Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 700092 times)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #700 on: June 01, 2019, 07:10:27 AM »
watched 2 episodes of Good Omens today on Amazon Prime. I'm a Terry Pratchett fan.
Not disappointed. Not super thrilled.
But it's nice to watch a show that's based on a book I've read.
I don't like to deep-dive into comparing books vs their visual productions.
Just chuffed.

I'm enjoying it, although there seems to be more of an emphasis on the angel/demon friendship than in the book (of course it was a major plotline there, too, but I feel like it was balanced more with some of the other plots and characters.) I suppose that it makes sense when you have Michael Sheen and David Tennant playing those roles, and the rest of the cast is mostly newcomers.

The one thing that's not grabbing me is having Frances McDormand as the narrator. I get why the creators were trying to get away from having a plummy male voice as the Voice of God, but the narration has a certain Britishness to it that doesn't seem to gel with McDormand's flat Midwestern accent. Terry Pratchett's books (the narration really seems to have his writing style, although the book was a joint project) always have a strong narrative voice and I guess I've always imagined that voice as pretty similar to his actual speaking voice.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #701 on: June 05, 2019, 06:18:53 AM »
watched 2 episodes of Good Omens today on Amazon Prime. I'm a Terry Pratchett fan.
Just chuffed.

I'm enjoying it, although there seems to be more of an emphasis on the angel/demon friendship than in the book (of course it was a major plotline there, too, but I feel like it was balanced more with some of the other plots and characters.) I suppose that it makes sense when you have Michael Sheen and David Tennant playing those roles, and the rest of the cast is mostly newcomers.

The one thing that's not grabbing me is having Frances McDormand as the narrator. I get why the creators were trying to get away from having a plummy male voice as the Voice of God, but the narration has a certain Britishness to it that doesn't seem to gel with McDormand's flat Midwestern accent. Terry Pratchett's books (the narration really seems to have his writing style, although the book was a joint project) always have a strong narrative voice and I guess I've always imagined that voice as pretty similar to his actual speaking voice.

Yeah, McDormand is a fine actress, but she's shouldn't have been picked here to narrate. Brian Cox would have been a better narrator as in The Color of Magic , but he plays Death. Cox's Death isn't as good as Christopher Lee's Death in Color of Magic, or Ian Richardson's Death in Hogfather, maybe because Cox's character doesn't get enough screen time.

I wish there was a slimy nasty character like Marc Warren's Teatime (Teh-ah-tim-eh).

It's only Season One... so the odd couple narrative is fine. It get's darker (I just got done with Ep4). I want Crowley's car.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:22:21 AM by jinga nation »

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #702 on: June 05, 2019, 06:30:35 AM »
Finally splurged the 6 bucks for Britbox on Amazon so I could watch Season 4 of Shetland.  So good.  Worth it for the cinematography alone, but the acting is spot on and the stories aren't too bad either.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #703 on: June 05, 2019, 07:43:16 AM »
Just finished Chernobyl, which was absolutely outstanding.   I knew very little about this subject, given that I was an oblivious and self-involved teenager when it happened. For such a low-key, almost documentary-like approach, it is amazing how many times the show had me audibly and physically reacting to things that I just couldn't believe I was hearing and seeing.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #704 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:58 AM »
Barry.

+1

I'm halfway through the second season and am forcing myself to meter out the last episodes because I'll be bummed when I'm through them all. Uniquely hilarious, dark, moving, and absurd.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #705 on: June 05, 2019, 09:10:00 AM »
Just finished Chernobyl, which was absolutely outstanding.   I knew very little about this subject, given that I was an oblivious and self-involved teenager when it happened. For such a low-key, almost documentary-like approach, it is amazing how many times the show had me audibly and physically reacting to things that I just couldn't believe I was hearing and seeing.

I agree, great show... I have yet to watch the final episode though.  I am concerned a bit that people will freak out about Nuclear now, unfortunately.  I still believe that Nuclear is the best option to a big part of the global climate change issue, and a show like this is a step in the wrong direction.  I have been recommending to people to watch "the Nuclear Option" on Netfix to present the other side of the issue.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #706 on: June 05, 2019, 02:14:52 PM »

I agree, great show... I have yet to watch the final episode though.  I am concerned a bit that people will freak out about Nuclear now, unfortunately.  I still believe that Nuclear is the best option to a big part of the global climate change issue, and a show like this is a step in the wrong direction.  I have been recommending to people to watch "the Nuclear Option" on Netfix to present the other side of the issue.

The reactor design in Chernobyl was fundamentally flawed because of cost cutting (heavy water is expensive, so they used light water . . . which totally fails to absorb neutrons when it vaporizes), and an awful lot different from the reactors we use in here in North America.  You'll be happy to know that the same reactors with the same flaw are still in operation in Russia though.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #707 on: June 05, 2019, 02:59:01 PM »
Just finished Dead to Me on Netflix. Fun show with great characters that just got green lit for a second season. Highly recommend.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #708 on: June 05, 2019, 05:19:16 PM »
Just finished Dead to Me on Netflix. Fun show with great characters that just got green lit for a second season. Highly recommend.

I agree! Good show and many twists and turns! Like it!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #709 on: June 06, 2019, 09:01:54 PM »

I agree! Good show and many twists and turns! Like it!

It was fun!

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #710 on: June 07, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
Started the new season of Black Mirror last night (watched Striking Vipers).  Very uncomfortable but extremely good episode.  Maybe one of my overall favorites of the series.  If the other two are as good, I have zero issue with the season being only three episodes.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #711 on: June 07, 2019, 06:32:50 PM »
Started the new season of Black Mirror last night (watched Striking Vipers).  Very uncomfortable but extremely good episode.  Maybe one of my overall favorites of the series.  If the other two are as good, I have zero issue with the season being only three episodes.
I thought the last season they did was the final!  I had no idea there were going to be more!  I might have to get netflix streaming again just for that.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #712 on: June 10, 2019, 03:57:15 PM »
Just chuffed.

Yeah, McDormand is a fine actress, but she's shouldn't have been picked here to narrate. Brian Cox would have been a better narrator as in The Color of Magic , but he plays Death. Cox's Death isn't as good as Christopher Lee's Death in Color of Magic, or Ian Richardson's Death in Hogfather, maybe because Cox's character doesn't get enough screen time.

I wish there was a slimy nasty character like Marc Warren's Teatime (Teh-ah-tim-eh).

It's only Season One... so the odd couple narrative is fine. It get's darker (I just got done with Ep4). I want Crowley's car.
Bugger... Watched it too fast... worth binging. I don't think there's a Season 2. I fell of Prime Video's default numbering of calling the first and only season as Season One. Imma ID10t.

Now I'm listening to The World of Poo by Terry Pratchett.

ETA: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/jun/20/petition-netflix-cancel-amazon-prime-good-omens-christian-neil-gaiman-terry-pratchett
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:20:56 AM by jinga nation »

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #713 on: June 14, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »

Eek, sorry to say you watched the best of the three first, just like I did.  The next two are completely watchable, but define 'meh' for me. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #714 on: June 18, 2019, 06:41:40 AM »
Have been watching the third season of Jessica Jones on Netflix. I really enjoyed it! While it is not as compelling as the first season with David Tennant as the villain (what could compete with that?) I thought it made a good conclusion to the series. The ending is appropriate to what is supposed to be a noir series but felt satisfying to me; because of where Jessica Jones was in the development pipeline at Netflix, the producers figured out with enough notice that the Marvel shows were on the way out that they were able to leave the series with an actual stopping point instead of a cliffhanger. Unfortunately, the villain this time around was kind of anemic compared to the first two seasons but there is a lot of interesting stuff going on among the other characters to make up for it, and Jeri Hogarth's plot, while mostly separate from the main plot, intersects with it enough to feel like it belongs on the same show (unlike Season 2, when I wondered why she was even there.) There were some slow spots (and I always wonder why on this particular show...if you need to take a break from the main plot, Jessica is a private eye who needs to work for a living...have her go work on a case for awhile!) but I didn't think it sagged in the middle as much as some of the other seasons/Marvel series.

Don't know whether Disney/Marvel will ever bring this world back on another platform but I hope so. I was thinking as I watched that now that anthology shows are in, that format might work well for this group of characters. Do three Daredevil episodes here, four Jessica Jones there, a couple of Iron Fists...sometimes a couple of characters intersect and every once in awhile they all get together. One of the things that always seemed weird, especially post-Defenders was the plotline,..."Oh, no, this terrible villain is threatening (my friends and family/my neighborhood/New York City). Whatever shall I do?"  Um...get on the phone and call one of your superhero friends for an assist? (Obviously there were practical reasons not to, but the show either had to ignore that plothole or come up with some convoluted reasoning about it.)

caracarn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #715 on: June 18, 2019, 09:37:01 AM »
We just found "Alone" this weekend, a series that appears to be on the History Channel, but we found on Hulu.  We NEVER binge anything, and we plowed through 6 episodes of this on Father's Day and watched 3 more last night after work.  Almost done with Season 1.  For us, this is what we were hoping Survivor was going to be when it was announced. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #716 on: June 20, 2019, 06:35:49 PM »
I am watching Redwall on Amazon Prime. It is meant for kids, of course, but would also work just fine for family viewing. I've read a couple of the books (Brian Jacques published 20 or so in the series, starting around 1986), but have to say that I like the TV series a lot because of the visuals and the evocative medieval-sounding soundtrack. The episodes follow the books almost exactly. I'm up to episode 24 of series 1, and it has covered Redwall and is just finishing up Mattimeo. Here's a summary of Redwall I copied from the front material in the book: When the peaceful life in and around ancient Redwall Abbey is shattered by the arrival of the evil rat Cluny and his villainous hordes, Matthias, a young mouse, determines to find the legendary sword of Martin the Warrior which, he is convinced will help Redwall's inhabitants destroy the enemy.

Valiant woodland animals, evil boo-inspiring rat and weasel villains, adventurous plots of good versus evil--great fun for all ages!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #717 on: June 20, 2019, 08:35:33 PM »
thoroughly enjoying watching "The Umbrella Academy" on Netflix. Great acting, character development and extremely creative.

I tried to watch "The Try Guys" on YouTube, but for some weird reason it's hard to find the consecutive episodes and watch them in order. I don't understand YouTube organization.

I'm watching the latest season of "Handmaid's Tale" but it's lacking something, not sure if its the plot/writing, or it's feeling repetitive.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #718 on: June 20, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
Anyone else watch/watching Ozark?  I'm likening it... very Breaking Bad-esque.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #719 on: June 21, 2019, 06:46:33 AM »

Yep.  Good show, although no doubt a complete rip off of Breaking Bad.

One difference I see - BB has a lot more interesting characters such as Saul, Mike, Gus, Hank, Kuby, Gale, Lydia, Todd, etc.  I think the Ozark producers blew their whole wad on getting Jason Bateman and Laura Linney.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #720 on: June 30, 2019, 01:08:57 PM »
I wonder if I’ve mentioned The Good Place already. I can’t tell if American comedy has gotten better (not in terms of stand up, I love American stand up but more shows) but when I was a newbie here, I legitimately could never laugh at comedy shows.

- Silicon Valley - Jared’s character makes me laugh the most. It’s just those subtle moments.
- Brooklyn 99 - Initially, not a show that made me laugh but I picked it up again, and had moments where I laughed out loud.
- The Good Place - Doesn’t break my ribs but more hugely entertaining with just a refreshing idea.

Seeing some comments on the Good Omen. I thought it was a silly yet entertaining show. It is heavily carried by the two main characters.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #721 on: June 30, 2019, 02:03:10 PM »
I wonder if I’ve mentioned The Good Place already. I can’t tell if American comedy has gotten better (not in terms of stand up, I love American stand up but more shows) but when I was a newbie here, I legitimately could never laugh at comedy shows.

- Silicon Valley - Jared’s character makes me laugh the most. It’s just those subtle moments.
- Brooklyn 99 - Initially, not a show that made me laugh but I picked it up again, and had moments where I laughed out loud.
- The Good Place - Doesn’t break my ribs but more hugely entertaining with just a refreshing idea.

Seeing some comments on the Good Omen. I thought it was a silly yet entertaining show. It is heavily carried by the two main characters.

Now I'll have to watch Silicon Valley. I very much enjoy Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #722 on: June 30, 2019, 02:09:09 PM »
Just chuffed.

This is interesting. DH and I are watching this now and loving it! But, we haven’t read the book. Normally, I like to have read the book before watching the adaptation of it. I was planning to read it afterwards, but now I’m not so sure I should.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #723 on: June 30, 2019, 06:30:14 PM »

Yep.  Good show, although no doubt a complete rip off of Breaking Bad.

One difference I see - BB has a lot more interesting characters such as Saul, Mike, Gus, Hank, Kuby, Gale, Lydia, Todd, etc.  I think the Ozark producers blew their whole wad on getting Jason Bateman and Laura Linney.

I am now all caught up and waiting for season 3.  I am really liking the series at this point

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #724 on: June 30, 2019, 08:28:50 PM »
OMG, just started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix and I am totally addicted! LOVE IT! I am midway thru the second season! I will watch Ozark when I am finished with Breaking Bad.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #725 on: July 01, 2019, 02:57:01 AM »
We just found "Alone" this weekend, a series that appears to be on the History Channel, but we found on Hulu.  We NEVER binge anything, and we plowed through 6 episodes of this on Father's Day and watched 3 more last night after work.  Almost done with Season 1.  For us, this is what we were hoping Survivor was going to be when it was announced.

This seasons is really good as its the first season in the Arctic.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #726 on: July 01, 2019, 03:08:35 AM »
Really enjoying Justified and FX original I have been binge watching the first 5 seasons on Prime.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #727 on: July 01, 2019, 06:07:36 AM »
Finished "Mindhunter" and "Colony" while I was traveling, both on Netflix.

"Mindhunter" is set in the 1970s and focuses on the FBI's early efforts to search out and prosecute serial killers. It has a very slow start but I really enjoyed it, and it was interesting to see the struggles over acceptance of methods that now seem pretty normal (such as profiling).

"Colony" is a sci-fi series about Earth after it is invaded and conquered by aliens. I liked the first two seasons a lot but thought the third got sort of messy and inconsistent. Be warned, it ends without a definitive finale. I was under the impression the showrunners had had enough notice of cancellation to plan a series finale, but apparently not (or they chose not to.)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #728 on: July 01, 2019, 09:07:34 PM »
We just finished up the "Jessica Jones" series (Netflix). Highly enjoyable TV. I think that's my favorites of the four "Defenders" series.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #729 on: July 02, 2019, 09:58:08 AM »
We just finished up the "Jessica Jones" series (Netflix). Highly enjoyable TV. I think that's my favorites of the four "Defenders" series.

Good acting and character development? Good plot ?

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #730 on: July 02, 2019, 10:33:05 AM »
My husband recently discovered Legion, and I'm loving it. We stream it through Hulu live, but I think it's on one of the network stations.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #731 on: July 02, 2019, 11:14:31 AM »

Yes. Husband commented last night that he thought “Jessica” did the best job of character development out of the Defenders series.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #732 on: July 02, 2019, 11:15:47 AM »

The acting is terrific, particularly Krysten Ritter as Jessica and David Tennant as the first season villain. The plotting tends to sag, especially in the middle of the seasons and at time for the secondary characters (the lawyer character played by Carrie Ann Moss has a particularly irrelevant plotline in the second season.) One of the things I liked was that all the major characters except one have a very clear and believable arc over the three seasons (and the fact that one does not is a specific character choice.)

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #733 on: July 02, 2019, 10:50:58 PM »

Now I'll have to watch Silicon Valley. I very much enjoy Brooklyn 99 and The Good Place.

I recommend doing the HBO free trial. I do it every year or I pay solely for one month and binge some of their shows and cancel. If you have amazon prime, there are some old HBO shows that are free with the subscription. Epic shows like

Six Feet Under
The Wire
Oz

Are all watchable with Prime.

This is a strong recommend to folks who haven’t been through those shows. The definitely hold up even today. HBO in the late 90s and mid 2000s had amazing shows. They still do but since I couldn’t watch these shows as a kid for obvious reasons I binged Oz, The Wire and Six Feet Under a few years ago and had to tip my hat to HBO.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #734 on: July 07, 2019, 12:05:07 PM »
I know I’m late to the party but OMGosh, Fleabag on Amazon Video!  I had tried to watch it awhile back and found it revolting but gave it another try when Andrew Scott was receiving rave reviews from Season 2.  So good!  Fleabag is funny, it’s sad, it’s dark, it’s got a hot Irish priest...what’s not to love right? 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #735 on: July 08, 2019, 02:31:58 AM »
Deadwood. A bit over the top with swearing but I still like it. The swearing actually is way over the top!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #736 on: July 08, 2019, 08:45:32 PM »
Stranger  Things Season 3 on Netflix.  Very good.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #737 on: July 08, 2019, 10:22:11 PM »
Stranger  Things Season 3 on Netflix.  Very good.

We just finished it tonight. All three seasons are very enjoyable TV.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #738 on: July 10, 2019, 07:00:39 PM »
Amazon Prime has a live music concert tonight at 9pm EST, with Taylor Swift and Dua Lipa

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #739 on: July 10, 2019, 08:00:16 PM »
We're starting season 2 of "Dark" on Netflix. I have high hopes after the excellent first season.

Edited to add a link to this helpful timeline/family tree. This show is very complex.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:13:01 PM by OtherJen »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #740 on: July 11, 2019, 04:11:49 AM »
Finished watching Deadwood it was very good. I read the whole cast cameback to make a movie in 2019 so looking forward to that.

Started watching Sneaky Pete and loving it.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #741 on: July 12, 2019, 09:14:38 PM »
I've been re-watching Boston Legal (because I got a terrible cold and drank too much cough syrup a month ago) and was shocked at how it is more relevant than ever thematically with respect to various political themes at play with Trump & his opposition. I guess it really means the nexus of all the current partisan political dramas were somehow already mostly embedded in the US 15 years ago and we are merely reaching their logical conclusions (we should hope?) with the recent electoral outcomes. Worth a spin if you haven't seen it or haven't given it a thought in a while (it's on Amazon Prime). The lecherousness of both David Spade and Shatner (and others) is also legendary and nearly predicts the #MeToo blowback.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #742 on: July 13, 2019, 05:18:35 PM »
Sharp Objects - watched the first 2 episodes yesterday.  So far it's incredibly good.  The way it deals with memory, trauma and addition is really good.  First rate soundtrack, too.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #743 on: July 14, 2019, 03:33:53 PM »
OMG - Sneaky Pete is damn good !!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #744 on: July 14, 2019, 07:53:58 PM »
Started watching "Blown Away," the glass-blowing competition show, on Netflix. That sounds like the dumbest television idea ever, but I am really enjoying it. All the competitors are serious glass artists and for the most part are focused on their work, not being catty with each other--the lead judge is an art professor, so she's good at giving useful critiques. I'm looking forward to the later episodes where there are fewer competitors so they will be able to spend more time with each one. Glass-blowing is a good television medium because it's very visual (unlike the cooking shows, which are sometimes hard to understand because you can't taste what they're doing) and pretty suspenseful...you can be doing everything absolutely right and still ruin a piece at the last minute through not fault of your own.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #745 on: July 15, 2019, 10:19:27 AM »
Loving Animal Kingdom.  Shades of SOA, but more consistent.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #746 on: July 16, 2019, 03:52:49 AM »
Started watching a British series called fearless on Prime. Excellent but sadly looks to be only one season.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #747 on: July 16, 2019, 07:24:22 AM »
Started watching a British series called fearless on Prime. Excellent but sadly looks to be only one season.

I've noticed that British shows seem to end too early, and US shows seem to drag on for too long.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #748 on: July 16, 2019, 11:10:42 AM »

I've noticed that British shows seem to end too early, and US shows seem to drag on for too long.

I actually really like that about the Brits (and European television in general) - they have more of what we could call a limited series (or mini-series).  Which means they tend to have way less padding than American shows that are open ended (ie, as long as we're making money, we'll keep making this show).  There are some exceptions, of course (Dr. Who springs to mind). 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #749 on: July 21, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »
I rarely find people in real life who have watched The Marvelous Mrs Maisel and Black Sails. Two very good shows! I ignored Mrs Maisel for a while and it was such a good pleasant surprise!

Mrs. Maisel, that show is whip smart.  It's also that rare show that (underneath all the wisecracks) has a benevolent world view.
 Love it.
I enjoyed it, I'm waiting for season 3, I just read, it is supposed to start near the end of 2019.