Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 716476 times)

jade

• Pencil Stache
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #3000 on: November 10, 2023, 05:48:52 AM »
Has anyone seen "the book group" series by Annie Griffin? It's on channel 4 in the UK atm. Very surreal but the funniest thing I've seen fit a long time.
It has been a very long time but I remember enjoying it and laughing a lot.

Yes it's brilliant. Apparently she had another series called "coming soon" but unfortunately I can't seem to access it.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3001 on: November 11, 2023, 03:10:46 AM »
Another good (old find) "Pete Vs life" with Ralph spall. On 4 in the UK.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3002 on: November 11, 2023, 12:10:09 PM »
Just finished the third season of 'Upload' on Prime and enjoyed it thoroughly again!  Explores some complicated ethical aspects of technology, how evil can be so much more evil, while also being entertaining, touching, and funny.  Definitely would recommend all 3 seasons.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3003 on: November 11, 2023, 01:51:36 PM »
I've been trying to watch Peaky Blinders.  Normally I don't ever post when I don't love a show, there's too much negativity in the world already.  I'm just shocked at how meh it is when many people (including people who's opinions I respect) really love this show.  In a way Peaky Blinders reminds me of Sons of Anarchy - tries hard and seems to have the trappings of greatness, but not actual greatness itself.

On a more positive note, after I finish Peaky Blinders I'll be moving on to season 2 of Our Flag Means Death.  And season 1 of OFMD was really excellent.  I find that comedy is really difficult to do well and OFMD really nails it.  Highly recommended.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3004 on: November 11, 2023, 02:06:54 PM »
We've been enjoying The Recruit even while *knowing* that it's Not A Good Show but Noah Centineo has nearly enough chemistry to carry it off. [It is 100% the sort of show that Patriot was satirizing}

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3005 on: November 11, 2023, 07:22:03 PM »
I've been watching "I'm a Virgo".  It's a weird show.  Touches on aspects of comedy, economic oppression, black culture, absurdist oddness, superheroes but somehow stay's (only just) on this side of "a little too artsy for me".  At least it's not predictable!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3006 on: November 12, 2023, 05:29:26 PM »
I've been watching The Rockford Files for free on the Roku Channel.
It's my favorite show ever, so I'm happy.

Grew up watching Rockford Files and several others on school vacation trips to stay with my grandparents. Sweet memories of watching late night TV with my grandfather.

Spent a few days on my back watching TV while I recovered from flu+pneumonia this week. Watched streaming TV via our Roku as usual. Then spent a few days watching live cable TV on the hospital TV.

Just don't know how/why anyone chooses to watch Cable TV anymore.
- Slow noninteractive TV schedule spread across two different source channels. Channel 30 shows the low number schedule, channel 50 shows the high channel number schedule.
- Commercials every few minutes and often the same commercials. Do I need to see the same loop of 3-4 commercials 5-6 times per episode?
- So much reality TV on offer.
- Same TV series that have been in syndication my entire TV watching life of 50+ years. There are other good rerun series to play. 
- Holy Batman - so many ads for pills! "If you sneeze when you look at the sun, take this orange pill! Side effects may include..." - or "...if your dog smells like celery, then you may have a condition called... Take this new exciting pill. Talk your doctor today!"

I'd do anything but watch Cable TV.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 05:50:09 PM by Just Joe »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3007 on: November 12, 2023, 06:45:42 PM »
I've been trying to watch Peaky Blinders.  Normally I don't ever post when I don't love a show, there's too much negativity in the world already.  I'm just shocked at how meh it is when many people (including people who's opinions I respect) really love this show.  In a way Peaky Blinders reminds me of Sons of Anarchy - tries hard and seems to have the trappings of greatness, but not actual greatness itself.

On a more positive note, after I finish Peaky Blinders I'll be moving on to season 2 of Our Flag Means Death.  And season 1 of OFMD was really excellent.  I find that comedy is really difficult to do well and OFMD really nails it.  Highly recommended.

That’s an interesting summary of “Sons of Anarchy.” I agree that Sons was second rate. it had preposterous elements and horrific violence, but man, it had something.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #3008 on: November 12, 2023, 11:27:14 PM »

Agree with you 100%. Tried Peaky Blinders a couple times and even finished season 1 but felt no need to continue. Also, the sets in the show looked super fake to me and that always took me out of the suspension of disbelief.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3009 on: November 14, 2023, 05:09:39 AM »

That’s an interesting summary of “Sons of Anarchy.” I agree that Sons was second rate. it had preposterous elements and horrific violence, but man, it had something.

Ugh, I thought SOA was so stupid.

The only thing that redeemed it for me was that I knew that the writer (played the guy who lost his tongue) was trying to show how ridiculous motorcycle clubs are, and he succeeded.

Every episode I was like "this is just fucking ridiculous," how many times can 8-10 guys go on an illegal gun mission, fuck it up, start a gang war, get at least one of their own guys killed, all for a measly 10K that they lose anyway.

I think during the entire show they never actually managed to successfully make any money, and if they did, they clearly spent it all on branded accessories. The only people in the show who made any money were the women who were connected to the MC and eventually the bikers would take over whatever they succeeded at and then blow it up, sometimes literally.

As I said, I appreciated that it showed how fucking ridiculous MCs are. I grew up heavily surrounded by Hell's Angels and saw a lot of nasty, violent shit growing up, so yeah, I appreciate that the writer, an ex-biker wasn't at all trying to glorify biker culture at all.

But still, the show was like watching the ultimate display of ineffectual toxic masculinity except where everyone cries a lot and talks endlessly about their "best friends."

Because of that show DH and I even have a running joke about "alpha males" and toxic masculinity. We pretend to cry and say "he's my BEST FRIEND!" in a deep bro voice.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3010 on: November 14, 2023, 05:24:19 AM »

Agree with you 100%. Tried Peaky Blinders a couple times and even finished season 1 but felt no need to continue. Also, the sets in the show looked super fake to me and that always took me out of the suspension of disbelief.

I found Peaky Blinders quite dull for the first season, but DH liked it. It does creep up on you. It starts out just kind of gratuitous gang violence and conflict, but where it starts to evolve is that the family gets more successful and has to grow and move forward with progress, so they do a few leaps forward in time and it rapidly moves away from them being a street gang and gets more into international trade and politics.as they move from being a gang into being a major mob empire.

I'm not sure what season I went from "yeah, sure, I'll watch it" to "this show is kind of addictive" but it was probably around season 3.

Not saying you should slog it out, it never stops being ridiculous, but you're not so much supposed to believe it as real, it's more like the sets and such reflect Tommy's moods and mental state. The show is really just essentially about Tommy's state of mind as he navigates obtaining and retaining power. It takes a bit for the show to figure out what they have in Cillian Murphy, but the showrunners obviously get it eventually and double down on him as the driving force of the show.

They throw in Tom Hardy here and there and generate entire plots that have been clearly constructed just for the two of them to have vaguely philosophical conversations, which can be very entertaining. But my point is that the show really becomes so much more about how Tommy perceives everything going on around him rather than the plot of what's actually going on.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3011 on: November 14, 2023, 09:17:54 AM »

Ugh, I thought SOA was so stupid.

The only thing that redeemed it for me was that I knew that the writer (played the guy who lost his tongue) was trying to show how ridiculous motorcycle clubs are, and he succeeded.

Every episode I was like "this is just fucking ridiculous," how many times can 8-10 guys go on an illegal gun mission, fuck it up, start a gang war, get at least one of their own guys killed, all for a measly 10K that they lose anyway.

I think during the entire show they never actually managed to successfully make any money, and if they did, they clearly spent it all on branded accessories. The only people in the show who made any money were the women who were connected to the MC and eventually the bikers would take over whatever they succeeded at and then blow it up, sometimes literally.

As I said, I appreciated that it showed how fucking ridiculous MCs are. I grew up heavily surrounded by Hell's Angels and saw a lot of nasty, violent shit growing up, so yeah, I appreciate that the writer, an ex-biker wasn't at all trying to glorify biker culture at all.

But still, the show was like watching the ultimate display of ineffectual toxic masculinity except where everyone cries a lot and talks endlessly about their "best friends."

Because of that show DH and I even have a running joke about "alpha males" and toxic masculinity. We pretend to cry and say "he's my BEST FRIEND!" in a deep bro voice.

I agree with everything you say, but for some reason I was captured by the pretty characters (Jax, Opie) and the not-so-pretty characters (the Scottish guy, Jax’ dad.) I prefer these dirty, greasy, MC guys to the slimy silk-suited mobsters in The Sopranos.

I even liked the “Irish season” about gun running in Ireland, a universally disliked season among SOA fans.

But that said, I didn’t finish SOA, because after Opie died I lost interest and only watched it sporadically. The last scene of the series was powerful, though.The truck driver who took
Jax out was the main actor from The Shield, a tv show in my top 5 dramas. The show runner worked on both shows.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 09:22:23 AM by iris lily »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3012 on: November 16, 2023, 07:31:02 AM »
I agree with everything you say, but for some reason I was captured by the pretty characters (Jax, Opie) and the not-so-pretty characters (the Scottish guy, Jax’ dad.) I prefer these dirty, greasy, MC guys to the slimy silk-suited mobsters in The Sopranos.

I even liked the “Irish season” about gun running in Ireland, a universally disliked season among SOA fans.

But that said, I didn’t finish SOA, because after Opie died I lost interest and only watched it sporadically. The last scene of the series was powerful, though.The truck driver who took
Jax out was the main actor from The Shield, a tv show in my top 5 dramas. The show runner worked on both shows.

I think I've known too many bikers to find them in any way, shape, or form appealing. Also, the branded accessories were so beyond ridiculous, it was like Biker Barbie more than anything.

To be fair though, all of this is intentional. The show is actually brilliant for what it was trying to do. The entire show is meant to mock motorcycle clubs and the absurd, toxic masculinity, violence, and culty elements.

The writer was a member of an MC, and his whole mission with the show was to demonstrate how awful they are. That's why the character he plays has the worst outcomes. He keeps being loyal to the MC and it keeps ruining his life with no real benefit. That's why Opie died the way he does, it's supposed to be stupid. The message is that loyalty to the club will ruin your life.

That's why I persisted in watching it, because I grew up around that life and it absolutely ruined my mother's life when I was a kid even though she wasn't directly involved.

The whole time I was disgusted by all of the plots and recognizing that that was a feature, not a flaw of the writing. But still, it was just so stupid that I was more hate watching than enjoying.

That said, if you like Charlie Hunnam as a thug though, he was great in the movie Green Street Hooligans, all about football club gangs in London.

Basically the exact same pointless gang shit as SOA. It has horrible ratings, but I think that's because it was horribly misunderstood. The same way SOA was generally poorly understood, or Fight Club.

It was basically panned as a shitty British Fight Club knock off, but it's really about working class male tribalism. But the writer has more sentimentality for the culture than the SOA writer did, so while it's skewering the pointless violence, it's also valuing the sense of community as important. So it's an interesting contrast to SOA.

That said, Hunnam's cockney accent is even worse than his American accent, so you just need to roll with that.

Nick_Miller

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A sprawling estate with one of those cool circular driveways in the front!
« Reply #3013 on: November 16, 2023, 07:56:40 AM »
With so much discussion of Peaky Blinders, I thought to myself, "Did I overrate it? Mrs. Miller and I enjoyed it, other than the last season dragged way too much."

But the acting was top notch, outstanding enough to rate it highly even when the plots took forever to go anywhere.

Some of my personal faves over the past few years:

1) Last Kingdom. (damn near perfect from start to finish)
2) The Boys.
3) Ozark.
4) Extraordinary Attorney Woo.
5) GOT (last season notwithstanding, although it almost ruined the whole experience)
6) Peaky Blinders.
7) Crown.
8) Invincible (hope season 2 gets better though)

I really need to binge Better Call Saul.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3014 on: November 16, 2023, 08:04:00 AM »
With so much discussion of Peaky Blinders, I thought to myself, "Did I overrate it? Mrs. Miller and I enjoyed it, other than the last season dragged way too much."

But the acting was top notch, outstanding enough to rate it highly even when the plots took forever to go anywhere.

That's what I had to accept about the show, not to get too invested in the plots because they weren't really the point and didn't generally have meaningful continuity from season to season.

Each season set up a plot for Tommy to experience a particular flavour of stress and malaise.

The plots weren't all that important. How the plots emotionally affected the characters was the point.

Although I absolutely loved that they included a plotline about St. Pierre et Miquelon. Although I think the profound weirdness of that part of the world is lost on most viewers.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3015 on: November 16, 2023, 08:58:09 AM »
Finished 'Rubicon' last night. It was ok but I'm not sure if it ended or they just didn't do a second season.
Up next: 'The Terror'.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3016 on: November 16, 2023, 09:39:58 AM »
DH and I are watching For All Mankind and really enjoying it.

Generally the casting is very, very good. Plus I've been waiting to see Michael Dorman in a major role since Patriot, and he does not disappoint.

For anyone who hasn't heard of it, it's an alternate history where Russia lands the first person on the moon and the domino geopolitical impacts of that. Each season basically jumps forward by a decade and explores the impacts over time.

It's all about engineering nerd culture too, which is fun.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3017 on: November 16, 2023, 10:56:51 AM »

Generally the casting is very, very good. Plus I've been waiting to see Michael Dorman in a major role since Patriot, and he does not disappoint.

For anyone who hasn't heard of it, it's an alternate history where Russia lands the first person on the moon and the domino geopolitical impacts of that. Each season basically jumps forward by a decade and explores the impacts over time.

I think I recommended it 20 or 30 pages back. It’s so good!

I later watched Patriot on your recommendation and kept thinking “Gordo is a mess”

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3018 on: November 16, 2023, 02:06:04 PM »

I think I recommended it 20 or 30 pages back. It’s so good!

I later watched Patriot on your recommendation and kept thinking “Gordo is a mess”

At first Gordo was so normal and I was like "this doesn't seem right" because the actor is so amazing in Patriot and he kind of falls flat as Gordo in normal mode. But right around "Hi Bob" was when I was like "ohhh, that's why they cast him for this role, awesome."

He plays unhinged with a heart of gold really well.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #3019 on: November 16, 2023, 02:18:51 PM »
I'm very late to this, but watched Billions for the first time last night. It must be popular, with seven seasons, so, er, does it get better? The script was very flat, it opened with a S&M scene to maybe hook you in because the rest was quite dull alpha male stuff??

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3020 on: November 16, 2023, 03:07:20 PM »
I'm very late to this, but watched Billions for the first time last night. It must be popular, with seven seasons, so, er, does it get better? The script was very flat, it opened with a S&M scene to maybe hook you in because the rest was quite dull alpha male stuff??

It's A LOT of alpha bullshit nonsense, that's largely the entire point of the show.

You aren't supposed to like the characters though, so all of us who enjoy the show enjoy it because the characters are loathesome aggro finance bros shamelessly obsessed with money, not despite it.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3021 on: November 16, 2023, 08:13:30 PM »

It's A LOT of alpha bullshit nonsense, that's largely the entire point of the show.

You aren't supposed to like the characters though, so all of us who enjoy the show enjoy it because the characters are loathesome aggro finance bros shamelessly obsessed with money, not despite it.

Ah I see. It felt a lot like Suits after they changed writers and it was just aggro. But without Gabriel Macht to look at. No offence to Damian Lewis but I can't stop staring at his bright ginger dyed eyebrows. So distracting. I will give it another go because it's very different to everything else we are on with.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3022 on: November 17, 2023, 05:03:48 AM »

Ah I see. It felt a lot like Suits after they changed writers and it was just aggro. But without Gabriel Macht to look at. No offence to Damian Lewis but I can't stop staring at his bright ginger dyed eyebrows. So distracting. I will give it another go because it's very different to everything else we are on with.

I'm pretty sure it's bad microblading, which was extremely trendy at the time and red had a particularly bad reputation of coming out poorly, but early adopters didn't know that.

It is similar, but very different from Suits. The Suits characters are fundamentally supposed to be the good guys. The Billions folks are intrinsically corrupted by money and power. In fact, I would say that the entire show is an essay on the corrupting nature of money and power. And the main, repeated conflict is the ongoing clash of Titans between those with financial power and those with political power, even though both are equally corrupted.

Unlike Suits, there are no good guys and bad guys. There are greedy, power hungry folks serving their own agendas, constantly getting in each other's way.

With shows like that you can either cynically enjoy them, or have a reaction like I did about SOA where you get and appreciate the messaging, but just can't stand the characters and ridiculous plots and never get to a place of enjoying the watching process.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3023 on: November 17, 2023, 12:08:42 PM »
Yeah, I would happily wander off in the middle of episodes of Billions after sledging it for a while. I’m not saying I’ve infected Ofpym but he’s way better at spotting toxic masculinity, poor plotting and characterisation than he used to be. (This is what happens when you marry a feminist with a degree in media studies, so really that’s on him)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3024 on: November 17, 2023, 05:51:53 PM »
Yeah, I would happily wander off in the middle of episodes of Billions after sledging it for a while. I’m not saying I’ve infected Ofpym but he’s way better at spotting toxic masculinity, poor plotting and characterisation than he used to be. (This is what happens when you marry a feminist with a degree in media studies, so really that’s on him)

Lol, yep, I live with one of those, mine did his master's on the history of the birth control pill. He generally gets easily bored with aggro male shows if there aren't enough strong female characters.

That's why he likes For All Mankind so much, but he is pretty incensed about so many of his favorites being killed off.

Billions is all about power, so it's all about the patriarchy. That's very much the point of the show, but in the same way that Fight Club is, and like Fight Club, a lot of the audience will miss the criticism and think it's about epic fighting between strong men.

But the show is a scathing indictment of the corrupting nature of money and power, not a celebration of toxic masculinity like Suits unfortunately devolves into. The aggro finance bros are absolutely NOT the good guys, and neither are the government officials in conflict with them.

Note, the show does bring in some better female characters as well as a very strong non-binary character, and virtually all of the aggro bros go through periods of critical self reflection and crippling self doubt at one point or another.

There is a lot more depth than the first impression would provide. It's more like they're setting the stage of what people are supposed to be impressed by before poking at its festering wounds.

That doesn't mean you will enjoy it. It is mostly total assholes being total assholes. If you can't find that entertaining, like how I can't find dumb bikers being dumb entertaining, then it doesn't matter what the message is, you will be annoyed.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3025 on: November 17, 2023, 06:35:11 PM »
TBC. *I* am the feminist with the degree in media studies in this relationship 🙋‍♀️

I got what they were doing with Billions and agree with your analysis, I just didn’t have the time for it. Succession on the other hand…

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3026 on: November 17, 2023, 06:44:37 PM »
If I hadn't seen Succession, maybe I'd like Billions more.

I'm confused by the 'they are all bad guys' take because the first episode was wholly setting up Axe as a good guy. Like, he gave $100m to the firies, he puts kids that lost parents in 9/11 through college, he misses his dead colleagues, he's just a rough kid from Yonkers that has made it, no silver spoon. I may have missed it but there was no indication of fraud yet, just someone who knows what's going on and is 'winning' because of that. My mind did drift in the finance talk scenes tho.

And then the Attorney General only plays when he can win, which seems like a prudent use of public money to me. At the end that we find out that his fetish is played out with his wife, nothing dodgy there. They did reference that he wants to be Mayor or something like that, so yep he's power hungry, and that can never be good.

Anyway, I will give it another bash. I didn't like Succession first episode.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3027 on: November 17, 2023, 06:51:23 PM »
TBC. *I* am the feminist with the degree in media studies in this relationship 🙋‍♀️

I got what they were doing with Billions and agree with your analysis, I just didn’t have the time for it. Succession on the other hand…

Lol, oops, I somehow totally missed who was who in the point about marrying a feminist. Poor reading comprehension.

It's funny how some shows about assholes being assholes are fun for some people and miserable for others.

Succession is so brilliant because it simultaneously Lampoon's it's characters while displaying their horribleness in total earnestness. It allows them to lampoon themselves with how absurd they are, which is REALLY hard to pull off, but incandescently brilliant when it's done well.

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #3028 on: November 19, 2023, 02:29:24 AM »
Recently watched "Justified: City Primeval" and then started rewatching the original series. So, so good. And such memorable characters. Boyd. Mags Bennett. Loretta. Art.

Still surprised I like it. It was one of those random conversations with a friend who highly recommended it so I gave it a chance. Otherwise I don't think I would have even given it a passing glance.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3029 on: November 19, 2023, 03:34:36 AM »
We are watching the Fall of the House of Usher. It's really moreish but at the same time I think I'll have nightmares tonight! I hate anything with supernatural tones, but this has all the other elements I do like in a tv series: murder mystery, bad people of the opioid epidemic, dsyfunctional rich family.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3030 on: November 19, 2023, 06:11:47 AM »
"Captain Laserhawk - A Blood Dragon Remix" on Netflix.  It's co-written / inspired by Ubisoft, so it's not going to be highbrow, but hits all the dystopian buttons for me.  The newscaster is replaced by an AI version of himself, prisoners placed in VR-forced labor, the evil country rebranding itself as 'Eden'...  You don't have to be familiar with any of the games or characters to enjoy it, but you've got to like the genre.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3031 on: November 19, 2023, 10:42:56 AM »
Don't remember if I posted it here but I'm watching my way through "My Brilliant Friend".

Really like the story. Got a little too invested in the characters so when they started making bad choices I had to take a break. ;)

I'll get back to it soon when I have more time.

Also watching Game of Thrones for the first time. Part way through the first season. Finally connecting with the characters a little - the key to maintaining my interest in a series. Not sure I'll be able to watch this one quickly b/c it is so violent. Maybe one or two episodes a week rather than a faster pace.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3032 on: November 19, 2023, 11:11:17 AM »
I've just finished the series"drop dead gorgeous" from 2006 on iPlayer in the UK. About a 15 year old who is spotted to be a model and the ripple effects on her and her family. Hilarious (tho some of the jokes haven't aged that well!).

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3033 on: November 20, 2023, 07:35:54 AM »
Recently watched "Justified: City Primeval" and then started rewatching the original series. So, so good. And such memorable characters. Boyd. Mags Bennett. Loretta. Art.

Agree.  I had watched the original series which is set in Kentucky and I was skeptical about the new series being set in Detroit but it absolutely worked.  Timothy Olyphant as Raylen Givens is a classic.  Can't wait for season 2.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3034 on: November 20, 2023, 07:59:20 AM »
We started Escaping Twin Flames on Netflix. I continue to be stunned by the amount of otherwise intelligent, capable people that will listen to some crazy person on the internet tell them what they should be doing with their lives and sending all their money. It's an interesting look into a cult of sorts where it seems the main perpetrator is just a guy obsessed with making money by taking advantage of people who then morphs into something else altogether. Two episodes down and one more to go

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3035 on: November 21, 2023, 07:14:42 AM »
We started Escaping Twin Flames on Netflix. I continue to be stunned by the amount of otherwise intelligent, capable people that will listen to some crazy person on the internet tell them what they should be doing with their lives and sending all their money. It's an interesting look into a cult of sorts where it seems the main perpetrator is just a guy obsessed with making money by taking advantage of people who then morphs into something else altogether. Two episodes down and one more to go

There's a second documentary about it, which covers a lot of the same stuff, but with a few different characters.

People really do generally struggle with being fully autonomous and are constantly looking for someone "in charge" who knows what the fuck is going on and what the hell to do.

The church occupies this role for a lot of people giving them an authority and social construct to guide their behavior and.decision making, which can be comforting even when it's oppressive.

A lot of people have moved past their parent's' version of church and are increasingly seeking more eclectic versions of the exact same thing.

Also, these days with influencer culture, being sucked into a culty community where the brand and the personality are synonymous had groomed an entire generation to accept that kind of worship community. The Netflix series, I believe, makes a comment about how online cults exploded during the pandemic.

Really, with a world filled with lonely, insecure folks plagued with self-doubt and imposter syndrome, it doesn't take a lot for a confident, charismatic person to gain control over people if they can demonstrate even mild evidence of a justification for their confidence and authority. Pair this with the systematic dismantling of faith in our existing governing systems and you have an army of people desperate for authority.

From there, it's a basic playbook of how to push people incrementally into behaviours that are increasingly insane. And that playbook doesn't reality need to be learned, it's innate to a certain kind of highly charismatic, highly persuasive person.

Some people who have these naturally persuasive personalities are ethical and feel enormous responsibility to be careful with what they advise people because they'll fucking do it, and that's a lot of responsibility and can have seriously stressful consequences. This kind of person doesn't assume that because people do what they say that what they say is the correct thing to do.

Others don't feel weighted down and instead seek conventional forms of power through running businesses or running for office, etc, and they often believe that they know best for the world, and the fact that people listen to them is interpreted as evidence that they do, in fact, know best.

Then there are folks who have no ethical concerns at all about controlling people and just try to max it out as much as possible until they either create a massive worldwide cult like Scientology, or commit enough crimes sloppily enough that they get sent to prison like Keith Reniere.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #3036 on: November 21, 2023, 08:47:50 AM »

Agree.  I had watched the original series which is set in Kentucky and I was skeptical about the new series being set in Detroit but it absolutely worked.  Timothy Olyphant as Raylen Givens is a classic.  Can't wait for season 2.

Yes, it really shouldn't be as good as it is.  The acting is nothing special, the storylines are pretty standard, and dialogue gets dangerously close to cheesy on a regular basis.  But somehow it is totally watchable (Same could be said for Bosch Legacy, also worth checking out ).

Hoping for a Boyd return!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3037 on: November 21, 2023, 09:31:28 AM »

Yes, it really shouldn't be as good as it is.  The acting is nothing special, the storylines are pretty standard, and dialogue gets dangerously close to cheesy on a regular basis.  But somehow it is totally watchable (Same could be said for Bosch Legacy, also worth checking out ).

Hoping for a Boyd return!

Somehow it he is totally watchable.”

Fixed it for you.

Timmy Olyphant is not my type at all—too pretty, too tall. But I will make an exception for him.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3038 on: November 21, 2023, 09:36:12 AM »

“Shit show at the fuck factory” is probably my favorite phrase from tv of all times. It so perfectly captures the essence of a workplace.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3039 on: November 21, 2023, 09:44:07 AM »
there is a documentary about the Twin Flames couple on Prime as well. I watched that one first.

Then I dipped into the Twin Flames sub Reddits. The one I’ve been reading disavows Shalaia and whats his name, but they are gung ho about the whole Twin Flames philosophy. Apparently there are “chasers” and “runners” and even when the “runners” take legal actions like an order of protection to stay away, that may may not deter the chaser..

Oy.

I found it most interesting that the Twin Flames leaders are turning trans ideology into their world to make it work for them. Since most of their followers are female, they want to play matchmaker, and they can’t do that with such a high percentage of female followers, so they have to turn some into males  since they seem to be very Patriarchal in their view of male and female. So what else is new. That’s what these cults all come down to, very male dominated worlds and subjugation of women.

Watch for what’s his name to declare polygamy is completely acceptable in the Twin Flames  world, you could have multiple  Flames. And he’ll be the first to demonstrate that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 09:48:59 AM by iris lily »

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3040 on: November 21, 2023, 10:16:11 AM »
We just finished an Aussie series called "scrublands" on BBC iPlayer. V good thriller.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3041 on: November 21, 2023, 10:34:11 AM »

There's a second documentary about it, which covers a lot of the same stuff, but with a few different characters.

People really do generally struggle with being fully autonomous and are constantly looking for someone "in charge" who knows what the fuck is going on and what the hell to do.

The church occupies this role for a lot of people giving them an authority and social construct to guide their behavior and.decision making, which can be comforting even when it's oppressive.

A lot of people have moved past their parent's' version of church and are increasingly seeking more eclectic versions of the exact same thing.

Also, these days with influencer culture, being sucked into a culty community where the brand and the personality are synonymous had groomed an entire generation to accept that kind of worship community. The Netflix series, I believe, makes a comment about how online cults exploded during the pandemic.

Really, with a world filled with lonely, insecure folks plagued with self-doubt and imposter syndrome, it doesn't take a lot for a confident, charismatic person to gain control over people if they can demonstrate even mild evidence of a justification for their confidence and authority. Pair this with the systematic dismantling of faith in our existing governing systems and you have an army of people desperate for authority.

From there, it's a basic playbook of how to push people incrementally into behaviours that are increasingly insane. And that playbook doesn't reality need to be learned, it's innate to a certain kind of highly charismatic, highly persuasive person.

Some people who have these naturally persuasive personalities are ethical and feel enormous responsibility to be careful with what they advise people because they'll fucking do it, and that's a lot of responsibility and can have seriously stressful consequences. This kind of person doesn't assume that because people do what they say that what they say is the correct thing to do.

Others don't feel weighted down and instead seek conventional forms of power through running businesses or running for office, etc, and they often believe that they know best for the world, and the fact that people listen to them is interpreted as evidence that they do, in fact, know best.

Then there are folks who have no ethical concerns at all about controlling people and just try to max it out as much as possible until they either create a massive worldwide cult like Scientology, or commit enough crimes sloppily enough that they get sent to prison like Keith Reniere.
Lol, I don't know about the persuasive part but you're a great thinker and seem charismatic AF.  If there was a cult where you met quarterly or something on a camping trip or just a big night out on the patio around the fire - I'd join your cult just to hear you freestyle on contemporary society for a few hours into the wee morning while looking at the stars and contemplating.

Good stuff!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3042 on: November 21, 2023, 01:25:52 PM »

Lol, I don't know about the persuasive part but you're a great thinker and seem charismatic AF.  If there was a cult where you met quarterly or something on a camping trip or just a big night out on the patio around the fire - I'd join your cult just to hear you freestyle on contemporary society for a few hours into the wee morning while looking at the stars and contemplating.

Good stuff!

Lol, oh for sure, I come from a wildly charismatic family on both sides. It's been a running joke my whole life that my mom should be a cult leader because people aren't so much her friends as her devotees. But the more people listen to you, the more responsible you are for them, and that's a lot of pressure, and can be a total nightmare.

But for sure, shooting the shit while looking at the stars sounds great. Come join my cult, it requires you to schlep all the way out to rural Newfoundland, but the view is worth it ;)

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3043 on: November 22, 2023, 11:14:17 AM »
Finished 'The Terror' last night on AMC+. Not bad although I can imagine the book being even better. It's based on a true story about looking the Northwest Passage however there are supernatural elements layered on top of the story.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3044 on: November 29, 2023, 10:17:53 AM »
Finished 'The Terror' last night on AMC+. Not bad although I can imagine the book being even better. It's based on a true story about looking the Northwest Passage however there are supernatural elements layered on top of the story.

The book is excellent!  You should definitely read it :)  The book is only the first season of The Terror show - I haven't watched the second season and I'm not sure what the source material is.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3045 on: November 29, 2023, 10:48:33 AM »
I'm currently a few episodes into Scavengers Reign, and kinda like it.  Some really cool sci-fi animal and animal behaviour design that feels pretty alien.  If you're into not for kids cartoons (that also aren't anime), you might want to check it out.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #3046 on: November 29, 2023, 11:38:46 AM »
I'm currently a few episodes into Scavengers Reign, and kinda like it.  Some really cool sci-fi animal and animal behaviour design that feels pretty alien.  If you're into not for kids cartoons (that also aren't anime), you might want to check it out.

I also stumbled on to Scavengers Reign on Max and was entranced by it…. Not sure how or why it was green lit, but glad unique stuff like this is being found and appreciated!

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3047 on: November 29, 2023, 11:50:16 AM »

The book is excellent!  You should definitely read it :)  The book is only the first season of The Terror show - I haven't watched the second season and I'm not sure what the source material is.

I can't imagine why they would make a second season. Money I guess.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3048 on: November 29, 2023, 11:51:48 AM »
Just finished season 1 of 'The Bear'. Intense. Especially the second to last episode. Great soundtrack also.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3049 on: November 29, 2023, 12:00:12 PM »
Started watching Good Omens 2. Really good. Enjoying more Jon Hamm. Final verdict comparing to season 1 will be later. But I like that it is based on plot points discussed between Gaiman and Pratchett, and not totally based on a finished product, and that the writers have filled in-between, more open to ideas and plot developments.

Just finished Good Omens 2! Great sequel, although I should have turned on closed captioning. Some of the actors' British accents are so thick, I simply couldn't understand what they were saying.

We just started Good Omens 2 (on Prime) and really enjoy it.  Somehow we were out of the loop and had no idea there was a sequel until a rewatching of the first series finale ran over into the new season.