Author Topic: What type of coffee gadget to you use?  (Read 14001 times)

happylife17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What type of coffee gadget to you use?
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2017, 09:35:02 AM »
Thank you all for replying.  It was interesting to read what my fellow Mustachians are using for their coffee fix.   

I ended up splurging on a new gadget this weekend . . . a handheld milk frother for $6.99!  It's a cheap and convenient way for me to get a "latte."

I also decided against the Keurig/Nespresso route simply because I drink way too much coffee and cannot justify spending $29 for 2 weeks worth of coffee plus all the environmental issues that go with the pods.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2017, 11:52:37 PM »
Thank you all for replying.  It was interesting to read what my fellow Mustachians are using for their coffee fix.   

I ended up splurging on a new gadget this weekend . . . a handheld milk frother for $6.99!  It's a cheap and convenient way for me to get a "latte."

I also decided against the Keurig/Nespresso route simply because I drink way too much coffee and cannot justify spending $29 for 2 weeks worth of coffee plus all the environmental issues that go with the pods.

I have one too (the manual type) and it took me some time to develop the skill but now I can make the perfect latte macchiato with a Tupperware milk frother and a Bodum French press that I both got for free. I have added a free manual coffee grinder to the collection this week and I can't wait to use it. I've heard from my mum that the organic coffee beans at Aldi are actually one of the best types of coffee on the market so I'll try those when I run out of ground coffee. She has a €1000 Jura machine that needs €100 maintenance at the shop.... to make exactly the same thing I'm making. I have to say though, that machine is super durable (she's had it for more than 10 years) and it doesn't cause any waste. You just pour in milk and beans, so if you really feel you really want a fancy machine that's
the best choice.

But for me, the french press / manual coffee grinder way isn't just the least expensive way, but also the most romantic. I really like the process. The only other thing I'd consider buying (or really, not buying, but accepting when someone offers me one for free) is a moka pot.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2017, 07:36:10 AM »
Cone with filter paper - one cup cone over a mug for my one cup of regular coffee, then a bigger cone/carafe setup for my pot of decaf for the rest of the day.  I reheat the decaf gently one cup at a time in the microwave, or just drink it cold in summer.  Beans from President's Choice.  Water from a well, put through a Britta filter.  I've tried the reusable metal mesh filters, prefer the paper ones.  Filter with grounds goes in the compost pile.

happylife17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »

I have one too (the manual type) and it took me some time to develop the skill but now I can make the perfect latte macchiato with a Tupperware milk frother and a Bodum French press that I both got for free. I have added a free manual coffee grinder to the collection this week and I can't wait to use it. I've heard from my mum that the organic coffee beans at Aldi are actually one of the best types of coffee on the market so I'll try those when I run out of ground coffee. She has a €1000 Jura machine that needs €100 maintenance at the shop.... to make exactly the same thing I'm making. I have to say though, that machine is super durable (she's had it for more than 10 years) and it doesn't cause any waste. You just pour in milk and beans, so if you really feel you really want a fancy machine that's
the best choice.

But for me, the french press / manual coffee grinder way isn't just the least expensive way, but also the most romantic. I really like the process. The only other thing I'd consider buying (or really, not buying, but accepting when someone offers me one for free) is a moka pot.

I want a moka pot too, I found one on Amazon for pretty cheap but I'm going to hold off until my coffee machine breaks again in 9 months. 

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »
Chemex. I like the 1970s boho vibe of it. :p

And I'm sure my Peets Major Dickinson beans would taste better if I didn't pre-grind all at once, but I just can't be bothered to do it on a daily basis.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2017, 05:04:14 AM »
At home, mostly weekends: simple secondhand DeLonghi espresso machine (US$25)
At work, weekdays: simple secondhand Chinese espresso machine (US$16)
At my boyfriend's, occasional weekends: bullet-shaped Moka pot from Rome (US$60)

Beans: some ground, some whole, whatever I've picked up while traveling in Vietnam, Europe, or China. When those are gone, I stock up on whatever's on sale from Illy, Lavazza, or CafeDirect. An occasional freshly-roasted splurge from Olympia Graeco-Egyptian coffee for weekends http://www.facebook.com/olympiagraecoegyptiancoffee

I don't put fancy things like milk or sugar in my coffee, just drink it straight and strong.

misshathaway

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2017, 10:08:03 AM »
I've been using the Clever Coffee Dripper Large (amazon) for a few months. It has a valve on the bottom that is closed when flat on the counter and only opens when it's over a cup, so you can steep for desired minutes then move to the cup. Perfect for one big cup and uses normal supermarket cone filters.

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2017, 11:17:22 AM »
At home: stovetop espresso maker (the first time I used it, I drank six espressi in half an hour then wondered why my heart was racing), one-cup French press, three-cup French press, electric grinder given to me as a gift by my MAIL.

At work: one-cup French press, three-cup French press (my work ones: I don't carry them to and from the office!)

I buy most of my coffee ground from Aldi or Lidl (although I have a small amount of what I think are expensive beans, gifted to me along with the grinder). I've become convinced that the 80/20 rule can be reformulated as "80% of the quality is 20% of the cost", and I'm disinclined to push myself any further along the coffee quality scale.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2017, 11:40:02 AM »
A few weeks ago I ordered new Apuro pour-over coffee machine in the local internet store https://www.choice.co.nz/category/917/equipment/coffee-machines in Auckland, NZ. I must say I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. It has affordable price (430$) and quite convenient in use. Now I can brew the best cup of coffee at home.
I looked this up: "Pour-over machine supplied with one 1.8 litre glass jug. Independently controlled upper hotplate allows coffee to be kept warm whilst another jug dispenses for a constant supply, ideal for busy cafes, restaurants, bars and bistros."  You bought a machine meant for a cafe?  Tm Hortons makes fresh coffee every 20 minutes with machines like this, how is your coffee going to taste when it has been warming for a few hours?

And how is this better, since it is a pour-over machine, than buying a Melitta cone and carafe and doing your own pouring from a kettle?
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/melitta-reg-pour-over-coffee-makers-with-glass-carafe/104998/

I have this, expect mine was $3 from a thrift store.  Works great.  If I have left-overs, they are fine gently warmed in a micro-wave, or drunk cold on a hot summer day.

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »
Yeah that Apuro...why? FOUR HUNDRED AND THIRTY DOLLARS and it doesn't steam milk or make espresso? I read over the specs and looked at the description, and I don't see how that price tag is justified. How did you decide this was the best coffee option available to you?

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »
A few weeks ago I ordered new Apuro pour-over coffee machine in the local internet store https://www.choice.co.nz/category/917/equipment/coffee-machines in Auckland, NZ. I must say I'm completely satisfied with my purchase. It has affordable price (430$) and quite convenient in use. Now I can brew the best cup of coffee at home.

$430 coffee gadget is affordable?  I hope that's for a cafe or maybe very large office.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
I assume you grind the beans in your 800$ Vita-mix blender?

Milkshake

• Bristles
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2017, 09:11:10 AM »
I assume you grind the beans in your 800$ Vita-mix blender?

Lol

We have a Ninja Coffee bar that we got as a gift for a wedding shower. I would never buy one myself because they are like $200, but I would definitely pay $0 for one.

A Definite Beta Guy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »
re: making lattes at home.

I've read that you can do this pretty easily by shaking up 2% milk in a jam jar, throwing it into a microwave, and nuking it for a bit.

Anyone try this and have any good tips? I gave it a shot this weekend, and it worked better than I thought, but the milk foam was not quite as thick as I would have liked. More shaking? Keep it in the microwave for a longer time?

fluffmuffin

• Bristles
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2017, 12:48:40 PM »

I've read that you can do this pretty easily by shaking up 2% milk in a jam jar, throwing it into a microwave, and nuking it for a bit.

Anyone try this and have any good tips? I gave it a shot this weekend, and it worked better than I thought, but the milk foam was not quite as thick as I would have liked. More shaking? Keep it in the microwave for a longer time?

Interesting...I'll give this a try and report back tomorrow (granted I only have skim and almond milk at home, so that's going to play with the results a bit). From a former barista, that method isn't ever going to get you exactly what you're looking for in terms of the thick, silky foam you'd associate with a really great latte. Properly steamed milk is going to have much denser bubbles than you'd get from shaking liquid in a jar. The temperature also has a lot to do with it, and a microwave is going to give you the level of control that you'd need to nail the temperature. I'd be wary of nuking the milk for too long, since you can burn it and that really doesn't taste good. But this is undoubtedly an upgrade from dumping in fridge-cold milk!

twistedfirestarter

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »
Sowden soft brew is our everyday coffee brewer and an aeropress for work.

Also have a gaggia classic espresso machine (bought used) 1950's caravel espresso machine (won in a raffle) and various grinders and sundries (most also bought used).
Yes, bit of a coffee geek.

Chesleygirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2017, 10:50:58 AM »
I used to use a Keurig.

I read somewhere that switching to instant coffee can save up to $200 a year, depending on how much coffee one drinks. It's cheaper than K-cups and drip coffee. K-cups also wind up in landfills.

So that's what I drink now. Instant. It took some getting used to, at first. I still get an occasional Starbuck's.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »
I used to use a Keurig.

I read somewhere that switching to instant coffee can save up to $200 a year, depending on how much coffee one drinks. It's cheaper than K-cups and drip coffee. K-cups also wind up in landfills.

So that's what I drink now. Instant. It took some getting used to, at first. I still get an occasional Starbuck's.

Yeah,  I always thought my instant would cost more than the Folgers.... but, no, it is still far cheaper.   I switched up to the more expensive "Tasters Choice" .  It is actually very good (all arabica) much, much better than basic ground coffee...  and about the same as Folgers for cost... no need for filters.   e.g. 50 cups for $4.77 for the fancy "Tasters Choice" and $5-6 for the can of Folgers Classic, (35-50 cups) if I get it on sale.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2017, 12:34:00 AM »
I used to use a Keurig.

Yeah,  I always thought my instant would cost more than the Folgers.... but, no, it is still far cheaper.   I switched up to the more expensive "Tasters Choice" .  It is actually very good (all arabica) much, much better than basic ground coffee...  and about the same as Folgers for cost... no need for filters.   e.g. 50 cups for $4.77 for the fancy "Tasters Choice" and $5-6 for the can of Folgers Classic, (35-50 cups) if I get it on sale.

Interesting.  I may have to pursue this route.  I get cheapie ground coffee and am quite happy with it.  I remember instant coffee having zero body and being very watery.  I'll give it another shot though, as my old coffee rig ($10 Mr. Coffee) has given up the ghost.  As for now, my current routine:

2 cup Pyrex measuring cup
Nuker
Filter holder thing with valve on bottom from Mr. Coffee.

1) Microwave 2 cups water for 6 minutes (or until 205 degrees Fahrenheit).
2) Spoon coffee grinds into water and stir.  Let steep for 4 minutes.
3) Pour coffee mud through paper filter holder with valve (and paper filter) into coffee cup.
4) Profit.

If I didn't lose the dang metal filter basket, it'd be a tad bit quicker and less wasteful in eliminating the paper filter.  As it is now, this cup a joe ain't half bad.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2017, 12:26:47 AM »

Interesting...I'll give this a try and report back tomorrow (granted I only have skim and almond milk at home, so that's going to play with the results a bit). From a former barista, that method isn't ever going to get you exactly what you're looking for in terms of the thick, silky foam you'd associate with a really great latte. Properly steamed milk is going to have much denser bubbles than you'd get from shaking liquid in a jar. The temperature also has a lot to do with it, and a microwave is going to give you the level of control that you'd need to nail the temperature. I'd be wary of nuking the milk for too long, since you can burn it and that really doesn't taste good. But this is undoubtedly an upgrade from dumping in fridge-cold milk!

I have a (gifted) tupperware manual milk foamer (like https://www.culy.nl/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Melkopschuimer2.jpg  but plastic).  I pour the milk into the jug, put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds until it's nearly boiling, then foam the milk. Once you've found out how long it needs to stay in the microwave for to reach the right temperature, you can make a pretty decent latte at home. I make the coffee in a French press. Granted, my mum has a $1000+ Jura machine and her lattes taste a bit better. But all my coffee tools were gifts, which makes mine taste a bit sweeter.

My partner is frugal, but is an impulse buyer when it comes to gadgets. He's currently totally set on buying a super fancy coffee machine and I'm trying to talk him out of it. No, his coffee doesn't taste as good as coffee from a fancy coffee shop does. Mainly that's because he just doesn't know how to brew coffee. You can't just throw in a random amount of coffee and pray for the best. There's a certain connection between the amount of coffee in the pot and taste of the result. On top of that I don't want that big ugly thing taking up space in my tiny kitchen.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2017, 01:03:02 AM »
Teaspoon, mug, electric kettle.
Instant coffee with milk is perfectly fine, we have no use for any unnecessary coffee gadgets.

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2017, 03:02:58 AM »
A plain old $25 drip coffee maker.  Probably 10-years old.  I use it on weekends when my wife is home.

Though on weekdays, when it's just me, I just "nuke" a cup of instant coffee.

I will occasionally buy expensive coffee, but for the day to day grind, I just need whatever will get caffeine into my system quickly.

And despite being a multimillionaire, I can't justify the cost of a Keurig, which, frankly, is no faster than my microwave with instant coffee.  And a whole Hell of a lot more expensive.  Plus, as an environmental engineer, the environmental cost does not appeal to me- Keurigs are very wasteful.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2017, 04:05:23 PM »
I drink instant coffee too when I just want a quick coffee in the morning. I buy one of the fancier brands, €2 for a 250 gram jar that lasts me about a month. I tried the cheapest brand first, which is about €2 / 300 gram but that one was only drinkable with lots of sugar and cream in it. Of course a homemade latte is better and a superfancy latte is the best, but I'm perfectly content with "good enough". I think my ability to accept a "good enough" result will literally save me millions throughout my life.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2017, 05:12:01 PM »
Well I would say that I can't do instant coffee, but since I have to do Keurig at work, I am pretty sure I am immune to the burnt coffee taste by now. I drink it black so I prefer fresh ground and not burnt but that really doesn't require expensive equipment, just some sort of manual coffee maker (automatics burn the coffee when their heating elements go on the fritz) a cheap coffee grinder and bulk whole beans. Technically, our bulk coffee sections around here all have onsite grinders you can use so the coffee grinder is even optional as long as you buy it in small batches. Coffee can be as cheap or as expensive as a person wants it to be.

jgoody

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »
I have a Bezzera Strega espresso machine, Baratza Vario bur grinder, and a Behmor 1600 coffee roaster.  For a grand total nearing $3K! 

Hold your face-punches, hold your face-punches...
I feel like this is one of those interesting intersections of one Mustachian principle competing with another Mustachian principle.  Is my setup inexpensive/frugal?  Hell no!  But does it bring me actual joy/is it money spent in line with my priorities?  Absolutely.  I love love love my morning cappuccino ritual.  It's usually the thing I miss most when I'm away from home.  I'm super into trying to produce high end latte art/micro-foam/rosettas at home.  It's a challenge and it's a joy.  In short, it's one of my "passions".  I have used a number of lesser espresso machines that just couldn't perform the way this current setup does.  So while I get thoroughly trounced by the other posters on this thread on the economic front, I don't for a second regret the roughly 3,000 employees currently tied up on my kitchen counter.  They consistently bring me much joy and I am grateful.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »
I have a Bezzera Strega espresso machine, Baratza Vario bur grinder, and a Behmor 1600 coffee roaster.  For a grand total nearing $3K! 

Hold your face-punches, hold your face-punches...
I feel like this is one of those interesting intersections of one Mustachian principle competing with another Mustachian principle.  Is my setup inexpensive/frugal?  Hell no!  But does it bring me actual joy/is it money spent in line with my priorities?  Absolutely.  I love love love my morning cappuccino ritual.  It's usually the thing I miss most when I'm away from home.  I'm super into trying to produce high end latte art/micro-foam/rosettas at home.  It's a challenge and it's a joy.  In short, it's one of my "passions".  I have used a number of lesser espresso machines that just couldn't perform the way this current setup does.  So while I get thoroughly trounced by the other posters on this thread on the economic front, I don't for a second regret the roughly 3,000 employees currently tied up on my kitchen counter.  They consistently bring me much joy and I am grateful.

As long as you truly appreciate it and have joy.  After all, many people in the world truly like their jobs and would never quite before 65 years old (or later)...   we are not to judge, but you might be in the wrong forum?

EarthSurfer

• Stubble
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2017, 05:17:57 AM »
For me it's usually Aeropress with an Able stainless "filter" for 2 cups per day. (Maybe a third cup if decaf.)  Old school French press if I have guests.

My "go-to" coffee is Trades Joe's "Joe's Dark" whole bean. Second place is San Francisco Gourmet Coffee French Roast (2.5 lb bag from Costco).  Dazbog Decaf Italian Roast is about the only decaf I like these days. My coffee snob friend was surprised that it had "high notes."

I like my countertops to be clutter and appliance free, but the grinder and electric tea kettle are definite exceptions.

Capresso burr grinder.

I was surprised to find an electric tea kettle really cuts down on energy waste. I live in a relatively small place, and the heat from a stove top kettle is significant on summer days. Additionally, I tend only to boil the recommended 2 cup minimum since I can easily discern the exact amount of water in the electric kettle.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
I was surprised to find an electric tea kettle really cuts down on energy waste. I live in a relatively small place, and the heat from a stove top kettle is significant on summer days. Additionally, I tend only to boil the recommended 2 cup minimum since I can easily discern the exact amount of water in the electric kettle.

You clearly live in a different part of the world than I do! When I'm away from home, I keep the heating at a really low level. When I get home I put on the kettle on the stove and the house feels instantly warmer. I ride my bike to and from work ( we don't have a car) so I'm warm already when I get home. Usually I can put off turning up the heat until at least an hour after I come home.

But you're right, a stovetop kettle really does make the house feel warmer.