Author Topic: What movies have you been watching?  (Read 11089 times)

tyort1

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What movies have you been watching?
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2018, 06:01:30 PM »
You said earlier it's hard for you to separate books from the movies they become, as a general statement.  The implication is that you have a hard time enjoying a movie that deviates significantly from the source material.  Is that not correct, did I misunderstand what you were trying to say?

My statement amended to "it's hard for me to separate books from the movies for books I've actually read. Why do you care what I think? Seen any movies lately?

Saw The Darkest Hour today. I should really watch these Academy award and nominated movies earlier. Gary Oldman, bravo.

Just trying to engage in a dialog, that's all.  I've seen a ton of movies and I like to talk about them with people, especially if others have interesting ideas or viewpoints I hadn't considered before.  I've never had a hard time separating a movie from books (or comic books for that matter).  People sometimes say the book is always better than the movie, and I find that might be true for things like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or even Pride and Prejudice or Lord of the Rings, it is in fact not true in many other cases.  The Shining, Barry Lyndon, Blade Runner, The Godfather, Psycho, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Tarkvosky's Solaris, There Will be Blood - all ended up being much better than their rather average source material. 

Anyway, to your other question - yes, I finally got through the most recent Alien movies, which seemed way more interesting as just scifi movies and not really scary to me at all.  And it was cool to watch Fassbinder's arc from Adam to Walter in the android(s) role(s).  Watched Infinity War at the theater with my daughter (we both loved it), The Shape of Water (good but not great), Call My By Your Name (holy crap that movie was amazing, a real emotional punch in the gut). 

Before that I'd been watching some of the 4k remasters that have been making it to Bluray:

- A Night at the Opera (Marx Brothers, was great, man these guys are part acrobats and quite good musicians too)
- All About Eve (Eve is a sneaky little b!tch is what Eve is)
- Do the Right Thing (can't believe I missed it during it's original release)
- Blade Runner (saw the actual 4k disc on my 4k HT setup - wow, just stunning)
- Blade Runner 2049 (a good effort but just doesn't match the original)
- The Apartment (clearly an inspiration for the series Mad Men)
- Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (holy crap, people can be nasty, nasty, nasty to each other)

A few that I plan to watch in the near future:  The Virgin Suicides, Jabberwocky, Tom Jones, The Passion of Joan of Arc (3rd time), Get Out, Don't Look Now, Dragon Inn, a few others. 
Frugalite in training.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2018, 09:07:05 AM »
I have to admit...if I know a book is going to be a movie (like The Martian), I will usually watch the movie first and read the book second. I have less often been disappointed that way, and it's fun to see the world of the movie expanded.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #152 on: May 04, 2018, 08:43:39 AM »
Recently watched Austenland, which came out about five years ago. It's about a woman who goes to a "Jane Austen theme resort." The plot is somewhat problematic when you think about it too hard--the "Jane Austen experience" involves faux romance with paid actors--but overall it was light and fun. It would be perfect with a cup of tea on a rainy evening.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #153 on: May 05, 2018, 12:32:27 PM »
Also just watched "Three Days of the Condor" which is a Robert Redford spy thriller from the 1970s. Robert Redford is attractive at any age, but I now understand why he was considered such a heart-throb in his younger years. Also realized I had never seen Faye Dunaway in anything as a young woman, or for that matter Max von Sydow as anything but a very elderly man. Also, the 1970s movie versions of the CIA's computer systems were hilarious.

And "Ali and Nino" which is set in Azerbaijan during WWI--it's a love story between a young couple...one Muslim and one Christian. I really liked it as I knew absolutely nothing of the history of that area other than the broadest outlines. The scenery is spectacular and the actors all did a great job. My main complaint was that it went through a lot of plot really fast and I wished they had spent more time on some plot points. For instance, Nino, the young Christian woman, goes to stay with her husband's family in Tehran at one point when Azerbaijan is getting dangerous, and has a very difficult time with the conservative Muslim standards for women there. That gets covered in about two minutes, and I would have liked to know more.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 08:49:30 PM by Noodle »

OtherJen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: May 12, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »
Were about two-thirds of the way through Loving Vincent (Hulu). Husband had a rough workday and needed an early bedtime so well finish it tomorrow. Were both amazed at the effort that went into this movie: every frame was hand-painted on canvas. Its stunning.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #155 on: May 12, 2018, 11:14:57 PM »
Phantom Thread. Sir Daniel Day-Lewis is... so good.

Annihilation. Dream like. Trippy. "it's life sir, but not as we know it."

sui generis

• Stubble
« Reply #156 on: May 15, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »
I have to admit...if I know a book is going to be a movie (like The Martian), I will usually watch the movie first and read the book second. I have less often been disappointed that way, and it's fun to see the world of the movie expanded.

Bingo!  Glad I'm not the only one.  It seems like everyone else always does the other way around, but if you love a book, I think it's likely you'll be at least somewhat disappointed in the movie since they are always going to have to cut stuff.  But, like you said, if you love a movie, the book gives you an opportunity to immerse yourself more.  I've been purposely waiting to re-read A Wrinkle in Time so I could watch the movie first.  The problem is that I have no idea what movies are out...I think A Wrinkle in Time might have already been and gone at the theaters?  I guess I should just add it to my Netflix queue as well as my library queue and maybe I can time them to come up together.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: May 15, 2018, 07:13:59 PM »
I just saw "The Avengers: Infinity War" (thank you, movie theater gift card) and, damn, it was good. I didn't expect such a strong and forceful condemnation of Malthusianism from a comic book movie. And that ending. Wow. Very, very gutsy. To enjoy the movie the most, you have to see the other eighteen Marvel movies, because otherwise it could be a little confusing with so many characters, but the writers did a great job of making all the characters behave exactly the way they should under the circumstances. Quite the balancing act. I liked it.

sui generis

• Stubble
« Reply #158 on: May 15, 2018, 08:21:11 PM »
To enjoy the movie the most, you have to see the other eighteen Marvel movies...
The other EIGHTEEN? There are 18??  I know I haven't been keeping up on what's at the movie theaters for a couple years, but how the heck are there that many?  I was super interested in your rave review...but don't know if I'll ever get that far...

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2018, 10:39:43 PM »
I liked the new Avengers movie too, although I think I will probably like the follow-up better. This one had so many characters that it never really had time to let their interactions breathe.

For those who are curious about the Marvel movies, I don't think you need to see all 18 before you see the most recent one, unless you really want to get all the details and character nuances. The main storyline and characters can be found in the Captain America movies and the other two Avengers movies, plus the first Iron Man movie, the first and third Thor movies, and the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie. The other movies include some backstory that is referenced in Avengers: Infinity War, and a lot of them are really good movies in their own right--Black Panther, for instance--but I think you could pick up what you needed from the context if you didn't want to watch all 40+ hours of superhero movies.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2018, 09:21:57 AM »
I liked the new Avengers movie too, although I think I will probably like the follow-up better. This one had so many characters that it never really had time to let their interactions breathe.

For those who are curious about the Marvel movies, I don't think you need to see all 18 before you see the most recent one, unless you really want to get all the details and character nuances. The main storyline and characters can be found in the Captain America movies and the other two Avengers movies, plus the first Iron Man movie, the first and third Thor movies, and the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie. The other movies include some backstory that is referenced in Avengers: Infinity War, and a lot of them are really good movies in their own right--Black Panther, for instance--but I think you could pick up what you needed from the context if you didn't want to watch all 40+ hours of superhero movies.

I didn't watch all 18 and I followed just fine.  I'd add Dr. Strange to this list, because it helps understand the infinity stones a little more.  I saw those movies (minus the first Captain America movie) and I was able to follow just fine.  After watching a couple, I wondered why I haven't been watching more of them.

tralfamadorian

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »

All About Eve is fantastic. Also the only film where I get the Marilyn Monroe hype- she's so beautiful in it.

I got to rewatch Metropolis the other day, which is one of my all time favs.

DreamFIRE

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2018, 06:47:25 PM »

All About Eve is fantastic. Also the only film where I get the Marilyn Monroe hype- she's so beautiful in it.

I got to rewatch Metropolis the other day, which is one of my all time favs.

I watched All about Eve recently as well.  Not bad.  I like to mix in an older movie here and there, and I hadn't seen it before.

Noodle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2018, 08:11:58 PM »
Watched two terrible movies recently, each bad in a different way.

1. Baywatch, which is on Hulu now. This movie is not aspiring to anything and does not take itself at all seriously. The Rock is the Rock. Zac Efron is good-looking and pratfalls charmingly. We get to admire all the time the cast must have spent at the gym to look that good in swimsuits. There is slow-motion running, and also helicopters, jet-skis, and four-wheelers. Sadly, no-one punches a shark. It was perfectly acceptable for a rainy Sunday night when nothing else looked good in the queue.

2. Bel Ami, which came out a few years ago. The plot is about a poor young Parisian man who rises in society by seducing rich and powerful women. The problem is that Robert Pattinson, who had just wrapped up his teenage-vampire career when he played this role, gives you no reason to believe that multiple Oscar-nominated actresses would give him ten seconds of their time, let alone take off their clothes for him. The 1890s hairstyles and costumes do nothing for him, so you can't even believe they took up with him for his looks.