Author Topic: What TV series do you like?  (Read 716545 times)

chevy1956

• Bristles
Re: What TV series do you like?
« Reply #2600 on: February 08, 2023, 03:26:28 PM »
I went on to watch Justified,  another great television series.

It's fantastic as well.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2601 on: February 09, 2023, 06:34:10 AM »

It's fantastic as well.

I see a sequel is on the way, hard to see it working without Boyd and Ava.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2602 on: February 09, 2023, 11:03:09 AM »

It's fantastic as well.

I see a sequel is on the way, hard to see it working without Boyd and Ava.
If Boyd isnt in it, not worth it, agreed.

Walton Goggins was amazing in Justfied and also in The Shield.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2603 on: February 09, 2023, 01:37:39 PM »
Loved Justified...Olyphant and Goggins were really good

I understand the new show is supposed to be set several years after the finish of the original series...and it takes place in Miami I think I read

TempusFugit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2604 on: February 09, 2023, 07:21:01 PM »
I just finished watching the first three seasons of Fargo (that anthology not the movie).   Really fantastic stories and acting.   I saw the first season when it first aired about 8-10 years ago I guess and it was very good then but I never watched the next three seasons.   Definitely worth a watch if you like Cohen brothers style.  Violent and a bit weird.

Also just going through Better Call Saul.   Loved Breaking Bad, sO I knew that this would be great also, and it sure is. 

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #2605 on: February 09, 2023, 08:19:44 PM »
I just finished watching the first three seasons of Fargo (that anthology not the movie).   Really fantastic stories and acting.   I saw the first season when it first aired about 8-10 years ago I guess and it was very good then but I never watched the next three seasons.   Definitely worth a watch if you like Cohen brothers style.  Violent and a bit weird.

Also just going through Better Call Saul.   Loved Breaking Bad, sO I knew that this would be great also, and it sure is.

These are all good as well. So much great TV out there.

We are finishing the final episode of Tulsa King probably tonight with Sylvester Stallone. It's actually pretty good. It's not as good as the shows you mention but it's pretty good.

Started watching Happy Valley season 3. This is a good show. We are also watching Vox Machina season 2. I think this will be good as well but I've only watched one episode so I don't want to praise it too early.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2606 on: February 10, 2023, 11:48:29 AM »

Season 3 of Fargo was a noble effort but it fell flat for me.

I especially liked the 2nd season, wasn’t that the
Jewish mafia from the Twin .cities storyline? It Kills. I was so happy to see Jean Smart in a juicy dramatic role.

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2607 on: February 10, 2023, 03:37:05 PM »

Jewish mafia from the Twin .cities storyline? It Kills. I was so happy to see Jean Smart in a juicy dramatic role.

Same, I couldn't bring myself to finish Fargo S3 after the masterpiece that was S2. Fargo S2 was truly epic and one of the best standalone seasons of TV ever!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2608 on: February 10, 2023, 03:45:32 PM »

Same, I couldn't bring myself to finish Fargo S3 after the masterpiece that was S2. Fargo S2 was truly epic and one of the best standalone seasons of TV ever!

I couldn't make it through season 3 either. It's not that it was bad. I just kept not going back to it and then just never went back to finish it.

SaucyAussie

• Bristles
« Reply #2609 on: February 11, 2023, 05:15:03 AM »

For me, S1 was the best with S2 not far behind.  I did manage to get thru S3.  S4 on the other hand was a disaster and I could only manage a couple of episodes.

Seems there a bunch of shows that can manage 2 or 3 good seasons, but very few can push out 5 or 6 really good seasons.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2610 on: February 13, 2023, 09:14:39 AM »
Wife and I watched Season 1 of The Sinner yesterday...really enjoyed it

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2611 on: February 13, 2023, 11:44:19 AM »
Shrinking on Apple has been fun after the first 3 episodes. Harrison Ford's role is pretty good (and incongruent for him in his career). Jason Segal does a solid job here.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2612 on: February 14, 2023, 01:20:58 AM »
Wife and I watched Season 1 of The Sinner yesterday...really enjoyed it

I enjoyed this too (and S2). A bit different.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2613 on: February 14, 2023, 01:30:08 AM »
The sheer relief that both Happy Valley and Patriot stuck the landing.

We're now watching The Last of Us with our youngest teen. It's a rewatch for the released ops for us but it stands up to it.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2614 on: February 14, 2023, 01:39:18 AM »
Happy Valley isn't available to buy yet, gah!

I also recommend Sinner. It's been a while since I watched it but was hooked at the time.

I'm busy with Ginny & Georgia Series 2(?) for light entertainment. They throw in a few serious themes but it stays easy watching and the story has hooked me.

Loving Ted Lasso as a palate cleanser after watching Blackbird. Not really enjoying Blackbird, I haven't felt hooked in to the story at all and I'm 4 episodes in! I know there was discussion about it earlier.

midweststache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2615 on: February 14, 2023, 10:44:07 AM »
Just finished 'Our Flag Means Death' which had been on my to-watch list but got kicked to the top of the queue based on this thread's recs.

AH-MAZ-ING.

Then I went down the "Stede-Bonnet-was-a-real-person-who-knew-Blackbird" and anxiously looked up the S2 release date.

We'd been watching "Slow Horses" on Apple TV but then our free subscription ran out on us. If anyone has AppleTV, the first few episodes were great.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2616 on: February 14, 2023, 01:05:41 PM »
I’m watching Tehran on Apple TV about an Israeli spy who gets stranded in Tehran after a botched spy gig. I like it because a spy is a woman. I don’t know if I’ll stick with it because it’s very scary, but I think it’s interesting and is certainly dramatically compelling.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2617 on: February 14, 2023, 06:16:00 PM »
I’m watching Tehran on Apple TV about an Israeli spy who gets stranded in Tehran after a botched spy gig. I like it because a spy is a woman. I don’t know if I’ll stick with it because it’s very scary, but I think it’s interesting and is certainly dramatically compelling.

Oh. I really want to watch that one.

We're watching Slow Horses right now, which DH really likes and I think is okay, but we've just started .Tehran is up next.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2618 on: February 14, 2023, 06:18:34 PM »
Just finished 'Our Flag Means Death' which had been on my to-watch list but got kicked to the top of the queue based on this thread's recs.

AH-MAZ-ING.

Then I went down the "Stede-Bonnet-was-a-real-person-who-knew-Blackbird" and anxiously looked up the S2 release date.

We'd been watching "Slow Horses" on Apple TV but then our free subscription ran out on us. If anyone has AppleTV, the first few episodes were great.

I've tried so hard to like "Our Flag Means Death" because of this thread, but it just doesn't work for me.

I love some silly humour, Letterkenny is one of my most beloved shows of all time, but somehow this show just falls completely flat for me. I got through multiple episodes without so much as a smirk or a snicker of laughter. It was like watching a comedy whole taking lithium. Like, I get the jokes, they just don't evoke any mirth.

I feel like I'm somehow broken as a person as a result. I don't get it.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2619 on: February 14, 2023, 06:24:18 PM »
@Metalcat you need to be prepared for the spy in Tehran to not be very competent. There were multiple moments when both Ofpym and I went “oh, come ON!” at each other.

A sleeper show we both enjoyed - the version of The Little Drummer Girl starring Florence Pugh.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2620 on: February 14, 2023, 06:32:02 PM »
@Metalcat you need to be prepared for the spy in Tehran to not be very competent. There were multiple moments when both Ofpym and I went “oh, come ON!” at each other.

A sleeper show we both enjoyed - the version of The Little Drummer Girl starring Florence Pugh.

Oooh...an incompetent spy?? Not sure I can tolerate that very well.

Love Florence Pugh though! I'll check that out.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2621 on: February 14, 2023, 07:59:42 PM »

Oooh...an incompetent spy?? Not sure I can tolerate that very well.

Love Florence Pugh though! I'll check that out.

To be fair, I very much enjoyed that the spies in Tehran spoke Hebrew and Persian, and the portrayal of Iran seemed more nuanced than normal.

The Little Drummer Girl is a bit slow to start off but builds.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2622 on: February 14, 2023, 09:38:09 PM »
Kinda enjoying 'You' on Netflix.  I dated a pathological liar in college, bringing back some memories...

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2623 on: February 15, 2023, 05:15:12 AM »
We just discovered 'welcome to Sweden' on Roku. V funny about an American moving your Sweden for his Swedish girlfriend.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2624 on: February 15, 2023, 05:16:46 AM »

AH-MAZ-ING.

OFMD is the best, isn't it!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2625 on: February 15, 2023, 07:43:03 AM »
We just discovered 'welcome to Sweden' on Roku. V funny about an American moving your Sweden for his Swedish girlfriend.

I started watching this on Netflix but there were no subtitles. At first I was like "oh, this is a stylistic choice to make the viewer feel all fish out of water." But then when there were long, unsubtitled scenes that were obviously supposed to be funny, I figured the subtitles might just be missing and stopped watching.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2626 on: February 15, 2023, 08:29:52 AM »

I started watching this on Netflix but there were no subtitles. At first I was like "oh, this is a stylistic choice to make the viewer feel all fish out of water." But then when there were long, unsubtitled scenes that were obviously supposed to be funny, I figured the subtitles might just be missing and stopped watching.

Ah, that's a shame.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2627 on: February 15, 2023, 08:41:36 AM »

Ah, that's a shame.

Yeah, I was very disappointed. I'm from a Scandinavian family, but raised in Canada, so I was really looking forward to the humour of this show.

I absolutely LOVE fish out of water stories set in Nordic countries. The first season of Lilyhammer had me pissing myself laughing so many times. I've checked a few times to see if they've added the subtitles, but no luck.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2628 on: February 15, 2023, 08:45:22 AM »

Ah, that's a shame.

Yeah, I was very disappointed. I'm from a Scandinavian family, but raised in Canada, so I was really looking forward to the humour of this show.

I absolutely LOVE fish out of water stories set in Nordic countries. The first season of Lilyhammer had me pissing myself laughing so many times. I've checked a few times to see if they've added the subtitles, but no luck.

I think you'll really like it then. There's a few Canadian references too. Fingers crossed you'll get the subtitles one day. I haven't seen Lilyhammer, I'll look for that.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2629 on: February 15, 2023, 09:39:30 AM »

Ah, that's a shame.

I think you'll really like it then. There's a few Canadian references too. Fingers crossed you'll get the subtitles one day. I haven't seen Lilyhammer, I'll look for that.

Lilyhammer is batshit crazy, and it goes from being a quirky show to a heinously violent show. It's one of Netflix's first original series and it was definitely an experiment.

But I read recently that Netflix was getting rid of it, so you may not be able to find it.

The premise is that Steve van Zandt is a mafia informant in witness protection in Norway, which he picks kind of randomly because of the Olympics.

Hilarity ensues, and of course, there's A LOT of great music.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2630 on: February 15, 2023, 09:52:04 AM »

Ah, that's a shame.

Lilyhammer is batshit crazy, and it goes from being a quirky show to a heinously violent show. It's one of Netflix's first original series and it was definitely an experiment.

But I read recently that Netflix was getting rid of it, so you may not be able to find it.

The premise is that Steve van Zandt is a mafia informant in witness protection in Norway, which he picks kind of randomly because of the Olympics.

Hilarity ensues, and of course, there's A LOT of great music.

Ha! Sounds good. We haven't got Netflix but if we do in the future well I'll make sure to watch it.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2631 on: February 15, 2023, 09:58:52 AM »
Ha! Sounds good. We haven't got Netflix but if we do in the future well I'll make sure to watch it.

It might already be gone. I read awhile ago about it being the first Netflix original that Netflix was cutting, and it was a big deal since they evidently said they wouldn't cut original Netflix content.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2632 on: February 15, 2023, 10:01:50 AM »

It might already be gone. I read awhile ago about it being the first Netflix original that Netflix was cutting, and it was a big deal since they evidently said they wouldn't cut original Netflix content.

Ah ok. :-/

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2633 on: February 15, 2023, 10:29:38 AM »

I just checked and it's still there.  And Malcat is right 'batshit crazy' is a good description for this show. 

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2634 on: February 15, 2023, 10:41:24 AM »

I just checked and it's still there.  And Malcat is right 'batshit crazy' is a good description for this show.

Thanks Tyson! That's a good recommendation! ;-)

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2635 on: February 15, 2023, 12:43:59 PM »
I watched the first ep of Welcome to Sweden via the Roku channel/app and it had subtitles for the Swedish-speaking parts.  It does seem the version Netflix had was the same as the version Amazon Prime had and those did not have English subtitles.  Thanks for the rec!

Also, I've enjoyed Andor so far - more so than any of the other recent live-action SW series even though I've found them all at least okay.  Am 10 eps in with 2 to go. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2636 on: February 15, 2023, 12:47:21 PM »
I watched the first ep of Welcome to Sweden via the Roku channel/app and it had subtitles for the Swedish-speaking parts.  It does seem the version Netflix had was the same as the version Amazon Prime had and those did not have English subtitles.  Thanks for the rec!

Also, I've enjoyed Andor so far - more so than any of the other recent live-action SW series even though I've found them all at least okay.  Am 10 eps in with 2 to go.

It's so weird that the subtitles are missing. And even when I put on cc subtitles, the Swedish part is just blank.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2637 on: February 16, 2023, 11:42:38 AM »
In addition to Tehran, I am also watching Srugim. I am enjoying Israeli shows after the wonderful Shitsel.

Srugim is about a group of 30 something Jewish people and their challenges in religious pulls, finding a mate, friendships.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2638 on: February 16, 2023, 11:46:16 AM »
In addition to Tehran, I am also watching Srugim. I am enjoying Israeli shows after the wonderful Shitsel.

Srugim is about a group of 30 something Jewish people and their challenges in religious pulls, finding a mate, friendships.

Ooh, sounds good.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2639 on: February 17, 2023, 01:07:49 AM »

Glad you're enjoying it too! We've just started series 2.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2640 on: February 17, 2023, 08:18:02 AM »
I take back what I said about Slow Horses, it's a lot better than I originally thought it was.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2641 on: February 17, 2023, 10:21:12 AM »
I take back what I said about Slow Horses, it's a lot better than I originally thought it was.

I liked Slow Horses quite a bit.  Patriot is turning out to be an awesome show too . . .

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2642 on: February 17, 2023, 11:11:17 AM »

I liked Slow Horses quite a bit.  Patriot is turning out to be an awesome show too . . .

I loved the first few novels of the Slow Horses series, so I am really looking to seeing this show eventually.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2643 on: February 17, 2023, 12:07:31 PM »

Patriot is a level of genius that's hard to even describe

chevy1956

• Bristles
« Reply #2644 on: February 17, 2023, 02:18:36 PM »

I loved the first few novels of the Slow Horses series, so I am really looking to seeing this show eventually.

I've read the books as well. They are both really good.

I'm watching Pachinko now. It's really good.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #2645 on: February 17, 2023, 04:18:08 PM »
Our tv died!

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2646 on: February 17, 2023, 06:20:08 PM »
Our tv died!

Yikes!! That's an emergency situation you have there. Hope you get it fixed or replaced soon.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #2647 on: February 19, 2023, 01:02:46 PM »
Binge watched 'The Patient' on Hulu.  Not for everyone, but I thought it was fantastic.  Definitely lends itself to good open-ended discussions, which is a big plus for me.  I know that the idea for it isn't new or groundbreaking, and having Steve Carell in a dramatic role throws people off, so there are plenty of complaints people can have, but for the right person (like me), this was an unexpected gem!

I've watched 8 of the 10 episodes and can't wait to finish it.  Surprised I never heard more people talking about it!

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #2648 on: February 19, 2023, 01:14:38 PM »
Binge watched 'The Patient' on Hulu.  Not for everyone, but I thought it was fantastic.  Definitely lends itself to good open-ended discussions, which is a big plus for me.  I know that the idea for it isn't new or groundbreaking, and having Steve Carell in a dramatic role throws people off, so there are plenty of complaints people can have, but for the right person (like me), this was an unexpected gem!

I've watched 8 of the 10 episodes and can't wait to finish it.  Surprised I never heard more people talking about it!

The two of us will do our best to get the word out :)  Like I said back then, very binge prone once you get started!

evme

• Bristles
« Reply #2649 on: February 19, 2023, 03:42:31 PM »

It's an outstanding show but, yeah, not for everyone. It was created and written by Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields, the two guys who created and wrote "The Americans", so that had me looking forward to it highly. What a wild ending too!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!