Author Topic: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?  (Read 63407 times)

Chippewa

• Magnum Stache
    • stupid debt
Re: What Vegetarian/Vegan food are you Eating Right Now?
« Reply #500 on: June 24, 2017, 02:24:15 PM »
Avocado toast! Mmmmm. (as a bonus it's also much healthier than me chowing down on a bowl of guac with a bag of chips...not that I would ever do that...)

Try hemp hearts on avocado toast. So delish. I bet a dash of paprika or chili powder would be good too.
Would blue corn chips be considered healthier? ;) I'm a sucker for chips & guac.
blog :: stupid debt or journal

SCUBAstache

• Bristles
« Reply #501 on: June 24, 2017, 02:32:11 PM »
I'm not sure any chips can really be considered healthy... well not in the quantity I eat them in at least :) I put salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, onion powder, and red pepper flakes on the avocado - such a good combo, and use Ezekial toast as the base. I'll have to try the hemp hearts, thanks for the tip!

nara

• Stubble
« Reply #502 on: June 24, 2017, 02:59:00 PM »
tofu scramble with lots of veggies, beans, salsa, and avocado on a wrap.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #503 on: June 24, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »
Just finished making some cous cous with courgette and tomatoe to bring to a potluck lunch tomorrow. I'm underwhelmed. I cooked the courgette and tomato with some garlic and onion. Still have a couple more tomatoes to add raw with some feta and then was going to add the lemon and olive oil dressing. I don't think it'll make it any better. Actually, since the cous cous will undoubtedly soak up the dressing, it may make it worse. Oh well. At least the lentil salad I brought along today went down well - can't win 'em all.

But, does anyone have any hints for good cous cous? It's my first time ever making it and I chose it because it's so simple and wouldn't involve cooking. Just covered it with double the volume of hot water, as per the instructions, then fluffed it up with a fork.

DavidAnnArbor

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #504 on: June 25, 2017, 06:22:24 PM »
I think you add some kind of dried fruit to it. Maybe a bit of mint. Some vinegar, some olive oil. Black pepper. Some chopped onion.

bridget

• Bristles
« Reply #505 on: June 25, 2017, 08:42:45 PM »
Today? 

Snacking intermittently on hardboiled eggs with salt, frozen strawberries (it's hot AF where I am), seaweed snack sheets, and applesauce.  It got cool enough I could pop some multi-colored carrots in the oven to roast, and I'll put dill and tzatziki sauce on them they're done, probably with some green salad.

Moonwaves

• Pencil Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #506 on: June 26, 2017, 05:35:04 AM »
Just finished making some cous cous with courgette and tomatoe to bring to a potluck lunch tomorrow. I'm underwhelmed. I cooked the courgette and tomato with some garlic and onion. Still have a couple more tomatoes to add raw with some feta and then was going to add the lemon and olive oil dressing. I don't think it'll make it any better. Actually, since the cous cous will undoubtedly soak up the dressing, it may make it worse. Oh well. At least the lentil salad I brought along today went down well - can't win 'em all.

But, does anyone have any hints for good cous cous? It's my first time ever making it and I chose it because it's so simple and wouldn't involve cooking. Just covered it with double the volume of hot water, as per the instructions, then fluffed it up with a fork.
It seems the trick to cous cous might be to always check the package instructions. I followed the instructions in the recipe I had, which said to use twice as much water by volume. When I looked at the package to double-check, it said to use 250ml for 250g cous cous, by volume that's about 1:1. No wonder it tasted a bit watery. Thankfully, it improved somewhat with the addition of the rest of the tomatoes, the cheese and the lovely lemony dressing I made. And mostly, presumably, by being left overnight. Still, enough people were hungry enough that most of it was eaten and there was just one portion left over, which I'm about to eat for lunch.

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #507 on: June 26, 2017, 08:14:54 AM »
Avocado toast! Mmmmm. (as a bonus it's also much healthier than me chowing down on a bowl of guac with a bag of chips...not that I would ever do that...)

Be careful. I've read avocado toast is the first step to bankruptcy.

For dinner yesterday I improved again. I had a can of spicy pinto beans, so combined that with sauteed peppers, onions, garlic and corn. Added jasmine rice. DH even liked it.

DavidAnnArbor

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #508 on: June 26, 2017, 08:15:35 PM »
A smoothie after working out at the gym.

Banana, a cooked beet, frozen cherries, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, frozen pineapple, and fresh squeezed lemon

TartanTallulah

• Stubble
« Reply #509 on: June 28, 2017, 02:59:20 AM »
A bowl of accidentally-vegan breakfast cereal with soya milk.

DarkandStormy

• Stubble
« Reply #510 on: June 28, 2017, 09:42:23 AM »
Actually did have avocado toast for breakfast today - whole wheat bread from Kroger ($2 for I believe 20 slices - not sure) and the avocado cost $1 but I only had half of it.  So about $.75 (rounded up) when you factor in the minimal amounts of Montreal Steak seasoning I put on it.

We cooked up a quinoa mix this week for lunches - quinoa, sweet potatoes, onions, red peppers, various spices.

Someone above mentioned chips not being all too healthy - see if you can find Beanitos near you.  They are, as the name implies, bean-based and pack a lot of protein.  Much better than the corn + oil chips that are fairly standard.  Costco had a sale this month (it might be over?) on 4th of July chips that were made with amaranth, some seeds, and some other ingredients (I can't remember) that were healthier than just corn.  A tad more expensive per ounce when compared to the Kirkland tortilla chips, but the sale brought it more in line.

Since this is my first post in this thread (new to the forums after lurking for a few months) - our goal is to buy veggie/vegan burgers if we can get them for $1/patty but we really strive to beat that when we can with sales and whatnot.  Unfortunately, Boca burgers are just pretty bad so it takes some creativity to find <$1/patties on veggie burgers.  The marsala burgers from Trader Joe's are a staple.

DavidAnnArbor

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #511 on: June 28, 2017, 09:50:49 AM »
Actually did have avocado toast for breakfast today - whole wheat bread from Kroger ($2 for I believe 20 slices - not sure) and the avocado cost $1 but I only had half of it.  So about $.75 (rounded up) when you factor in the minimal amounts of Montreal Steak seasoning I put on it.

We cooked up a quinoa mix this week for lunches - quinoa, sweet potatoes, onions, red peppers, various spices.

Someone above mentioned chips not being all too healthy - see if you can find Beanitos near you.  They are, as the name implies, bean-based and pack a lot of protein.  Much better than the corn + oil chips that are fairly standard.  Costco had a sale this month (it might be over?) on 4th of July chips that were made with amaranth, some seeds, and some other ingredients (I can't remember) that were healthier than just corn.  A tad more expensive per ounce when compared to the Kirkland tortilla chips, but the sale brought it more in line.

Since this is my first post in this thread (new to the forums after lurking for a few months) - our goal is to buy veggie/vegan burgers if we can get them for $1/patty but we really strive to beat that when we can with sales and whatnot.  Unfortunately, Boca burgers are just pretty bad so it takes some creativity to find <$1/patties on veggie burgers.  The marsala burgers from Trader Joe's are a staple.

I wonder if you can make veggie burger patties yourself, beans? mushrooms? ground flax seed?

step-in-time

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #512 on: June 28, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »

Yeah Boca burgers are loaded with so much junk! The Trader Joe's marsala and Dr Praegers burgers are ok. My favorite is Aldi's Chipotle Black Bean burgers, 4-pack for $2.79. Also have made these burgers from scratch (someone else on this thread recommended them) and they're really good, but takes a bit of time: https://www.budgetbytes.com/2013/05/chipotle-sweet-potato-burgers/

DarkandStormy

• Stubble
« Reply #513 on: June 28, 2017, 11:31:46 AM »
^We recently moved, but have been meaning to check out Aldi.  I'll put those black bean burgers on the list when we make it there.

UPDATE - WOW what a steal at Aldi on these veggie burgers.  They're so much cheaper than we've found elsewhere and the ingredients are almost all whole foods!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:33:36 PM by DarkandStormy »

Chippewa

• Magnum Stache
    • stupid debt
« Reply #514 on: July 12, 2017, 11:45:18 AM »
meal prepped dal + brown rice + corn tortillas (naan not on hand, this is a great substitute) ;)
blog :: stupid debt or journal

DarkandStormy

• Stubble
« Reply #515 on: July 12, 2017, 12:35:35 PM »
Just finished off whole wheat pasta + cooked broccoli and asparagus with these cheese sauce - http://simpledailyrecipes.com/video/jills-instant-pot-mac-n-cheesy-beans/  Obviously we skipped the bean part of this recipe but used the cheese sauce recipe and supplemented with some sunflower seeds.

Lauran75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #516 on: July 12, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
This morning for breakfast I had my smoothie - frozen spinach, frozen broccoli, carrots, banana, flaxseed, chia seeds, PB2 powder, 1/2 cup frozen berries, and 1 tsp blackstrap molasses. Yum. :)

For lunch I had a piece of Raise the Roof Sweet Potato Lasagna which I made on Sunday. Last night when my DH got home from work, he had the option of making cube steak sandwiches or eating a piece of the lasagna. To my pleased shock, he chose the lasagna! (He is a meat eater, and I am not.)

Tonight for dinner it will probably be a sweet potato and asparagus w/homemade cashew butter (maybe sweetened with cinnamon.)

LifeHappens

• Handlebar Stache
  • Downshifting from 5th to 3rd Gear
« Reply #517 on: July 13, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
This morning for breakfast I had my smoothie - frozen spinach, frozen broccoli, carrots, banana, flaxseed, chia seeds, PB2 powder, 1/2 cup frozen berries, and 1 tsp blackstrap molasses. Yum. :)

Yummy! I would not have thought to use molasses in a smootie. Must go. I have a smoothie to make :)

Lauran75

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #518 on: July 13, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »

Yummy! I would not have thought to use molasses in a smootie. Must go. I have a smoothie to make :)

It's the only way I can tolerate it. :)

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #519 on: July 14, 2017, 06:13:28 AM »
I'm having some yummy herb flavoured crisps.

Be careful. I've read avocado toast is the first step to bankruptcy.

Haha, yes I read that.:)

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #520 on: July 14, 2017, 08:36:11 AM »
I've got some Tabouleh for lunch.  It's surprisingly awesome and easy to make.

DarkandStormy

• Stubble
« Reply #521 on: July 14, 2017, 08:38:13 AM »

Do you have any recipe links?  Would love to try to make it!

Lunch today - lentils (with some spices & onions mixed in) + spinach.  A little boring but better than spending $8+ out!

GuitarStv

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: July 14, 2017, 08:59:31 AM »

Do you have any recipe links?  Would love to try to make it!

Lunch today - lentils (with some spices & onions mixed in) + spinach.  A little boring but better than spending $8+ out!

My wife makes it (and I'm not sure if she was following a recipe), but it seems pretty straight forward:

- 3 large tomatoes sliced up into little bits
- 2 English cucmbers sliced up into little bits
- A handful of fresh mint sliced up small
- Two handfuls of fresh parsley
- A fair amount of olive oil (between 1/2 a cup and a cup)
- Several splashes of lime (or lemon) juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups of quinoa or bulger
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 8 to 10 green onions finely chopped

We usually add a cup or so of beans in too.

Just cut it up, mix it all together and let it sit in the fridge overnight for the flavours to soak together.  No need to cook and no need to heat it up makes it awesome for summer.

EDIT - forgot the garlic and onions!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:11:23 PM by GuitarStv »

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #523 on: July 16, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
Leftover black bean stew with some pita chips. Glass of wine. Cherries.