Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 36047 times)

Psychstache

• Pencil Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #450 on: May 15, 2019, 10:27:46 AM »
Watched the Dirt on netflix, the Movie based on the biography of Motley Crue's rise to stardom in the 80 rock scene. It is everything you would expect from a movie about an 80s rock group. I found it quite fun, although parents of littles be warned that
Spoiler: show
Vince Niel had a 4 year old daughter die of cancer and the scenes are brutal

TVRodriguez

• Bristles
« Reply #451 on: May 15, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »
Last night I watched Wine Country, Amy Poehler's new Netflix movie.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, although my husband asked me to turn it down about halfway into it. 

Enigma

• Bristles
« Reply #452 on: May 15, 2019, 12:10:56 PM »
Sometime in the next few months I will be watching the Star Wars in viewing order.  After all when I was watching the Avengers they showed a preview to episode 9 (IX) will be hitting theaters in Dec.

Debating on the order of things.  1-3 first or 4-6 first...  Tricky

4,5, then 6
1, 2, then 3
Solo – A Star Wars Story
Rogue 1 – A Star Wars Story
7, 8…  Then await the last of the trilogy to hit theaters?

Life is so tough.  I plan to drag someone along on my adventure

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #453 on: May 15, 2019, 12:14:58 PM »
I watched Death in Venice last night.  It was my first "post 250" movie.  Ie, I finished watching all 250 movies on BFI's top movies of all time last week and now I'm sort of at a bit of a loss on where to go next. 

Psychstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #454 on: May 15, 2019, 12:49:32 PM »
Sometime in the next few months I will be watching the Star Wars in viewing order.  After all when I was watching the Avengers they showed a preview to episode 9 (IX) will be hitting theaters in Dec.

Debating on the order of things.  1-3 first or 4-6 first...  Tricky

4,5, then 6
1, 2, then 3
Solo – A Star Wars Story
Rogue 1 – A Star Wars Story
7, 8…  Then await the last of the trilogy to hit theaters?

Life is so tough.  I plan to drag someone along on my adventure

Here are my thoughts
1. Watch Rogue 1
2. Watch 4-8
3. Skip Solo
4. Take 1-3, take them to a field and go all office space on them.

Problem Solved

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2019, 05:31:39 PM »
I watched Death in Venice last night.  It was my first "post 250" movie.  Ie, I finished watching all 250 movies on BFI's top movies of all time last week and now I'm sort of at a bit of a loss on where to go next.
Yikes, that's quite a commitment. I looked over the list (I assume this is the right list?). Some things I noticed that weren't on that list that I would bother mentioning:

Rosetta (Robert Ebert compared this film to Mouchette, which is on the top 250 list, but I didn't terribly care for that one. Rosetta would definitely be in my top 5 if I believed in movie lists!)

The Seventh Continent (Michael Haneke. TSC is very depressing but it appears you would have already seen uplifting gems such as Salò given it's number 202 on the list...)

Fitzcarraldo (Herzog; I liked this one better than Aguirre--a good companion to this film is My Best Fiend -- Klaus Kinski which has some nearly unbelievable stories on Kinski during the filming of Fitzcarraldo)

Ghost World (Steve Buscemi's best performance? The best comic book film adaptation?)

My Dinner With Andre (probably a very divisive film due to its uncompromising & minimalist style and many people might be bored by watching two guys have dinner and chat even if one of them is Wallace Shawn)

Swimming to Cambodia (Spalding Gray--if you like neurotic monologues, this one is particularly good)

But assuming I have the right top 250 list, there are some very odd entries on it; e.g. Videodrome--seriously?!

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2019, 05:58:53 PM »
Yikes, that's quite a commitment. I looked over the list (I assume this is the right list?). Some things I noticed that weren't on that list that I would bother mentioning:

Rosetta (Robert Ebert compared this film to Mouchette, which is on the top 250 list, but I didn't terribly care for that one. Rosetta would definitely be in my top 5 if I believed in movie lists!)

The Seventh Continent (Michael Haneke. TSC is very depressing but it appears you would have already seen uplifting gems such as Salò given it's number 202 on the list...)

Fitzcarraldo (Herzog; I liked this one better than Aguirre--a good companion to this film is My Best Fiend -- Klaus Kinski which has some nearly unbelievable stories on Kinski during the filming of Fitzcarraldo)

Ghost World (Steve Buscemi's best performance? The best comic book film adaptation?)

My Dinner With Andre (probably a very divisive film due to its uncompromising & minimalist style and many people might be bored by watching two guys have dinner and chat even if one of them is Wallace Shawn)

Swimming to Cambodia (Spalding Gray--if you like neurotic monologues, this one is particularly good)

But assuming I have the right top 250 list, there are some very odd entries on it; e.g. Videodrome--seriously?!

Thanks, I appreciate it!  Yep, you got the right list.  It was a multi-year project to get through all 250.  And now I feel like I have a much better context for watching films.  I've always loved movies, but getting through the 250 deepens my appreciation of the art form quite a bit. 

I've seen a couple you list but not the others.  In particular Herzog and Haneke are 2 of my favorite directors, I'll put those at the top of my list.  Plus I just got in a Herzog bluray box set that looks to have a very nice remastering of all his major films. 

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #457 on: May 16, 2019, 08:05:34 AM »

Thanks, I appreciate it!  Yep, you got the right list.  It was a multi-year project to get through all 250.  And now I feel like I have a much better context for watching films.  I've always loved movies, but getting through the 250 deepens my appreciation of the art form quite a bit. 

I've seen a couple you list but not the others.  In particular Herzog and Haneke are 2 of my favorite directors, I'll put those at the top of my list.  Plus I just got in a Herzog bluray box set that looks to have a very nice remastering of all his major films.
Haneke & Herzog are also among my favorites (I've gone through days where I hear Herzog's booming voice narrating my life). I recently watched Caché for the first time and enjoyed it but thematically it was hard for me (as an American) to fully appreciate the French collective guilt regarding the treatment of Algeria/Algerians. The more micro-view of the film where the couple was divided by secrets reminded me of a very interesting movie called Force Majeure (2014) which is also a psychological drama (with some comedy) that involves a married couple dealing with the repercussions of an unusual occurrence.

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #458 on: May 16, 2019, 10:58:24 AM »

Haneke & Herzog are also among my favorites (I've gone through days where I hear Herzog's booming voice narrating my life). I recently watched Caché for the first time and enjoyed it but thematically it was hard for me (as an American) to fully appreciate the French collective guilt regarding the treatment of Algeria/Algerians. The more micro-view of the film where the couple was divided by secrets reminded me of a very interesting movie called Force Majeure (2014) which is also a psychological drama (with some comedy) that involves a married couple dealing with the repercussions of an unusual occurrence.

What I love about movies like Cache is that I go in with no idea that there's this history of bad blood between France and Algeria.  And thus the movie makes no sense in the final 1/3rd.  But that gets me to ask the question of what the hell was that all about?  And then I actually learn something that I'd been totally blind to before.  Love that.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #459 on: May 20, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »
In an effort to get my money's worth out of my month of HBO, I have been watching a few of their old movies. Watched Possession over the weekend, which is based on A.S. Byatt's literary detective story about a pair of academics researching a previously unknown love affair between two Victorian poets. I remember that the first time I saw it, I had read the novel fairly recently, and the movie really suffered in comparison. This time, I liked it quite a bit--especially the historical couple, played by Jennifer Ehle (Lizzie in the BBC Pride and Prejudice) and Jeremy Northam. Just a nice love story with really excellent costumes in the historical scenes. Also Lena Headey, in a small part which, like Queen Cersei in Game of Thrones, involved a lot of pensive staring and stupid things done for love.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #460 on: May 21, 2019, 05:53:35 AM »
Ben-Hur. I had to pay $3.99 to rent it on my Amazon Prime, but it was surprisingly good. Yes, a bit hokey--it's from 1959 after all. (There is a 2016 remake, but I wanted to watch the real deal with Charlton Heston.) The actors chew the scenery and are a bit over-the-top at times, but I just took that as the fashion of the times--like the overture at the beginning, and the entr'acte in the middle with the musical score playing while the audience waits. Very theatrical, and something I don't think we would see in any current film. The chariot race is thrilling--I'd watch the movie just for that--one of the most exciting action sequences ever. This movie deserved all the Academy awards it won.

wenchsenior

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #461 on: May 21, 2019, 08:24:43 AM »
Ben-Hur. I had to pay $3.99 to rent it on my Amazon Prime, but it was surprisingly good. Yes, a bit hokey--it's from 1959 after all. (There is a 2016 remake, but I wanted to watch the real deal with Charlton Heston.) The actors chew the scenery and are a bit over-the-top at times, but I just took that as the fashion of the times--like the overture at the beginning, and the entr'acte in the middle with the musical score playing while the audience waits. Very theatrical, and something I don't think we would see in any current film. The chariot race is thrilling--I'd watch the movie just for that--one of the most exciting action sequences ever. This movie deserved all the Academy awards it won.

I remember being impressed and surprised by several things, esp the chariot race (still amazing), the indication of repressed homoerotic subtext with the frenemy (one of Gore Vidal's additions?), and the totally pagan-style post-crucifixion storm scene.