the cupboards. Guess that will be lunches for the rest of the week!

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #527 on: August 07, 2017, 11:31:02 AM »
Watermelon salad with pepitas and balsamic dressing.

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #528 on: August 23, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »
White rice with black beans & sauteed white onion and bell pepper. I admit to only being a 90% vegetarian, however.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #529 on: August 23, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »
Made a baked potato at work by microwaving it for a few minutes then sticking it in the toaster oven. Then melted some vegan chao original cheese and mashed it up. Super delicious! I'm tempted to make a second one now.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #530 on: August 23, 2017, 02:38:41 PM »
Made a baked potato at work by microwaving it for a few minutes then sticking it in the toaster oven. Then melted some vegan chao original cheese and mashed it up. Super delicious! I'm tempted to make a second one now.

I'm a big fan of baking a potato in the microwave, then throwing some greek yogurt and chives on top.

Roots&Wings

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #531 on: September 06, 2017, 01:16:27 PM »
Chocolate avocado truffles, yum!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: September 06, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
sprouted whole grain bread toast smeared with almond butter and strawberry jelly.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #533 on: September 06, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
General Tso's tofu with a ton of veggies.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #534 on: September 07, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »
sprouted whole grain bread toast smeared with almond butter and strawberry jelly.

If your bread/toast has sprouted and is growing things, it might be best to pick up some new stuff rather than chow down.  :P

Kl285528

• Stubble
« Reply #535 on: September 07, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
Created a stir fry the other day from some random stuff in the frig. Chopped up half an onion, a carrot or two, some broccoli, fresh green beans , and half a can of black beans. Grated a ginger root for about a teaspoon of it, splashed some tamari in it, and served it with some forbidden rice! Felt good about using what was in the frig, and I made something dang tasty!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #536 on: September 07, 2017, 08:12:51 AM »

If your bread/toast has sprouted and is growing things, it might be best to pick up some new stuff rather than chow down.  :P

haha.  A friend told me that freezing the bread, then thawing it out, and then toasting it makes the carbs not easily digested and broken down into sugar, and thereby creating carbs for the gut microbiome. Hence, this process of freezing and then toasting makes the bread a prebiotic.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #537 on: September 09, 2017, 12:02:36 AM »
Not eating it yet, but about to start work on a big pot of mushroom risotto.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #538 on: September 09, 2017, 07:29:26 AM »

Yum--I'll be right over!!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #539 on: September 09, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »
Veggie fried rice, yum

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #540 on: September 09, 2017, 08:18:21 PM »
Variety of vegetables sautéed in some olive oil

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #541 on: September 09, 2017, 08:22:02 PM »

YUM!!  :)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #542 on: September 09, 2017, 08:39:16 PM »

Thank you and in that time since I posted it, I already wolfed it down. I added some tofu, black pepper, a pinch of salt, a dash of balsamic vinegar, a small toss of soy sauce.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
« Reply #543 on: September 09, 2017, 10:26:18 PM »
Vegan oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, YUM!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #544 on: September 10, 2017, 03:50:31 AM »

Do I need to leave the butter out when I cook it for you?

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #545 on: September 10, 2017, 04:41:18 AM »

Thank you and in that time since I posted it, I already wolfed it down. I added some tofu, black pepper, a pinch of salt, a dash of balsamic vinegar, a small toss of soy sauce.

Ooooh, those additions make it sound even yummier!  No wonder you wolfed it all down!  :)

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #546 on: September 10, 2017, 04:44:31 AM »

I love that you asked this question!

Well, I'm not completely a vegan, but it's true that I don't usually consume butter, so it may be a bit of a shock to my system.  Not sure how much butter you would use in this dish, but maybe cut the amount in half?

And I like your use of "when", not "if".    :D

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #547 on: September 10, 2017, 05:00:37 AM »

I love that you asked this question!

Well, I'm not completely a vegan, but it's true that I don't usually consume butter, so it may be a bit of a shock to my system.  Not sure how much butter you would use in this dish, but maybe cut the amount in half?

And I like your use of "when", not "if".    :D

Usually 250g for six serves - LOTS OF BUTTER.

I could use olive oil instead for the frying. It won't taste AS good, but I also don't want to make you unhappy or ill!

dougules

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #548 on: September 20, 2017, 10:52:08 AM »
Green bean casserole.  Green beans are usually relegated to a side dish, but they actually go well at the center of the plate. 

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #549 on: September 22, 2017, 06:55:47 PM »
I made a kidney bean/beet/millet burger topped with some cheddar cheese on a sprouted grain bread, topped off with some guacamole that I also made from scratch.