Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 501237 times)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #100 on: March 16, 2018, 08:00:54 AM »
Not a movie, but Black Mirror... holy crap it is good (except for season 1, episode 1, which is just gross).  That's actually what's great about the show -- it's disturbing and challenging w/out being gross.

We're watching the whole thing for a second time. The problem with it is that I can't watch it too close to bedtime. It legit gives me nightmares.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 16, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
I watched Eye in the Sky with Helen Mirren Mirren and rather enjoyed it. 

I had no idea what it was about, I thought it was supposed to be an action film and for some reason thought Helen Mirren's character was supposed to be a villain.  I was pleasantly surprised at this movie about the ethics and human collateral involved in drone warfare. 

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: March 17, 2018, 06:59:28 AM »
Hey, it's St. Patrick's Day. My favorite two movies for today are still Darby O'Gill and the Little People and The Quiet Man. If you want a cute romance that's more contemporary, Leap Year is a good one.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2018, 04:35:04 AM »
Watched Anilitation on Netflix the other day. A good refreshing sci-fi.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2018, 09:51:07 PM »
Watched Anilitation on Netflix the other day. A good refreshing sci-fi.

I am looking forward to seeing that! I was very jealous when I heard Netflix in other countries had it already.

I just watched "A Little Chaos" which is a historical fiction inspired by the gardener who created the gardens at Versailles, Andre Le Notre. The movie invents a female gardener who he hires to create an outdoor ballroom for the gardens (which still exists). It's pretty fictionalized (le Notre was in his 70s at the time the events of the movie took place, and definitely not a hot young man having torrid affairs with attractive ladies) but I still enjoyed it a lot. Alan Rickman played Louis XIV and also directed, and it was one of his last major parts. Kate Winslet plays the female gardener, and I thought it was quite lovely that they worked together at the beginning of her career (Sense and Sensibility) and at the close of his. They have a couple of really great scenes together. It's not a perfect movie, but I thought it was a nice cozy Sunday night film.

I also saw Black Panther over the weekend. It is a really well-crafted superhero movie and does a lot of interesting things with African influences on the set design, score, costumes, etc.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2018, 05:58:17 PM »
Just watched Icarus, a documentary about Russian doping. It was.... amazing.

Finally got around to watching this, and it was shocking. I'm kind of amazed that the Russian scientist went public with the info... like how did this documentary even happen?  Anyway, it also inspired me to start re-reading 1984, which I haven't read since high school.

No kidding. And especially in the context of what we know about Russian meddling in our elections, this film, even though it's not about politics per se, made me uncomfortably aware that Putin is playing 3-dimensional chess with our US president, who think's he's playing checkers. Or hell, Candyland.

lemonlyman

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2018, 06:58:03 AM »
I watched Coco and Thor: Ragnarok over the weekend. Both were good!

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2018, 01:07:18 PM »
Watched Pitch Perfect 3 which was...slight. It had fun musical numbers, as you would expect. The plot was more or less about the challenge of moving on from college to the next phase of one's life, and it nicely let each character resolve something and move forward. I had had a bad week and needed something fun and cute, and it fit the bill.

Also watched 2 Guns this week. This was well done, I think, but not for me. Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg play partners involved in various unsavory activities. It was fairly violent and none of the characters were particularly admirable, although the protagonists were not quite as dark as everyone else. One of the reviews I read compared to Elmore Leonard's books and I think there was something to that.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2018, 03:44:43 PM »
Watched "The Ottoman Lieutenant" this weekend, and learned...that Turkey has beautiful scenery. That's pretty much it. I don't know much about the Ottoman Empire's part in WWI so was really interested to see the movie. Unfortunately, everything about the war is a very vague background to the romance between the Ottoman lieutenant (played very handsomely by one of the actors from Game of Thrones) and the American nurse. The Armenian Genocide is weirdly handled--the treatment of the Armenian population is mentioned but really underplayed although it does turn up in a plot point late in the movie.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 02, 2018, 09:03:17 AM »
Inherent Vice.

I'd put it in the "I didn't really understand it, but still enjoyed it quite a bit anyways" category.

A really odd movie in a lot of ways, but skillfully done. I've never read any Thomas Pynchon, perhaps that would have helped?

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2018, 08:18:33 PM »
Watched Thor: Ragnarok this evening. It was very funny and fun to see some characters from the Marvel Universe who have been off-screen for awhile.

I finally watch Thor Ragnarok, after missing it int he cinema. Fun movie, just what I expected/hoped for.

caffeine

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2018, 09:09:41 AM »
Not a movie, but I just finished Better Call Saul Season 3 over the weekend. I'm a huge fan of Breaking Bad, and I think I enjoy Better Call Saul more.

Next on my list is to find a way to watch Annihilation.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 04, 2018, 06:14:26 AM »
Just watched "Rules Don't Apply," a sort of odd-ball movie from a couple years back. The movie is ostensibly about Howard Hughes, played by Warren Beatty, but spends more time on the evolving relationship between one of the young men who worked for him and one of the young actresses that Hughes had on contract as a sort of harem. It was an interesting contrast from The Aviator which came out about 15 years ago, which really focused on Hughes' descent into mental illness. This version of Hughes (from a later period in his life) is eccentric and clearly has some kind of mental issues, but is much more functional than the Leonardo DiCaprio version. It really focuses more on the Hollywood side of Hughes' business (the aviation and oil businesses are referenced somewhat) so if you enjoy a homage to old-school Hollywood you would probably like this.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 04, 2018, 09:17:03 AM »
My wife and I just watched Hangman the other night. Boy does Al Pacino look old!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 04, 2018, 01:57:04 PM »
My wife and I just watched Hangman the other night. Boy does Al Pacino look old!

Well, he IS pretty old. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2018, 07:09:16 AM »
I watched 'Wonder Woman' and 'Victoria and Abdul.'

WW was okay. The script was blah and the characters were a bit stale. The cinematography was great though, and I liked the fight scenes.

VA was beautifully filmed too, and the script was better. The servile Indian gushing over the white people and kissing their feet made me cringe though. That said, the queen's loneliness and desperation for human connection was heartbreaking. And Ali Fazal is quite handsome.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2018, 08:10:27 AM »

Well, he IS pretty old.

Yeah, it was one of those things where you haven't seen them in a while so you know they have gotten old but their looks really changed since the last time you saw them. Before this the most recent movie I have seen him in was Two for the Money (2005)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2018, 12:40:44 PM »
Maybe it's because I'm still on the sofa with pneumonia, but I took a chance on "The Minions" and loved it. It starts with them in the primordial soup of the sea, shows how they evolve, how they end up in London--hysterical, if, like me, part of your family is English and drinks a lot of tea out of bone china cups (running joke)--and ends up with them meeting the child Gru. Just mindless fun. It was on my Amazon Prime for $3.99.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
Watched Coco last night. It was really lovely, especially the music. Apparently when they cast the little boy to play the lead, they didn't know he could sing...and ended up rewriting the script/score to depict him as a singer as well as a guitar-player.  I wished I knew more about Mexican popular culture...I could tell there were references I was missing.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2018, 09:53:19 PM »
Tonight was "Professor Marston and the Wonder Women" which is currently streaming on Hulu. I thought it was a charming, very unconventional love story about the man who created Wonder Woman and his two female partners (who in this version are also in a romantic relationship with each other, although I believe the historical record is not as clear on that). Fair warning, the movie is quite frank about their sexuality so you might not want to watch it with someone who would be uncomfortable with that. The two female leads are both great although I did not like the male lead's acting as much.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 12, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »
Just watched "Race" which is a biopic of Jesse Owens. It was pretty standard for its genre, although it was slightly odd in that there was a fairly sympathetic subplot about Leni Riefenstahl, the Nazi filmmaker. It was also way too long...it did not need to be two-plus hours for the events that it covered.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2018, 03:39:25 PM »
Just watched "Arrival" on my Amazon Prime. The fact that it was free should have been a tip-off...it seems like they make you pay for anything that is really good. Anyway, it was slow and boring, without much happening. I do get it that it was an artsy science-fiction movie more about ideas than about action. It wasn't terrible, but I think it was one of those movies that the critics love much more than the public does.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2018, 11:39:02 PM »
Been on a multi-year trek through the BFI top 250:

https://mubi.com/lists/sight-and-sound-top-250

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2018, 09:51:20 AM »
Just watched "Arrival" on my Amazon Prime. The fact that it was free should have been a tip-off...it seems like they make you pay for anything that is really good. Anyway, it was slow and boring, without much happening. I do get it that it was an artsy science-fiction movie more about ideas than about action. It wasn't terrible, but I think it was one of those movies that the critics love much more than the public does.

Huh.  I thought that was one of the best sci-fi films produced in ages.  There was plenty of action, and the plot seamlessly interwove through the show.  Different strokes I guess. . .

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2018, 10:16:57 AM »

Huh.  I thought that was one of the best sci-fi films produced in ages.  There was plenty of action, and the plot seamlessly interwove through the show.  Different strokes I guess. . .

Dammit, I was debating watching this but based on lizzzi's comment I decided not to. Now I'm back to square 1. Anyone for the tie breaker?

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2018, 10:57:49 AM »
Dammit, I was debating watching this but based on lizzzi's comment I decided not to. Now I'm back to square 1. Anyone for the tie breaker?

I thought it was pretty good, but I loved the short story it is based on. If you think SF action means that there has to be a bunch of explosions and physical action then you will be disappointed. If you are interested in human relationships and scientific discovery and some introspection, it may be more your thing. (In fact, they added more conflict and drama for the movie that wasn't in the original story.)

Agree.  I found it totally absorbing while I was watching it, but I have to admit it didn't stick with me in a strong way.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2018, 10:59:55 AM »
Arrival was the best movie I watched last year.  I won't say too much because a lot of the fun it being on the journey with the main character.  But I thought it had one of the few things most other movies don't - an original idea.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »
I liked Arrival, partially because I always like seeing Amy Adams act, and partially because I enjoyed seeing a science-fiction movie that wasn't also a shoot-em-up action movie (which are also fine, but a change of pace is nice.)

I saw "Steve Jobs" today and I thought it was very well done (this is the movie with Michael Fassbender, not Ashton Kutcher, as Jobs). It has a very unusual structure--basically the three acts are conversations that he has with people before the launches for the original Macintosh, the NeXT, and the iMac. There are also some very brief flashbacks to other events, for instance when he was inventing the original Apple computer, and when he got forced out of Apple for awhile. Aaron Sorkin wrote the dialogue, so it's terrific, and Kate Winslet plays Jobs' main foil--the 1980s hair and glasses were so effective that I didn't recognize her until the third act, when she looks more like herself. I would recommend it to people who enjoy seeing really good actors deliver really good dialogue, but it's probably more effective if you go into it knowing the outlines of his biography already.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2018, 09:40:06 PM »

Wow, didn't expect to raise so much discussion. Just gave my honest opinion, and have not changed my mind.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2018, 04:21:01 AM »
Watched Ready Player One last night.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10. Reasonably entertaining, but nothing special.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2018, 08:48:54 AM »

That's too bad, I remember really enjoying the book when I read it several years ago.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »
Watched "The Greatest Showman" this weekend. It is a musical loosely (VERY loosely) inspired by the biography of P.T. Barnum and starring Hugh Jackman, who aside from playing Wolverine in the X-men movies is a very talented song-and-dance man. If this is the kind of thing you like, you will REALLY like it. If it's not, you should probably stay far away. The critics apparently did not care for it much but I enjoyed the spectacle and the performances--in fact, I was sort of disappointed I saw it on home video, because it must have been quite something on the big screen. The circus setting lent itself to some pretty amazing song-and-dance numbers, including the big love duet which is choreographed as an aerial routine.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2018, 05:59:31 PM »
I took my teenage son to see "Love Simon" this weekend; we met up with a group of his friends from his school's Gay/Straight Alliance. There were a couple of other parents there as well. We all went out for pizza afterwards and had a great discussion. His best friend since kindergarten who came out this year felt really supported and the mom, who has been struggling with this, saw the love and support for her son and was cheered by it I think. It's a worthwhile movie, and I recommend it.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2018, 07:50:19 PM »
Watched "The Dressmaker" tonight on Amazon Prime which was...weird. It stars Kate Winslet as a Parisian dressmaker who returns to her dusty rural Australian hometown to find out the truth about her past. The movie has some really big tonal shifts--it starts out looking like a noir, then shifts to a quirky small town comedy, then again to a romantic drama, then finally to a black comedy (I guess?). The costumes are terrific, and Kate Winslet of course is excellent, as is Judy Davis as her mother, who veers between eccentricity and dementia at various points in the movie, and Liam Hemsworth has grown up into a very sexy and charming romantic lead (and it's fun to hear him use his Australian accent).

DenverDad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »
Went and saw "A Quiet Place" two weekends ago, and it was amazing. Just watched the documentary "Meru" about a first ascent alpine climb for the third time this weekend. If you are into documentaries, I'd suggest checking it out. Netflix has it streaming for free.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2018, 07:22:04 PM »
Meru is excellent, almost on par with Touching the Void

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2018, 12:49:39 AM »
Rented a bunch from the library the other day.
Your Name Japanese anime. Quite enjoyed it.
2004 Denzel Washington's The Manchurian Candidate since I've never seen it.
A Man Called Ove
and Moonlight.

(I was in the M section)

Went to the cheap theater and saw The Post the other night and Three Billboards a few days before that. Both were quite good. Next is The Darkest Hour maybe tomorrow since it's $2 Tuesday.

That's too bad, I remember really enjoying the book when I read it several years ago.
Ready Player One, the movie cannot be compared to the book. If you read the book, you will be dissapointed by the movie.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2018, 07:54:38 PM »
Saw Avengers: Infinity War Enjoyed it very much, but... you'll have to see it.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2018, 08:12:24 PM »
Rented a bunch from the library the other day.
Your Name Japanese anime. Quite enjoyed it.
2004 Denzel Washington's The Manchurian Candidate since I've never seen it.
A Man Called Ove
and Moonlight.

(I was in the M section)

Went to the cheap theater and saw The Post the other night and Three Billboards a few days before that. Both were quite good. Next is The Darkest Hour maybe tomorrow since it's $2 Tuesday.

Ready Player One, the movie cannot be compared to the book. If you read the book, you will be dissapointed by the movie.

Huh.  I thought that book was intensely irritating crap.  I'm actually wondering if the I'd like the movie more? 

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2018, 08:45:56 PM »
Huh.  I thought that book was intensely irritating crap.  I'm actually wondering if the I'd like the movie more?

You're not the first person I have heard did not enjoy the book. I am of the 20% who did not enjoy it, but mostly because it deviated too much from the book. It's hard for me to separate books and the movie they become. Compare The Bourne Identity for where I'm coming from. Blech.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2018, 09:42:05 PM »

You're not the first person I have heard did not enjoy the book. I am of the 20% who did not enjoy it, but mostly because it deviated too much from the book. It's hard for me to separate books and the movie they become. Compare The Bourne Identity for where I'm coming from. Blech.

I suppose you hate Kubrick's "The Shining" for the same reason?  It deviated massively from the book.  Actually all of his movies deviated substantially from their source material.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2018, 10:24:11 PM »
Watched "The Shape of Water" last night.  Can someone tell me why the fish-man couldn't just be released into the water at the waters edge, like beach or something?  Wtf.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2018, 12:14:32 AM »
I suppose you hate Kubrick's "The Shining" for the same reason?  It deviated massively from the book.  Actually all of his movies deviated substantially from their source material.
p.s. I haven't read all books for all adaptations. Fair to note that King hated the movie.

It's not like Ready Player One, with screenplay co-written by the author, is a sacred text. I just didn't enjoy it compared to the book. I suppose it is important to note there was a lot of trouble in securing rights to a lot of the references and that is why there were so many changes, apparently.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2018, 09:33:19 AM »
p.s. I haven't read all books for all adaptations. Fair to note that King hated the movie.

It's not like Ready Player One, with screenplay co-written by the author, is a sacred text. I just didn't enjoy it compared to the book. I suppose it is important to note there was a lot of trouble in securing rights to a lot of the references and that is why there were so many changes, apparently.

You said earlier it's hard for you to separate books from the movies they become, as a general statement.  The implication is that you have a hard time enjoying a movie that deviates significantly from the source material.  Is that not correct, did I misunderstand what you were trying to say?

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2018, 05:02:22 PM »
You said earlier it's hard for you to separate books from the movies they become, as a general statement.  The implication is that you have a hard time enjoying a movie that deviates significantly from the source material.  Is that not correct, did I misunderstand what you were trying to say?

My statement amended to "it's hard for me to separate books from the movies for books I've actually read. Why do you care what I think? Seen any movies lately?

Saw The Darkest Hour today. I should really watch these Academy award and nominated movies earlier. Gary Oldman, bravo.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2018, 06:01:30 PM »

My statement amended to "it's hard for me to separate books from the movies for books I've actually read. Why do you care what I think? Seen any movies lately?

Saw The Darkest Hour today. I should really watch these Academy award and nominated movies earlier. Gary Oldman, bravo.

Just trying to engage in a dialog, that's all.  I've seen a ton of movies and I like to talk about them with people, especially if others have interesting ideas or viewpoints I hadn't considered before.  I've never had a hard time separating a movie from books (or comic books for that matter).  People sometimes say the book is always better than the movie, and I find that might be true for things like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or even Pride and Prejudice or Lord of the Rings, it is in fact not true in many other cases.  The Shining, Barry Lyndon, Blade Runner, The Godfather, Psycho, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Tarkvosky's Solaris, There Will be Blood - all ended up being much better than their rather average source material. 

Anyway, to your other question - yes, I finally got through the most recent Alien movies, which seemed way more interesting as just scifi movies and not really scary to me at all.  And it was cool to watch Fassbinder's arc from Adam to Walter in the android(s) role(s).  Watched Infinity War at the theater with my daughter (we both loved it), The Shape of Water (good but not great), Call My By Your Name (holy crap that movie was amazing, a real emotional punch in the gut). 

Before that I'd been watching some of the 4k remasters that have been making it to Bluray:

- A Night at the Opera (Marx Brothers, was great, man these guys are part acrobats and quite good musicians too)
- All About Eve (Eve is a sneaky little b!tch is what Eve is)
- Do the Right Thing (can't believe I missed it during it's original release)
- Blade Runner (saw the actual 4k disc on my 4k HT setup - wow, just stunning)
- Blade Runner 2049 (a good effort but just doesn't match the original)
- The Apartment (clearly an inspiration for the series Mad Men)
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (holy crap, people can be nasty, nasty, nasty to each other)

A few that I plan to watch in the near future:  The Virgin Suicides, Jabberwocky, Tom Jones, The Passion of Joan of Arc (3rd time), Get Out, Don't Look Now, Dragon Inn, a few others. 

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2018, 09:07:05 AM »
I have to admit...if I know a book is going to be a movie (like The Martian), I will usually watch the movie first and read the book second. I have less often been disappointed that way, and it's fun to see the world of the movie expanded.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »
Recently watched Austenland, which came out about five years ago. It's about a woman who goes to a "Jane Austen theme resort." The plot is somewhat problematic when you think about it too hard--the "Jane Austen experience" involves faux romance with paid actors--but overall it was light and fun. It would be perfect with a cup of tea on a rainy evening.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: May 05, 2018, 12:32:27 PM »
Also just watched "Three Days of the Condor" which is a Robert Redford spy thriller from the 1970s. Robert Redford is attractive at any age, but I now understand why he was considered such a heart-throb in his younger years. Also realized I had never seen Faye Dunaway in anything as a young woman, or for that matter Max von Sydow as anything but a very elderly man. Also, the 1970s movie versions of the CIA's computer systems were hilarious.

And "Ali and Nino" which is set in Azerbaijan during WWI--it's a love story between a young couple...one Muslim and one Christian. I really liked it as I knew absolutely nothing of the history of that area other than the broadest outlines. The scenery is spectacular and the actors all did a great job. My main complaint was that it went through a lot of plot really fast and I wished they had spent more time on some plot points. For instance, Nino, the young Christian woman, goes to stay with her husband's family in Tehran at one point when Azerbaijan is getting dangerous, and has a very difficult time with the conservative Muslim standards for women there. That gets covered in about two minutes, and I would have liked to know more.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 08:49:30 PM by Noodle »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »
We’re about two-thirds of the way through Loving Vincent (Hulu). Husband had a rough workday and needed an early bedtime so we’ll finish it tomorrow. We’re both amazed at the effort that went into this movie: every frame was hand-painted on canvas. It’s stunning.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!