Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 123199 times)

Malkynn

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #950 on: December 04, 2019, 04:35:09 PM »
Letterkenny.

Jesus Christ, I can't even begin to explain how brilliant Letterkenny is. You might need to be Canadian to get it, but if you do, it's bloody genius, otherwise it might seem like the dumbest shit you've ever seen.

To be fair...

It may only be brilliant to a just a certain region of Canada.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
    • KOWines: Deep discount wine/spirits store.
« Reply #951 on: December 04, 2019, 05:03:09 PM »
One thing that drives me insane, though, is Alex's awful Texas (or whatever it's supposed to be) drawl.  It's so bad, y'all.

It is supposed to be a bad imitation of a Texas drawl.

In the books, they did give an explanation. The first settlers to Mariner Valley consisted of large waves of Indian and Chinese settlers and a smaller contingent of Texans. Apparently the accent was infectious because everyone from Mariner Valley now has that cowboy drawl.

Okay, that's better.  It helps, anyway.  Still annoys the crap out of me.

What annoys me is the Gunny character. I know the book mentioned a Pacific Islander woman,  but they could have got someone else in that role. She just does not fit Gunny as I expected it. I expected a gruff, tough maybe-older woman. Maybe a female Clint Eastwood in Hearbreak Ridge.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #952 on: December 04, 2019, 06:56:53 PM »
Letterkenny.

Jesus Christ, I can't even begin to explain how brilliant Letterkenny is. You might need to be Canadian to get it, but if you do, it's bloody genius, otherwise it might seem like the dumbest shit you've ever seen.

To be fair...

It is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. (Disclaimer: I grew up close enough to the US-Canada border that the Windsor CBC affiliate is standard local TV, and I grew up with bilingual Canadian Sesame Street.)

Malkynn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #953 on: December 04, 2019, 07:12:48 PM »
Letterkenny.

To be fair...

It is one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. (Disclaimer: I grew up close enough to the US-Canada border that the Windsor CBC affiliate is standard local TV, and I grew up with bilingual Canadian Sesame Street.)

It's really just absolute genius deeply embedded in profound idiocy.

OtherJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #954 on: December 04, 2019, 07:13:51 PM »
Letterkenny.

To be fair...

This is an accurate description.

Malkynn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: December 04, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »
Letterkenny.

To be fair...

This is an accurate description.

Yep, it's a pretty clear tell that someone is a moron if they think Letterkenny is stupid.

Davnasty

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #956 on: December 04, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
Letterkenny.

To be fair...

I think if you're familiar with any rural area (or even if you're not) you can get most of it. The hard part is keeping up with the dialogue.

I'm not familiar with much of the lingo but I have caught on a bit; with the hockey players it's almost a different language.

I think they got popular in the US through best of compilations, but you really do get more out of it if you watch the episodes.