Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 501169 times)

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
What movies have you been watching?
« on: January 01, 2018, 10:27:35 AM »
The thread on TV shows has given me some interesting suggestions! Hoping for similar when it comes to movies.

Other than the really big blockbusters, I had sort of drifted away from movies for awhile...as current TV develops interesting and well-acted characters who you get to see play out over many weeks or years, two hours seems really brief. However, this year I started watching more movies and being more experimental...after all, if it's not perfectly to your taste, a film is just a short commitment.  A few were much better than the reviews had led me to believe, most were interesting in some ways, and only a few were entirely forgettable.

My three surprise favorites from the year:

Spiderman: Homecoming. I do follow the Marvel superhero movies but Spiderman has never been one of my favorite characters. This time they cast a young man who actually played a believable teenager, and the whole movie was just charming and very funny.

Passengers: This got pretty bad reviews so I wasn't expecting much but I really enjoyed it! Jennifer Lawrence did a terrific job as always as a stranded starship passenger, and Chris Pratt was perfectly fine as her traveling companion.

Hollow Crown: Richard II: Technically this was broadcast on the BBC but it had the feel of a movie. I was unfamiliar with the play and not expecting much. Ben Whishaw as Richard was amazing, the rest of the cast was very strong (the future Henry IV doesn't get all that many scenes but he does a lot with a little) and I really liked the BBC's approach to film on location and use modern cinematic techniques to make the play flow for modern viewers.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 01:42:49 PM »
+1 for Passengers, and ditto to everything Noodle said about it.

Other than that, I've been watching holiday movies that I had not seen before--so maybe people will not be interested. But I liked the Santa Clause and the Santa Clause 2...and I got the DVDs of the two Murdoch Mysteries Christmas movies--Once Upon a Murdoch Christmas and A Merry Murdoch Christmas. Just entertaining fluff.

Also took a look at A Child's Christmas in Wales, and a really odd but heartwarming documentary called Believe--Story of the Bearded Santas. Worth watching for the sleigh that one Santa made, if nothing else. Coolest thing I've seen since the '57 T-bird. Or the Millennium Falcon.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 03:42:13 AM »
Watched Mudbound yesterday on Netflix original and it was very good.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 04:16:28 AM »
Also watched the Discovery another Netflix Original. Stared Robert Redford and was a bit weird about trying to figure out where you go after death. It was slow but made you think a bit about that whole subject but had an ending that I did not like. 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 05:18:09 AM »
I liked everything about Passengers except the ending . . . I could dream up better endings.

Watched The Dressmaker with my other half over break and we both really enjoyed it. While it looks like a chick flick on the cover, it's got some Tarantino-style twists and turns.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 07:57:09 AM »
I agree about The Dressmaker.  I'm not a chick flick person, but it was fun.

If you have Amazon Prime, I enjoyed Remember (with Christopher Plummer) and What We Do in the Shadows (a NZ mockumentary about vampires). They are not from 2017, but are still pretty recent.

I recently got a moviepass through Costco, so I plan to see more movies (at the theater) than ever this year.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 08:06:45 AM »
I have watched a fair number of thos year’s award nominated films. This year sucks for serious dramas of quality.

I dont watch Star anything or Super Hero anything or war films, so by the time you remove all of those, there are few films left.

Of the 2017 films, I think my favorites are LadyBird, about a high school girl’s quest to move away from her home town of Sacremento, California. I also loved Wind River, and am sorry I didnt see it on the big screen. The Big Sick was good.

I could reccomend others but I know people here wont like
The Florida Project.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 01:17:33 PM »
My New Year's Eve watch was "Free State of Jones" which I thought was worth a watch but not perfect. It is based on a real story of a Unionist Mississippi farmer, Newton Knight, who starts a rebellion against the Confederacy during the Civil War. It was fascinating to see an unusual take on the Civil War, especially given the national conversations lately--I am always happy to see depictions that show the complexity of the war and the period, which have really been oversimplified in popular media. I did wish that the movie had slowed down a bit and spent more time on the African-American characters (Knight allied with runaway slaves during the war and was an advocate for free blacks during Reconstruction--he also married a black woman) and also Knight's family life. He had a black family and a white family and they all lived together on the family property--amicably enough that some of the children (step-siblings, not blood relations) married each other.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 01:41:38 PM »
I have watched a fair number of thos year’s award nominated films. This year sucks for serious dramas of quality.

I dont watch Star anything or Super Hero anything or war films, so by the time you remove all of those, there are few films left.

Of the 2017 films, I think my favorites are LadyBird, about a high school girl’s quest to move away from her home town of Sacremento, California. I also loved Wind River, and am sorry I didnt see it on the big screen. The Big Sick was good.

The Florida Project.

I can't wait to see The Florida Project.

I also thought Wind River was so good, but I unfortunately saw it one day after reading the memoir "Hunger" by Roxane Gay.   I'm not easily triggered, but two
Spoiler: show
horrifying gang assaults on young girls
in two days was too much for me.  I actually had trouble sleeping that night and I now kind of wish I had known what Wind River was about so I could have left the room during that sequence.  Because now I can't unsee it.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 02:06:13 PM »

The Florida Project.

I also thought Wind River was so good, but I unfortunately saw it one day after reading the memoir "Hunger" by Roxane Gay.   I'm not easily triggered, but two
in two days was too much for me.  I actually had trouble sleeping that night and I now kind of wish I had known what Wind River was about so I could have left the room during that sequence.  Because now I can't unsee it.

Yes, I DID actually leave the room during that scene.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 05:06:47 PM »
Arrival and Predestination are two sci-fi flicks that I've recently seen that were really mentally rewarding.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 01:59:38 PM by GuitarStv »

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 06:45:57 PM »
I just watched Dragonslayer after recording it off the Movies! channel I get for free with my antenna. That movie was made back when Disney actually had some balls. It really subverts the whole hero narrative for fantasy films, especially at the end. I understand this movie didn't do well in theaters back in the day, but I thought it was top notch.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 09:32:18 PM »
+1 for Passengers, and ditto to everything Noodle said about it.

Other than that, I've been watching holiday movies that I had not seen before--so maybe people will not be interested. But I liked the Santa Clause and the Santa Clause 2...and I got the DVDs of the two Murdoch Mysteries Christmas movies--Once Upon a Murdoch Christmas and A Merry Murdoch Christmas. Just entertaining fluff.

Also took a look at A Child's Christmas in Wales, and a really odd but heartwarming documentary called Believe--Story of the Bearded Santas. Worth watching for the sleigh that one Santa made, if nothing else. Coolest thing I've seen since the '57 T-bird. Or the Millennium Falcon.

I watched The Holiday for the first time this year. It is a romantic comedy about two women, one English and one from Los Angeles, who do a home exchange over the winter holidays and each meet someone while they are away. Kate Winslet is terrific as one of the women and Cameron Diaz is fine as the other (I thought Kate had the more interesting subplot).

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2018, 04:11:32 PM »
Tried watching Arrival on Hulu. Was so good I fell asleep! Next............

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2018, 04:15:03 PM »

But you missed out on the mind-bending twist ending!  Admittedly, Arrival was not rife with action, but we certainly thought it was intellectually engaging.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2018, 06:24:44 AM »
Have been watching the mini series Hell on Wheels on Netflix! OMG, this is a post Civil War drama on building a railroad and all the cut throat evil deals and corruption that goes along with all of that from top to the bottom. It is a melting pot of ex slaves, prostitutes, native Indians, Irish, English and others. Continuous upheaval, guns, arrows, murder, train wrecks, robberies, hangings, betrayal. Love, hate and mistrust. Have watched season 1 and about 4 episodes of season 2. Five seasons in all.

Also, watched Godless and that was very good too!

Both are westerns and normally you couldn't get me to watch a western if you paid me a million dollars but these movies are awesome and really makes you realize how hard life was back in the 1800's.

BlueMR2

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 08:34:46 AM »
Finally got around to watching the Hobbitt trilogy for the first time.  Did not like how it was done.  Seems like it was an attempt to stretch the fun/light book into an epic LOTR scale series.

Oh, and of course I watched Die Hard 1 through 4 in one large binge for Christmas!  :-)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 08:34:18 AM »
Agree with BlueMR2 about the Hobbit trilogy. It's more fun to just read the book.

I'm still watching some holiday movies that I had never seen. It may be getting a little late in the season--I'm probably done until next year. Anyway,  I watched The Santa Clause 3  last night and didn't really expect much--but surprisingly found it fun and entertaining. I thought Santa was a little slow to figure out what Jack Frost was up to, but hey. The Santa Clause was the best, The Santa Clause 2 still fun though not quite as good, and The Santa Clause 3 okay, and nice to see the end of the trilogy. Nice movies you could watch with your family. Then I watched "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" with Jim Carrey as the Grinch. It was entertaining and watchable, I guess, but totally lacking in the charm of the Doctor Seuss book. The story was stretched out and padded too much, the Grinch was often just so ugly and off-putting, the Who people were weirdly creepy looking, and there were one or two vulgarities that I didn't think needed to be in there. (The Who's had a Christmas party where they were all putting their keys in a bowl--I guess they were going to swap partners or something--icky and no relation to the story at all.) I seem to remember a cartoon movie that was true to the story, and I would look for that or else just buy the book and have it on the coffee table during the Christmas season.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2018, 11:01:46 AM »

The Florida Project.

Yes, I DID actually leave the room during that scene.

The television show Longmire (on Netflix now) also did a version of this particular storyline. I believe it was based on a real-life crime on one of the Western reservations. Theirs is less graphic but also goes more in-depth on the complicated and sometimes dysfunctional relationship between the different law enforcement agencies connected with the reservations and how hard it makes it to prosecute criminals.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 06:29:04 AM »

But you missed out on the mind-bending twist ending!  Admittedly, Arrival was not rife with action, but we certainly thought it was intellectually engaging.

I went back and watched the rest of it. Admittedly there were some parts I liked but yea...scale of 5 maybe a 2.5

Been enjoying Godless....

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 07:21:16 AM »
I enjoyed Godless too.  I like that it is (hopefully) a finite story, so there won't be any ridiculous story twists trying to fill up a second and third and fourth season.  I tend to use up some of my free brain-space with useless trivia about actors (I have NO idea why), and I found it interesting that three of the main characters are played by British actors.  How in the world do people change their accents so well?  I can't wrap my head around it.

The television show Longmire (on Netflix now) also did a version of this particular storyline. I believe it was based on a real-life crime on one of the Western reservations. Theirs is less graphic but also goes more in-depth on the complicated and sometimes dysfunctional relationship between the different law enforcement agencies connected with the reservations and how hard it makes it to prosecute criminals.

The first few seasons of Longmire were really good, I thought.  It's a little slow-moving, but it's a good story, and I honestly enjoy how wholesome the main characters are. (ETA: "Wholesome" in that they're actually decent people.  I'm tired of shows where the main character is a drug dealer or a shady business exec or the leader of a gang who kills people in the "bad" rival gang, but they all have a really good reason and they're doing it for their family.)  The storyline about the abuse of girls on the rez was rough - like Noodle says, the law enforcement agencies have dysfunctional and very antagonistic relationships.

We also just watched The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.  Admittedly, it is very different from the short story it's based on, and different again from the old Danny Kaye movie, but I liked it.  It made me reconsider how I use up my free time (like wasting it on actor trivia!) without any terrible things happening to anyone.  There are enough terrible things that happen in the real world that I don't really like watching them in my entertainment.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 08:48:47 AM by chaskavitch »

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 09:45:16 AM »
Any good movies watched with the cold weather having set in so many places?

I watched "Jackie" which was the Jackie Kennedy movie from a couple of years ago. I'm not sure if it was good, but it was very interesting. It's framed by an interview that Jackie gave to Life magazine shortly after the assassination, and mostly focused on the assassination and immediate aftermath, and also Jackie's concern about protecting her husband's legacy. It's very impressionistic rather than being a traditional narrative. You see JFK only in brief flashbacks although Bobby Kennedy has a fairly prominent role. Natalie Portman does a great job with the title role. I should mention that the actual assassination scene is very brief but quite graphic in that moment, for those who would have a concern about that.

After going with my parents to see The Post at their request, I went back and rewatched Spotlight (the movie about how the Boston Globe covered the Catholic sex abuse scandal). The subject matter is difficult, but the acting is really good and I have heard that it is considered one of the most accurate movies about newspaper reporting. Interesting connection with The Post because the son of Ben Bradlee (Washington Post editor during the Pentagon Papers and Watergate) was the supervising editor for the team that wrote the sexual abuse story...I guess Pulitzers run in the family!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:47:13 AM by Noodle »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 12:16:35 PM »
WE saw “I, Tonya” in the theaters this week. It was great entertainment!

It is told from several points of view in a mix of interviews and action scenes. It has an arch, irreverant tone but yet still is respectful to Tonya. The girl has a challenging upbringing.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 07:44:28 PM by iris lily »

J Boogie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
Two movies that I found incredible recently, and they're both streamable through various services.

Silence (2016)

Moonlight (2016)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 01:59:53 PM »
Arrival and Predestination are two sci-fi flicks that I've recently seen that were really mentally rewarding.

Recently watched 'Antimatter'.  Also pretty good sci-fi.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 07:43:17 PM »
Two movies that I found incredible recently, and they're both streamable through various services.

Silence (2016)

Moonlight (2016)
Moonlight was the Oscar film from  last year. It was extremely moving.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 08:45:07 AM by iris lily »

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2018, 08:07:33 AM »
Have 3 more episodes of Hell on Wheels (Netflix). All I can say is WOW, this show is awesome! 58 episodes in all!

Anyone watch Peeky Blinders? Considering watching it next.

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2018, 12:23:12 PM »
Still Life: A Three Pines Mystery. I watched this on the Acorn channel through my Amazon Prime. It is the first and only of Louise Penney's mysteries to be made into a movie. It was OK--not fabulous--but OK.  If you are an Inspector Gamache fan, I'd watch it just for completion, if nothing else.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 08:21:07 AM »
Re-watched Primer on Netflix last night, really good low budget sci-fi movie.

+1

It's tough to do a good time travel story.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 02:50:32 PM »
Have 3 more episodes of Hell on Wheels (Netflix). All I can say is WOW, this show is awesome! 58 episodes in all!

Anyone watch Peeky Blinders? Considering watching it next.

Finished first 3 seasons of Hell on Wheels! So good. Also watching Fargo on Hulu

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »
I sat down and intended to watch the first ~20 minutes of Shaun of the Dead last night.  Yeah, I watched the whole thing.  It remains excellent.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 09:53:50 PM »
If your tastes would run to a vampire movie that is short (VERY short) on action but long on Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston lounging around looking languidly beautiful, I recommend "Only Lovers Left Alive."

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 08:05:39 AM »
If your tastes would run to a vampire movie that is short (VERY short) on action but long on Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston lounging around looking languidly beautiful, I recommend "Only Lovers Left Alive."

That is one of our favorite movies of all time! Not because of the vampire angle, so much, but because in a weird way, it perfectly captures and romanticizes so many aspects of both our personalities and our relationship.  The disgust with humanity (punctuated by occasional delight), the rage at anti-intellectualism, the book collections, the wonder and awe about the the natural world, the love of grand romantic gestures, the collecting of hand-made musical instruments, the family issues?

IT'S LIKE JIM JARMUSCH KNOWS US LOL! (Minus the eternal life and blood-drinking, of course).

Seriously, the conversation where they are trying to fix the wiring in Hiddleston's house and get distracted by the cool mushroom?

THAT IS US.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »

+1

Edge of Tomorrow (which was released on video as Live, Die, Repeat) is really well done. I didn't love the ending, but overall liked it very much! Even if you aren't normally a Tom Cruise fan it's worth a try...he is playing against his usual action-hero type.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 03:23:43 PM »
On Netflix watched Meeks Cutoff. One of the worst movies I have ever watched. Love the idea of what the movie was about but the movie was monotonous, there wasn't much learning about the characters and the ending was one that left you up in the air and in all, the whole movie sucked! I despised wasting 1 hour and 40 some odd minutes of my life watching it! The odd thing is that it was rated almost 5 stars! Guess I am out in left field but BLEH to that movie!

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 06:47:18 PM »

That is one of our favorite movies of all time! Not because of the vampire angle, so much, but because in a weird way, it perfectly captures and romanticizes so many aspects of both our personalities and our relationship.  The disgust with humanity (punctuated by occasional delight), the rage at anti-intellectualism, the book collections, the wonder and awe about the the natural world, the love of grand romantic gestures, the collecting of hand-made musical instruments, the family issues?

IT'S LIKE JIM JARMUSCH KNOWS US LOL! (Minus the eternal life and blood-drinking, of course).

Seriously, the conversation where they are trying to fix the wiring in Hiddleston's house and get distracted by the cool mushroom?

THAT IS US.

This thread made me seek out a clip of this film. It is visually stylish, so I have reserved it at the library. I think I will like it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:24:53 PM by iris lily »

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 08:26:19 PM »

+1

If you haven't already, you should check out Upstream Color which is Carruth's more recent film (and it's on Netflix). Carruth tries to be a bit too inscrutable sometimes (especially in Primer, though to be fair, time travel would be very confusing regardless) but all is forgiven for the general idea behind his newer film.

Noodle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2018, 08:27:59 PM »
My favorite line in Only Lovers Left Alive was when Tilda Swinton's younger sister, also a vampire, is complaining about not feeling well after drinking the blood of one of Tom Hiddleston's rock musician friends and Tilda says, "Well, you should have known better...he's in the music industry."

I wouldn't exactly say I liked the movie, but it was really memorable and I thought it was well-worth my time.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2018, 08:25:00 AM »
My favorite line in Only Lovers Left Alive was when Tilda Swinton's younger sister, also a vampire, is complaining about not feeling well after drinking the blood of one of Tom Hiddleston's rock musician friends and Tilda says, "Well, you should have known better...he's in the music industry."

I wouldn't exactly say I liked the movie, but it was really memorable and I thought it was well-worth my time.

There are a lot of really funny lines in it.  Given how swoony and poker-faced it looks on the surface, it's got a lot of low-key comedy. 

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 10:36:50 AM »

Hollow Crown: Richard II: Technically this was broadcast on the BBC but it had the feel of a movie. I was unfamiliar with the play and not expecting much. Ben Whishaw as Richard was amazing, the rest of the cast was very strong (the future Henry IV doesn't get all that many scenes but he does a lot with a little) and I really liked the BBC's approach to film on location and use modern cinematic techniques to make the play flow for modern viewers.

Ben Whishaw was incredible in that. He's a very talented actor. The play isn't one I know well, but his interpretation was not what I was expecting.

The Only Lovers Left Alive is a great movie. Once again, it was not what I expected, but that made it sweeter. :)

I binged on all three Lord of the Rings movies this weekend.

lost_in_the_endless_aisle

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 06:39:50 PM »

+1

If you haven't already, you should check out Upstream Color which is Carruth's more recent film (and it's on Netflix). Carruth tries to be a bit too inscrutable sometimes (especially in Primer, though to be fair, time travel would be very confusing regardless) but all is forgiven for the general idea behind his newer film.

Not the biggest fan of Upstream Color.  I really wanted to like it, and maybe if I go back to it with a more opened mind, I may. It just didn't pull me in.  Cool idea, just couldn't get interested in it.

I re-watched Moonrise Kingdom yesterday, such a great film.
Fair enough, UC is uncompromising and lurches around very slowly at times, so I'd expect some correlations between people who like (or dislike) that along with Tree of Life and The Thin Red Line. I'm guessing Synecdoche, New York might be another film that partially fits in that class (I'd also like to watch Mother when there is a cheap/free option...).

I hate absolutely hate everything Wes Anderson has done except for Moonrise Kingdom, which I thought was rather good.

limeandpepper

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2018, 12:38:33 AM »
I watched Coco recently, it was lovely. Beautiful visuals and storytelling (the basic plot isn't anything new but the way they delivered it was fabulous). I thought the trailer was boring and was nearly not going to watch the movie, but I'm so glad I did.

Samuel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2018, 10:09:19 AM »
Somehow I missed Christopher Nolan's 2006 movie The Prestige. It's now on Netflix. Had no idea what to expect but really liked it. Even if it wasn't quite up to the level of other Nolan movies I love a film you spend the next several hours mentally dissecting.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2018, 10:23:35 AM »
Somehow I missed Christopher Nolan's 2006 movie The Prestige. It's now on Netflix. Had no idea what to expect but really liked it. Even if it wasn't quite up to the level of other Nolan movies I love a film you spend the next several hours mentally dissecting.
+1 Highly recommended.  This was probably the first movie I saw (at 15) that truly blew me away.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 11:02:14 AM »
I actually watched a movie "Vengeance" with make a movie a week Nicholas Cage. It was actually pretty good but the beginning is very hard to watch so if you have young ones around I'd suggest they dont see it , its brutal. Anyhow for what he has been making it was a good action / Drama flick on netflix. Good B movie

deek

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2018, 11:22:22 AM »
I'm in the middle of all the Lethal Weapons on Netflix. I love those movies.

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2018, 11:39:42 AM »
Iron Sky
Moon Nazis. Pure low-budget awesome.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 12:13:01 PM »
I went to see 3 Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri this week, and it was a really good movie.  I don't usually watch dramas, but it was a mix of drama and black comedy, and I can do black comedy.  I liked it enough I may go again today (thanks, moviepass).

I went to it having no clue what it was about, only knew it had certain actors (my goal is to just go see as many movies as I can this year, some I want to see, and some I'll see just because they are playing).  As I pulled into the parking lot, the guy on the radio was saying it was a great movie, highly rated, won a bunch of awards, etc. 

As I left the theater, and older gentleman, looking at the poster boards outside, asked which movie I saw and if I liked it.  I told him, but added, "as long as you don't mind the "really bad word cussing", it's great!"  Not sure if he saw it (his wife was in the car), but I hope he liked it if they did.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 05:41:14 PM »
I thought Three Billboards was not as good as all of the critics think it is.

The small town cop - hillbilly schtick gets old. Notice how the Good People had black friends and The Bad People just beat up on the black people.

I found a few things disconcerting such as the extlreme beauty of a couple of the young women. They dont belong in a world that Francis McDormand and John Hawkes inhabit. And how’d Woody Harrelson get that hot Aussie chick? Incongruous.

The naural scenery was inauthentic. I live in Missouri. Its not as though they cant come to the Ozark foothills and shoot a few canned scenes.

I did like Woody Harrelson’s performance and his story line.

It is odd that I missed the black comedy aspect of this film because usually I am all over that,  but I am not arguing that point of a poster above because many viewers have mentioned the black comedy tone. Because I missed it, that could account for my kinda “enh” opinion of this film.

I thought it was a decent film and it is fine with me that it got an Oscar nomination, but there were a couple better ones I saw this year. Lady Bird and I Tonya to name two.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 08:12:05 AM by iris lily »

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2018, 08:17:35 AM »
Ok, so I got Only Lovers Left Alive from the library. it was delicious! What great settings, Tangiers and decaying Detroit! Wonderful,
 backdrop for these stylish but dusty and dishelveled  vampires. I lived the clothes and the sets, loved!!!I have seen Tom Hiddleston in many things but he is instantly forgettable to me until this film. His makeup and dress were perfect.

I read that they all wore wigs and along with the human hair was interwoven Yak hair to give them a wild look.

I very much miss the Internet Movie Data Base where I could ask questions about tiny aspects of the film such as:

Why did they wear gloves out in public, was that just a fashion statement?

Why did Eve read the same books she packed for her trip to
Detroit?

Edited to add: ths film got no Oscar nominatins for art direction, costumes, or soundtrack, all of which MADE the film. That was a lack...

And finally, as an MMM issue, how do vampires get their money, and why do they always seem to have so much of it?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:27:04 AM by iris lily »