Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 705037 times)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #650 on: April 29, 2019, 11:23:28 AM »
Just finished wating one Mississippi, very well done show. A comedy family drama but light Tig Nataro stars
I really really liked One Mississippi, too.

Last week I binged on The Kominsky Method, about two senior citizen show bix guys. Great writing, good portrayals by Michale Douglas and Alan Arkin. It is a “comedy” a cording to the producers but it is not broad commedy. I see it more as an ironic and light drama.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 11:25:14 AM by iris lily »

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #651 on: April 30, 2019, 04:26:10 AM »
Loving Enemie Within on NBC but I binged watched it on Hulu. Also just started The Americans and that is excellent as well

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #652 on: April 30, 2019, 06:28:40 PM »
It took me half a season but I finally got into Bosch on Amazon.  It is actually really good.  A little cheesy at times, and some of the casting is questionable, but it is nice to see some familiar faces from The Wire and Justified.  Recommend for fans of SOA and the The Shield.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #653 on: May 01, 2019, 12:53:27 PM »
Watching season one of Patriot on Amazon Prime.  It's such an odd show.  The first several episodes were actually a bit off-putting, but now I'm hooked.  I think when I realized that the whole point was that everything went to hell and couldn't be salvaged took it from a "Fargo but with spies" feel to more of a tragic slow motion car crash with a few funny bits along the way.  Not done yet, so we'll see how it goes.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #654 on: May 06, 2019, 03:00:56 AM »
I really enjoyed Dead to Me on Netflix. Both Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini are great in it and I loved the cliffhanger it ended on. Bit of an obvious set-up but still ended up uncertain until the very end if it really would happen. Hope they'll make a second season.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #655 on: May 07, 2019, 03:06:24 AM »
Watching season one of Patriot on Amazon Prime.  It's such an odd show.  The first several episodes were actually a bit off-putting, but now I'm hooked.  I think when I realized that the whole point was that everything went to hell and couldn't be salvaged took it from a "Fargo but with spies" feel to more of a tragic slow motion car crash with a few funny bits along the way.  Not done yet, so we'll see how it goes.

I totally agree. Patriot is one of my favorite shows. It's fantastic dark, absurdist humor.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #656 on: May 07, 2019, 03:31:02 AM »
Started watching the Americans and really love it.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #657 on: May 07, 2019, 07:31:11 AM »
Happy!  is a strange show, but has it's moments.  Definitely has a bit of Grant Morrison vibe going on.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #658 on: May 07, 2019, 07:41:47 AM »

Americans is a great show.  I would highly recommend this especially to people who are interested in 1980's era spy craft.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #659 on: May 14, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »
anyone watching fleabag on amazon?

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #660 on: May 14, 2019, 08:46:48 AM »

Finished season 1 a while back. Painful to watch, but I liked it :)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #661 on: May 14, 2019, 09:03:59 AM »

Great show.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #662 on: May 14, 2019, 09:18:38 AM »

Finished season 1 a while back. Painful to watch, but I liked it :)

whenever the house needs cleaning i tell my girlfriend that this isn't working anymore.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #663 on: May 15, 2019, 09:21:30 AM »
I'm watching Torchwood. I've never seen Doctor Who, but I can follow along without any trouble, and I'm shipping everyone.

Capt. Jack/Ianto
Gwen/Rhys
Ianto/Respect
Tosh/Happiness

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #664 on: May 15, 2019, 09:23:20 AM »

I totally agree. Patriot is one of my favorite shows. It's fantastic dark, absurdist humor.

Finished watching it and the 2nd season was even stronger than the first.  The flippant comedy of the 1st season is dialed down and the tragic, gallows type humor is dialed up.  Loved it.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #665 on: May 20, 2019, 12:02:15 AM »
Barry.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #666 on: May 20, 2019, 01:01:44 PM »
It took me half a season but I finally got into Bosch on Amazon.  It is actually really good.  A little cheesy at times, and some of the casting is questionable, but it is nice to see some familiar faces from The Wire and Justified.  Recommend for fans of SOA and the The Shield.

I hated Bosch with a passion!

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #667 on: May 20, 2019, 01:12:17 PM »

I get that, it took me a year to get through the first season, but I kept coming back to it because, A. I had watched everything else on Netflix, and B. it got very high IMDB ratings (8.4 /10).  Typically anything above an 8 is usually a pretty good show.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #668 on: May 20, 2019, 01:48:16 PM »

Le Casa De Papel also has very high ratings on IMDB that leave me very confused. I could have sworn I watched a different show from everyone because I made it to the end thinking it gets better, and it instead is such a dumb show. I just don't understand why the rating don't reflect it. The show has some of the dumbest plot lines and characters I have ever come across.

I get that, it took me a year to get through the first season, but I kept coming back to it because, A. I had watched everything else on Netflix, and B. it got very high IMDB ratings (8.4 /10).  Typically anything above an 8 is usually a pretty good show.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #669 on: May 20, 2019, 10:28:17 PM »

Oh! Whoah! sO!a and The Shield and The Wire and Justified!!

Ok now, gotta try it.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #670 on: May 21, 2019, 05:38:57 AM »

Ok now, gotta try it.

Fair warning - it starts slow!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #671 on: May 21, 2019, 09:28:57 AM »

Ok now, gotta try it.

OK, thank you for that warning.

I have always liked that lead actor guy Titus Welliver or whatever his name is. I think he is extremely handsome.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 02:08:38 PM by iris lily »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #672 on: May 21, 2019, 09:57:24 AM »
Finished up Game of Thrones on sunday, trying to get in Westworld season 2 before my free trial at HBO expires.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #673 on: May 22, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
With Good Omens coming May 31 on Amazon Prime Video, I just finished watching Terry Pratchett's Hogswatch. Next up is The Colour of Magic, followed by Going Postal.

Never got into GoT despite watching half of Season 1. Heard on the radio that GRRM said that the book ending is different from the TV series ending. I think I'll go read the books.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #674 on: May 22, 2019, 01:08:18 PM »
Lol.  There is never going to be a book ending.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #675 on: May 23, 2019, 07:30:42 AM »
With Good Omens coming May 31 on Amazon Prime Video, I just finished watching Terry Pratchett's Hogswatch. Next up is The Colour of Magic, followed by Going Postal.

Never got into GoT despite watching half of Season 1. Heard on the radio that GRRM said that the book ending is different from the TV series ending. I think I'll go read the books.

I've got some beachfront property in the Sahara that you might like.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #676 on: May 24, 2019, 09:52:21 AM »
I rarely find people in real life who have watched The Marvelous Mrs Maisel and Black Sails. Two very good shows! I ignored Mrs Maisel for a while and it was such a good pleasant surprise!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #677 on: May 24, 2019, 10:06:45 AM »
I rarely find people in real life who have watched The Marvelous Mrs Maisel and Black Sails. Two very good shows! I ignored Mrs Maisel for a while and it was such a good pleasant surprise!

Mrs. Maisel, that show is whip smart.  It's also that rare show that (underneath all the wisecracks) has a benevolent world view.
 Love it.

Rimu05

• Bristles
« Reply #678 on: May 24, 2019, 12:07:45 PM »
Lol.  There is never going to be a book ending.

This. Not very optimistic about it and quite frankly even if he leaves notes, the book cannot be written by someone else. I tend to notice when shows change writers and have at times had to google if the writing has changed because it becomes blatantly clear the characters and the plot are different.

Unrelated note, Not a show I like but Le Casa De Papel/ Money Heist is a very overrated yet dumb show that I raged at the end because many called it a master piece. There's nothing worse than a dumb show pretending it's smart. The idea is great but it has the dumbest characters I have seen in a very long time.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #679 on: May 24, 2019, 01:16:19 PM »

High five for the Black Sails love.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #680 on: May 24, 2019, 01:25:25 PM »

I watched a few episodes of Mrs. Maisel, and I Have positive ideas about it, it’s just that it’s relentlessly promoted and so I was a little sick of it just from the endless promotions. But that is a dumb criticism. It is a high-quality show and it’s got a lot going on that’s interesting

My main  problem with it is that I do not like that era of fashion and so I wince at almost everything they all wear.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:21:09 AM by iris lily »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #681 on: May 24, 2019, 02:09:11 PM »
Dead to Me on Netflix with Christine Applegate. Very twisted, entertaining!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #682 on: May 24, 2019, 02:56:09 PM »

I watched a few episodes of Mrs. Maisel, and I Have positive ideas about it, it’s just that it’s relentlessly promoted and so I was a little sick of it just from the endless promotions. But that is a dumb criticism. It is a high-quality show and it’s got a lot going on that’s interesting

When I made problems with it is that I do not like that era of fashion and so I wins at almost everything that they all wear.

I've never seen a promotion for it.  Where are you seeing those?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #683 on: May 25, 2019, 06:40:28 PM »

When I made problems with it is that I do not like that era of fashion and so I wins at almost everything that they all wear.

Our Fire TV device used to run promos for Mrs. Maisel all the time.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #684 on: May 26, 2019, 11:19:49 AM »

Americans is a great show.  I would highly recommend this especially to people who are interested in 1980's era spy craft.

The Americans was the last good drama I watched. i finished it last fall. I had started it some years ago, became bored with the kinda silly wigs/disguises used, then got back into it last summer after Critics kept saying it was the best thing on TV.

I’m so glad I watched it in its entirety.. The last few episodes of the last season are gripping. The final scenes of the last episode are some of the best ever made on TV.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 11:22:32 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #685 on: May 26, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »

Amazon Prime.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #686 on: May 26, 2019, 11:38:03 AM »

Ok now, gotta try it.

OK. I watched  the first season of Bosch. I didn’t like it and I’ll say why below, but when you say start slow do you mean upcoming season gets better in character development or plotting? Did they get new writers?

I’m sorry to be such a wet blanket but I found this show to be predictable like network TV is predictable. I did not find the characters interesting, it Is a typical renegade cop doing good show. Note that Bosch only kills the bad guys in season one,  There is nothing especially interesting about Bosch Even though they try to give him a backstory —prostitute mom—it aint all that.

When Season One opened in The Shield we knew right away that Vic Mackey was a bad guy with a gun who often did good things. He stole millions of dollars. He killed good people. The Shield’s characterization and plotting and everything about it was top notch.  I love The Shield and I don’t watch cop shows, but that and The Wire transcended their genre.

So sorry, now I am back to searching for dramas I like. I’m finishing Ozark which I find decent.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #687 on: May 28, 2019, 06:02:15 AM »

Ok now, gotta try it.

OK. I watched  the first season of Bosch. I didn’t like it and I’ll say why below, but when you say start slow do you mean upcoming season gets better in character development or plotting? Did they get new writers?

I’m sorry to be such a wet blanket but I found this show to be predictable like network TV is predictable. I did not find the characters interesting, it Is a typical renegade cop doing good show. Note that Bosch only kills the bad guys in season one,  There is nothing especially interesting about Bosch Even though they try to give him a backstory —prostitute mom—it aint all that.

When Season One opened in The Shield we knew right away that Vic Mackey was a bad guy with a gun who often did good things. He stole millions of dollars. He killed good people. The Shield’s characterization and plotting and everything about it was top notch.  I love The Shield and I don’t watch cop shows, but that and The Wire transcended their genre.

So sorry, now I am back to searching for dramas I like. I’m finishing Ozark which I find decent.

Fair enough, but The Shield and The Wire are two of the greatest shows of all time so everything is going to come up short.  One thing about Bosch, it did seem to get better every season, as opposed something like SOA which gradually dropped away and then finally that disastrous last season.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #688 on: May 28, 2019, 08:06:44 AM »

Ok now, gotta try it.

Fair enough, but The Shield and The Wire are two of the greatest shows of all time so everything is going to come up short.  One thing about Bosch, it did seem to get better every season, as opposed something like SOA which gradually dropped away and then finally that disastrous last season.

You are right, SOA got stupider with each season and I will confess that I stopped watching after Opie died. But when I loved it, I LOVED it! Those greasy, dirty, old motercycle guys were the bomb.

I still pull up Jax’s final scene on Youtube and watch now and then.  The accompanying music may be sentimental, but I think it is a lovely pairing with that scene. It is original, Sutter and someone else wrote it for the final season.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:08:51 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #689 on: May 29, 2019, 03:06:07 PM »
I am enjoying Dead to Me.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #690 on: May 29, 2019, 03:14:20 PM »

Have you watched Fargo the tv series on Hulu?  For a SoA and Shield (and I assume Breaking Bad) fan, Fargo the series should be right up your alley.  Dark, but also perversely funny.  And I like how each season shifts the scope of the show. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #691 on: May 30, 2019, 09:13:36 AM »

Have you watched Fargo the tv series on Hulu?  For a SoA and Shield (and I assume Breaking Bad) fan, Fargo the series should be right up your alley.  Dark, but also perversely funny.  And I like how each season shifts the scope of the show.

Oh sure. Season 1 and 2 were really really good. Not so much with Season 3, but it was a good try at something different.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #692 on: May 30, 2019, 10:52:31 AM »

Oh sure. Season 1 and 2 were really really good. Not so much with Season 3, but it was a good try at something different.

Funny, season 3 was my favorite.  But then again I thought the Shield was good but not great and SoA was terrible.  Not sure if you like superhero shows, but Legion is excellent, also on Hulu I believe.  On the crime show front, I really loved the TV series Hannibal but I seem to be alone in that, so take it for what it's worth.  Season 1 of Hannibal was merely OK because it seemed they were trying to shoehorn it into the old "bad guy helps the police solve crime" trope.  But seasons 2 and 3 I loved because they cut all ties to that and just went bat shit insane.  Loved that. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #693 on: May 30, 2019, 11:09:49 AM »
We're two episodes into Broadchurch on Netflix. So far, it's compelling.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #694 on: May 30, 2019, 11:43:11 AM »

I can't get enough of the British stuff.  Endeavour, Shetland, Happy Valley, etc.  Digging into the lesser known stuff now - just watched a couple of seasons of The Unforgotten.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #695 on: May 30, 2019, 12:53:10 PM »
Broadchurch 1st series was decent. Along those lines I liked Happy Valley and that one with Jillian
Anderson.

I’m not a big fan of the typical police procedural or murder series.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #696 on: May 30, 2019, 07:51:12 PM »
I watched Animal Kingdom on Amz Prime, because I like the kid from Peaky Blinders who’s in it but then moved to watching Southland on Hulu because Shawn Hatosy’s portrayal of Pope Cody on Animal Kingdom is so deep.  The quintessential tender psychopath who needs a hair cut!  Southland was new to me too, and also has some really good acting from Regina King and Hatosy again. 

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #697 on: May 31, 2019, 06:31:03 AM »
I watched Animal Kingdom on Amz Prime, because I like the kid from Peaky Blinders who’s in it but then moved to watching Southland on Hulu because Shawn Hatosy’s portrayal of Pope Cody on Animal Kingdom is so deep.  The quintessential tender psychopath who needs a hair cut!  Southland was new to me too, and also has some really good acting from Regina King and Hatosy again.

I liked the movie - Ben Mendelsohn from Bloodline plays Pope - but have not got around to watching the tv show.  I'm a little hesitant as often when British or Australian tv shows are re-produced in America they lose some of the grit that made them so good.

But 4 seasons in, it obviously has staying power, so I will add it to my list!

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #698 on: May 31, 2019, 07:22:37 AM »
Really enjoying, "The Act" on Hulu. Munchausen syndrome by proxy.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #699 on: May 31, 2019, 06:29:30 PM »
watched 2 episodes of Good Omens today on Amazon Prime. I'm a Terry Pratchett fan.
Not disappointed. Not super thrilled.
But it's nice to watch a show that's based on a book I've read.
I don't like to deep-dive into comparing books vs their visual productions.
Just chuffed.