Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 723019 times)

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #3250 on: April 11, 2024, 06:29:16 AM »
Thanks to Ripley I now want an old Fiat.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #3251 on: April 11, 2024, 06:46:04 AM »
We watched the first EPs of Ripley and Sugar last night. They are a lot of similarities so they started to blur together so we will finish one then restart the other. I loved Ripley, it's a picture book. I liked Sugar too. In the 80s there were loads of PI type shows but you don't see them so often now, eh? I guess it's easier to track people down.

Sugar sounds right up my alley, thanks for the rec.  I grew up on shows like Rockford Files and Magnum!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3252 on: April 12, 2024, 06:52:56 PM »
Recently watched The Brothers Sun on Netflix. Really enjoyed it, the fight scenes were top notch. A few weeks ago watched Beef on the same network. So, apparently Asian comedy-dramas are my thing now...not a bad thing.
It's a shame the series didn't get renewed.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3253 on: April 12, 2024, 06:57:01 PM »
Watched Mr Bates vs The Post Office on PBS.
It was good, but didn't feel satisfying. Maybe because it is the typical British subdued feeling at the end of many series.
Toby Jones was good to watch. Good to see him back on the telly. Enjoyed his acting in The Detectorists.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3254 on: April 12, 2024, 07:25:04 PM »
It was good, but didn't feel satisfying. Maybe because it is the typical British subdued feeling at the end of many series.
Toby Jones was good to watch. Good to see him back on the telly. Enjoyed his acting in The Detectorists.

The story is incredible and so devastatingly sad though.

bill1827

• Stubble
« Reply #3255 on: April 13, 2024, 03:32:24 AM »

It's a true story which is still unravelling - the inquiry hasn't finished yet. Many of the post masters have yet to receive compensation  for ruined lives and probably won't be adequately compensated if they do get compensation.

Those culpable won't get any action taken against them by the state so they will carry on untouched by the damage that they've cause, complete with their nice, enormous salaries.

Down beat is the right ending.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3256 on: April 13, 2024, 03:22:35 PM »

It's a true story which is still unravelling - the inquiry hasn't finished yet. Many of the post masters have yet to receive compensation  for ruined lives and probably won't be adequately compensated if they do get compensation.

Those culpable won't get any action taken against them by the state so they will carry on untouched by the damage that they've cause, complete with their nice, enormous salaries.

Down beat is the right ending.

And given some people took their lives over it, anything very upbeat & celebratory would have been inappropriate. The makers no doubt would have been thinking of those people the whole time.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3257 on: April 17, 2024, 10:35:25 AM »
I'm almost done with Foundation's newest season, and I've been enjoying that.

We're watchin Fallout, which is loosely based on the computer game. Don't let that dissuade you, though. There's plenty of plot, humor, and mystery to be found.

^^ This user works for Vault-tec.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3258 on: April 17, 2024, 11:00:22 AM »

We're watchin Fallout, which is loosely based on the computer game. Don't let that dissuade you, though. There's plenty of plot, humor, and mystery to be found.

We just started it last night actually.  We had to finish the latest season of Invincible first.

I typically watch one or two shows with my wife, and one or two by myself.  I can't have too many ongoing shows at a time or it stresses me out.  I only typically can get one episode of a show in an evening, and 3-4 evenings a week.  Other nights I watch baseball or a Warhammer 40k youtube stream, or I play a game.  I've just started playing through Fallout 3 again, and intend to play New Vegas and Fallout 4 after, but at my speed that'd take me a year.

Right now I'm watching Fallout (1 ep in), Foundation (2 or 3 ep left), and Echo (1 ep in).  Foundation and Echo are solo shows, as my wife isn't into them.  She wasn't crazy about Fallout either, so I might continue watching that solo too.  I'll probably finish one or two of these before I start anything else.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3259 on: April 17, 2024, 12:41:40 PM »

I've heard good things from people who have seen the whole first season of Fallout (love that they dropped it all at once) so I'm going for it.  I'm familiar with the games, but you don't need to be in order to enjoy the narrative as far as I can tell, it probably helps though to understand the characters and the universe.  I'm really enjoying all of the different stories going on and crossing over.  It's not serious, believable sci fi or fiction, but it's a lot of fun.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #3260 on: April 17, 2024, 12:46:46 PM »

I've heard good things from people who have seen the whole first season of Fallout (love that they dropped it all at once) so I'm going for it.  I'm familiar with the games, but you don't need to be in order to enjoy the narrative as far as I can tell, it probably helps though to understand the characters and the universe.  I'm really enjoying all of the different stories going on and crossing over.  It's not serious, believable sci fi or fiction, but it's a lot of fun.

I have played all the Fallout games, in their original releases.  I love the show.  It's not simply fan service, although there are plenty of Easter eggs.  It has added a good dose of lore, in a way that I think would be hard to do with in-game media snippets.  The ending cliffhanger is also very interesting, to see how the show meshes with the game!   'Nuff said.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #3261 on: April 22, 2024, 07:22:37 PM »
Ripley (Netflix) is outstanding in all aspects. I give it 9/10.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3262 on: April 23, 2024, 07:21:20 AM »
Started Justified - City Primeval last night. Two episodes in and it's starting to find its footing

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3263 on: April 23, 2024, 10:12:28 AM »
Started Justified - City Primeval last night. Two episodes in and it's starting to find its footing

I still haven’t watched it. I loved the original series of course.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3264 on: April 23, 2024, 12:42:53 PM »
I was a big fan of the original series also. I watched it several years ago and finally got my wife to start watching it a few months back. We finished it and started City Primeval immediately

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #3265 on: April 23, 2024, 02:53:51 PM »
I finished the first series of Fallout.   As a longtime player, I really liked it: enough familiar without seeming like having to catch up someone new to the setting, and new bits of lore that kept it quite interesting.  I hope it is good enough to go beyond the gamer set, and get a second series.

Coincidentally, CNBC on XM radio (of all places) played me two different prepper meal kit ads back-to-back.  Somebody's algorithm needs to be adjusted....

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3266 on: April 23, 2024, 02:55:15 PM »
I believe Fallout has already been greenlit for a second season

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #3267 on: April 25, 2024, 01:03:18 AM »
Baby Reindeer on Netflix is wild. Once you get past the cringe factor it's quite good.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3268 on: April 25, 2024, 05:40:03 AM »
I've had a very big few days and my reward was the final episode of Happy Valley series 3. It was perfection!

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3269 on: April 26, 2024, 12:22:50 AM »
I've had a very big few days and my reward was the final episode of Happy Valley series 3. It was perfection!

What a great reward! It's very good, isn't it?!

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3270 on: April 26, 2024, 02:59:02 AM »

SO GOOD!

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3271 on: April 26, 2024, 01:21:13 PM »

SO GOOD!

Have you seen mcmafia? We've just finished that and the main guy from HV is in that. V good too.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3272 on: April 29, 2024, 09:03:15 AM »
On EP3 of Dead Boy Detectives. I'm not as familiar with this narrative as I was with Sandman before watching it (which I enjoyed) but I'm having fun watching this!

(Very YA-oriented though - I'm definitely getting Wednesday vibes in terms of audience appeal.)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3273 on: April 29, 2024, 10:08:11 AM »
I think Ripley is a slog and I stopped partway through the third episode.

Loved all the happy Valley series.

I liked Baby Reindeer quite a bit
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 10:09:44 AM by iris lily »

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3274 on: April 29, 2024, 10:46:01 AM »
'Baby Reindeer' is quite a ride but didn't nail the landing, at all (IMHO).  I am washing my palate out now with 'From' (on MGM+, which I subbed to for a month in order to see The Beekeeper).  'Ninja Kamui' on Max is also really fun for what it is (ridiculous anime fights using 'secret art' superpowers and giant mechs called Gusoku Gear).  The season finale just dropped yesterday.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3275 on: April 29, 2024, 01:29:52 PM »
I heard yesterday Baby Reindeer is based on a true story so I assume they used the endling that actually happened.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3276 on: April 29, 2024, 03:56:07 PM »
I heard yesterday Baby Reindeer is based on a true story so I assume they used the endling that actually happened.

The main actor is the writer. He has made it very clear that the emotions of the events are real, but that he has substantially changed much of the content, which is why he doesn't even use his own name for the main character even though it's supposed to be himself.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3277 on: April 29, 2024, 04:42:10 PM »

The main actor is the writer. He has made it very clear that the emotions of the events are real, but that he has substantially changed much of the content, which is why he doesn't even use his own name for the main character even though it's supposed to be himself.

Yeah, after I read your comments, on a whim I googled 'Martha Scott' and saw some relatively recent news headlines that the woman outed as the stalker (Fiona Harvey) plans to sue Richard Gadd...  how that for a real ending LOL!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3278 on: April 29, 2024, 06:54:44 PM »

Yeah, after I read your comments, on a whim I googled 'Martha Scott' and saw some relatively recent news headlines that the woman outed as the stalker (Fiona Harvey) plans to sue Richard Gadd...  how that for a real ending LOL!

Reading the article where she talks about suing him was surreal. Like holy shit did he ever nail exactly the way she talks about herself, she sounds seriously unhinged.

And she outed herself!

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3279 on: April 30, 2024, 07:29:59 AM »
I've recently started "The Completely Made-Up Adventures of Dick Turpin" on Apple TV.  It's silly and I love it.  It's a really fun show.

Interestingly, Dick Turpin is a real highwayman from the 1700s.  After his execution, his adventures (from Wikipedia) "were romanticized as dashing and heroic in English ballads and popular theatre of the 18th and 19th centuries, and in film and television in the 20th century."  I imagine the real Dick wasn't quite as flamboyant and silly as the one in the show, but I like to imagine he was.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3280 on: May 01, 2024, 03:26:03 AM »
We've just started watching the "flack" series starring Anna paquin. We weren't sure about it to start with but getting into it now.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3281 on: May 01, 2024, 03:44:18 AM »
We've just started watching the "flack" series starring Anna paquin. We weren't sure about it to start with but getting into it now.

It starts off strong and has some great bits but it never really finds its footing tonally.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3282 on: May 01, 2024, 08:19:11 AM »

It starts off strong and has some great bits but it never really finds its footing tonally.

There's some good one - liners in ep 1. We'll manage our expectations then.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3283 on: May 01, 2024, 06:41:16 PM »

Yeah, the dialogue holds up throughout, it's just the plot that can't figure out what kind of show it's trying to be. But the dialogue and the characters are great.

If you don't expect it to be as great a show as it should be, it's delightfully fun to watch. Just don't expect it to live up the potential it promises in the first episode or two.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3284 on: May 01, 2024, 11:54:15 PM »

Yeah, the dialogue holds up throughout, it's just the plot that can't figure out what kind of show it's trying to be. But the dialogue and the characters are great.

If you don't expect it to be as great a show as it should be, it's delightfully fun to watch. Just don't expect it to live up the potential it promises in the first episode or two.

That makes sense. We're actually wondering whether to continue after watching more last night and what you'd said too. I feel very sorry for her partner.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3285 on: May 08, 2024, 05:18:19 AM »
I don't know the situation elsewhere but here we are getting Sugar week to week. Ep 6 has taken a weird turn! And I have to wait til Friday to find out what the heck.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3286 on: May 08, 2024, 05:58:07 AM »
I don't know the situation elsewhere but here we are getting Sugar week to week. Ep 6 has taken a weird turn! And I have to wait til Friday to find out what the heck.

I’ll have to rejoin Apple + for a month or two once I finish’From’.  For people missing’Lost’, this is like a horror version of that.  Started a bit slow, but really strong finish to the first season and great second season!  Also really happy’Evil’ and ‘Battlestar Galactica’ showed up on Prime.  Rewatching a bit of those is fun!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3287 on: May 08, 2024, 07:45:24 AM »
Battlestar Galactica (well, the newer one at least) was a season and a half of one of the best science fiction shows of all time.  And then the writers just slowly gave less and less of a crap about the show until we had one of the worst endings of a series ever broadcast.  :P

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3288 on: May 08, 2024, 09:05:45 AM »
Battlestar Galactica (well, the newer one at least) was a season and a half of one of the best science fiction shows of all time.  And then the writers just slowly gave less and less of a crap about the show until we had one of the worst endings of a series ever broadcast.  :P

+ 10,000%!

spartana

• Bristles
  • FIREd at 36
« Reply #3289 on: May 08, 2024, 09:23:41 AM »

+ 10,000%!
So say we all. That was also my feelings about "The Expanse".
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 09:27:59 AM by spartana »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3290 on: May 08, 2024, 10:00:06 AM »

+ 10,000%!
So say we all. That was also my feelings about "The Expanse".

At least with the Expanse I feel like they had more story to tell, but were rushed trying to tie things up.  With BSG they just totally ran out of ideas.  "This dudes a cylon!  That chick is a cylon!  OK, fuck it.  Everyone's a cylon!  Ummm . . . I really wish we didn't blow our entire final season writing budget on this new cover of All Along the Watchtower!"

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3291 on: May 08, 2024, 02:55:49 PM »

Same here week to week and talk about a weird turn.... I knew something was up, but did not see that coming. 

Warning spoiler...
Spoiler: show
A couple of weeks in I was thinking something like Bourne identity, but after seeing Sugar block the bullet I thought superpowers or maybe nano bots in the blood transfusion. The ending where he is a blue alien really changed the whole storyline.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3292 on: May 08, 2024, 04:26:41 PM »

For me it was when they did a sudden pivot from really entertaining sci fi show to dark gang-rape that I was like "um...what the actual fuck?"

It really was an incredible show and then it just went totally off the rails.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3293 on: May 08, 2024, 07:28:25 PM »

For me it was when they did a sudden pivot from really entertaining sci fi show to dark gang-rape that I was like "um...what the actual fuck?"

It really was an incredible show and then it just went totally off the rails.

Ugh.  I think I had suppressed the trauma of those later episodes pretty well until you brought that back up.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3294 on: May 09, 2024, 04:46:19 PM »

Reading the article where she talks about suing him was surreal. Like holy shit did he ever nail exactly the way she talks about herself, she sounds seriously unhinged.

And she outed herself!

Piers Morgan did an interview with her, dropped on YouTube this afternoon.

I am sure lots of that show was exaggerated for dramatic effect. But she denies ALL OF IT.
She kept up the charade pretty well during the interview but I think she is lying about the big stuff.

That said, he’s no prince and he’s not much of a sympathetic character for me.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3295 on: May 09, 2024, 05:02:25 PM »

And she outed herself!

I am sure lots of that show was exaggerated for dramatic effect. But she denies ALL OF IT.
She kept up the charade pretty well during the interview but I think she is lying about the big stuff.

I didn't really get that he was going for sympathetic though, and that's what I appreciated about the show, he's extremely honest about his experience and role in everything and I found he really humanized her. He said he knew the actress who played her was his choice before he even wrote the show, and she does a phenomenal job of making "Martha" sympathetic despite how horribly she behaved. And his self-portrayal very much shows how he is nowhere near a "perfect victim," which is what society expects of victims, so I really appreciated that.

I don't know if you've taken a look at her FB, it's eerie, the show so clearly captures her. I'm not surprised her other stalking victims have said that the show's portrayal is extremely accurate of what she was like.

Gadd has said clearly that he was trying to capture the emotional experience, not so much the facts of the experience, and it sounds like he did a pretty great job of capturing that.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3296 on: May 09, 2024, 05:23:22 PM »
I think we've got just one episode of Baby Reindeer left but we couldn't face it last night. I can't say it's been enjoyable, the abuse was hard to watch, but I do want to finish it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3297 on: May 09, 2024, 07:36:03 PM »

And she outed herself!

I didn't really get that he was going for sympathetic though, and that's what I appreciated about the show, he's extremely honest about his experience and role in everything and I found he really humanized her. He said he knew the actress who played her was his choice before he even wrote the show, and she does a phenomenal job of making "Martha" sympathetic despite how horribly she behaved. And his self-portrayal very much shows how he is nowhere near a "perfect victim," which is what society expects of victims, so I really appreciated that.

I don't know if you've taken a look at her FB, it's eerie, the show so clearly captures her. I'm not surprised her other stalking victims have said that the show's portrayal is extremely accurate of what she was like.

Gadd has said clearly that he was trying to capture the emotional experience, not so much the facts of the experience, and it sounds like he did a pretty great job of capturing that.

I heard from the YouTube commenters that real life Martha’s Facebook page is full of writings just like her speech patterns in the film.Also, the actress sounds like her.

According to real life Martha, maybe they were taping her at the bar, which is how the actress got her voice inflection and mannerisms so correct ha ha. It’s a little more likely that Gadd has a couple hundred phone messages from her.

I wonder if the Martha character really did spend time in jail? Or maybe that’s dramatic. But in the Piers Morgan interview she spoke of the previous stalking  charge with smoke screen convoluted legal language. The tactic of a liar.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 07:38:57 AM by iris lily »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3298 on: May 10, 2024, 06:38:02 AM »
I heard from the YouTube commoners that real life. Martha Facebook page is full of writings, dislike her. Also, the actress sounds like her.

According to real life Martha, maybe they were taping her at the bar, which is how the actress got her voice inflection and mannerisms so correct ha ha. It’s a little more likely that Gadd has a couple hundred phone messages from her.

I wonder if the Martha character really did spend time in jail? Or maybe that’s dramatic. But in the Piers Morgan interview spoke of the previous stocking charge with smokes screen convoluted legal language. The tactic of a liar.

She was just interviewed by Piers Morgan, and it's weird because he says multiple times that if she had been convicted that there would be a record, but he doesn't confirm or deny if any record actually exists.

Again, Gadd made it clear that the facts of the story aren't necessarily accurate, so her going to jail could be purely to give the story a more cinematic/cathartic ending.

As for the part about the recording in the bar, that's what she said when confronted with the question of "what if Gadd produces recorded phone messages from you?" She's claiming that if he has recordings that they must have been done in the bar.

With respect to the accent and mannerisms, she insists that the accent is way off and that the actress is nothing like her. But it's actually creepy how spot on the portrayal is, only the actress makes her much more likeable. Although people generally aren't super likeable when they're defensive, so it's probable that she was much more sympathetic in those contexts.

It's certainly creating a lot of interesting discourse around what responsibility Gadd even had to protect identities and how obligated he was to be factual and truthful if he was going to make the subject so easily identifiable.

It's quite telling that she's so easily identified while the rapist isn't even though he's part of a very small community. So Gadd took way more precautions to keep him ambiguous than he did her.

She was outed by the "hanging curtains" comment. She made a tweet saying exactly that, and that was so heavily emphasized in the show, so really, he made it incredibly easy to track her down.

Did he owe her ambiguity? Was he legally obligated to hide her? Is there a legal argument that since he didn't hide her identity very well that he's obligated to represent her truthfully?

It's interesting to see exactly where the lines of responsibility and ethics land on this.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3299 on: May 10, 2024, 08:04:49 AM »

My husband and I just rewatched this last year and at first we were like "THIS IS THE BEST! Why have we not revisited this?" And then sometime around the Pegasus denouement and into New Caprica, we were like "Now we remember."

For what it is worth, I think the first episode of the reboot (post miniseries) is one of the best episodes of TV ever :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!