Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 501170 times)

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #450 on: May 15, 2019, 10:27:46 AM »
Watched the Dirt on netflix, the Movie based on the biography of Motley Crue's rise to stardom in the 80 rock scene. It is everything you would expect from a movie about an 80s rock group. I found it quite fun, although parents of littles be warned that
Spoiler: show
Vince Niel had a 4 year old daughter die of cancer and the scenes are brutal

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #451 on: May 15, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »
Last night I watched Wine Country, Amy Poehler's new Netflix movie.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, although my husband asked me to turn it down about halfway into it. 

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #452 on: May 15, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »
Sometime in the next few months I will be watching the Star Wars in viewing order.  After all when I was watching the Avengers they showed a preview to episode 9 (IX) will be hitting theaters in Dec.

Debating on the order of things.  1-3 first or 4-6 first...  Tricky

4,5, then 6
1, 2, then 3
Solo – A Star Wars Story
Rogue 1 – A Star Wars Story
7, 8…  Then await the last of the trilogy to hit theaters?

Life is so tough.  I plan to drag someone along on my adventure

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #453 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »
I watched Death in Venice last night.  It was my first "post 250" movie.  Ie, I finished watching all 250 movies on BFI's top movies of all time last week and now I'm sort of at a bit of a loss on where to go next. 

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #454 on: May 15, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »
Sometime in the next few months I will be watching the Star Wars in viewing order.  After all when I was watching the Avengers they showed a preview to episode 9 (IX) will be hitting theaters in Dec.

Debating on the order of things.  1-3 first or 4-6 first...  Tricky

4,5, then 6
1, 2, then 3
Solo – A Star Wars Story
Rogue 1 – A Star Wars Story
7, 8…  Then await the last of the trilogy to hit theaters?

Life is so tough.  I plan to drag someone along on my adventure

Here are my thoughts
1. Watch Rogue 1
2. Watch 4-8
3. Skip Solo
4. Take 1-3, take them to a field and go all office space on them.

Problem Solved

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »
I watched Death in Venice last night.  It was my first "post 250" movie.  Ie, I finished watching all 250 movies on BFI's top movies of all time last week and now I'm sort of at a bit of a loss on where to go next.
Yikes, that's quite a commitment. I looked over the list (I assume this is the right list?). Some things I noticed that weren't on that list that I would bother mentioning:

Rosetta (Robert Ebert compared this film to Mouchette, which is on the top 250 list, but I didn't terribly care for that one. Rosetta would definitely be in my top 5 if I believed in movie lists!)

The Seventh Continent (Michael Haneke. TSC is very depressing but it appears you would have already seen uplifting gems such as Salò given it's number 202 on the list...)

Fitzcarraldo (Herzog; I liked this one better than Aguirre--a good companion to this film is My Best Fiend -- Klaus Kinski which has some nearly unbelievable stories on Kinski during the filming of Fitzcarraldo)

Ghost World (Steve Buscemi's best performance? The best comic book film adaptation?)

My Dinner With Andre (probably a very divisive film due to its uncompromising & minimalist style and many people might be bored by watching two guys have dinner and chat even if one of them is Wallace Shawn)

Swimming to Cambodia (Spalding Gray--if you like neurotic monologues, this one is particularly good)

But assuming I have the right top 250 list, there are some very odd entries on it; e.g. Videodrome--seriously?!

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »
Yikes, that's quite a commitment. I looked over the list (I assume this is the right list?). Some things I noticed that weren't on that list that I would bother mentioning:

Rosetta (Robert Ebert compared this film to Mouchette, which is on the top 250 list, but I didn't terribly care for that one. Rosetta would definitely be in my top 5 if I believed in movie lists!)

The Seventh Continent (Michael Haneke. TSC is very depressing but it appears you would have already seen uplifting gems such as Salò given it's number 202 on the list...)

Fitzcarraldo (Herzog; I liked this one better than Aguirre--a good companion to this film is My Best Fiend -- Klaus Kinski which has some nearly unbelievable stories on Kinski during the filming of Fitzcarraldo)

Ghost World (Steve Buscemi's best performance? The best comic book film adaptation?)

My Dinner With Andre (probably a very divisive film due to its uncompromising & minimalist style and many people might be bored by watching two guys have dinner and chat even if one of them is Wallace Shawn)

Swimming to Cambodia (Spalding Gray--if you like neurotic monologues, this one is particularly good)

But assuming I have the right top 250 list, there are some very odd entries on it; e.g. Videodrome--seriously?!

Thanks, I appreciate it!  Yep, you got the right list.  It was a multi-year project to get through all 250.  And now I feel like I have a much better context for watching films.  I've always loved movies, but getting through the 250 deepens my appreciation of the art form quite a bit. 

I've seen a couple you list but not the others.  In particular Herzog and Haneke are 2 of my favorite directors, I'll put those at the top of my list.  Plus I just got in a Herzog bluray box set that looks to have a very nice remastering of all his major films. 

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #457 on: May 16, 2019, 08:05:34 AM »

Thanks, I appreciate it!  Yep, you got the right list.  It was a multi-year project to get through all 250.  And now I feel like I have a much better context for watching films.  I've always loved movies, but getting through the 250 deepens my appreciation of the art form quite a bit. 

I've seen a couple you list but not the others.  In particular Herzog and Haneke are 2 of my favorite directors, I'll put those at the top of my list.  Plus I just got in a Herzog bluray box set that looks to have a very nice remastering of all his major films.
Haneke & Herzog are also among my favorites (I've gone through days where I hear Herzog's booming voice narrating my life). I recently watched Caché for the first time and enjoyed it but thematically it was hard for me (as an American) to fully appreciate the French collective guilt regarding the treatment of Algeria/Algerians. The more micro-view of the film where the couple was divided by secrets reminded me of a very interesting movie called Force Majeure (2014) which is also a psychological drama (with some comedy) that involves a married couple dealing with the repercussions of an unusual occurrence.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #458 on: May 16, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »

Haneke & Herzog are also among my favorites (I've gone through days where I hear Herzog's booming voice narrating my life). I recently watched Caché for the first time and enjoyed it but thematically it was hard for me (as an American) to fully appreciate the French collective guilt regarding the treatment of Algeria/Algerians. The more micro-view of the film where the couple was divided by secrets reminded me of a very interesting movie called Force Majeure (2014) which is also a psychological drama (with some comedy) that involves a married couple dealing with the repercussions of an unusual occurrence.

What I love about movies like Cache is that I go in with no idea that there's this history of bad blood between France and Algeria.  And thus the movie makes no sense in the final 1/3rd.  But that gets me to ask the question of what the hell was that all about?  And then I actually learn something that I'd been totally blind to before.  Love that.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #459 on: May 20, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »
In an effort to get my money's worth out of my month of HBO, I have been watching a few of their old movies. Watched Possession over the weekend, which is based on A.S. Byatt's literary detective story about a pair of academics researching a previously unknown love affair between two Victorian poets. I remember that the first time I saw it, I had read the novel fairly recently, and the movie really suffered in comparison. This time, I liked it quite a bit--especially the historical couple, played by Jennifer Ehle (Lizzie in the BBC Pride and Prejudice) and Jeremy Northam. Just a nice love story with really excellent costumes in the historical scenes. Also Lena Headey, in a small part which, like Queen Cersei in Game of Thrones, involved a lot of pensive staring and stupid things done for love.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #460 on: May 21, 2019, 05:53:35 AM »
Ben-Hur. I had to pay $3.99 to rent it on my Amazon Prime, but it was surprisingly good. Yes, a bit hokey--it's from 1959 after all. (There is a 2016 remake, but I wanted to watch the real deal with Charlton Heston.) The actors chew the scenery and are a bit over-the-top at times, but I just took that as the fashion of the times--like the overture at the beginning, and the entr'acte in the middle with the musical score playing while the audience waits. Very theatrical, and something I don't think we would see in any current film. The chariot race is thrilling--I'd watch the movie just for that--one of the most exciting action sequences ever. This movie deserved all the Academy awards it won.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #461 on: May 21, 2019, 08:24:43 AM »
Ben-Hur. I had to pay $3.99 to rent it on my Amazon Prime, but it was surprisingly good. Yes, a bit hokey--it's from 1959 after all. (There is a 2016 remake, but I wanted to watch the real deal with Charlton Heston.) The actors chew the scenery and are a bit over-the-top at times, but I just took that as the fashion of the times--like the overture at the beginning, and the entr'acte in the middle with the musical score playing while the audience waits. Very theatrical, and something I don't think we would see in any current film. The chariot race is thrilling--I'd watch the movie just for that--one of the most exciting action sequences ever. This movie deserved all the Academy awards it won.

I remember being impressed and surprised by several things, esp the chariot race (still amazing), the indication of repressed homoerotic subtext with the frenemy (one of Gore Vidal's additions?), and the totally pagan-style post-crucifixion storm scene.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #462 on: May 26, 2019, 09:32:39 PM »
Continuing the British theme--

"Paddington," which was more charming than I expected. At this point, Hugh Bonneville will apparently never be anything but the Earl of Grantham to me, though.

"Mary, Queen of Scots"--I was not sure I was up for this after six weeks of Game of Thrones stabbing + plotting, but finally watched it. Saoirse Ronan was terrific as Mary and Margot Robbie as Elizabeth--everyone else was pretty much dudes in doublets, in varying degrees of awfulness (in terms of how they treated the two queens, not their acting). I knew the broad outlines of Mary's biography but not exactly how sad her life really was. David Tennant appears in a LOT of hair as John Knox.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: May 27, 2019, 06:48:17 AM »
Continuing the British theme--

"Paddington," which was more charming than I expected. At this point, Hugh Bonneville will apparently never be anything but the Earl of Grantham to me, though.

"Mary, Queen of Scots"--I was not sure I was up for this after six weeks of Game of Thrones stabbing + plotting, but finally watched it. Saoirse Ronan was terrific as Mary and Margot Robbie as Elizabeth--everyone else was pretty much dudes in doublets, in varying degrees of awfulness (in terms of how they treated the two queens, not their acting). I knew the broad outlines of Mary's biography but not exactly how sad her life really was. David Tennant appears in a LOT of hair as John Knox.

Paddington earned one  of the few letter grades “A”  that my favorite reviewer gave to films of the year it came out. He’s a tough grader. I like that. I haven’t seen Paddington but I plan to sometime in the future. You will have an opportunity to see Lord Grantham again in the September release of the Downton Abbey film. I have mixed feelings about that. It is too bad Julian Fellowes is writing  it, he is not good.

I was very disappointed in Mary Queen of Scots, it was a missed opportunity.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:52:09 AM by iris lily »

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #464 on: May 27, 2019, 07:20:50 AM »
I watched the sci-fi movie 'Prospector' this weekend.  A little slow at the start, but it turned out to be a pretty good movie.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #465 on: May 27, 2019, 11:41:16 PM »
Us.

Very good. Additional benefit: second run theater, $4.60 for two people.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #466 on: May 28, 2019, 02:55:55 AM »
Watched Detective Pikachu with the family last week. Surprisingly entertaining.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: June 09, 2019, 09:46:50 PM »
I was pretty wiped out this weekend so decided to go back and watch some old favorites on Netflix. "Bull Durham," "Gosford Park" and "North and South" (the British one based on an Elizabeth Gaskell novel, not the Civil War epic with Patrick Swayze) have all held up very well! Also watched "Wine Country," the new Amy Poehler comedy on Netflix about a group of female friends who get together to celebrate a birthday. It was (unsurprisingly) very funny and quite touching.

A few days ago, watched "Always Be My Maybe" which is a new romantic comedy on Netflix. It was very well done, and refreshing to see a) a predominantly Asian cast and b) an older couple.

Also watched Aquaman. I was not expecting much given the poor reviews, so I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It's basically a space opera underwater, but more ridiculous, and if that's what you're in the mood for, you will have a great time. At one point, the heroine wears an evening gown made of jellyfish, and at another point, a character angrily accuses the villain of plotting to become...DUM DUM DUM...the OCEAN MASTER, and later on there is a battle with underwater explosions (the fiery kind) and combatants riding giant sharks. The underwater effects are really gorgeous.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #468 on: June 10, 2019, 04:48:55 AM »
Watched The Perfection.

This movie is pretty twisted but I really liked it. You will need to pay close attention because they rewind certain scenes for you to see it two different ways.

The ending was pretty bizarre!

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #469 on: June 10, 2019, 07:15:04 AM »
Rocketman, the Elton John biopic, was fun. I wasn’t expecting a musical, but it worked. The lead actors and costume designers did exceptional jobs.

I also finally watched Bohemian Rhapsody. I’m not sure why I put it off so long, maybe because I love Queen and was afraid the film wouldn’t do them justice. Once again, the casting was spectacular. Freddie Mercury is my favorite rock singer, and Rami Malek fully deserved that Oscar. The film itself took some odd liberties with the timeline, but I think it portrayed the spirit of the band accurately.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #470 on: June 10, 2019, 12:11:04 PM »
I was pretty wiped out this weekend so decided to go back and watch some old favorites on Netflix. "Bull Durham," "Gosford Park" and "North and South" (the British one based on an Elizabeth Gaskell novel, not the Civil War epic with Patrick Swayze) have all held up very well! Also watched "Wine Country," the new Amy Poehler comedy on Netflix about a group of female friends who get together to celebrate a birthday. It was (unsurprisingly) very funny and quite touching.

A few days ago, watched "Always Be My Maybe" which is a new romantic comedy on Netflix. It was very well done, and refreshing to see a) a predominantly Asian cast and b) an older couple.

Also watched Aquaman. I was not expecting much given the poor reviews, so I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It's basically a space opera underwater, but more ridiculous, and if that's what you're in the mood for, you will have a great time. At one point, the heroine wears an evening gown made of jellyfish, and at another point, a character angrily accuses the villain of plotting to become...DUM DUM DUM...the OCEAN MASTER, and later on there is a battle with underwater explosions (the fiery kind) and combatants riding giant sharks. The underwater effects are really gorgeous.

I also watched and enjoyed Always Be My Maybe.  I really liked it.  I liked Wine Country a lot, too, more than I expected since it got middling reviews.  Gosford Park is one of my favorites, and Bull Durham is a classic. 

Based on our agreement about these four, I may have to watch North and South and Aquaman.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #471 on: June 11, 2019, 03:51:08 AM »
Last night i watched the Son of no one and it was average .

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #472 on: June 11, 2019, 10:28:56 AM »

I also watched and enjoyed Always Be My Maybe.  I really liked it.  I liked Wine Country a lot, too, more than I expected since it got middling reviews.  Gosford Park is one of my favorites, and Bull Durham is a classic. 

Based on our agreement about these four, I may have to watch North and South and Aquaman.

If "Pride and Prejudice" and "David Copperfield" had a baby, populated by attractive and vaguely recognizable British actors, you would get "North and South." Richard Armitage is probably the most recognizable actor and he handles his "Victorian smoldering" duties with aplomb as the hero.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #473 on: June 24, 2019, 02:52:25 PM »

If "Pride and Prejudice" and "David Copperfield" had a baby, populated by attractive and vaguely recognizable British actors, you would get "North and South." Richard Armitage is probably the most recognizable actor and he handles his "Victorian smoldering" duties with aplomb as the hero.

I also recommend North and South :) 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #474 on: June 24, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
Watched Annihilation on my 4k HT projector and 100 inch screen.  For something that is visually so beautiful and colorful, that film is freaking dark.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #475 on: June 24, 2019, 03:56:25 PM »
Saw John Wick 3. It's amazing to me how much I enjoy this series of movies b/c  I normally zone right out in 'action movies' and even during most action scenes in movies that I otherwise like.  And I fully acknowledge how one might view the violence to be problematic, but nevertheless I had an absolute blast. 

I was thinking of all the similarities between the low-budget, cult-favorite John Wick and the big budget, Oscar-nominated Mad Max Fury Road, and there are several: 1) slightly heightened alternate-reality settings (neo noir vs post apocalyptic); 2) surly, monosyllabic leads with little dialogue and minimal backstory; 3) super-stylish action sequences that involve practical stunts rather than cgi; 4) bare minimum plot set-up followed by nearly non-stop action scenes.

So why do I love the John Wick movies and get a massive adrenaline rush from them, but find MMFR almost unwatchably boring (Hardy and Theron's performances excepted) and get zero adrenaline rush?

I figure it must come down to 5 elements: 1) I love noir in all forms; 2) the John Wick series is much funnier; 3) the action is mostly pretty realistic hand-to-hand or close-quarters fighting (with e.g., non flashy grappling martial arts/correct number of shots before reloads, etc.), rather than stuff involving vehicles and machines (I tend to hate most action scenes involving cars or giant robots/robot suits); 4) Keanu Reeve's particular skills...he's not a good actor, but he is a physically gifted, well-trained guy doing his own stunts and gunplay/handling; and 5) John Wick's world-building just seems more interesting and fun in terms of lots of potential side stories, even in the limited way it was handled in the first movie.

Incidentally, I also enjoyed the recent Atomic Blonde, and I suspect it's because it was directed by one of the same directors that co-directed the JW series.

Side note: My husband's research lab has a tradition of awarding weapons (chosen by the fellow students) to grad students when they successfully defend their theses/dissertations.  Last week, they awarded one graduating PhD with a Japanese short sword to go with her katana from her Master's degree, and the first thing I thought of is how we could have a John Wick scene where he ends up in the research lab, and has every possible kind of weapon at his disposal LOL (including those deadly fan-things, and a bullwhip).  I don't write fanfic, but I'm a little bit tempted...

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 04:01:00 PM by wenchsenior »

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #476 on: June 26, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »
'Bride and Prejudice'

Naveen Andrews did Bollywood dancing in an Indian take on Jane Austen's novel. Quite clever and amusing at times.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #477 on: June 26, 2019, 02:10:32 PM »
'Bride and Prejudice'

Naveen Andrews did Bollywood dancing in an Indian take on Jane Austen's novel. Quite clever and amusing at times.

As a person of subcontinental descent, I cringe when book adaptations are Bolly-fied.

Just ruins those books for me, especially since I was forced to read them in English Lit class and ended by enjoying them.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #478 on: June 26, 2019, 02:18:55 PM »
'Bride and Prejudice'

Huh.  I might have to check that out.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #479 on: June 26, 2019, 02:19:50 PM »
Watched Annihilation on my 4k HT projector and 100 inch screen.  For something that is visually so beautiful and colorful, that film is freaking dark.

This movie didn't hold together as well as Ex Machina, but even its flaws were interesting to mull over for a week or so afterward..

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #480 on: June 27, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »
'Bride and Prejudice'

As a person of subcontinental descent, I cringe when book adaptations are Bolly-fied.

Just ruins those books for me, especially since I was forced to read them in English Lit class and ended by enjoying them.

Fair enough. I don’t watch a lot of Bollywood, so the movie was, to me, an amusing take on an old story.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #481 on: June 27, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »

This movie didn't hold together as well as Ex Machina, but even its flaws were interesting to mull over for a week or so afterward..

Funny, I loved Ex Machina when it came out and I deliberately did not watch Annihilation for a long time because I thought "Well it can't be as good as Ex Machina so I don't want to be disappointed."  But after watching Annihilation last week, I think I like it better.  Mostly because of that idea that a mutation you simply can't control that does terrible things to you and you have to just sit and wait until your body breaks down and there's literally nothing you can do to stop it, that is a very deeply disturbing idea for me.  I should mention I have heart disease so I have a bit of direct experience with that sort of thing.  For someone with a progressive, fatal disease, it's really cathartic to watch something like this.  I imagine it'd be similar for someone that has (or had) cancer.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #482 on: June 27, 2019, 11:08:37 AM »
'Bride and Prejudice'

Fair enough. I don’t watch a lot of Bollywood, so the movie was, to me, an amusing take on an old story.

I don't watch much Bollywood, but wife and kids just finished watching 'Badhaai Ho' (Congratulations). Pretty good low-budget movie that did quite well. Deals with a social taboo, family ties, etc.

The main actor, Ayushman Khurrana, sings a song in each of his movies, he's a different cut from the typical Bollywood male lead. My wife says his movies are quite good.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #483 on: June 27, 2019, 11:54:45 AM »

Funny, I loved Ex Machina when it came out and I deliberately did not watch Annihilation for a long time because I thought "Well it can't be as good as Ex Machina so I don't want to be disappointed."  But after watching Annihilation last week, I think I like it better.  Mostly because of that idea that a mutation you simply can't control that does terrible things to you and you have to just sit and wait until your body breaks down and there's literally nothing you can do to stop it, that is a very deeply disturbing idea for me.  I should mention I have heart disease so I have a bit of direct experience with that sort of thing.  For someone with a progressive, fatal disease, it's really cathartic to watch something like this.  I imagine it'd be similar for someone that has (or had) cancer.

I can imagine how that must affect your take on the movie.

I really liked Ex Machina, but I thought Annihilation was better.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #484 on: June 29, 2019, 09:54:06 AM »
Watched the recent "Robin Hood" with Taron Egerton (who just played Elton John in a new movie). It was dumb as heck but an excellent airplane movie--not too graphic, not too complex, moved along quickly so you didn't think too much about what was going on.

Also, "Isn't It Romantic?" in which Rebel Wilson plays a woman who thinks that romantic comedies are ridiculous, and finds herself trapped in one. I thought it was funny and charming--the cast includes Wilson and also Adam Devine (who was in the film Pitch Perfect with her as well) and Bollywood star Priyanka Chopra--there are a couple of musical numbers and all three of them can sing and dance really well (and Liam Hemsworth is surprisingly good at it...I wonder if his wife Miley Cyrus gave him tips). I think it would be most entertaining to someone who is already a fan of the genre as there are a lot of references to famous movies.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 06:33:15 AM by Noodle »

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #485 on: June 30, 2019, 07:14:40 AM »
I also just watched "Isn't it Romantic" on a plane and really enjoyed it. I laughed out loud a couple of times and just found it to be a really fun and refreshingly different movie (even if they did lay it on a bit thick in some elements by the end, e.g. Wilson falling flat on her face one too many times). It reminded me of "Game Night", another airplane watch that I expected to be really bad but ended up enjoying. I guess not all comedies are completely cringey nowadays.

I watched "Us" as well, which I do recommend to any horror/suspense fans. Nicely done and I liked the way the story wrapped up. It had a decent plot and I was actually a little bit tense a few times, which I count as wins.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #486 on: July 09, 2019, 11:42:45 AM »

Watched North and South over the past couple of days based on your recommendations @chaskavitch and @Noodle !  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Now I need to read the book.  And, I guess, see Aquaman.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #487 on: July 09, 2019, 03:04:08 PM »
"All is True" - Kenneth Branagh's take on Shakespeare's last few years of his life.  Really liked it, and I always like the historical costumes, settings, etc.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9206798/?ref_=nv_sr_1?ref_=nv_sr_1

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #488 on: July 12, 2019, 07:44:43 PM »
An oldie but a goodie...watched "The Lady Eve" with Barbara Stanwyck and a very young Henry Fonda. I had somehow never seen it before, and I did not expect where it was going, at all. They got to what I thought would be the ending by the middle of the movie, and then there is an entire, totally different, second act. Really enjoyed it, especially the Edith Head costumes.

Also watched "The Man Who Invented Christmas" about Charles Dickens writing "A Christmas Carol." Other than the many references/quotations from that specific book, it is actually not that Christmas-y a movie...in fact multiple people tell Dickens he is crazy for trying to write a book about "a minor holiday" (which it was, at the time). I thought it leaned too heavily into "Dickens resolving his personal issues by writing the book" (especially given that if Dickens DID exorcise personal demons with a book, it was more likely David Copperfield which to my understanding is much more autobiographical) but loved the depictions of a writer at work, especially one responsible for supporting a whole extended family with his output.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:30:22 AM by Noodle »

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #489 on: July 14, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »
You have great taste, @Noodle , I really enjoy your picks. After reading a recent update of yours here, I saw Gosford Park on a rare evening at home alone. It's so delicious.

And saw Rocketman at the theater yesterday. It's really good! I hadn't realized how the music of Elton John had so permeated my childhood and young adult life. I really liked it a lot.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #490 on: July 16, 2019, 03:54:20 AM »
Watched The Con is on yesterday afternoon during my lunch and about half way through had to shut it off it was terrible despite a big cast

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #491 on: July 19, 2019, 09:51:52 AM »
"Long Shot" with Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron.  Unnecessarily crude and lewd throughout.  Could have been a light-hearted comedy for summer, but just, ugh.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #492 on: July 19, 2019, 01:35:31 PM »
Pretty sure I won't be seeing Cats...the trailer might give me bad dreams.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 04:45:58 PM by OtherJen »

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #493 on: July 19, 2019, 04:37:47 PM »
You have great taste, @Noodle , I really enjoy your picks.

I second this.
Gosford Park is one of my top 5, it inspired a film analysis paper I had to write in college (Robert Altman for the win).

If you like Gosford Park and North & South, check out Mansfield Park with Frances O'Connor. I'm not one to re-watch a movie with the director's commentary turned on but there were so many good tid-bits I highly recommend it.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #494 on: July 19, 2019, 04:54:06 PM »
Watched 3 Women directed by Robert Altman that recently came out on Bluray from the Criterion Collection.  It was ... odd.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #495 on: July 20, 2019, 07:12:17 PM »
Watched an interesting Bollywood movie on Netflix: "Airlift." It's a fictionalized version of the story of how Indian businessmen in Kuwait organized an airlift to get over a hundred thousand Indians home who were stranded in the war zone during the Iraq invasion of Kuwait in the early 1990s. It's very much from the genre of "ordinary person rises to the occasion in a crisis" which I have seen many times, but the Indian version was interesting to see. For instance, there is a dance number.

Also saw the version of Mansfield Park from about 20 years ago mentioned above. It didn't totally work for me, but I did enjoy seeing several well-known actors in much younger versions--my favorite was Hugh Bonneville (Downton Abbey's very dignified Earl of Grantham) as one character's idiot husband.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:45:54 PM by Noodle »

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #496 on: July 27, 2019, 09:21:28 AM »
Trying out some free movies on Youtube. Just watched "The Adventures of Buckaroo Bonzai Across the 8th Dimension." Classic. Next up is "Sun Ra, Space is the Place, 1972 extended"

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #497 on: July 27, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »
'Bride and Prejudice'

Huh.  I might have to check that out.

Ohhhhhjooooo—Naveen Andrews. Been awhile since I thought about him. Yum.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #498 on: July 27, 2019, 01:02:27 PM »
Watched 3 Women directed by Robert Altman that recently came out on Bluray from the Criterion Collection.  It was ... odd.
I remember thst. Mainly
I remember how perfectly 70’s was the
Shelly Duvall character’s apartment, very Single Hip Successful Girl Apartment.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #499 on: July 27, 2019, 01:07:25 PM »

North and South is one of the top  British costume dramas for me.

I like Elizabeth Gaskell’s novels. Wives and Daughters is very good too, and the tv version  is decent.

DH and I went to a movie theater to see Toy Story 4. It was good. It has been over six months since I’ve been in a movie theater. That is a record for me. They just are not making films I want to see.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 01:09:12 PM by iris lily »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!