Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 699785 times)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #350 on: April 30, 2018, 08:09:33 AM »
Just started watching Foyle's War on Acorn. I guess I'm late to the party, but it is surprisingly good. I'm not crazy about WWII-set dramas, and the premise of a policeman solving crimes in England while all the war brouhaha is going on sounds like a mash-up. But the acting is great, the stories seem fresh, and I'd say it's worth watching an episode or two to see if you like it. I'm on series 1, episode 4.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #351 on: April 30, 2018, 10:40:24 AM »
I recently saw the 1st season of Iron Fist on Netflix.  It wasn't the best show, but I still enjoyed watching it. From reading some comments on it, I guess it's supposed to converge with the other Marvel character's shows in the future, so I guess I need to watch the others.

I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage more than Iron Fist and recommend both. Those three characters and Daredevil are all in the Defenders movie, which was also fun (and I’m not usually a superhero fan).
We started watching Jessica Jones over the last several days, and are about  halfway through the first season now. I like it, but don't find it as easy to watch for some reason.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #352 on: May 02, 2018, 06:03:01 PM »
Signed up for a free month of HBO via a Roku coupon.  Slammed through Season 7 of Game of Thrones.  Still the best show on the air right now, IMO. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #353 on: May 03, 2018, 09:02:23 AM »
Every time a new season of Game of Thrones comes up, I sign up for a month or two of HBO--enjoy the show, and also all the other things HBO has been making over the last year (and the movies that haven't come to Netflix etc yet). I saw Big Little Lies and True Detective (the first season) that way and really enjoyed them--also got to sample a lot of other things I had heard about. I thought I'd love Westworld but it was too brutal for me, even as a GOT watcher.

Pizzabrewer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #354 on: May 03, 2018, 11:48:30 AM »
I recently saw the 1st season of Iron Fist on Netflix.  It wasn't the best show, but I still enjoyed watching it. From reading some comments on it, I guess it's supposed to converge with the other Marvel character's shows in the future, so I guess I need to watch the others.

I liked Jessica Jones and Luke Cage more than Iron Fist and recommend both. Those three characters and Daredevil are all in the Defenders movie, which was also fun (and I’m not usually a superhero fan).

The first season of Jessica Jones is my favorite of all the various superhero television series.

I'm not very familiar with the Marvel "universe".  I watched Iron Fist and liked it.  Then I read the reviews and found out I wasn't supposed to like it.  Jessica Jones, that's the ticket, they all said.

So I started watching.  She catches him!  He gets away!!  She catches him!!  He gets away!!!

After about 5 cycles of this I had to stop watching.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #355 on: May 03, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »

The first season of Jessica Jones is my favorite of all the various superhero television series.

I'm not very familiar with the Marvel "universe".  I watched Iron Fist and liked it.  Then I read the reviews and found out I wasn't supposed to like it.  Jessica Jones, that's the ticket, they all said.

So I started watching.  She catches him!  He gets away!!  She catches him!!  He gets away!!!

Lol.  You're right about that.  I found Iron Fist more enjoyable to watch, but Jessica Jones has much better fight scenes, and there is more and better growth in the characters.  One thing that bugs me is, she's like the stronger person in the world, but some random nobody who could barely swat a fly takes her out.  That kind if inconsistency drives me nuts wherever I encounter it in shows.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #356 on: May 03, 2018, 12:21:16 PM »
So, anyone else watching Jersey Shore Family Vacation....anyone...?

*crickets*

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #357 on: May 03, 2018, 12:27:36 PM »
We are re-watching Westworld season one before we delve into season two.  Fantastic

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #358 on: May 03, 2018, 01:48:31 PM »

A lot of people complained about this when the series first came out. The various streaming services are getting better about this, but especially at first their series were notorious for strong beginnings and endings and kind of saggy middles where they are stalling for time until they had burned through enough episodes to get to the final arc. I'm not sure if it's unique to them or if we just notice it more than traditional TV because on Netflix people tend to binge-watch. I always thought it was particularly dumb with series like Daredevil and Jessica Jones...those characters have day jobs that lend themselves perfectly to stand-alone episodes to intermix with The Big Plot. Just give Jessica an interesting case to solve! I will say that Jessica Jones S. 1 has one of the most satisfying finales that I have seen in quite awhile.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #359 on: May 03, 2018, 03:18:43 PM »
Watching:

The Grand Tour.

Ash vs Evil Dead.

Great British/Continental/American Railroad Journeys

Curb Your Enthusiasm (season 9)

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #360 on: May 03, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »
We are re-watching Westworld season one before we delve into season two.  Fantastic
[/quote

Debating if I should get HBO to watch season 2 WW or just wait for GoT and watch both then.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #361 on: May 04, 2018, 09:21:58 AM »

*crickets*

We are starting from season 1 and working our way towards this one.... Sometimes you just need trash TV in your life.

ptobest

• Stubble
« Reply #362 on: May 04, 2018, 03:51:14 PM »

*crickets*

We are starting from season 1 and working our way towards this one.... Sometimes you just need trash TV in your life.

Haha agreed. I was really into the show back when it was on the air (even got Snooki & J-Woww's books - have been donated since, though), it works very well as a guilty pleasure.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #363 on: May 07, 2018, 06:37:11 AM »
Great Canal Journeys. Didn't watch much of it but it was on while I was working and from what I did watch it was slow, relaxing and occasionally the old couple is pretty funny. Learned a bit about canals too.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #364 on: May 07, 2018, 10:58:37 AM »
I just started watching The Missing on Amazon.  So far it's pretty good.  Another one that I just finished was The Good Wife.  That got a little annoying in the later seasons but the first few seasons were entertaining.

Flynlow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #365 on: May 07, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »
Rick and Morty.  The pickle Rick episode had me in literal tears laughing.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #366 on: May 11, 2018, 08:44:49 AM »
Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Expanse were both cancelled yesterday.

I would recommend watching both Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Expanse.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #367 on: May 11, 2018, 09:09:48 AM »

Oh, dammit.  My husband is so into The Expanse.  I like it, too. This is going to bum him out.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #368 on: May 11, 2018, 09:19:18 AM »

Oh, dammit.  My husband is so into The Expanse.  I like it, too. This is going to bum him out.
It's been *really* flippin' good this season so far.

Apparently the production company is going to shop it around to other distributors.  Hopefully Netflix or someone else will snap it up.  Syfy got a crap deal for it, and only had the rights to first-run, linear television, and the ratings didn't support that (it's an expensive show; $5-7M/episode apparently).  Who the hell watches first-run, linear television anymore?  I watch it on Amazon.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #369 on: May 11, 2018, 09:56:38 AM »

Apparently the production company is going to shop it around to other distributors.  Hopefully Netflix or someone else will snap it up.  Syfy got a crap deal for it, and only had the rights to first-run, linear television, and the ratings didn't support that (it's an expensive show; $5-7M/episode apparently).  Who the hell watches first-run, linear television anymore?  I watch it on Amazon.

Us, apparently.  We also still get physical Netflix discs via snail mail LOL. 

I'm not surprised the expense is too much for Syfy. I hope it gets picked up.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #370 on: May 11, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
Apparently there is also some thought that Brooklyn Nine-Nine might go to a streaming service. (It's a big cast, though, and I have to assume Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher are pretty expensive to hire).

I would be happy either way...I think having the series end with Jake and Amy's wedding (and Holt's promotion?) would be a nice stopping point representing five excellent seasons, or it would be fun to have some more of it if everyone is up for it and still has good ideas. I just hate to see a zombie show staggering along that is a shadow of what it used to be.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: May 11, 2018, 10:04:40 AM »

Syfy is very funny about its catalogue. There is a lot that just isn't available anywhere, even though a lot of their material seems like the kind of thing that would be perfect for binge-watching on a streaming service. I love their series Killjoys, and the only place I can get it is on Netflix DVD if I don't want to buy the series as a separate download.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #372 on: May 11, 2018, 10:18:59 AM »
Apparently there is also some thought that Brooklyn Nine-Nine might go to a streaming service. (It's a big cast, though, and I have to assume Andy Samberg and Andre Braugher are pretty expensive to hire).

I would be happy either way...I think having the series end with Jake and Amy's wedding (and Holt's promotion?) would be a nice stopping point representing five excellent seasons, or it would be fun to have some more of it if everyone is up for it and still has good ideas. I just hate to see a zombie show staggering along that is a shadow of what it used to be.
I just wish they had known it was the last season and written it that way.  Maybe they did it Chuck style and made it a this-could-be-a-finale-but-leave-the-door-open-for-more-just-in-case episode.  It's always been "on the bubble."

Who the hell watches first-run, linear television anymore?  I watch it on Amazon.

Hmm, shit. :P

I feel like basic cable channels like Syfy are the ones left in the dust most by cord-cutters.  The big broadcast networks have a built in audience even if nobody has cable, and the premium cable networks (HBO, etc) all have their own pay streaming services.  But I'm sure basic cable can't do that due to advertising deals.  Though most of basic cable is shit anyway.  I think The Expanse is the only basic cable show I've watched apart from AMC's stuff since like 2005.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #373 on: May 11, 2018, 11:51:20 AM »

I feel like basic cable channels like Syfy are the ones left in the dust most by cord-cutters.  The big broadcast networks have a built in audience even if nobody has cable, and the premium cable networks (HBO, etc) all have their own pay streaming services.  But I'm sure basic cable can't do that due to advertising deals.  Though most of basic cable is shit anyway.  I think The Expanse is the only basic cable show I've watched apart from AMC's stuff since like 2005.

There's definitely something to that. I will occasionally buy one of their shows on an individual basis (I used to do that with Mad Men, for instance) but they produce a lot of things that I would enjoy if I found them on streaming but don't like enough to specifically purchase--the USA shows like Suits, for instance. And it seems to be very hit or miss how long they take to get to streaming, and where they're found.

DenverDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #374 on: May 11, 2018, 02:08:23 PM »
Based on this thread. I just picked up Westworld season 1 from the library. I also requested The Expanse season 1 and Brooklyn 99 season 1 from the library.

I also picked up season 6 of VEEP, which is a great show. Julia Louis-Dreyfus is excellent in it along with all the supporting cast.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #375 on: May 12, 2018, 04:14:06 PM »
I have been binging on Netflix’s The Fastest Car this weekend.  Lots of emotion, burning rubber and putting the pedal to the metal.  I may drive a practical Prius but gotta love the sound of a hot V8.

rab-bit

• Bristles
« Reply #376 on: May 12, 2018, 04:47:47 PM »
I just started watching Killing Eve on BBC America, about a female MI5 agent who is hunting a female assassin, who is in turn stalking her. Weird, interesting and entertaining.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2018/04/lady-killer

snapperdude

• Stubble
« Reply #377 on: May 12, 2018, 07:26:29 PM »

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #378 on: May 13, 2018, 04:04:50 AM »
My wife and I really enjoyed Bosch on Amazon Prime.

I binged some shows on recent international travel and really enjoyed Longmire and Jessica Jones.  I just finished the final season of Longmire and was sad.  Really enjoyed that one.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #379 on: May 13, 2018, 03:07:05 PM »

I binged some shows on recent international travel and really enjoyed Longmire and Jessica Jones.  I just finished the final season of Longmire and was sad.  Really enjoyed that one.

If you liked Longmire you should check out Hell on Wheels.  Similar feel and quality.  It’s on Netflix too.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: May 13, 2018, 05:49:31 PM »
Most of the shows on TV these days don't appeal to me, but for current series, I like:

The 100 (recently started a new season)
Gotham (still running current season)
Stranger Things (off season)

I might binge watch GoT one of these days since everyone seems to like it.  I'm waiting for them to wrap up the final season before I get started.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #381 on: May 16, 2018, 03:00:52 PM »
New Girl might be my favorite show ever.

It follows my exploits as a law school dropout, then bartender, then bar owner/novelist. My zombie novel had a limited audience, but the Pepperwood Chronicles sold over 30 copies. And some of those readers were middle school aged girls.

-goes out of character- Seriously, I style some of my writing based on the dialogue of this show, because it's so perfect and funny and charming and authentic. I loved the characters up to the end, whereas even with great shows like The Office and Parks & Rec, characters were getting a bit stale and long in the tooth.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:07:23 PM by Nick_Miller »

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #382 on: May 17, 2018, 12:21:40 PM »
What?  No Cobra Kai fans here?    :D

MatthewK

• Stubble
« Reply #383 on: May 22, 2018, 06:05:40 AM »
Kinda embarrassed to admit....but we ( 3 daughters under 13 and wife) have been watching Heartland on Netflix. It's a Canadian series based in the Alberta area. Horse ranchers pretty much based on.....horses. It's pretty innocent which is good for the kids with a bit of family drama thrown in. The down side is there is like a million episodes, like 10 seasons so far with about 20 episodes per!!! Not sure if I can make it that far :-).

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #384 on: May 22, 2018, 06:16:52 AM »
I'm really disappointed the The Expanse was cancelled. That is/was a wonderful show. At least we have the books, which are fantastic. Well worth reading...but the TV show was a nice complement.

Just started watching Loch Ness on Acorn. Very dark, no monster apparently, except for whoever the human monster is that is killing people. Incredible scenery, hard-to-decipher Scottish accents--but I'm three episodes in, and I'm hooked. Very suspenseful. Siobhan Finneran from Happy Valley is a Chief Inspector.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #385 on: May 22, 2018, 06:38:52 AM »
evil genius.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #386 on: May 22, 2018, 07:35:43 AM »
What?  No Cobra Kai fans here?    :D

I've only caught the first three episodes, but Cobra Kai is surprisingly good.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #387 on: May 22, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »
I'm really disappointed the The Expanse was cancelled. That is/was a wonderful show. At least we have the books, which are fantastic. Well worth reading...but the TV show was a nice complement.
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/amazon-the-expanse-season-4-1202818147/amp/  There's hope yet.  Hopefully Amazon comes through.  Season 3 has been fantastic.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #388 on: May 22, 2018, 10:08:02 AM »
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/amazon-the-expanse-season-4-1202818147/amp/  There's hope yet.  Hopefully Amazon comes through.  Season 3 has been fantastic.

Agreed.

At the risk of being hyperbolic, Season 3 of The Expanse has been better than the last three Star Trek films, all the recent Star Wars films and Guardians of the Galaxy films rolled into one.   

ha

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #389 on: May 28, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »

Agreed.

At the risk of being hyperbolic, Season 3 of The Expanse has been better than the last three Star Trek films, all the recent Star Wars films and Guardians of the Galaxy films rolled into one.   

ha

I just read that The Expanse got picked up by Amazon.  Good news.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #390 on: May 28, 2018, 12:20:11 PM »

Agreed.

ha

Hurray! I just caught up watching the first 7 episodes of season 3, and there isn't a doubt in my mind that this is the best science fiction to come onto the screen in a long time. It's head and shoulders above everything else that's been out there in the past few years.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #391 on: May 28, 2018, 01:55:46 PM »
I just finished the PBS Masterpiece miniseries of Little Women (3 episodes). It had mixed reviews, but I liked it. The casting was good and it was beautifully filmed. Unexpectedly, I liked Maya Hawke better than Winona Ryder in the role of Jo.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: May 28, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »

Agreed.

ha

Hurray! I just caught up watching the first 7 episodes of season 3, and there isn't a doubt in my mind that this is the best science fiction to come onto the screen in a long time. It's head and shoulders above everything else that's been out there in the past few years.

What are the different options for watching "The Expanse" ?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #393 on: May 28, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »

Agreed.

ha

The best way is watching it on Amazon Prime (first two seasons are included with Prime).  You can also watch it on Syfy on basic cable if you hate yourself.  Netflix has the international distribution rights in some areas (not the US).

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #394 on: May 29, 2018, 02:47:31 AM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Safe yet. Only 8 episodes, Michael C Hall, British, whodunnit, and amazing. My bro binged the whole season yesterday.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2018, 06:48:23 AM »

If you liked Longmire you should check out Hell on Wheels.  Similar feel and quality.  It’s on Netflix too.
Thanks, I'll check it out!

DenverDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #396 on: May 29, 2018, 10:54:16 AM »

Agreed.

ha

Check your local library.

CRG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #397 on: May 29, 2018, 11:04:05 AM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Safe yet. Only 8 episodes, Michael C Hall, British, whodunnit, and amazing. My bro binged the whole season yesterday.

Agree on this one. We also watched the first season of The Rain on Netflix...lots of similarities to Walking Dead, but different enough.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #398 on: May 29, 2018, 11:54:16 AM »
I really liked using my Amazon Prime for The Expanse. I tried catching up with On Demand on the SyFy channel, but the commercials just killed the story--it's complex, and constantly being interrupted by commercials made it almost impossible to follow. Also, when I had to pause the On Demand to take the dog out, it would then re-start the episode from the beginning, and not let me fast forward to where I needed to be. I hated like crazy to pay for it, but it was well-worth the money. I hadn't thought about trying the library.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #399 on: May 30, 2018, 05:10:40 AM »
For you Rosanne fans out there, I've got bad news for you.  It's been canceled.
Didn't watch the original or the reboot.  No great loss.