Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 501158 times)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #250 on: September 16, 2018, 02:22:58 PM »
Saw Crazy Rich Asians in the theater, mostly to spend time with my sister. It was light as a feather and lots of fun. I highly recommend it if romantic comedies are your bag. I liked the main couple, but honestly my favorite characters were all supporting roles.

Also saw Coco Before Chanel, a French biopic of Coco Chanel. Audrey Tautou did a great job with the leading role, but I was hoping for more fashion and the movie spends most of its time on her relationships with the two men who supported her before she got her business underway.

And the Fate of the Furious, because sometimes you just like an absurd action movie. I mean, in the first ten minutes the hero wins a drag race while driving a flaming car backwards. After that you know exactly what you're getting into.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2018, 03:05:27 AM »
Saw Crazy Rich Asians in the theater, mostly to spend time with my sister. It was light as a feather and lots of fun. I highly recommend it if romantic comedies are your bag. I liked the main couple, but honestly my favorite characters were all supporting roles.

I saw this the other day,  I was glad it had a happier ending than the book. But I agree the supporting characters are a lot more fun and interesting in both the book and movies

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2018, 11:17:26 PM »
Watched Ocean's 8 now that it is out on home video. The heist plot is not nearly as clever as the one in Ocean's Eleven, but if your idea of good entertainment is eight really good actresses having a whale of a time, this is the movie for you.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: September 23, 2018, 11:53:45 AM »
I reserved Split and Goodbye Lenin! from the library. The former because a new M.N. Shayamalan movie is coming out next year and I hadn't seen that one. The latter because I haven't seen it since 2005 and I am into some Yann Tiersen right now.

Split was good. I'm partial to McAvoy though. GL is also a good film, but I think the kid could have saved himself a lot of time trouble and just told his mother the truth once she was home. He wasn't really doing it for her, he was being selfish.

Realizing now that both film's actors have connections to the Marvel Universe.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: September 29, 2018, 09:55:50 PM »
Our weekends have been pretty grey and rainy lately--perfect for watching movies.

I am continuing my (very) slow perambulation through the Marvel superhero movies and came to Iron Man 3, which I thought was better than I remembered.

Watched Solo, which I have been excited to see coming to streaming. I am not a Star Wars purist, and I really liked it, although I know a lot of people weren't thrilled with it. It had a sense of fun that reminded me of the original Star Wars--more recent installments have gotten much more serious.

I decided I was not in the mood for either of the Serious Dramas I had checked out of the library, so I poked around on Netflix and found The Truman Show. It definitely has some plot holes, but it remains surprisingly watchable.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #255 on: October 02, 2018, 01:30:20 PM »
Couple of movies from the library:

Dr. Strange. Not the modern verson. The 1978 version. It was like a made for tv movie. Complete with 70s wah wah guitar.

Pirate Radio. Not real deep, but entertaining.

I also saw Three Identical Strangers last night. It was a good documentary, watching the joy then despair. Nature vs. nurture. Made me think about inherited traits and how I was raised.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #256 on: October 03, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »
We watched Gremlins last weekend! My fiance had never seen it. It actually holds up pretty well! I thought the puppets looked quite good for over 30 years ago, and it's a unique little story, rather then a tiresome trope. I realized I had very few memories of the movie because I was so young when I saw it, so it was a lot like seeing it for the first time.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #257 on: October 03, 2018, 07:44:53 AM »
Trailer Park Boys, the movie. Hilarious!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #258 on: October 03, 2018, 07:48:06 AM »
We just watched Bad Samaritan last night. Very good movie -- David Tennant was fantastic as the bad guy.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #259 on: October 03, 2018, 08:01:17 AM »
We just watched Bad Samaritan last night. Very good movie -- David Tennant was fantastic as the bad guy.

@Kris , that's because David Tennant is fantastic at everything :)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #260 on: October 03, 2018, 08:01:47 AM »

@Kris , that's because David Tennant is fantastic at everything :)

No kidding. But wow, I had never seen him be so evil before. It was really chilling.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: October 03, 2018, 09:01:29 AM »
I just watched Your Name last night.  It's a animated Japanese film about two teenagers of opposite genders who occasionally wake up in each other's bodies for a day.  It sounds super campy and like it should be full of ridiculous fan service, but it wasn't at all - it was REALLY GOOD.  The animation was amazingly detailed and beautiful, the story was gripping (to me, at least), and DH and I were seriously groping each other on the arm at the end while we stared at the TV, saying things like "It'll be ok, it's not over yet! Just wait!"

OMG, I borrowed that from the library not too long ago. It was great and I was really rooting for those kids!

Watching John Adams for the umpteenth time.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: October 03, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »
The first thing I really saw David Tennant in was "Jessica Jones" in which he very effectively played one of the most evil villains Marvel has so far put on screen. It messed with my mind when I saw him in a more positive role. He does a really good villain!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 11:15:46 AM by Noodle »

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: October 03, 2018, 09:17:40 AM »
The first thing I really saw David Tennant in was "Jessica Jones" in which he very effectively played one the most evil villains Marvel has so far put on screen. It really messed with my mind when I saw him in a more positive role. He does a really good villain!

I've never seen that. Thinking I might have to watch it, though.

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: October 03, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »
The first thing I really saw David Tennant in was "Jessica Jones" in which he very effectively played one the most evil villains Marvel has so far put on screen. It really messed with my mind when I saw him in a more positive role. He does a really good villain!

"Secret Smile" is also a David-Tennant-as-a-villain serial drama.  Totally creepy, lots of emotional manipulation and a sexual assault/rape, and I probably won't watch it again.  As an alternate, "Recovery" is a BBC movie about a man recovering from a brain injury.  I haven't watched it in years, but I remember it as being well done and hard to watch because it's so emotional.

I saw him in Doctor Who first, though, so it's hard to think of him as totally a villain.  He's so good at it, though!

... Come to think of it, I may have seen him first as Barty Crouch Jr in Harry Potter.  He's a villain there too.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: October 03, 2018, 09:46:02 AM »

"Secret Smile" is also a David-Tennant-as-a-villain serial drama.  Totally creepy, lots of emotional manipulation and a sexual assault/rape, and I probably won't watch it again.  As an alternate, "Recovery" is a BBC movie about a man recovering from a brain injury.  I haven't watched it in years, but I remember it as being well done and hard to watch because it's so emotional.

I saw him in Doctor Who first, though, so it's hard to think of him as totally a villain.  He's so good at it, though!

... Come to think of it, I may have seen him first as Barty Crouch Jr in Harry Potter.  He's a villain there too.

Yeah, I've pretty much only seen him in Dr. Who and Broadchurch, so...

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #266 on: October 03, 2018, 09:55:29 AM »

I confess, I have a mild obsession.  I went through a period where I searched out any and all David Tennant movies or shows, even if I had to watch them in parts on YouTube.  There are so many more, and so many ridiculous ones.  Casanova, anyone?  If you ever want David Tennant recommendations, let me know ;)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #267 on: October 03, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »

I confess, I have a mild obsession.  I went through a period where I searched out any and all David Tennant movies or shows, even if I had to watch them in parts on YouTube.  There are so many more, and so many ridiculous ones.  Casanova, anyone?  If you ever want David Tennant recommendations, let me know ;)

Will do! And I just noticed you live in FoCo. Lucky you!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: October 03, 2018, 10:15:18 AM »

Northern Colorado is nice, I moved here for college and never left.  I was surprised after I started reading the blog that MMM lived in Longmont - I always look for the shop/hq while driving to Lafayette to see my in-laws :)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #269 on: October 03, 2018, 10:16:28 AM »

Northern Colorado is nice, I moved here for college and never left.  I was surprised after I started reading the blog that MMM lived in Longmont - I always look for the shop/hq while driving to Lafayette to see my in-laws :)

My nephew lives there with his family. We just love it there. Gorgeous place, lots of fun stuff to do.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #270 on: October 03, 2018, 11:25:48 AM »

It's not perfect--like a lot of the early Netflix series, it's got about 8 episodes of plot in a 13-episode season (which I thought was dumb--Jessica's a private detective! A perfect way to fill out the season with some standalone episodes about her work!)  But David Tennant is just terrific and Krysten Ritter does a great job with Jessica, and although you have to slog through a slow section in the middle, the ending is really effective. Be warned, though, the plot is dead centered on gender similar to the news right now, which may be a bit much for some people.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: October 15, 2018, 07:00:26 AM »
A couple of interesting things lately: "I Am Big Bird" about Carroll Spinney, who has played Big Bird (and Oscar the Grouch) since the inception of Sesame Street--although these days he does have help and back-up actors. I really liked it--he is clearly a complicated person and the movie is pretty honest about that, although it's also very kind. He and his wife are also very enthusiastic home movie buffs, and the filmmakers clearly had access to the family archives as there was a lot of footage I had never seen before.

And this weekend--"Destination Wedding" which is streaming on Prime. This is a movie that people are either going to love or hate. Most of the critics hated it, but I really liked it. Keanu Reeves and Winona Ryder play two very difficult people who end up stuck together at a destination wedding and discover that their personal brands of difficulty match up very well. There is a lot of physical comedy involved to make two of the most beautiful people on the planet believably unattractive, and Keanu Reeves in particular does a great job with it. Fair warning--the movie is literally just those two actors and a lot of background extras, and it's very dialogue-heavy.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2018, 12:26:51 PM »
The Girl on the Train and The Big Sick from the library. Both very good.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #273 on: October 20, 2018, 01:21:58 PM »
Somehow I had never seen "The Iron Giant." I was in the mood for something warm-hearted today and that was lovely. The one way I thought it had not aged well was the lack of female characters other than the mother.

Continuing to rewatch the Marvel movies and was up to "Thor: The Dark World." It's interesting how a lot of the movies I really liked when they came out weren't quite as interesting this time around, while I've been finding things to like about some of the movies I didn't care for. Thor 2 is considered by a lot of people to be toward the bottom of the franchise and I don't disagree, but I had forgotten that this is the movie where the supporting characters of Asgard really get the most to do, and I enjoyed seeing more of them.

Also watched "In the Heart of the Sea"--the Chris Hemsworth whaling movie. It was OK, but you need a pretty strong stomach. I spent most of the time wondering how Ron Howard had gotten away with feeding Tom Holland 500 calories a day without violating child labor laws (they wanted the actors to look appropriately starved) until I realized he was already a legal adult at the time. Interesting to see Thor and Spiderman together on-screen in totally different roles, though!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: October 21, 2018, 11:08:38 AM »
Has anyone mentioned Starship Troopers? It's on Amazon Prime. I can't believe it was the first time I've ever seen it. On the face of it, it's a cheesy, campy space opera. But somehow it's more than that--it's like a cheesy, campy space opera that turns out to be a heartfelt story with a lot to think about. Lots of fun, but surprisingly nuanced.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #275 on: October 21, 2018, 02:30:56 PM »
Has anyone mentioned Starship Troopers? It's on Amazon Prime. I can't believe it was the first time I've ever seen it. On the face of it, it's a cheesy, campy space opera. But somehow it's more than that--it's like a cheesy, campy space opera that turns out to be a heartfelt story with a lot to think about. Lots of fun, but surprisingly nuanced.

I love Starship Troopers.  It's a very well done satire of what it's like to live under Fascism.  The binary thinking, us vs. them, the superior race, outsiders being aliens etc...  The director once said that he really wanted to make a movie about a hot young couple in love under Hitler.  Something along the lines of "Young Nazi's in Love", but that was a non-starter from a funding standpoint, so he shifted it to the future and came out with Starship Troopers (cleverly bending Heinlein's book to his own purposes).

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: October 22, 2018, 07:46:28 AM »
Was clicking around Amazon Prime looking for some grown-up Halloweeny movies that are not in the horror genre.
High Spirits is a campy, over-the-top ghost story made in 1988. Peter O'Toole hams it up as the impoverished owner of a "haunted" Irish castle/hotel. He's trying to attract customers so he can pay the bills and keep the ancestral home. Naturally the castle turns out to really be haunted--and shenanigans ensue as ghosts and humans mix it up romantically and otherwise.  There's a lot of  heavy-handed slapstick comedy, and the film isn't as funny as it thinks it is--tends toward silliness--but it's nice to see Liam Neeson and Daryl Hannah in their younger years--and Peter O'Toole is always worth watching. It was filmed at the castle of Dromore in Ireland. (Remember that old folk song? "October winds lament around...the castle at Dromore"...) Just fluff--get some beer and popcorn--mindless entertainment.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #277 on: October 22, 2018, 08:27:10 AM »

I love Starship Troopers.  It's a very well done satire of what it's like to live under Fascism.  The binary thinking, us vs. them, the superior race, outsiders being aliens etc...  The director once said that he really wanted to make a movie about a hot young couple in love under Hitler.  Something along the lines of "Young Nazi's in Love", but that was a non-starter from a funding standpoint, so he shifted it to the future and came out with Starship Troopers (cleverly bending Heinlein's book to his own purposes).

Not so much clever bending as rewriting . . . there's virtually no overlap at all between the book Starship Troopers and the movie.  Most of what was taken from the book was just the name.  :P

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: October 22, 2018, 08:28:24 AM »
Dunkirk.  One of the best we have seen in a very long time.  There are 3 parallel stories: land, air, & sea.  You will see some of the characters interact between the story lines and see the same event from different perspectives.  Very powerful. 

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #279 on: October 22, 2018, 10:59:27 AM »
The Old Man with the Gun.  Saw it this weekend with my husband and MIL.  I really enjoyed it, it's a film that really takes its time to explore some interesting people, and yet it doesn't feel slow.  Great performance by Robert Redford as well.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2018, 01:24:31 PM »

Not so much clever bending as rewriting . . . there's virtually no overlap at all between the book Starship Troopers and the movie.  Most of what was taken from the book was just the name.  :P

Not unlike what Kubrick would frequently do.   :D

Parton

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #281 on: October 26, 2018, 01:04:23 AM »
I don’t watch movies because I don’t have time for it, but I couldn’t miss such a premiere as Venom. I went to the cinema and I liked it very much.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #282 on: October 28, 2018, 10:06:06 AM »
I wanted something Halloweeny but not horrible, so took a chance on what I know is a family/kids type of movie--The Witches Ball--on Netflix. Very pleasant, mild, somewhat quirky entertainment. Cute, atmospheric, and nothing to scare the younger kids or embarrass Grandma.[/i][/i]

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: October 30, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »
Watched "Crazy Stupid Love" from the library over the weekend. That is a movie which has not aged well AT ALL.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #284 on: October 30, 2018, 11:37:13 AM »
Just watched Stranger than Fiction again.  That is a really good movie, if you like quirky movies.  Probably Will Ferrell's best movie since it's a more serious role. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: November 05, 2018, 10:20:02 AM »
Watched "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" over the weekend. I couldn't bring myself to watch it when it first came out because I am a huge James Thurber fan and there is very little overlap between the movie and the original source material. I actually liked it, probably because the trailer implied that it is more of a broad comedy than it turned out to be.

That inspired me to reread "The Night the Bed Fell," one of my favorite Thurber stories, in homage to the author. If you've never read it, Happy Monday! https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1933/07/08/my-life-and-hard-times-i-the-night-the-bed-fell

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #286 on: November 05, 2018, 05:00:21 PM »
I saw A Simple Favor last night at the cheap theater. I wasn't really sure I wanted to see it, but I heard good things. And it was good.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #287 on: November 05, 2018, 10:14:18 PM »
Watched A Ghost Story with Casey Affleck. It was.... haunting :P

Seriously though, it was good. 91% on Rotten tomatoes and didn't dissapoint. But you have to be in the mood for this type of movie.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: November 09, 2018, 07:33:31 AM »
Tried watching '3 Billboards Outside Ebbings, Mo.'   I was psyched about seeing it. Waited a long time for it to be available at my library. I didn't last more than 15 minutes. Something about the ugly anger in Frances McDormand.  I liked her so much better in Fargo. Turned it off.

'Naked Lunch'. Based on the novel by William Burroughs. On DVD from the lib. The movie itself was interesting. I liked it. And the supplemental stuff with interviews of Burroughs and the director was good too.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #289 on: November 18, 2018, 08:31:07 AM »
One of my favorite surprises recently: "What We Do in the Shadows," a vampire documentary-style comedy about four vampires trying to fit into modern Wellington, New Zealand. One of the directors and actors was Taika Waititi, who most recently made the newest Thor movie. There isn't a whole lot of plot (vampires come and go from the group, they look for humans to eat, they go to a big party, they argue with the local werewolves) but it was just a lot of fun throughout. You know exactly what you're getting into when the first big set-piece is a house meeting (they're roommates) that devolves into a big argument about doing the dishes. There is a bit of gore but I would be OK watching it with any of my teen nieces or nephews.

Also saw "Life of the Party" in which Melissa McCarthy plays a mom who ends up going to the same college as her daughter after she goes through a divorce. It was light and fun and good for a Saturday movie night.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #290 on: November 18, 2018, 01:17:37 PM »
I also really enjoyed "What We Do in the Shadows".  I had paused the movie, and the "trivia" that popped up was that Taika Waititi had based his character on his mother.  I could see that inspiration shine through.

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: November 18, 2018, 04:11:11 PM »
This is a couple of months ago, but if anyone wants to see really dark humour...

The Death of Stalin is worth giving an evening to.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #292 on: November 18, 2018, 06:23:23 PM »
Had a Tarkovsky bluray fest last week...

Andrei Rublev, Solaris, Stalker.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #293 on: November 19, 2018, 10:07:41 PM »
Had a Tarkovsky bluray fest last week...

Andrei Rublev, Solaris, Stalker.

The amount of improvements they've been able to achieve over the old DVD releases is rather astonishing.  If you like that poetic style of cinema, Tarkovsky is incredible (and I do).

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #294 on: November 20, 2018, 08:00:33 AM »
Agree on the recs for Death of Stalin and What We Do in the Shadows.

For rather mindless, stylish action full of great period music, we just enjoyed Atomic Blonde.  It reminded me of the first John Wick movie, which I also unexpectedly really enjoyed.  Excellent fight scenes...Charlize Theron just being awesomely badass and constantly, visibly damaged from all the fights, yet still cool.

I had a revelation while watching it, though. I almost have 'face blindness' when it comes to Theron.  It took me more than 10 years of seeing her intermittently in movies before I registered that it was the same person.  And even now, when I know who she is and what movies she in, and generally admire her performances, I have trouble actually concentrating on her face/really 'seeing and absorbing' her face when I watch her.  Like, for me, her face is beautiful, but in such an incredibly generic way that it... cancels itself out or something? She's an effective actor, but I can't tell if that's b/c she's actually really skilled or if she just picks good, diverse roles. 

It's REALLY weird.  I will need to figure out if any other actors register similarly.  I can't think of any but there must be some.

James McAvoy, OTOH is extremely vivid in this film LOL.  Though I'm starting to get a little worried that he's fallen permanently down the 'blockbuster/comic book adaptation' black hole that seems to be sucking up the time and talents of every decent actor out there anymore.  Really wish that trend would stop.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2018, 07:45:10 PM »
Got a discount rental on "Incredibles 2." It was delightful although I think I liked the original a bit better.

Continuing my rewatch of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies and have made it up to Guardians of the Galaxy, which I always thoroughly enjoy.

Also, via the library, watched the original Total Recall, for what may be the first time. (I was not a big action-movie watcher at the time that it came out.) I had no idea exactly how weird that movie was. Highlights include a very young Sharon Stone doing an action scene in aerobic wear, Arnold Schwarzenegger "acting" and a plot that includes mutants, aliens, false memory implantation, and multiple secret identities. Apparently it was one of the last big blockbusters to rely on practical effects before CGI really took over, which was interesting to see.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #296 on: November 28, 2018, 05:40:18 AM »
Just started watching Castle Rock on Hulu. 3 episodes in so far so good

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: December 02, 2018, 04:15:17 PM »
Watched "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" via the library. I had not seen it in many years and had forgotten just how clever it was. I thought it really held up considering how long ago it was made, before digital effects were being used.

Also watched the live production of "Grease" from a couple of years back after being reminded of it going through some podcast archives (via the library, it's pretty hard to get otherwise). It's not quite the icon that the original movie was, but was a pretty spectacular work of live television (although in the original there were commercials so some of the quick-changes were not quite as quick as the DVD made it seem). It was neat to try to figure out how they were doing all of it. I really wished they had made a little documentary showing what was going on behind the scenes.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #298 on: December 02, 2018, 08:28:33 PM »
Watched "Oldboy," the original Korean version (although dubbed, which is disconcerting).  It was....not to my tastes.  I was very interested at first and very much wanted to see where it went, but then it just felt too over the top.  My partner stopped halfway through, and I'm glad he did, since it was my fault we got it.  I see it's well-reviewed by critics, but I just couldn't appreciate the references to Greek mythology and etc. when I couldn't get on board with the story.  I think if it had been just the slightest touch more subtle, I would have been more interested.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 09:50:02 PM by sui generis »

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #299 on: December 02, 2018, 09:19:27 PM »
^My favorite SK film is probably Castaway on the Moon; haven't seen Oldboy yet though

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!