Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 501156 times)

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #300 on: December 03, 2018, 08:08:27 AM »
Different strokes for different folks. Oldboy, definitely subtitled, not dubbed, is one of my favorite movies of all time.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #301 on: December 03, 2018, 08:19:27 AM »
I really liked Oldboy . . . but watched it on a whim (subtitled) many years ago, with no real expectations or idea what it was about.  It is kinda over the top in places but is well directed, well acted, and has a good plot.  It was also not very predictable.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #302 on: December 03, 2018, 08:28:30 AM »
Hmm, one reason I didn't like it was I thought it was a bit predictable near the end.  The type of events and progression through those events was very ABCDE standard, even if the particular events chosen were more extreme or shocking than I would have guessed.  To be fair, I did like the ending, especially the last shot, which I felt like tied it all up well.

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #303 on: December 03, 2018, 08:33:38 AM »
Invictus (a one-off YouTube rental). Excellent movie, plus themes perfectly tailored for my viewing partner.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #304 on: December 04, 2018, 03:23:15 AM »
Watched an all time favorite last night on Roku  Braveheart. Its to bad Mel Gibson went off the deep end he made so many good movies over the years but I still enjoy watching that movie probably once a year.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #305 on: December 07, 2018, 11:48:35 AM »
Signed up like last year for Amazon prime for free for 30 days so doing a little binge watching. Right now knocking out Jack Ryan. So far pretty good.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #306 on: December 10, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »
Watched a" walk in the woods yesterday" with Robert Redford and Nick Nolte. They Walk the Appalachian Trail. Good light comedy.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: December 10, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »
"Book Club" and "The Spy Who Dumped Me"--both light as a feather comedies with female-centered casts. I thought "The Spy Who Dumped Me" was funnier, but it was great to see Diane Keaton, Jane Fonda, Mary Steenbergen, and Candice Bergen acting, and Book Club was a tour of "former Hollywood heart-throbs and how they have aged." (Hint, Andy Garcia has aged very well).

Also rewatched "Avengers: Age of Ultron" as part of my revisit to the Marvel series before the big finale Avengers movie comes out next spring. It was not my favorite but it was interesting to see all the foreshadowing and set-up for the most recent movies.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: December 30, 2018, 12:43:55 PM »
Any good movies over the holidays? I work a lot at this time of year so have not had as many opportunities to sit down for a couple of hours with a movie. Mostly I have been working my way through the Marvel superhero movies before the final Avengers movie comes out--I enjoyed Ant-man as much as I did the first time it came out--I like a good heist movie and it makes very clever use of the shrinking technology and how Antman uses real ants to accomplish his goals. I like my superhero movies cheerful so Captain America-Civil War is not my favorite although the superhero battle at the airport is a great set-piece.

However I am starting to go back to my exploration of the odd corners of the library DVD collection. Watched "The Way Way Back" this morning. It's a comedy about a teenage boy who gets dragged to his mother's boyfriend's beach house for the summer and finds his place among the people who work at a local waterpark. It's not especially original in terms of the plot, but it's incredibly warm and charming due to the acting. The cast is top-notch--Toni Collette and Steve Carell play the mother and the boyfriend, and most of the other actors playing adult parts are pretty recognizable. I don't always love these movies because they often have a "teenager thinks they've found a new mentor and then discover their shortcomings" plot, but that is not what happens here...the lead teen does have a blind spot, which comes out late in the movie, but he's pretty good at evaluating people. Definitely recommend it, especially if you could use a little summer right now.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #309 on: December 30, 2018, 01:25:38 PM »
I feel like A Simple Favor kind of snuck under everyone's radar earlier in the year. It was a lot of nasty fun. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #310 on: December 31, 2018, 06:25:39 AM »
just watched black panther. i'm not sure what is supposed to make this such a great movie.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #311 on: December 31, 2018, 11:02:49 AM »
Been watching Sherlock on Netflix. The parts i understand I like! Subtitles alot of times are wrong as well. But good quirky show

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #312 on: December 31, 2018, 08:48:15 PM »
I feel like A Simple Favor kind of snuck under everyone's radar earlier in the year. It was a lot of nasty fun.

Absolutely. It was a guilty-ish pleasure with lots of twists and turns. Never underestimate a Prius!

Over the weekend I saw Roma at the theater which is how it should be seen. It's a sprawling, wonderful character study of a family and their maid in 1970s Mexico City. It's gorgeous and recommend.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #313 on: January 01, 2019, 03:44:35 PM »

I watched this when I still had a moviepass (big waste of money now, don't do it!)  I enjoyed it :)  There was something wrong with the video file (however they run it for movie theaters now), so there were annoying glitches in the beginning, and it stopped about 20 minutes from the end (movie theater had to make some calls and were able to stream it), but it all turned out when the theater gave me a pass for a free movie later (haven't used it yet).

nessness

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #314 on: January 01, 2019, 06:49:01 PM »
I haven't read every page so I don't know if these have been mentioned, but I recently watched White Boy Rick and Searching and really liked both of them. The main character in White Boy Rick was a really good actor despite apparently never having acted before.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #315 on: January 01, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »
Went to see the re-make of A Star is Born over the holidays. Spectacular.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #316 on: January 02, 2019, 04:39:24 AM »
Watched Black Water on Netflix last night. Was not good.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #317 on: January 02, 2019, 07:17:21 AM »
We watched Bird Box (Netflix, starring Sandra Bullock) on New Year’s Eve. It was decent but I don’t recommend it if you don’t like creepy and horror.

I then realized that I hadn’t yet watched While You Were Sleeping, a perennial favorite, this holiday season. That movie is super cheesy yet still lovable after 25 years. And wow, Sandra Bullock has aged very well.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #318 on: January 03, 2019, 07:05:51 AM »
if you like WTF movies, try The Lobster.  great script, good cast, very well acted, and just conceptually weird.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #319 on: January 03, 2019, 07:08:06 AM »
Started Watching Pine Gap on Netflix. So far I like it.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #320 on: January 03, 2019, 08:10:57 AM »
Watched "The Puzzle" which is a movie about a middle-aged housewife who discovers a previously unknown talent for jigsaw puzzles. It features a Scottish actress I really like and I thought it was going to be a charming English comedy. Turns out it's actually a kind of dark indie drama set in the rural U.S. about a woman who finds herself but ends up hurting a lot of people around her in the process.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #321 on: January 03, 2019, 09:19:32 AM »
if you like WTF movies, try The Lobster.  great script, good cast, very well acted, and just conceptually weird.

I saw that the other night.  Definitely a WTF movie, but entertaining enough so it worked for me!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #322 on: January 05, 2019, 03:18:38 AM »
Watched "What happeded to Mondays" on Netflix. I surprisingly liked it.

Last night started watching the first season of Bad Blood on Netflix- Very good!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: January 05, 2019, 08:30:15 PM »
Next up in the Marvel series was Dr. Strange. It was visually beautiful and had a top-notch cast--it included one Oscar winner and three Oscar nominees--but did not give them nearly enough to do. Mostly useful to remind myself of some backstory that tied into the most recent Avengers movie. I am finally getting into the section of the movies that I haven't seen since they originally came out, so it's fun revisiting.

Also watched "The House With the Clock in its Walls" which was one of my absolute favorite books as a kid. It was stunning to look at, and I actually thought Jack Black and Cate Blanchett did well with the adult roles. (Although for some reason they thought Cate Blanchett's character needed a tragic family backstory. The original version was a kick-ass single lady of a certain age, which I thought was just fine.) The kid actor playing the main role did not have that much of a range (I don't blame him, I'm sure it was 90% green-screen) but what I really missed was the sheer sense of creepiness the original book had. The movie had more of an "adventure caper" feel to it.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #324 on: January 05, 2019, 10:43:12 PM »
King Lear with Anthony Hopkins as Lear on Amazon Prime (produced by Amazon and BBC).  Just finished watching this.  Loved every minute of it.  They made cuts and really created a tight, action packed movie out of this play.  The modern setting was great, and the cinematography was excellent.

The performances are what sets this one apart - everyone brought their A game and that made it all the more compelling.  To focus on Hopkins, he plays Lear like a man that is truly insane.  Maybe even a bit of Parkinson's too.  It really shifts the tone of the film. 

Normally in Lear you get the sense that the oldest 2 daughters are conniving schemers and that Lear is a bit of a victim ("more sinned against than sinning"), but in this version Lear's a right bastard and these 2 daughters are likely products of a pretty horrible home life.  Oh, they are still quite vicious, but are more nuanced than in other versions.

As a viewer, you're left in the quandary of knowing that clearly the British State is in bad shape with those 2 daughters in charge, but in many respects it's even worse with Lear who's pretty much a madman.  There's no real answer that's viable.  And of course it wouldn't be Shakespeare if everyone didn't suffer enormously and/or die tragically.  I love the bleak old bastard.

PS, one nice feature of watching it on Amazon - you can turn on the subtitles.  I strongly recommend doing it, the dialog is way too intricate and spoken too rapidly to catch it just via audio.  I say that as someone that's very familiar with this play.  Trust me, the subtitles are a blessing.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #325 on: January 06, 2019, 08:21:59 AM »

I saw that the other night.  Definitely a WTF movie, but entertaining enough so it worked for me!

I was really interested in seeing that, but glancing over the Netflix reviews I saw tons of people referring to 'a disgusting/totally upsetting' etc scene involving a dog.  I have no particular fondness for dogs, but any animal cruelty is upsetting.  Should whatever this scene is be putting me off the film?

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #326 on: January 06, 2019, 11:06:25 AM »

I was really interested in seeing that, but glancing over the Netflix reviews I saw tons of people referring to 'a disgusting/totally upsetting' etc scene involving a dog.  I have no particular fondness for dogs, but any animal cruelty is upsetting.  Should whatever this scene is be putting me off the film?

I know I'm probably not the right one to answer this, because I had to think about what scene that would be.  Also, I have a 100% ability to completely detach myself from movies not based one real-life (I cannot get scared by a "scary" movie no matter how hard I try.) My mind goes into all of it as "nothing at all here is real", so I guess none of it upsets me?

However, yes, there is a scene showing a "horrifically abused" dog.  I cannot remember if it showed the active abuse, or just the aftermath (it definitely showed the aftermath, but I was playing the movie in the background while I was knitting, so...?)  I felt more sad for the dog when I found out it couldn't go outside (so, maybe a bit of a failure of full-detachment... IRL I feel bad for any dog or cat that is "inside only".)

If you wanted to skip that scene, you get a bit of a warning for it.  I could even look it up again and tell you which minutes to skip. 

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #327 on: January 06, 2019, 05:17:29 PM »

The Lobster is a dark, slow comedy. You really have to be in the right mood for it and understand you're not watching "A Toy Story" No animal was harmed in the making of the film.

MDfive21

• Stubble
« Reply #328 on: January 07, 2019, 08:04:41 AM »
spoiler alert:  lady kicks dog to death and they show the aftermath for like 2 seconds.  you don't see her actually kick the dog, it's a still basically.

also you see her shoot a mule or donkey at the beginning.  really sets the mood :)

if you're sensitive for weirdness like you'd see in a david lynch movie, this one's not for you either.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #329 on: January 07, 2019, 08:18:36 AM »
Thanks, guys.  No, I watch weird movies all the time. In high school, I seriously considered going to film school. And of course I understand they didn't actually kill a dog lol.  I'm not five.

ETA: I suspect I will be seeing The Favorite in the theater this week, so if I like that I will definitely check out The Lobster.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 08:20:46 AM by wenchsenior »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: January 07, 2019, 08:59:48 AM »
Thanks, guys.  No, I watch weird movies all the time. In high school, I seriously considered going to film school. And of course I understand they didn't actually kill a dog lol.  I'm not five.

ETA: I suspect I will be seeing The Favorite in the theater this week, so if I like that I will definitely check out The Lobster.

The Favourite was my favorite film of the year, but granted, I didnt see much because I found there wasnt much to see. Havent seen Roma, though, have high expectations for that.

The Lobster was a weird and interesting little alternate-universe film.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 09:27:36 AM by iris lily »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2019, 09:02:12 AM »

The favourite was my favorite film of the year, but granted, I didnt see much because I found there wasnt much to see. Havent seen Roma, though, have high expectations doe thar.

As long as we are on this director's work, has anyone tackled Killing of the Sacred Deer?  He loves to throw curve-balls, and apparently that film caused a lot of walkouts.  This film intrigues me, as well.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #332 on: January 07, 2019, 11:06:40 AM »

The Favourite was my favorite film of the year, but granted, I didnt see much because I found there wasnt much to see. Havent seen Roma, though, have high expectations for that.

I liked The Lobster . . . but I'm not sure I'd want to see it again.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #333 on: January 07, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »
Watched Shattered last night on Hulu with Pierce Bronson and Gerard Butler. Great twist, me and the DW really liked it.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2019, 06:17:47 PM »

I liked The Lobster . . . but I'm not sure I'd want to see it again.
Also by Lanthimos is the film Dogtooth which I like better than The Lobster

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #335 on: January 12, 2019, 04:01:56 AM »
Watched The Snowman yesterday based on the book by Michael Fassbender. Very odd creepy but good murder mystery. Got it at the Library. Worth a Watch.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: January 13, 2019, 07:08:37 AM »
Watched The Snowman yesterday based on the book by Michael Fassbender. Very odd creepy but good murder mystery. Got it at the Library. Worth a Watch.

Ha.  The only Snowman I've ever watched is the pencil-drawn animated Christmas film from 1982. Very very very different...

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #337 on: January 13, 2019, 01:26:11 PM »
From the library, watched "Going the Distance," a dramedy about a couple in a long-distance relationship. The cast was solid, but the movie was pretty mediocre.

Also watched "A Simple Favor," a female-centered suspense movie similar to "Gone Girl" and "The Girl on the Train." Anna Kendrick is terrific as one of the female leads and Blake Lively was surprisingly strong as the other. It wasn't the most cleverly plotted example of the genre, but I still really liked it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #338 on: January 15, 2019, 02:23:10 AM »

Ha.  The only Snowman I've ever watched is the pencil-drawn animated Christmas film from 1982. Very very very different...

Haha... Yea this one was about a serial killer not quite the same! lol

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #339 on: January 15, 2019, 02:25:11 AM »
Watched the move The Captive yesterday on Netflix. With just finding that girl in Wisconsin after 88 days I dont know if that made it a good movie or not but I enjoyed it. Good Cast. Parents worst nightmare. Not over the top so I would recommend it.

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #340 on: January 15, 2019, 06:46:17 AM »
Watched The Snowman yesterday based on the book by starring Michael Fassbender. Very odd creepy but good murder mystery. Got it at the Library. Worth a Watch.

based on the novel of the same name by Jo Nesbø

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #341 on: January 15, 2019, 08:08:41 AM »
Watched The Snowman yesterday based on the book by starring Michael Fassbender. Very odd creepy but good murder mystery. Got it at the Library. Worth a Watch.

Huh.  I was very interested in that movie during development, but then it got some of the worst critical reviews for a 'prestige' picture that I've ever seen, so I skipped it. I heard that funding was cut partway through the shoot and the whole project sort of collapsed and had to be cobbled together in the editing room.  I think I'll try reading the book, though. I read one other Nesbo and liked it.

New rec:  For those who miss old-fashioned, uplifting movies, I recommend "The Dish." It's a gentle, quirky comedy about the Australian team manning the satellite dish that was used to broadcast part of the footage of the moon landing, and the associated hullaballoo in their little remote town.  I'm sure it's not perfectly true to life but it was delightful.  Man, I LOVE me some Sam Neill.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #342 on: January 17, 2019, 04:07:23 AM »
Watched Twinsters again. For like the 10th time. Such a sweet documentary.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #343 on: January 17, 2019, 05:44:36 AM »
We got through about 2/3 of Fyre Fraud on Hulu before we realized how late it was. Man, that fake festival was a train wreck of gargantuan proportions. It makes for an entertaining documentary, though.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #344 on: January 25, 2019, 04:16:37 AM »
Last night watched "A most wanted Man" on Hule. Very good movie. Also the day before Watched Commuter on Hulu with Liam Neeson. That was your hi action moving takes place on a commuter train. Pretty good. Again on Hulu. Been having better luck lately there than on Netflix.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #345 on: January 25, 2019, 09:34:27 AM »

Huh.  I was very interested in that movie during development, but then it got some of the worst critical reviews for a 'prestige' picture that I've ever seen, so I skipped it. I heard that funding was cut partway through the shoot and the whole project sort of collapsed and had to be cobbled together in the editing room.  I think I'll try reading the book, though. I read one other Nesbo and liked it.

New rec:  For those who miss old-fashioned, uplifting movies, I recommend "The Dish." It's a gentle, quirky comedy about the Australian team manning the satellite dish that was used to broadcast part of the footage of the moon landing, and the associated hullaballoo in their little remote town.  I'm sure it's not perfectly true to life but it was delightful.  Man, I LOVE me some Sam Neill.
Oh The Dish spunds great!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: January 25, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »
Finished rewatching the Marvel movies over the long weekend, when a heavy cold meant I didn't feel like doing much besides watching extremely fit actors and actresses punch each other with the help of some very expensive special effects. I had a good time and am now ready for the big finale of this part of their story when it comes out in the spring. Although watching several superhero movies in quick succession does make you ask questions like "In a universe with many technological and scientific geniuses, and access to advanced alien technologies and complex superpowers, why ARE so many problems solved by punching?"

In the non-spandex part of the cinematic universe, I also nosed around on Netflix and watched "Man Up," a cute British romantic comedy with Simon Pegg and a variety of other actors and actresses I recognized from various period movies, and also "44 Pages" which is a documentary about "Highlights Magazine" and turned out to be more interesting than I expected. The magazine takes its responsibility to make Highlights a safe place for children very seriously, and it was interesting to see the staff trying to balance that with honesty. There was also an unspoken thread that a lot of their subscribers seem to be families from a more conservative end of the spectrum, whose idea of "safe" is somewhat different than the more liberal editorial staff's. One might not always agree with how the editors choose to navigate that, but it was interesting to see them thinking through it.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #347 on: January 25, 2019, 02:59:06 PM »
Don't miss The Death of Stalin!

Somebody decided to make a film about Stalin dying.  Then they thought, "Hey, let's make it a comedy AND we'll get Steve Buscemi to play Khrushchev."

Brilliant!

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #348 on: January 25, 2019, 09:05:01 PM »
I watched the movie "Io" on Netflix and I was like "Wait, what?" Nearly nothing happened for the entire movie and then the ending was so confusing that I had to look it up on Wikipedia afterward to figure out what happened. Such a shame too because it had the potential to be a great psychological horror movie when the girl started acting all crazy around the guy. The artsy people who make these films need to think a little bigger. You can make a great psychological drama with a cast of four people, but you need to give them something to do. Okay, rant over.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #349 on: January 26, 2019, 04:21:56 AM »
I watched the movie "Io" on Netflix and I was like "Wait, what?" Nearly nothing happened for the entire movie and then the ending was so confusing that I had to look it up on Wikipedia afterward to figure out what happened. Such a shame too because it had the potential to be a great psychological horror movie when the girl started acting all crazy around the guy. The artsy people who make these films need to think a little bigger. You can make a great psychological drama with a cast of four people, but you need to give them something to do. Okay, rant over.

Yea i watched it and thought it was going to be like a female version kinda of Martian (with Matt Damon) so I watched it and it to me sucked.! You said it right its like they try to overthink or get to creative in so many movies these days so many times your caught at the ending saying to yourself 'wtf just happened" what was that about! lol

Last night on Hulu I watched a Documentary on Hulu called K2 and it was about a bunch of climbers that died on the mountain during perfect weather back in 08. Put together very well and really talked for the first movie like that all the issues that can happen. Not usually my cup  of tea but was worth watching.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!