Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 505818 times)

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #1850 on: August 21, 2022, 04:45:21 PM »
The Humans. I admit, I got it simply because Amy Schumer is in it. So far it is slow, but OK. Lots of dialog between relatives stuck together in a Manhattan apartment for a get-together.   Only have watched 20 minutes so far. It is supposed to get scary soon!

Oh, Amy has no makeup on, it seems, is quite chubby, and is a Lesbian in this movie. She looks pretty good even without makeup.

OK, I went back for round 2. Actually I restarted it and watched the first 20 minutes again, and noticed I had missed some things. 

It is ALL dialog, by the way. Which is fine with me, but YMMV.

Never did see any horror. The DVD was freezing half way through, so I had to skip ahead, then I fell asleep (food coma) and woke up to see the last 10 minutes. 

What I saw I liked. No smash bang. Lots of dialog. It was originally a play on Broadway.     

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1851 on: August 22, 2022, 01:14:31 PM »
Watched "The American President" last week. Not sure whether to cry or laugh at the fact that the two main legislative topics are gun control and global warming.

Regardless, I have had this movie in my top tier list for many years. I feel there are a couple real valuable lessons buried in it.

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1852 on: August 22, 2022, 08:11:15 PM »
I'm listening to a podcast that specializes in talking about movies, mostly older, that focus on women and/or women's issues; some I had seen many years ago and others were new to me. So far I have watched Baby Boom, The Pajama Game, Mr. Mom, Beaches, Love Story, and Troop Beverly Hills. Of those, surprisingly, I thought Troop Beverly Hills aged the best. Obviously there was some humor a scriptwriter wouldn't include today, but overall it's still a charming movie.

Also have watched a few things on Netflix. I was so-so on the new Persuasion movie, but really liked "The Wedding Season" about an Indian couple who start out fake-dating to fend off their parents but then discover they really like each other. Also somehow discovered I had never seen the older movie "Practical Magic." I liked it a lot (I think I had gotten it mixed up with Witches of Eastwick.)

Practical Magic is a favourite of mine, I will always take the opportunity to watch that.

I saw Where the Crawdads Sing in the theatre today, first time in a theatre in years.  I enjoyed the movie, it was a great adaptation of the book.

I watched Thirteen Lives last week, for a movie where you think you already know the story, it had some interesting new information for me, and I found the whole thing riveting.  That one is on Prime. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1853 on: August 24, 2022, 06:16:03 AM »
I'm listening to a podcast that specializes in talking about movies, mostly older, that focus on women and/or women's issues; some I had seen many years ago and others were new to me. So far I have watched Baby Boom, The Pajama Game, Mr. Mom, Beaches, Love Story, and Troop Beverly Hills. Of those, surprisingly, I thought Troop Beverly Hills aged the best. Obviously there was some humor a scriptwriter wouldn't include today, but overall it's still a charming movie.

Also have watched a few things on Netflix. I was so-so on the new Persuasion movie, but really liked "The Wedding Season" about an Indian couple who start out fake-dating to fend off their parents but then discover they really like each other. Also somehow discovered I had never seen the older movie "Practical Magic." I liked it a lot (I think I had gotten it mixed up with Witches of Eastwick.)

Practical Magic is a favourite of mine, I will always take the opportunity to watch that.

I saw Where the Crawdads Sing in the theatre today, first time in a theatre in years.  I enjoyed the movie, it was a great adaptation of the book.

I watched Thirteen Lives last week, for a movie where you think you already know the story, it had some interesting new information for me, and I found the whole thing riveting.  That one is on Prime.

I'm still mad at the world for Aidan Quinn not becoming a much bigger star.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1854 on: August 25, 2022, 07:31:15 AM »

Hey, everyone, I have a chance to see The Lost Highway at a one time only showing this Saturday at a big screen theater. $8 senior price.  Should I go?

It's by David Lynch. I liked his other movies Eraserhead and Blue Velvet.   
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 07:42:33 AM by slackmax »

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1855 on: August 25, 2022, 08:02:00 AM »

Hey, everyone, I have a chance to see The Lost Highway at a one time only showing this Saturday at a big screen theater. $8 senior price.  Should I go?

If you liked Eraserhead I think you will be open to Lost Highway.  Lost Highway is less coherent than Blue Velvet, more like Mullholland Drive (if you've seen that one).  I think Lynch is a great filmmaker (compared to sometimes being iffy as a screenwriter or showrunner) so would definitely take the opportunity to watch it on a big screen.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1856 on: August 25, 2022, 08:04:49 AM »

Well, it's David Lynch, so you know what you're in for...  well done, disturbing, unique, confusing, and your mind will be painfully spinning trying to make sense of it long after.  Not sure if that's considered high praise, I don't need to see it again, but I think I'm glad I saw it.  I think I found something on YouTube that explained some things at some point, but like Twin Peaks, it is mostly about the experience and not rationalizing the story.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1857 on: August 25, 2022, 09:11:36 AM »
"Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris" - a pleasant summer escapist type movie, although it was about 30 minutes too long. 

What I really enjoyed was seeing the lead actress, Lesley Manville play a charwoman in 1950s England which was a huge contrast with her role in "Let Him Go" where she played an evil matriarch in rural southwest U.S.  I'm a big fan, her acting range is incredible.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1858 on: August 25, 2022, 09:29:33 AM »
"Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris" - a pleasant summer escapist type movie, although it was about 30 minutes too long. 

What I really enjoyed was seeing the lead actress, Lesley Manville play a charwoman in 1950s England which was a huge contrast with her role in "Let Him Go" where she played an evil matriarch in rural southwest U.S.  I'm a big fan, her acting range is incredible.

I have this on my list thanks to some rave reviews about how light and fun it is. Otherwise it's not something I would normally select.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1859 on: August 25, 2022, 11:42:18 AM »
The Manti Te'o episodes in Netflix' Untold Stories series are riveting, even for a non-football fan. Two episodes, about an hour each, so it feels like a movie.

EscapeVelocity2020

• Magnum Stache
    • EscapeVelocity2020
« Reply #1860 on: August 25, 2022, 12:21:02 PM »
The Manti Te'o episodes in Netflix' Untold Stories series are riveting, even for a non-football fan. Two episodes, about an hour each, so it feels like a movie.

I was surprised that Mantai contributed to those Un-Told episodes since it refreshed such a negative part of his past.  I only vaguely recalled the event from the ~2010's, but watching it with fresh eyes in our online social media world (and having seen the 2010 movie Catfish, which really was 'sophisticated' at the time) made him look even more foolishly naïve.  It did not age well, even though they tried to repeatedly call it a 'sophisticated hoax'.  Somehow, I think that is just Te'o's nature or maybe Netflix made him an offer he couldn't refuse, but my kids didn't really get how he got catfished so badly.

It kept me entertained though, definitely... 

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1861 on: August 26, 2022, 06:33:32 AM »

If you liked Eraserhead I think you will be open to Lost Highway.  Lost Highway is less coherent than Blue Velvet, more like Mullholland Drive (if you've seen that one).  I think Lynch is a great filmmaker (compared to sometimes being iffy as a screenwriter or showrunner) so would definitely take the opportunity to watch it on a big screen.

Yeah, I forgot about Mullholland Drive. I liked that movie a lot, not even knowing anything about Lynch at the time. I don't think I have ever seen a Lynch on the big screen, actually.

OK, I'm psyched now! I'm gonna go see it.

Thanks, StarBright, and also Escape Velocity.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1862 on: August 26, 2022, 06:47:20 AM »
'Respect', a movie about the life of Aretha Franklin. Very well done. Much different from the movie 'Elvis'.  Different structure, somehow.

I liked this more than the 'Elvis' movie.  Maybe partly because I like the music better.

Lots of gospel and gospel-like music, more than the 'Elvis' movie.   

Jennifer Hudson plays Aretha, and uses her own voice.

Forrest Whittaker plays the father, and although I usually can't stand him, I liked his role and acting here.   

Did you know Aretha's first big hit came when she went to Muscle Shoals recording studio in Alabama, and recorded with white musicians, who just happened to get her music? 

Saw it on  DVD.   

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #1863 on: August 26, 2022, 07:50:07 AM »

I was surprised that Mantai contributed to those Un-Told episodes since it refreshed such a negative part of his past.  I only vaguely recalled the event from the ~2010's, but watching it with fresh eyes in our online social media world (and having seen the 2010 movie Catfish, which really was 'sophisticated' at the time) made him look even more foolishly naïve.  It did not age well, even though they tried to repeatedly call it a 'sophisticated hoax'.  Somehow, I think that is just Te'o's nature or maybe Netflix made him an offer he couldn't refuse, but my kids didn't really get how he got catfished so badly.

It kept me entertained though, definitely...

I finished it last night and it is interesting.  I remember the memes and jokes but didn't really pay attention to how he played after the story was publicized.  Even though it happened at the same time he had a step up in competition (Alabama, then the NFL); I'm sure it had a negative effect.   

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1864 on: August 26, 2022, 04:56:21 PM »

I'm still mad at the world for Aidan Quinn not becoming a much bigger star.

Same.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #1865 on: August 27, 2022, 07:56:09 AM »
Finally got around to watching "Everything Everywhere All at Once." Truly a stunning film, and so creative it made my heart hurt. I think I will have to watch it again.

Just watched this and it was really, really good. I do not ever want to rewatch it however. Sometimes things hit me so hard I know it's a one and done type of thing. I have turned very tenderhearted over the last few years and things about regrets/life choices are too much for me to experience over and over again. I felt the same about a book recently called The Midnight Library. (so good, but holy shit it hurt to read sometimes).

I feel you there. I think it hit me differently.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1866 on: August 28, 2022, 02:52:05 AM »
Mid90s - Jonah Hill's directorial debut with A24. So far we haven't had a miss from the A24 films we've seen to date.

EDIT TO ADD: Vulture wants to assure me that they have indeed had some real duds, they just haven't come my way https://www.vulture.com/article/a24-movies-ranked.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 02:55:16 AM by mspym »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1867 on: August 28, 2022, 12:35:40 PM »
Went to the one-time-only showing of Lynch's The Lost Highway. (In the movie, the title is "Lost Highway"). 

Wow! Complete Lynch. Very sexy. Good soundtrack. Not much actual highway going on. Robert Blake in mime makeup. Bizarre.   

Interesting. Glad I got a chance to see it on the big screen.

There were about 30 of us watching.   

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1868 on: August 28, 2022, 01:58:47 PM »
Went to the one-time-only showing of Lynch's The Lost Highway. (In the movie, the title is "Lost Highway"). 

Wow! Complete Lynch. Very sexy. Good soundtrack. Not much actual highway going on. Robert Blake in mime makeup. Bizarre.   

Gotta love a Trent Reznor movie soundtrack. Dude knows how to create a mood. This was right around the time he pivoted away from albums and got into movie music.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 02:00:30 PM by Malcat »

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1869 on: August 28, 2022, 05:12:04 PM »

Gotta love a Trent Reznor movie soundtrack. Dude knows how to create a mood. This was right around the time he pivoted away from albums and got into movie music.

I thought for sure I heard some Metallica in there, but it must have been Rammstein.

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1870 on: August 28, 2022, 06:34:01 PM »
My wife and I watched 3000 Years of Longing at the theater yesterday.  I really enjoyed it and was really taken in by the story telling and originality.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1871 on: August 29, 2022, 07:55:21 AM »
My wife and I watched 3000 Years of Longing at the theater yesterday.  I really enjoyed it and was really taken in by the story telling and originality.

DW and I have been wanting to see that one, you would say its worth going to the theater for?

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1872 on: August 29, 2022, 07:56:15 AM »
Went to a special showing of "Spirited Away" yesterday. Excellent film! I've seen it before, but first time at a theater. A beautiful experience and really enjoyable film. The Mrs. especially loved it!

uniwelder

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1873 on: August 29, 2022, 08:10:20 AM »

DW and I have been wanting to see that one, you would say its worth going to the theater for?

I think the theater is the only option for this movie. Yes, it was a great experience if you’re looking for something thoughtful. Unfortunately, there were only about 20 others in the local theater with us. It was hard to tell what the movie was about by watching the trailer, but I listened to a few reviews beforehand, and that’s what got my interest.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1874 on: August 29, 2022, 08:30:47 AM »
Went to a special showing of "Spirited Away" yesterday. Excellent film! I've seen it before, but first time at a theater. A beautiful experience and really enjoyable film. The Mrs. especially loved it!

It's my favourite of Miyazaki's work.  Fun story, good kid's fantasy flick.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1875 on: August 29, 2022, 09:49:28 AM »
We watched Elvis last night at home. I liked it. Was impressed with Austin Butler's acting and singing. I felt it was edited for someone younger than me who really likes fast cuts. I did not like the Colonel Tom Parker character but I guess that was the point. Which there was less focus on him, more on everything else.

Our teenager was fascinated by this movie. Wants to hear more Elvis music, see more Elvis movies. I'll watch a few Elvis 60s movies with them. Discussions about a family trip to see Memphis soon. We talked about the music and visiting the civil rights museum too.

We want our kids to understand the civil rights period more than we did. Our southern public school did not speak about that era ever. And with the recent current events, we think it is a very important subject to study. Making up at home for the limitations of public school education. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1876 on: August 29, 2022, 09:57:15 AM »
We want our kids to understand the civil rights period more than we did. Our southern public school did not speak about that era ever. And with the recent current events, we think it is a very important subject to study. Making up at home for the limitations of public school education.

I remember that we watched several movies and read a few books about the US civil rights era in class in high school . . . Mississippi Burning and To Kill A Mockingbird both spring to mind, although I remember others too.  It's bizarre to hear that the US fails to educate about important parts of it's own history.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1877 on: August 30, 2022, 12:13:29 AM »

I remember that we watched several movies and read a few books about the US civil rights era in class in high school . . . Mississippi Burning and To Kill A Mockingbird both spring to mind, although I remember others too.  It's bizarre to hear that the US fails to educate about important parts of it's own history.

Not to put too fine a point on it...but it's schools in the American South that fails to educate about important parts of its own history.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1878 on: August 30, 2022, 08:30:32 AM »
I went to school in the 80s and 90s in southern Missouri, which is either the South or the Midwest, depending on who you ask (Missouri had both a Union and Confederate capital during the Civil War). We definitely studied the Civil Rights Era as well as the history of slavery. There are two questions about the Civil Rights movement on the state civics exam every high school graduate has to pass. If that topic is being scrubbed from schools, it's a recent phenomenon.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1879 on: August 30, 2022, 11:20:36 AM »
My wife and I just watched CODA (it came out right after we dropped our brief Apple TV subscription). Excellent movie, I can see why it won a bunch of awards. Also, as business owners we could totally identify with the parents and their expectations of the kids helping out in the business.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1880 on: August 30, 2022, 04:20:27 PM »

I think the theater is the only option for this movie. Yes, it was a great experience if you’re looking for something thoughtful. Unfortunately, there were only about 20 others in the local theater with us. It was hard to tell what the movie was about by watching the trailer, but I listened to a few reviews beforehand, and that’s what got my interest.

Great! I will definitely go see it!!

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1881 on: August 31, 2022, 06:35:16 PM »
'The Unbearable Lightness of Being'.  How bout 'The Unbearable Smugness of the Main Character'?

Watched 15 minutes and could no longer stand the main character. Very unlikable.

Maybe I will fast forward it and see if he becomes less insufferable later ion the movie.     

He is played by Daniel Day-Lewis. I liked him in 'There Will Be Blood'. Different character there, of course. 

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1882 on: August 31, 2022, 07:34:02 PM »
Watched a few movies on a plane trip:

13 minutes - like a 1980s made for tv movie. It's about a storm hitting a town and the title is because they have 13 minutes warning, though it's not referred to in the movie. I thought it was going to be an exciting disaster movie, but there was a lot of bad acting, cliches, and mostly the boring lead up to the storm. The storm was pretty scary, those few minutes were good.

I care a lot - Really enjoyed this dark comedy/thriller. Rosamund Pike plays a woman that gets court orders making her the guardian of old people and sending them into care so she can profit. Things take a turn when she picks the wrong old lady. Also stars Peter Dinklage.

Secret Life of Pets 2 - a great caper

Vertigo - DNF - I used to watch movies from this era all the time when I was younger but Jimmy Stewart's acting was just too hammy & Kim Novak didn't show any expression at all. Only got halfway through, kept falling asleep, but will try again. 

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1883 on: August 31, 2022, 07:44:23 PM »
'The Unbearable Lightness of Being'.  How bout 'The Unbearable Smugness of the Main Character'?

Watched 15 minutes and could no longer stand the main character. Very unlikable.

Maybe I will fast forward it and see if he becomes less insufferable later ion the movie.     

He is played by Daniel Day-Lewis. I liked him in 'There Will Be Blood'. Different character there, of course.

This is based on a book in which the main character is also unlikeable. DDL has been in a significant amount of movies.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1884 on: September 01, 2022, 06:57:58 AM »
Missouri is my adopted state and I find it  more – interesting —than my native state of Iowa.
The two sides of the Civil War within the state is part of that interest. Another interest is topography. And there’s history and buildings. We just have more interesting old buildings, more interesting history, and more interesting topography here in Missouri.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1885 on: September 01, 2022, 08:05:39 AM »
Missouri is my adopted state and I find it  more – interesting —than my native state of Iowa.
The two sides of the Civil War within the state is part of that interest. Another interest is topography. And there’s history and buildings. We just have more interesting old buildings, more interesting history, and more interesting topography here in Missouri.

This is funny to me-- I'm a native Missourian and I've always been low-key fascinated with Iowa history, prairie gothic architecture, and culture.

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1886 on: September 01, 2022, 08:46:47 AM »

I went to school in a metro Detroit suburb in the 80s, and we never studied Civil Rights.  It's not just a southern thing.  I very specifically remember that I learned that the Civil War was about state rights.  I had never heard of the Tulsa bombing until 2020.  I didn't know about red-lining until the Flint water crisis. 

techwiz

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1887 on: September 01, 2022, 10:43:36 AM »

I was disappointed Tim Alan was not doing the voice of Buzz. At the start of the movie they explain this is not the story of Buzz Lightyear from "Toy Story" but the movie the toy was based on. 

The whole family enjoyed this Pixar movie.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1888 on: September 01, 2022, 02:02:06 PM »
We studied the Civil War with some detail but all of my history classes in K-12 seemed to teach in a linear fashion. We ran out of school year before we made it very far into the 20th century. This was the 1970s and first half of the 1980s. So we didn't discuss WWII or the Cold War or the 1960s - all of which seem far more relevant than the adventures of Spanish explorers.

When I took History 1 & 2 at the university (same red state) - they did the very same thing. We ran out of semester before we made it much past the Great Depression.

Looking back on it, none of my history classes had much depth to them. Lots of rote learning. Never enough WHY built into the curriculum. Never enough detail. In light of recent history - I feel this is exactly what our southern government intended.

I was at school for an engineering degree and did not spend much time thinking about this. It wasn't until DW and I were casually discussing history in the following years that we began to consider how much we didn't know about a number of topics.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1889 on: September 02, 2022, 10:28:06 AM »

This is funny to me-- I'm a native Missourian and I've always been low-key fascinated with Iowa history, prairie gothic architecture, and culture.

Funny! There’s lots of things I can say about it but this is the movie thread, not the thread about where we would live if we could live anywhere. Suffice to say I would just like to know what “culture “there is in Iowa because I can’t identify it. Ha ha, kidding sort of Because of course every place has local culture.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1890 on: September 02, 2022, 10:33:45 AM »
I saw Emily the Criminal yesterday. Aubrey Plaza and Theo Rossi star in it. They are both great. It’s about a girl who feels compelled to pay off her student loans by doing low level crime which grows into bigger crime. It’s nicely paced, and while there is violence, it’s not super bad.

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1891 on: September 03, 2022, 03:53:27 PM »
Paddington 2 has been on my "to watch" list for a long, long time. Last night, DW and I finally rented it off of Amazon and I must say...it's fantastic!!! It takes about 10 minutes to get off the ground, but when it does, it's just a brilliant, delightful film from that moment on.

That acting is superb! And you can tell that everyone in the film is having an absolute blast, chewing the scenery and acting their hearts out.

I can't praise this enough, it was the perfect family film, and us mid-30-year-olds without kids LOVED it.

Fresh Bread

• Magnum Stache
  • Insert dough/bread/crust joke
« Reply #1892 on: September 03, 2022, 05:57:24 PM »
Oh yes I loved Paddington 2. The bit with the Hugh Grant pictures was hilarious!

alcon835

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1893 on: September 03, 2022, 07:02:27 PM »
Oh yes I loved Paddington 2. The bit with the Hugh Grant pictures was hilarious!

Such beautiful eyes! What a handsome fellow!

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #1894 on: September 04, 2022, 05:25:17 AM »
Let’s see, in the last few weeks I watched:

Spotlight
Moonlight
Power of the dog

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1895 on: September 04, 2022, 07:45:17 AM »
"Arrebato", a Spanish horror film. Supposedly a cult film from 1979?  It was OK, but not very engrossing. It's about film makers making a film when freedom of speech and expression became a thing in Spain, after democracy was reestablished.

Male and female nudity here and there. 

I won't reveal what the horror was about, so as not to spoil it.

I was glad I saw it just because it was a famous cult film. But it wasn't that great, IMHO. I guess it was groundbreaking for 1979 in some ways.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1896 on: September 05, 2022, 05:44:25 AM »

13 minutes - like a 1980s made for tv movie. It's about a storm hitting a town and the title is because they have 13 minutes warning, though it's not referred to in the movie. I thought it was going to be an exciting disaster movie, but there was a lot of bad acting, cliches, and mostly the boring lead up to the storm. The storm was pretty scary, those few minutes were good.

I care a lot - Really enjoyed this dark comedy/thriller. Rosamund Pike plays a woman that gets court orders making her the guardian of old people and sending them into care so she can profit. Things take a turn when she picks the wrong old lady. Also stars Peter Dinklage.

Vertigo - DNF - I used to watch movies from this era all the time when I was younger but Jimmy Stewart's acting was just too hammy & Kim Novak didn't show any expression at all. Only got halfway through, kept falling asleep, but will try again.

Agreed, Vertigo is terrible, I honestly don't know why people like it. The acting is truly awful and the plot is just silly. I really enjoy a lot of movies from that era, so I'm always perplexed when a really popular one is dreadful.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 05:46:12 AM by Malcat »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1897 on: September 05, 2022, 12:52:57 PM »

Agreed, Vertigo is terrible, I honestly don't know why people like it. The acting is truly awful and the plot is just silly. I really enjoy a lot of movies from that era, so I'm always perplexed when a really popular one is dreadful.

Agree. Interesting conceptually and structurally, pretty awful in terms of the actual viewing experience.

slackmax

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1898 on: September 06, 2022, 08:38:09 AM »
Update on 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being'. I got over my loathing for the main character, and the movie turned out to be very good.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #1899 on: September 06, 2022, 09:21:46 AM »
Update on 'The Unbearable Lightness of Being'. I got over my loathing for the main character, and the movie turned out to be very good.

I watched "Pig" last weekend and thought it was the best thing that Nic Cage has ever done.  Then watched this on a plane and though I didn't think it was as good, it did improve my opinion about his acting skills overall.  I still think he was best in "Pig".  It was a good role for him.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!